Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby thereforeisam » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 am

thereforeisam

Subject title: Sam Dabbles [NSFW]

Hey everyone,

I stumbled on here about a month ago while procrastinating on my research and have been prowling the forums ever since! I love the breadth of talent and limitless support I've seen from you all in my wanderings and thought it was high time I joined in.

I'm a 22-year-old mechanical engineering grad student with interests in drawing, singing, running, and computering/gaming. Stuffing these things into the time that I do not spend "engineering" is quite a task, and as such I do not put as much effort into my drawing as I would like.

I've never really drawn seriously, often drawing for a week or two at a time and then letting it slip as other tasks pile up. But now that I'm trying to become a "real person" and be disciplined as I once knew how to be (college had a funny way of wringing that out of me), I thought finding some friends might help me stay on track and really make some artistic progress.

So with that said, I've posted some images here as a start; some are old, and some are from the past couple of weeks when I've been home.

Old stuff first! Some portraits:
Spoiler: show

A person and an eye:

Well that was quick. There might be something else to dig up but that's all I've got for now from the backlogs.

Newer things! Quick sketches:

Heads:

Peoples:

And my favorite (this is old but I wanted to end with it):

Thanks for stopping by, and I look forward to being a part of this!
Last edited by thereforeisam on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just trying to produce more than I consume.
My Sketchbook

Postby PostBoxRomance » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:26 am

PostBoxRomance

Hi! Welcome to the forum :D

You've got a good start here, and it's good to see that you're using construction lines as the base of your work. They're invaluable.

Keep drawing and posting and I'll stop by to see how you're getting on :D
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby Fergato » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Fergato

Hello there.
Welcome buddy, nice sketches, keep on practicing, you have talent!
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Postby thereforeisam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:57 am

thereforeisam

Thanks for the welcome! Got a couple of digital things (from reference) I've been working on lately as practice, first time working with the tablet.

My Sketchbook

Postby Migue22 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 am

Migue22

Hi!

You've got potential in those portraits! Keep up the good work!

Postby z4m97 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:35 pm

z4m97

nice portraits! the eyes are awsome :D

Postby kaponsh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 pm

kaponsh

nice sketches! welcome to the forum :D

Postby thereforeisam » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 pm

thereforeisam

Thanks for the kind words! I've been pretty busy at work and haven't gotten much done, but I did try my hand at some digital painting for the first time last week and came up with this before I ran out of battery on my computer and had to get to sleep.

My biggest issue with it is that it took me at least 35 minutes or so; there was a lot of fiddling with brushes, but I still need to increase my production rate if I ever want to finish a piece.

I also think it was pretty silly trying to get any sort of detail working with a brush at 1-2 pixels, so working in a space larger than 50 pixels or so would probably be beneficial.

My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:02 am

thereforeisam

Threw together some head sketches. Didn't know where to start with the hair, but I think the face came out ok.

Tried to take some inspiration from AlphaPetra's work on heads, whose linework and facial style I really enjoy.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Last edited by thereforeisam on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Sketchbook

Postby Jesturr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 am

Jesturr

Fellow Mechanical Engineer! Nice sketchbook, really inspiring to see someone be able to stuff drawing in such a busy major.

Postby thereforeisam » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:43 am

thereforeisam

Got bored during class and made a sketch in OneNote (it does recognize pressure, to its credit) and tried to clean it up a bit tonight. I guess the light source is above? I haven't done much in the way of light studies. And I imagined she was looking over her left shoulder. Oh and I got carried away on the eyelashes...

Image Image

Let me know what you think I can work on!
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 am

thereforeisam

And thanks Jesturr! It certainly is a struggle to find the time to draw, but I do what I can.
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:57 pm

thereforeisam

My friend asked me to add some illustrations to a couple valentine's day cards she's sending, so I spiced them up a bit with some quick sketches.

I really don't know how boobs work. (nsfw)

But fox-bear-kitties are always fun.
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:57 pm

thereforeisam

Got some more updates!

Found a pencil brush in krita that I'm rather fond of and did a couple of head studies. I need to vary up the head positioning more, and I had some trouble with ear and eye placement.

Tried to do some foot studies that I'm not happy with. I began by trying to get the overall shape down, but it's giving me a lot of trouble, not to mention the toes. Hands and feet bewilder me.

I also tried to throw together a painting just to practice blending, but ended up having a lot of trouble with the subtlety of colors and values across her face. I think one of the eyes came out ok, and the upper lip isn't a very good representation (poor color reproduction, for one) but isn't too bad.
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Wed May 27, 2015 4:52 am

thereforeisam

Did a quick sketch today, didn't really have a plan going in but this is what came out.

And something I've been working on in the critique forum, thought I'd throw it here for archiving.

My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:59 pm

thereforeisam

Quick sketch work today, no reference. Don't know what happened to that one box...

My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 pm

thereforeisam

Couple of doodles today, no reference. And yes, I am aware of the impracticality of the second pose.

My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:04 am

thereforeisam

Quick head sketch today. Wanted to check and see if you all noticed anything amiss. The eyes look very flat to me; I didn't really take into account the 3/4 view when I drew them. Thanks!
My Sketchbook

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Ahh your first post of sketches reminds me alot of when I started out haha, that was a while ago xD
With all of these studies and drawings you're bound to be pro in no time. Keep at it!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby thereforeisam » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:42 pm

thereforeisam

Thanks Neso! You've got some seriously impressive work over in your sketchbook, I'm honored by your kind words over here in my humble thread. If I can make it just a fraction of the way to where you're at, I'll be happy!
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 am

thereforeisam

Couple of things to take a break from thesis writing today. Used reference for the first one only. Working on using cleaner lines (with limited success).

Quick sketch off a reference. Started out shooting for a gesture, but the torso was too complicated. I started filling in more than I wanted and ended up with this:
Here's the ref (NSFW) from Pixelovely

The torso just looks really messy, and the thickness of all the lines takes away all the volume. Pah:

Reasonably happy with this one. Still way too many lines, but it cleaned up better.

I'm having issues with proportions, which leads to scratchy lines as I try to slowly fill in the limbs to the right lengths. Repetition to breed familiarity appears to be the answer, but I doubt I will have the time/discipline to follow through at this point in time.
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:13 pm

thereforeisam

A few more sketches.

Didn't use a whole lot of reference for these, and I think it shows.

Things to consider for next time: struggled with some of the torso planes; just how big ARE thighs??; how do arms attach to shoulders?; what's a light source?
My Sketchbook

Postby thereforeisam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:10 pm

thereforeisam

Sketches from today. I am happy with the face on the left and the figure on the right. I had trouble placing the mouth on the left head; any suggestions for how to visualize it better?

My Sketchbook

Postby AkiTalez » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 pm

AkiTalez

Nice gestures so far, keep working =)

thereforeisam wrote:Sketches from today. I am happy with the face on the left and the figure on the right. I had trouble placing the mouth on the left head; any suggestions for how to visualize it better?

Well, I'm relatevely new to art, so I could be wrong, but it seems to me that your noses are a bit high on faces, so that's may be the case (but may be it's just your style, I'm not sure). Also I feel like it's pretty hard to visualise mouth with only lineart, without using values.

Postby thereforeisam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:38 pm

thereforeisam

AkiTalez wrote:Nice gestures so far, keep working =)

thereforeisam wrote:Sketches from today. I am happy with the face on the left and the figure on the right. I had trouble placing the mouth on the left head; any suggestions for how to visualize it better?

Well, I'm relatevely new to art, so I could be wrong, but it seems to me that your noses are a bit high on faces, so that's may be the case (but may be it's just your style, I'm not sure). Also I feel like it's pretty hard to visualise mouth with only lineart, without using values.

Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion! I'll grab some references next time and try to match up the facial feature locations better. As it is, I feel like his lips are pursed, which is not what I was originally going for.

And agreed, I'm still struggling with a reliable method to mark out lips. I've been trying to grasp the concept of shading the upper lip and the underside of the lower lip (like here) but my stupid fat brushes keep getting in the way. This here is another example of a style I'm partial to, but it employs value in a pretty significant way, as you said.
My Sketchbook

Next

Return to Sketchbook