Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Seimore » Sat May 07, 2016 7:29 am

Seimore

Subject title: Seimore's Sketchbook

G'evening all!

So, a little background on me and...stuff. I'm 22 years of age and I'm extremely new to all this! I've only been at it for all of about, two months, so bear with me! While my goal currently is to snag a Bachelor's degree in English and head out to Japan to teach the language, I'm extremely open when it comes to using art as a career way down the line. Though, that will be many years from now, can't get too ahead of myself. I've steeled myself quite the bit and have really started to develop a burn for all of this, though going deep in the details will probably be a bore for you all.

Long story short, I want to improve, improvement feels fabulous! Of course I expect (and have had) many failures but as I've been going I don't let them get me down, nor do I plan to ever let them! I probably have a tad too much time to spend on all this, something like 8+ hours on days I don't work and at least 3 or 4 on days I do (though I'm really slow so it evens out I guess).

For these past two months or so, I've been following Sycra's iterative drawing stuff and have been focusing on the parts of the face. Recently, I've been trying my hand at The Bargue Plates and only just today did I realize I've been doing everything wrong. I've been a tad too focused on portrait and figure drawing (have been ever since I finished Betty Edward's book, Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain) and just today I decided to follow CTRL+Paint's roadmap in traditional drawing.

Though, thanks to my exorbitant amount of time I plan to do each lesson's homework daily. Sooo that leads me to...

This sketchbook is going to be a total BORE for a very long time. It is going to be studies upon studies. Though, I'm extremely open to suggestions! I'd love to hear what you all suggest for me to do as well! I outright encourage it since knowing myself, I'll walk right into a pit if I'm not careful!

But yes, I'll pick a few bits of my work so far so ya'll know how awful it is (Going to save some pain and not post any of the studies from before today. That'd take a while.)

So, this was my big milestone back when I made it. I had been spending time doing iterative stuff and some still life things but, yeah. I had just gotten Pokken and was eager so I figured I'd draw a Braixen!

I then got a bit more excited and tried to draw the human form... It was interesting, the arms came out so poorly I (kind of) finished up the lines and was meh'd. Looking back on it though, there are still bits I think I did okay, all things considered. Though, that can also be the fact that the picture was taken by a camera on a phone that is like...5 years old! (Shout out to any other JJBA fans :D )

But yeah, fast forward a month to my next "milestone" drawings. I felt like I wanted to see if I progressed at all, so I figured I'd try my hand at another character, though this time, it was chibi. (Poppo from 100% OJ, for those interested)

I had one of my friends (who is a fantastic artist!) give me some tips with this one. Needless to say, this one put me through a bit of a downer, but she told me to try it again and...

This one was made! This time, I was first trying to take her official art and copy it...The first time I didn't recognize that she was slightly turned in the image I was trying to copy, the second I turned her too much, but I think it came out a decent bit better.

The next day I tried yet again and tried to get her perspective a bit more right...which didn't really turn out proper so her eyes look mis-sized for no good reason

So I continued on and tried two more, both in action.

This one came first

And then the next day, I tried this. For now, I felt I'd make this my current milestone.

That is what I must outdo by the end of this month, and I'm hoping to outdo it by leaps and bounds. Though I do have many more issues to work on at not only a fundamental level, but how to approach my resources I have in general. I know I need to focus on fundamentals but I also feel I need to take time to apply them outside of the practice...which means I need to speed up a tad so I can actually do other things on top of the practice! It is sort of bad that what I do takes me as long as it does right now!

So yeah, that was just me cherry picking the fun stuff I've done since I've started. I could go back and show you one of the first things I've done, but I think it is a fair bet to say that no one here wants to vomit.

But! Let me get onto what I've done today!

Bleh, these ones got me, I knew I was AWFUL at sighting angles, but it didn't hit me until I was working on these. I'll need to pay closer attention as I do them again.

The contour drawings were uh...eye opening. It made me really focus on how awful I am. I'm extremely bad at capturing a proper likeness (Going back up, my Poppos bare only a mild resemblance to how she looks in game) I really need to slow down when doing these contours, but then I feel like my already bad linework plummets down even further. This I'll need to fix in time I suppose.

Recap on today: I ended up not completing every lesson's homework that I wished. I still had 2 or 3 more contours to do, 5 linear block ins, 3 negative space drawings and a still life to do. Though since I was hunting for resources and setting this all up I didnt' get to start until 5pm~ or so and all of this stuff took me til' 1amish (And sadly I needed to some spend time eating and doing other human things!)

But yes, my long winded introduction and bit of today's work! I'll be back with more tomorrow. If you have any tips on how to approach anything, by all means let them out! I'd love to hear them.

It is a pleasure to meet you all, and I hope to share these scribbles for a very long time!

Edit: Noticed that some of the stuff I did yesterday refuses to post. x-x Can't spend much time tinkering for them since I'm sure you all get the idea.

Edit 2: Well, changed to Imgur (mostly) the study stuff is available if you feel like clicking it, can't sort through everything to get it all set up again right now x-x
Last edited by Seimore on Tue May 10, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Beginner
http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18860 <- My sketchbook, if you feel so inclined

Postby melnics » Sat May 07, 2016 10:20 pm

melnics

Welcome to the forum. :!:

I wouldn't worry about your sketchbook being mainly studies a lot of users do the same thing.
It can be beneficial to focus on accuracy rather than speed when starting out so I'd suggest to take time with any studies rather than rush them to do more "fun" stuff.

Keep it up, you'll only get better if you do.

Postby Seimore » Sun May 08, 2016 7:57 am

Seimore

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, speed is an issue for me, not so much in..."I need to get this done so I can have fun" More so in..."This exercise shouldn't have taken me this long!"

I'm kinda eh'd that it took me quite literally all day to do what I've done. (Oh yes, I've decided to go even more fundamental-y and headed to Drawabox, whew is this interesting!)

First thing is first with the superimposing lines and what not. Last time I did these (over a year ago) I remember myself fretting over feeling an indent the felt-tip pen was making, almost as if it was guiding me down a straight path. Like I was cheating. I don't know if that is a thing I need to be concerned about or what though.

This...this took me several hours, and that annoyed me. I get that I just started doing it (again) after a looong time so it should have taken some time. But several hours for one page?

A little side story, I have a membership over at Pencil Kings, and one great thing is that you can talk with the founder directly. In a recent email conversation he mentioned needing to challenge myself to draw faster while keeping quality, just so I can get in the mindset of keeping focused on it. Well, it worked! I told myself I had an hour and a half to complete another page and I ended up doing it. I felt eager the whole exercise and a certain focus I've only really had when I was doing "fun" things. I'll be keeping that as the time to aim for for now.

Onto ghosting. Ghosting is...difficult! I already have problems with my lines, so I guess working on this every day will help out there! For now it is a semi-frustrating process (the good kind, though)

I only did a few of these, getting tired at this point so I'll only be annoying myself if I attempt to do something that requires this much accuracy. Hope to get them all done and then some tomorrow though!

Any tips for anything I'm doing is of course, more than welcome! Aside from that, I should be getting another set of these done tomorrow and mixing in the basic stuff from CTRL+Paint, have a nice Mother's Day as well!
Professional Beginner
http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18860 <- My sketchbook, if you feel so inclined

Postby Oky » Sun May 08, 2016 11:03 am

Oky

I like seeing people draw pages and pages of lines. I think the fact that you are able to spend hours on that shows that you are dedicated to learning. For every page you fill, you'll get overall faster and more precise. Keep it up! :D

Postby Seimore » Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 am

Seimore

Aww shucks, thanks '3'

Well, Mother's Day took a solid chunk of time out of the day, but I was able to get 2 pages of superimposing and some ghosting done. Decided to not fret and relax a tad more, had Sycra's videos on the struggle of improving and the follow up to iterative drawing on for the evening. I have to admit, I chuckled when he mentioned practicing to draw a straight line.

I watched one of Proko's videos on holding your pencil, I really want to maximize my ability to use my whole arm when I draw...So I tried holding it overhand for the second page of lines but I just felt like it was much, much worse. Probably is because I'm not used to holding the tool like that though. I still have my fears with the pen tip "cutting a path" through the paper, but I think I've figured out how to avoid that near the end of the second page. (Turns out I need to lighten my touch waaay more)

I went back to holding the pen tripod style for ghosting and well, it felt a lot better tonight! Couldn't do as much but something about it just...flowed better than last night.

I'll hopefully get more done tomorrow, though I do need to work on a self portrait for class and another final so...I'll try!

Also this must be totally obnoxious, this is like a sketchbook-blog combo :roll:
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Tue May 10, 2016 5:48 am

Seimore

Well, keeping up with tradition, Monday never goes as planned when it comes to drawing! Thankfully I the only real final I had to do out of the way. I still have a self portrait, but that'll at least be something interesting! (I was also thinking of doing a self portrait every day, I've heard that that was good for progress.)

I was able to get a little done today, though I really do need to work on increasing productivity. I put another time limit on myself for the end of the superimposing exercise and it worked very well. In comparison to yesterday where I didn't. I stopped focusing on the little things that were distracting me from getting the exercise. I'm still nervous about the pen leaving a path in the paper but so long as I take notice and use it kind of like training wheels, and make a conscious effort when the path wobbly or jutting out in a direction, I think I'll manage as time goes since the last block really shows some cleaner lines, probably the best this weekend.

One thing that WAS strange though, when I was ghosting lines, it felt extremely smooth, almost like I was "following the path" when I was superimposing, so who knows what means what? I'll see how everything feels after another week of this.

Professional Beginner

Postby Moe » Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 am

Moe

Keep it up! It's always good to see people studying their basics. And yeah drawabox is useful but it's only the first step, you actually have to remember to apply it( which is where most people seem to fail). But yeah, if you keep at it you will improve. Good luck!

Postby Seimore » Tue May 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Seimore

Applying what you've learned...

I get it is of the utmost importance but now that I'm thinking about it I'm kind of wondering how (in a way).

Though, I'm also looking at it in perspective with the first part I'm on. So keeping a proper pace, forethought with line placement, properly using the shoulder and always trying to produce smooth lines etc.

I suppose as long as I can pick out what the lesson is teaching, perform it enough while making sure you understand the concept and then consciously utilize the concepts in other drawings until it no longer needs to be a conscious effort, things should be fine.

After I get to a level where I can pass this portion of the lesson in I'll head to the rest and do the same before handing it all in for a critique. I'm hoping to be able to get through the first two lessons by the middle/end of June. Though, I'll still be doing the basic exercises every day.
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Wed May 11, 2016 6:10 am

Seimore

Well, class and work and what not, but I still got a page of lines and a good chunk of the self portrait for class done!

I finally was able to find an answer, I need to use a lighter hand for the exercise to avoid the pen digging in. While I'm noticing it is leading to more successful attempts I really need to push myself to slow my stroke down since the paper will barely hold the pen back now.

And! I was doubting my progress a bit but, what I was able to put out of the self portrait so far has me feeling much better. I mean, I know it isn't good by any stretch of the word, but it is infinitely better than before! In fact, it is definitely the best one I've done, I'm just waiting for tomorrow night to shade it and fix up the details. I'm trying to apply what I've been practicing with my linework, it is still scratchy but I'll get there. Also, the head looks too big because you can't see the hairline on the side, I made sure to go super light with the hairline dots. Though I'm sure it is a tad too big anyway, I'll see if I can sculpt it down just a smidge tomorrow night.

My shading will probably ruin it all though. I'm absolutely terrible at that, not to mention trying to capture hair (short hair at that) Any tips for that? Or for shading noses? :v I'm realllly bad with that.

I'll be back with more lines and the finished piece tomorrow night!
d7c7cae0-648a-428c-a521-efd55bc33a9c.jpg
bfa27ff6-79cf-467d-84da-b977e808cad4.jpg
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Thu May 12, 2016 8:38 am

Seimore

Weeeellll

I only got one thing done after everything today.

Shaded my self portrait for class, ignore the awful neck, background (seriously, this is just there out of necessity. I would have liked to put something fun in buuuutt...it really is late) , shoulders, and the fact that the shading on the right half is bleh. We call that being exhausted '3'. This took me like...6ish hours? I'll let it slide since I'm lucky the shading came out not as disgusting as it should have. In general though, this is a massive improvement from my last self portrait so, yay, actual progress and stuff!

Anyway, I'll have more things tomorrow!
e0dfb111-85be-4f4c-9e6c-43045f943bbe.jpg
Professional Beginner

Postby AkiTalez » Thu May 12, 2016 10:52 am

AkiTalez

Oh I see, you have a nice studies here! I'm wondering how you could spend so much time on those lines, awwww (gimme your patience :roll: )

Although you shouldn't wonder at all about the time you spend on a drawing, you will get faster and more consistant very soon with the things you are focused on (speaking for myself, two month ago I was spending like a several hours on like 1 gesture or so, and now it's much more faster process) Your brain would just get used to different things, that's just how it works.

I'm a bad advicer, so I'm only speaking from my own little experience/mistakes =) I'm not sure that Sycra's iterative drawing works for everyone, for such impatient man like me it didn't... Well, I'm actually not sure if all of the tutorials of "good youtubers" are good. It may be "okay" if it is something like "how to draw hand" video, because at least it would improve your understanding of subject and expand your visual library. But what i think is "not okay" is when someone tries to impose you a learning process as a whole, thats just too unique for everyone, you may improve much, MUCH faster doing your own thing.

If you feel bored of studies or anyfin actually, just try to draw whatever you want. I want to repeat Moe's state, try to apply your studies to the drawing, and try to draw with your shoulder more, altough use your wrist too, otherwise you'll get tired too fast =)

Your portrait looks ok for your level probably, and to tell the truth, 6 hours is not a long time at all, so you shouldn't worry too much about it, and the fact you actually drawing from real life is awesome! Keep it up!
Last edited by AkiTalez on Sat May 14, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Seimore » Thu May 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Seimore

I figured I'd get fast as I go, I just feel like not being fast enough now is stifling progress. Like I said, I'm going to push time limits on myself for exercises. Not to rush, but to speed up with them. As for iterative drawing, when I first started I was focusing on the parts of the face instead of the bare fundamentals and I did notice it helped a lot with everything, especially when I combined it with tutorials. So, I'll stick with it for the fundamentals and see how it goes.

As for being bored and stuff, it is strange. I have yet to feel bored when I do anything that "should" be boring. So I don't see that being a problem. Though, I really do want to do exercises and make actual finished pieces to apply everything.

Thanks! It is kind of off, my head isn't that uh...round. I really need to study up and practice making a base head, that is one of the hardest parts for me whenever I draw one. And ehhh >3> I don't like drawing from life for drawing from life. I like seeing the improvement as I go so I keep at it, but I really just wanna draw anime style. I'm waiting until I have a better grasp on things though.
Professional Beginner

Postby AkiTalez » Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 pm

AkiTalez

You may be x20 times faster, but it would still probably feel not fast enough =)
Sorry if I was mistaken, if anything workes for, you should definitely do it! And yea, drawing from reality is good just because you can kinda feel the 3D space, you can rotate yourself to see it from different angles and perspective... Sometimes when you draw a head (even a random female head), you can for example touch your own nose (or cheeks or chin or anyfin) without even looking in the mirror to get the basic idea of form/ change of plane. Maybe thats just some bits of information, but that may also help!

Postby Seimore » Thu May 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Seimore

Probably XD But if I was 20x faster right now, I'd be very impressed with myself.

Well, I haven't tried many other things, though I really need to get down and study resources and material, trying to balance that with the other aspects of learning is really troubling for me too...I have a few books on figure drawing and anatomy I really need to get down and read and there are some things online and all that.

And yeah! It really does help if you need to get a general feel for things.
Professional Beginner

Postby Kam » Thu May 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Kam

Don't care about speed at all especially in the beginning, you'll naturally gain it through drawing more, draftsmanship exercises which you're doing help with that to an extent but yeah, don't care about speed too much or else you'll end up rushing things and stressing over stuff too much (I do that and I should stop)
Something I feel like you'll benefit from a lot is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM3SHNCfpM
also I suggest not getting bogged down by anatomy and really technical stuff for now, it can take the fun away because it's both dry and difficult, of course it's just a suggestion... as is anything else I say, I don't consider myself one to give any orders or direction, just suggestions.

So going back to anatomy and anything technical it'll help to get a grip on basic forms at first (boxes, cylinders, cones, etc) which means at least a little bit of perspective, if you're learning from drawabox it covers it from what I remember of it, but it's good to look up perspective tutorials, I think there are tons of good ones on DeviantArt, here's one http://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Nsio-exp ... -400167286.

And if you want a book that helps on giving you a good direction with drawing Andrew Loomis' Successful drawing is great, it was probably the first art book I actually tried to read and apply what I learned from it, I didn't go through all of it but I'll probably take a look at it again at some point anyway.

Postby Seimore » Fri May 13, 2016 1:39 am

Seimore

Thanks much! I'll give those a look after I get settled in for the night.

Well, problem with me is, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. If I draw something and it looks awful I feel bleh'd, though that IS a whole part of the process isn't it?

I'll see if I can't just...draw something from the imagination tonight and see how it goes (Oh boy, this is gonna be good) Though I really do need to crack open my anatomy books and figure drawing stuff, I should try learning this and practicing the fundamentals side by side.

I do have Loomis's books! Like I said, I'm still conflicted on how much time I should spend reading

Said conflict usually just leaves me not doing it, which I know isn't doing me any good.
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 am

Seimore

Bleh, classes are over but my last one ran so late, then that combined with the gym and stuff... I wasn't able to start until waaay later than usual.

On the good side, I was able to do a page of superimposed lines in an hour 20! They feel a lot...better now too. Ghosting-wise, I need to go a tad slower.

I was going to try and actually draw something, but being sleepy, I decided against it. It'd only end with me feeling even worse than I do by not doing it at all :v

Thankfully I can spend all day tomorrow drawing, so I'll have time for everything! In fact, with the way things are going, expect to see actual pieces from now on, my goal is to put something like that up each day. Alongside exercises, of course.
b70cb09f-e5f0-4ee7-bff0-c26b26465de3.jpg
044c10d2-4c9e-49cb-b55b-6889ac1f2b7d.jpg
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Sat May 14, 2016 10:05 am

Seimore

Wow, if today wasn't a roller coaster.

Did my basic line stuff, I'll be planning on doing the rest and handing in the first Lesson of Drawabox by next weekend. I'd work on it now...but my pens are all almost dead :v Though, I've definitely sped up and I'm feeling way more accurate with both exercises, so woohoo!
(This reminds me, I reallllly need a new phone or to snag a scanner)

So, I decided I was going to draw an anime style face from imagination, I felt I had enough of a grip on proportions of the head to try.
It has been interesting so far, I'll be drawing the head of this unnamed, generic looking female character 20 times to see what I can do.

The first 4 times had me feeling nigh-depressed. All I could think was "I've worked so hard to do...this?!" Thankfully I calmed down and with some suggestions from my friends got on the right track.

I seriously don't even want to LOOK at these ones. Ugh, I was dumbfounded for quite a while during and after I drew these.
And this one wasn't any better. It just made me, ugh x0x. At this point, my artsy friend stepped in and made a suggestion for changing the shape of the head and hair.

And this one happened, it is certainly better. I stopped feeling as awful. Took an hourish break at this point since I had been at it all night and showed another artsy friend. He suggested I shorten the head a little and make the hair more...hair like.

This one isn't...as bad! Try 6 is okay-ish. Now, at this point it is pretty late so I figured I'd try to actually give her an expression and head to bed.

I like to think she is looking at all the other drawings :v Also I tried to give her a turtleneck...for no real reason in particular, just something about the way she looks screams that she'd wear one.

So, those are my escapades for the day! I'll be adding in more of this girl tomorrow and I'm looking to tackle a landscape from one of my favorite games, first in graphite and then I'll make a mess with some charcoal.

Oh and! If you have any suggestions for this unnamed girl, please tell me! I still have 13 more of her to draw and I'll take any suggestions I can get!
Professional Beginner

Postby HopeMetal » Sat May 14, 2016 11:10 am

HopeMetal

The neck is too wide. You can check it yourself by feeling your own neck and comparing it to the girl's. Also, you may have made the head too short. A good rule of thumb I've noticed is when you draw the circle for the cranium, the lower portion is going to be half as long, but if you knew head proportions well enough you would have known that, so you should study your own head when you get a chance to. I figured out that rule by mentally measuring my head in the mirror when I was brushing my teeth one evening. One thing that is important in my belief for learning to draw from imagination is this doing it in this order: Draw thing with your current knowledge. See if there's anything you're having trouble with. Look at reference. Draw from it if you can/want to. Then draw that thing again with your new knowledge. It's better to look at a reference knowing what you're going to look for than it is to just mindlessly copy the reference, because that way you don't know if you're learning anything and that is just frustrating.

Postby Kam » Sat May 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Kam

As I'm not one to sugarcoat things those heads you drew need a lot of work, instead of pointing out what's wrong instead I'll direct you to a guide to what Hopemetal said http://5019.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial ... -352414195
What I did a lot at the beginning was heavy usage of reference when I was drawing something, it was almost like taking bits from other things and making something out of them, pretty much frankenstiening art, then it was the case of making fanart of a character and drawing a pose and angle that isn't too different but still a bit different from the reference, so those are things you can try, and then you can try some entirely freehand sketches inbetween and see how those turn out, theory is important yeah like head proportions and whatever but I honestly had no idea about those but didn't draw terribly deformed heads, at least... even looking back now they don't look good in fact I think they're pretty bad but they still don't look THAT awful, so what I want to get to after saying that is leaving a bit of it to intuition isn't a bad idea, it might be if you're really analytical but I'm not so trying to make perfect sense out of everything hurts my head a lot.

Postby Seimore » Sat May 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Seimore

Thanks much! Yeah, I felt the neck was too wide, I try to start it in the right area and I never make it curve inward enough.

As for the head, yeah, I'm really...really bad at making a good base for a head. It always ends up wrong one way or another. After/during this I should probably spend some time drawing/measuring/drawing over skulls to really get the idea of it all since I think my bases are the absolute weakest part right now. After I do my basic line practice I'll probably draw some skulls as close to correct as possible and draw her over it to get a feel for things.

Thanks for the input!

Clicked too fast, just saw Kam's post.

Thanks, yeah it certainly does need a ton of work. I'll read over that tutorial and give it a try. I was trying to draw from no reference to see what I was capable of (ding ding ding, not much) so I may need to try something else to actually learn this faster. I tried doing something similar to your method actually, those pictures right in the beginning of this thread I made follow something close. Multiple references, slightly different angle (the arms were a bit too radical of a pose for me though :x) I guess I'm just trying to figure out another way to learn and apply things...

This may not be working though.
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Sat May 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Seimore

Little update

After wallowing about for a bit (what can I say, it's good for the soul) I've decided on something.

Using what Hopemetal and Kam said, along with the Shrimp Method and Sycra's Iterative drawing, I'm giving myself 14 days. I'll be going over the skull, parts of the face, the human face itself etc etc with the Shrimp Method these coming days and I'll then be taking the results and drawing iteratively.

Each day I'll be putting up a new version of the girl to gauge improvement. It'll result in 21 drawings of her, a bit more than I said, but what can you do?

I'll be attempting to do the basic Drawabox stuff at the end of the day, even if it is only a little.

If you have ANY suggestions on what else to study or can point me towards resources, that'd be fantastic. After that bit of wallowing I've revitalized and I want to make something great. I know I can, I just need to do the necessary stuff.

Today's main focus is the skull, after that I'll probably be heading towards the eyes since I like them so much! I'll be cracking open my anatomy books and reading over the head as a whole too, but if you have any other suggestions just throw them in!
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Sun May 15, 2016 6:52 am

Seimore

Welllll

I've been better, after yesterday's foray with the heads and stuff I spent most of today pretty down. I know it has only been 2.5 months, but I just feel like I should have been able to do better.

I did work my way out of the slump, but I figured I'd stop earlier and spend some time reading all the anatomy/figure drawing books I have. I've started the Shrimp Method (I did need to grab some tracing paper though so I couldn't start until way later) I'd post my progress but uh, it is just all tracings right now. Tomorrow, expect many skulls, then I'll be heading to eyes on Monday, shifting skulls to iterative stuff, then noses on Tuesday, Lips on Wednesday, ears Thursday, hair on Friday. Each day is going to include the Shrimp Method of the new portion with the previous days being added to the repertoire of iterative drawings, along with an updated version of that head.

Saturday I'll be studying the planes of the face, Sunday...Uh...the uh...neck? I can really use suggestions for when I get to that point since this'll be a two week process starting tomorrow. (The iterative drawings will be sticking around for a while though.) I may have fallen down and not gotten much done today, but I did get back up so I'll look at it like that.

Besides, if I wasn't so disappointed in these faces and get the critiques, I wouldn't be doing these studies like this!

Oh yeah, I did lines today though, my parents were out most of the day so I asked them to swing by a crafts store to grab the tracing paper which freed me up to do a page. (Albeit, slowly and stuff because I was still pretty bleh'd at the time) But they came out nice at least! I think it'd be more noticeable if all my pens weren't nearly dead though.

Anyway! Back with more tomorrow!
d36ed9b7-7cd4-4506-aff6-0683f36eb859.jpg
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Mon May 16, 2016 5:37 am

Seimore

Well, I ended up taking it a bit easier today. Talked with some friends that I haven't gotten to for a while because of drawing and stuff.

Skull study though! Traced more and I've been trying to copy my references, gone through frontal and profile so far.

Well, teeth suck, ignore the teeth entirely please :v aside from that, I can feel my understanding of the skull getting a bit better with each drawing.

The first one just felt flat. I then realized I was being stupid and didn't have the temple line feel like it is protruding from the cranium.

The jaw felt messed up throughout until I realized that it is extending back in space (which I am still having difficulty displaying with line only) and the lower jaw curves (You think after tracing, reading etc, I'd get this stuff, eh?)

I felt kind of satisfied with the frontal stuff so I went on to profile. Tomorrow I'll finish that up and go through a few more references before I try and draw them in different angles entirely and with an open mouth etc. I'm not going to go too too in detail since I'm just trying to learn/figure out how to understand the skull as a base.

I'll also be trying to squeeze in Drawabox things, I -do- actually want to progress through the lessons after all.
81eefdeb-37f1-49da-85a4-27f6eef23ec8.jpg
Try 1
cd77c99b-2ade-4c97-8a63-45098a21e7db.jpg
Try 2
33c1009e-ef17-4483-aa2b-19c3621cf651.jpg
Try 3
ec44bf95-1dc1-459c-9525-e5b3fb09f294.jpg
Try 4
76eacc1c-a485-41e1-81e8-2d259eb7b611.jpg
Profile 1
cde558ec-7a13-4f3e-a994-76dccfb5755a.jpg
Profile 2
Professional Beginner

Postby Seimore » Tue May 17, 2016 4:27 am

Seimore

Welllll, I was still in that slump but I finally worked my way out of it (this time for real!)

I guess I really felt like I was lacking direction, and I mentioned so over in my Pencil Kings sketchbook. I was pointed towards their Challenges that focus on the fundamentals in a 30 day class-like environment soooo I figured I'd spend my summer on those, along with trying to get through Drawabox's lessons (as soon as my new pens come in Wednesday)

I took it easier tonight since I plan to go even harder this Wednesday, and I was awfully sleepy up until a few minutes ago (and of course, it's time for bed :roll: )

Practiced ghosting, which was really sloppy until I started to wake up :v and then I tried making lines that were waaaay too long for me right now. I also tried to force myself to get better at making lines from angles I find uncomfortable, I prefer to draw them from Left to Right at a 90 degree angle, though an upward diagonal works just as well. So I tried right to left (awkward), downward (not that bad) upward (absolutely awful! At least until it goes into a right angle).

Anyway! More ghosting tomorrow since I still find it awkward, but I can feel it improving (though tonight was a bit skewed). I'll be doing a bit more tomorrow and I'm super excited to start the first Challenge on Wednesday and start working on the lesson 1 part 1 homework for real! I feel like I finally have some direction that I should be going in, for the summer at least, I do have plans for afterward though so I'm ready to see how much I can improve in the next 3.5~ months!
9b8f56e0-a92c-4b92-87f9-ee947aeb413d.jpg
127a93cd-d81d-4c65-acf7-80875ee222d2.jpg
Professional Beginner

Next

Return to Sketchbook