Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kuronuma » Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 am

Kuronuma

Subject title: Fedodika the rookie

the last coloured portrait is amazing. you are sure gonna be amazing. how do you practice lately? because you improved A LOT!!
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby top_rocker » Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 am

top_rocker

nice job, keep it up. ;)

Postby Ven » Thu May 08, 2014 5:28 pm

Ven

Wow, I really adore how you approach colour! Your art has a far more painterly appearance, which is awesome. I'm a really big fan of the portraits you've done so far!
Ven|18|Canada

My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10110

My tumblr: http://ven-draws.tumblr.com/

I'm always looking for feedback! Feel free to hit me up!

Postby Choctoppi » Fri May 09, 2014 1:20 am

Choctoppi

Wow, your portraits are really good! I like the nice smooth texture of how you paint skin.

Postby Fedodika » Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 am

Fedodika

Choctopi: thanks!

Ven: thanks alot! yea, i like some of the painterly stuff, i' trying to tighten things up a bit so we'll see where that goes.
also glad you like my color choice, i'm really banking on those being my strong point :)

top rocker: thanks bud

Kuronuma: wow thanks! uh.. well guess i could explain it umm, just bust my ass all day! no really though, i get up work on a study
or imagination piece till around noon that's from 8 or 9am. then i work on anatomy till 4 o clock. by that time my focus is about
shot, so i allow myself to pretty much relax by talking on phone or even play a game/movie/go outside etc. i still keep working tho,
because i'm really motivated i guess. and here's why (but it's really lame):

Spoiler: show
I mentioned this in my inspiration thread a while back. i go to people who've shared their progress in a chronological sense, like
algenpfleger, sam carr, dave rapoza, mike azevedo, alex negrea, miles johnston. i look at their deviantarts and sam carr, miles,
and algenpfleger have folders you can download to view their progress from when they started like day 1. so, i keep those folders
and i found where i was at the time i downloaded them, and counted how many studies and stuff they did before i could honestly say
they passed me etc. then i find where they are at a certain point and honestly compare like, "could i do that?" and if the answer
is yes, i find the next thing they did that i couldn't do and say, "how long till i can pass that?"

I've learned alot about what not to do just browsing through their stuff, and ofcourse picked up some valuable techniques along the way.
seeing myself pass my heroes (at an earlier time) is more inspiring than anything! so if anything, the dates and times on deviantart
pictures and sketchbooks are my inspiration, like wow he got that good in this much time? it's all about being really honest with
yourself though, and not looking at them as inferior, but as a starting point of how much you need to do beat them. makes sense?
also suzanne has helped me pick up alot of techniques that would have taken a lot longer, like using the selection tool and little
things about anatomy, but having a mentor isn't necessary..

also, think about who's world you wanna go to. like i love looking at algen's and miles sketchbook because his world and the
vibe in his stuff is full of fun and opportunity. I hate looking at things that make me feel tired like generic stuff and people
who are delusional about their skills and just complain all the time.

and i remember one guy said in algenpfleger's sketchbook about motivation. "you only stop being motivated when your mind says you
aren't motivated." so when i get tired i just think of what that guy said, it's like why stop? you could keep practiciing, nothing
bad will happen. and then when i just can't take it i call it a day, that's usually when i post. hope that helps you! also, my
overwhelming desire to escape my home situation and not have to practice as much as i do really motivates me to just get it
outta the way!
piratical.png
from photo 8 hrs
noze.png

Postby Fedodika » Sat May 10, 2014 4:25 am

Fedodika

here's a thing i don't feel like finishin and another laaaaaaaaaaame portrait
POW.png
rn.png

Postby Kuronuma » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Kuronuma

hey, thank you very much for the explanation! Really means a lot to me. It's true I feel like I myself have improved a lot by painting, painting, painting! Just keep at it and you (and hopefully I :) ) will get there!

Postby Fedodika » Mon May 12, 2014 3:53 am

Fedodika

Kuronuma; glad it helped!

Here's a crap study and an imagination piece. i struggled loads with this study, so that's good, the proportions are total crap and i need to do an assload of more studies of these photos like this; with flat brush because my ability to see colors in these bright photos really slows everything too much. gotta be more efficient!
lips.png
hitter.png
spin.png

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 13, 2014 3:25 am

Fedodika

lots of experimentation today and stuff, gotta do it well... i'm always doing it haha alotta these may suck but the result isn't really the goal.. 8-)
png.png
hands.png
tofu gals.png
no opacity study, learn tons from these!
do u evn.png
crapplication experiment :D
small studies.png
10 minute studies with no opacity, trying to get it to read sorta in that time, learned lots from these :)

Postby SirRedLlama » Tue May 13, 2014 4:18 am

SirRedLlama

Wow I really like the wooden box and the metal thing. It looks so realistic yet painted.

Postby N-igarashi » Tue May 13, 2014 5:15 am

N-igarashi

Fedodika wrote:lots of experimentation today and stuff, gotta do it well... i'm always doing it haha alotta these may suck but the result isn't really the goal.. 8-)

I really like your hand studies. I think you should keep perspective in mind a bit more though. One thing that helping me is Dave Finch's demonstrations on how he draws hands and feet.

He give some pretty awesome break downs. Some one uploaded the first part on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81rW38UvAec

check it out if you have the time.

Postby You » Tue May 13, 2014 1:11 pm

You

What did you learn from them?

Postby Roger » Tue May 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Roger

Nice studies but I'm quite unsure what it is you are studying. But form is recognizable so you accomplished something! XD
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Fedodika » Wed May 14, 2014 3:14 am

Fedodika

sir red llama: thanks man! kinda what i'm going for...

N-igarashi: thanks! watched that vid learned a few good things to keep in mind ;). that guys kinda scary looking haha. hands
take so much practice to get right, at least realistic ones ;__; anyways, hampton was helping me break it down today as well; i wish
i would have just followed his book all along..

You: general things like brush economy, values, temperature, it's more in a gesture drawing sense though

Roger; Thx ROGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Here's some stuff from today and a quick craplication
rate.png
thing i gave up on
nb.png
2 hr master study
nensy.png
a study of boobs
nothin.png
apply, anatomy problems galore!

Postby Kuronuma » Wed May 14, 2014 8:54 am

Kuronuma

Hmm.. I have been wondering. what exactly are you studying with these? because it seems more like colour studies than anything else but the colours are still similar. and then you avoid hands and faces from time to time which can become a really bad habit.

Are you studying something specific? or are you just painting for the "mileage"? :)

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:59 am

sgtmikey101

you may not be seeing your improvement but its definitely present from an outside perspective. You should try a traditional painting soon and see what that does for you.

Postby Fedodika » Thu May 15, 2014 3:23 am

Fedodika

Kuronuma, temperature in relativity to value; something i really struggl with :3. you're right tho ;__;

mikey: thanks so much! i know i've improved after clicking page 1 on my sketchbook O.O! i'd love
to break out some oils maybe sometime, i'd have to start super basic black and white and maybe one color though, i
mean it'll be a trainwreck but it'll be fun to try!

here is a sgt study, an app, hand application from hampton, some foxy feet and a wip. i did some thumbnails for the
thing i'd like to see which one you think would be best to render. its a girl with kinda bdsm final fantasy n bat wings
costume stealing dragon eggs real original right?? .______.
sgy.png
appl.png
huehue.png
this is real.png
11thimbs.png

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 am

sgtmikey101

Fedodika wrote:Kuronuma, temperature in relativity to value; something i really struggl with :3. you're right tho ;__;

mikey: thanks so much! i know i've improved after clicking page 1 on my sketchbook O.O! i'd love
to break out some oils maybe sometime, i'd have to start super basic black and white and maybe one color though, i
mean it'll be a trainwreck but it'll be fun to try!

here is a sgt study, an app, hand application from hampton, some foxy feet and a wip. i did some thumbnails for the
thing i'd like to see which one you think would be best to render. its a girl with kinda bdsm final fantasy n bat wings
costume stealing dragon eggs real original right?? .______.

YOUR HAND STUDY IS GOLD MAN!!!! Those look great! Your sgt studies look great. consider implementing that into your own style. You are great at it

Postby co_wheeler » Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 pm

co_wheeler

awsome painting :o

Postby marvel57 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:36 pm

marvel57

Fedo- I've long said that if your art looks good it IS good! Any style,subject or medium, if it looks cool, you did it right. :ugeek:

Postby Fedodika » Fri May 16, 2014 4:00 am

Fedodika

marvel57: haha gotta try trad sometime!

co wheelr: thanks!

mikey!: who you're too kind!

some stuff and the last is a WIP
tribb.png
wom.png
app
funny.png
chicka.png
quick material study
illustr small.png

Postby Ambiguity » Fri May 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Ambiguity

Yo, Fedo! Make sure to give your self enough room on the canvas to draw(either that or allow yourself to go outside the canvas), you tend to squash the cranium when it gets too close to the top of the canvas for you.

Postby Fedodika » Sat May 17, 2014 3:18 am

Fedodika

Thanks amb; Lol i never noticed that!

erryday
faw.png
faw detail.png
hair is hard :(
illustr.png
there's so many problems with this i'll just account it as a good learning experience haha

Postby Roger » Sat May 17, 2014 6:38 am

Roger

How much time are you putting into these paintings? You seem to be throwing these out pretty quickly.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby deerbard » Sat May 17, 2014 10:42 am

deerbard

That redhead! Nice. Especially shading and realistic hair.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook