Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 am

ameliori

Subject title: ameliori's sketchbook

Hello everyone! Please call me ame-chan! I studied Media Design in college, but I kept going back to drawing. I took a plunge and just started getting serious about art last year. I love drawing faces, anatomy and animals. I'm not so good with perspective, but I still do enjoy it somewhat. Most of my stuff is traditional because I just feel very in control with pencil and paper. Also, I feel like it might be a good idea for me to get good with traditional first, get started with my foundations, before delving into digital medium.

As of now, I am focusing on value, composition and perspective. Faces and anatomy has always been my favorite so I do it automatically anyway. I really need artists friends! Not even study buddies (though that would be wonderful), but just people to talk to because there is no support from my immediate friends and family. >__<

Anyway, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook!
Last edited by ameliori on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 am

ameliori

First time doing ink drawings. I was shocked by the permanent-ness of this medium.

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 am

ameliori

Perspective and value studies today. Not sure if I should call these "perspective" studies because they are very loose and I was focusing on how to compose a picture with various kinds of backgrounds. I have a hard time visualizing backgrounds so I thought this exercise would help me improve

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 am

ameliori

Some random pencil sketches

Here I read the book "Framed Ink" so I thought to try to compose a picture focusing on the values and arranging the picture plane. I should do more of these

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:07 am

ameliori

These pencil sketches and studies were done last year. They look a lot cleaner because I used reference hehe

Postby Kuronuma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:18 am

Kuronuma

you have some real nice sketches there man! Keep it up .)
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 am

ameliori

Kuronuma wrote:you have some real nice sketches there man! Keep it up .)

Thanks for dropping by Kuronuma!

Postby ameliori » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 am

ameliori

Here are some more polished stuff that I've done this month.

Colored Pencil sketch of a face. I'm really scared of color haha

I was practicing drawing a street scene hahaha

Torso/Anatomy Study - A friend of mine wanted to put a puppy in there.. So I obliged..

Postby PostBoxRomance » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:03 am

PostBoxRomance

Some nice stuff in here! Keep it up :D
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby ameliori » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:11 am

ameliori

PostBoxRomance wrote:Some nice stuff in here! Keep it up :D

Thanks a lot PostBoxRomance!

I checked out a bunch of skin coloring tutorial and practiced with face. I'm not sure if the colors are right >_< Are they too saturated/not much contrast? I tried to tweak it in the Levels. Comments and critiques are very much appreciated!

Postby ameliori » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:03 am

ameliori

Second pass at skin coloring. I tried to do a different skin color this time. Pardon for the weird pose.. I'm not used to drawing in photoshop. Any comments or critiques would help a lot. Thanks!

Postby Fawkes » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:15 am

Fawkes

You make really beautiful work Pots! ^^ Can i ask, with the 'woman breast feeding a baby tiger' piece, are you using watercolours?

Postby ameliori » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 am

ameliori

Fawkes wrote:You make really beautiful work Pots! ^^ Can i ask, with the 'woman breast feeding a baby tiger' piece, are you using watercolours?

Oh thank you! The tiger piece was a pencil sketch that I digitaly colored. I was emulating watercolor and I was supposed to do it in actual watercolor but I got scared of ruining the drawing. I found out that graphite and watercolor dont have good results. It muddies the water and washes away with brushstroke, resulting in ugly colors (word of caution in case you were planning on trying it haha).

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Ambiguity

potangko wrote:Any comments or critiques would help a lot. Thanks!

Pretty good, I just have a few points:
Spoiler: show

Postby Fawkes » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Fawkes

potangko wrote:
Fawkes wrote:You make really beautiful work Pots! ^^ Can i ask, with the 'woman breast feeding a baby tiger' piece, are you using watercolours?

Oh thank you! The tiger piece was a pencil sketch that I digitaly colored. I was emulating watercolor and I was supposed to do it in actual watercolor but I got scared of ruining the drawing. I found out that graphite and watercolor dont have good results. It muddies the water and washes away with brushstroke, resulting in ugly colors (word of caution in case you were planning on trying it haha).

Ah I see, it turned out great anyway ^^ I always feel like i might ruin my drawings with watercolours haha :D I sometimes use ink mixed with water to go over graphite, I find it smooths out the grain from the pencil quite nicely.

Postby fleur » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 pm

fleur

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/ ... f54d4a.jpg I'd say here you could get away with adding some more contrast in the shadows and highlights.
You have some nice work going on, good job
17-F-England

Postby ameliori » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:49 am

ameliori

Ambiguity wrote:
potangko wrote:Any comments or critiques would help a lot. Thanks!

Pretty good, I just have a few points:

Thanks for this, Ambiguity! I didn't notice those hips. This helps a lot! Any tips on the skin coloring?

Fawkes wrote:Ah I see, it turned out great anyway ^^ I always feel like i might ruin my drawings with watercolours haha :D I sometimes use ink mixed with water to go over graphite, I find it smooths out the grain from the pencil quite nicely.

Oh I do that too! Awesome! Ink looks like grayscale watercolor so it's neat! I havent tried colored ink tho. I wonder if it's any different from watercolor.

fleur wrote:http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/bikasue/portrait-painting-first_zps7ff54d4a.jpg I'd say here you could get away with adding some more contrast in the shadows and highlights.
You have some nice work going on, good job

Thanks fleur. Yeah, I agree with you with those contrasts. Need to do more of those! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a critique :D

Postby ameliori » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:28 am

ameliori

Doing some feet and leg sketches. These are one of my biggest weaknesses. Do you think it looks weird? Any improvements you can point out?

Postby ameliori » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 pm

ameliori

Trying out a different painting technique here. The weird sketchy thing on her neck were supposed to be chains but I got lazy hehe. As always, critiques and constructive comments would be awesome.

Postby deerbard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 pm

deerbard

I don't feel like I could ctitique anything. I just wanted to say I love your sketchbook.

Postby ameliori » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:42 pm

ameliori

deerbard wrote:I don't feel like I could ctitique anything. I just wanted to say I love your sketchbook.

That's so nice of you to say deerbard! I still need a lot of improvement tho.. But thanks a lot! To show my appreciation, here are the 3D figures breakdown I talked about in your sketchbook! These were done last year and I should remember to do this again. I hope this helps you.

These had reference from Pixel Lovely: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

Here, I'm trying to draw poses without reference, keeping in mind the 3D forms.

Basically, it helps to break down the anatomy to shapes first before adding the muscles!
Last edited by ameliori on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby fleur » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:07 pm

fleur

Without reference.. they look amazing!
Keep up the good work
17-F-England

Postby ameliori » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 pm

ameliori

fleur wrote:Without reference.. they look amazing!
Keep up the good work

Thanks fleur! They look a bit on the bulky side to me haha but I'm glad you think so!

Trying to digital paint through a sketch here. I didn't render everything cos my hand started to ache (also lazy O_O). Still not used to photoshop!

Postby Fawkes » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Fawkes

Love the figures, the colours are great and really fun to look at ^-^ I need to practice drawing the figure more..

Postby ameliori » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm

ameliori

Fawkes wrote:Love the figures, the colours are great and really fun to look at ^-^ I need to practice drawing the figure more..

Thanks Fawkes! I'm really glad you liked the colors.. I spent a long time deciding on them to be honest! Keep on doing what you're doing in your lovely flowy style. I imagine very elegant figures in your future haha! :P

++

Yesterday, I tried to draw things that scare me as a sketching exercise. Putting it in spoiler in case anyone doesn't like blood and a little bit of mutilation.

which do you think would be great to make into a full blown character/artwork?

++
Also, I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier today and it was so good. So. Freakin. Good.

His arm looks a little bit off tho hahaha. Badass character wooh

Next

Return to Sketchbook