Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Phanto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Phanto

Subject title: Phanto's Sketchbook

Hi everybody, it's been a while, consider this a reboot.

My name's Warren, but you can call me Phanto. I'm an 18 year old from New Jersey. I started this in 2012 but very shortly after, my year of 2012-2013, I got messed up. I was in relatively long depression and I've fought hard to get myself out of it.

By the end of 2013 I started drawing more and more; I bought a bunch of books to use for study, and now I'm looking forward to college (hopefully in the next couple of months).

My personal goal is to create for a living. I want to animate, storyboard, illustrate, or even go down the hard path of freelance. I'd be more than happy to just have a job within the realm of art, it's made up a lot of my life and my grandmother's life, and it was a major factor in pulling me out of depression.

I like charcoal, oil pastel, graphite, mechanical pencils. I work digitally too, although it's easier for me to get frustrated digitally than it is traditionally, but I see that as part of learning. Anyways, I'm going to update this a little.

February 2012
Spoiler: show
]Image[/url]
Box Study, done in charcoal
Image[/url]
Pen and Ink, Industrial

May 2012
Skull Sketch; H, HB, and B Pencils
Eueuuguguh old self portrait; H, HB, and B Pencils

March 2013 (this was during a dark period where I had a bunch of trouble finishing things)
Last edited by Phanto on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Sketchbook, right this way ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2405

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Ambiguity

Hey nice start, just watch your perspective, it'll screw everything up if that's off. Keep practicing and posting, I'm looking forward to seeing more :).
Last edited by Ambiguity on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Phanto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 am

Phanto

Profile of no one in particular. I messed around with proportions and such. In my head I figured this guy would be a bit hardened and nonchalant; I thought the stone cut nose would give him that sorta look.

Image[/url]

Done in pastel, reference from picture I personally took and edited (slightly) in photoshop.

The same picture from above done in Oil Paint. Plenty of things changed and this was rushed due to time restraints. I'm hoping I may return to oil paints once again because this was an enjoyable first experience.
Last edited by Phanto on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Phanto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Phanto

Ambiguity wrote:Hey nice start, just watch your perspective, it'll screw everything up if that's off. Keep practicing and posting, I'm looking forward to seeing more :).

Terribly sorry for not replying to this! Thanks though, I realize my perspective is a tad lacking and it was something I wanted to work on. If you have any suggestions for perspective studies I'd love to hear them!
Last edited by Phanto on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Phanto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:00 am

Phanto

Hey hey, bumping because I'm feeling much better about life in general. I've updated the first post so please check it out!

In the mean time, here's a couple of recent things I've drawn:

Pickles the Drummer, doodly doo ding dong tick tock doodly doodly doo I still need to finish him, heheh.

A little unreal colored toon-ish bird, just some experimenting.

Quick life drawing of a cow from the auction, this one was back during the start of my auction trips soo, around October/November-ish of 2013.

Postby Phanto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Phanto

Some more, recent, content. The first one's just a small concept for this character's hair. I was mostly messing around, and while I like it, I think I'll be changing it a little.
The second's another drawing from life of a very stoic-looking old goat.

Postby Phanto » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 am

Phanto

Some late evening new stuff. I "finished" Pickles, decided to leave him as a bust.
Dreads are confusing and I don't think I got them right, I might go back over them at a later date when I have a better understanding.

Also, have a tiny boring thumbnail, I don't do landscapes but I gotta start somewhere.

Postby Phanto » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Phanto

Gestures and Figures, there were a few that I took more time on because I liked the pose. It's a bad habit, even though I've gotten quicker.

I'm going to try to work on something more, I need to brighten up.

Postby Phanto » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 am

Phanto

Faces and such, the first one was me messing around on Sai. The second one was getting a little more serious on Photoshop. For some reason I get a very, very slight but noticeable jitter with my photoshop strokes. I tested my tablet on Sai (stabilizer turned off), and it wasn't present. It's the darndest thing, it's not TOO big of an issue but it's enough to bug me.

Postby Janos » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:53 am

Janos

hey buddy keep it up!!!

maybe you should sketch more with pencil first. Try to see relationships and proportions.

Sometimes i sketch the people in the train when i go to work. It cost me a lot of courage but it helps you to develop a good eye/view.
Or maybe you have somebody who also draw. Then sit in front of each other and go for portrait. I recommend coal is pretty good to learn values aswell :D

keep it up!!
Support the people you love set yourself a goal and do everything it takes !

http://jangerdrawing.blogspot.de/

Return to Sketchbook