Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fedodika » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:39 am

Fedodika

Subject title: Fedodika the rookie

one more post i couldn't resist!

hey, while i was drawing this i was thinking... are the faces we draw reflections of our emotions or inner desires. Like the male
faces i don't give a real crap about and i certainly should more, but you know they don't look much different than the female faces.
Like i spend more time on the female faces than the males, and i noticed with female artists it's the opposite. Like Alex Negrea and
Miles Johnston draw faces totally different from someone like phil Hale or Xia Taptara. They're very distinct. Wouldn't it be
awesome if everyone who joined these art forums got like super serious and showed how many different kinds of styles and influences
could come about from just dedication?

But are the faces of the genders we are attracted to reflections of what our ideal partner would look like? or is it just muscle
memory telling us to make a face the easiest and safest way we can? i dunno, i really think there is a correlation somewhere in there...

Faces are just so fascinating to me, i want to make my initial portfolio pieces all portraits of my original characters, none that
I have the guts to try and depict at this point in time, but definately sometime next year for sure!
imag faces.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:04 am

Snakebreath

Interesting question, its hard to answer really. I personally think at the stage were at, and all amateurs, probably draw the face the easiest way they can, because it is really hard to draw it right. But I think when the pros draw faces from memory, they almost definitely draw features they find more attractive. Hell we do to, we just cant depict it as well as they can.

The human brain likes pretty things, most people aren't going to draw someone they find ugly unless thats their goal beforehand. :lol:

Postby Dream » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 am

Dream

It depends a lot on the person, i think. I don't think pros would have a tendency or preference to certain faces. It might be a natural tendency but i don't know.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 am

Ambiguity

Yeah it really depends on the artist imo, and it's not limited to faces either, a lot of artist repeat "body types" as well(hourglass, apple, pear, etc.). Dave Rapoza likes to draw "scary" faces, Loish tends to only draw girls that all look a little like she does imo, and Robaato almost always draws pear shaped girls(even if they're skinny).

Postby Fedodika » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 am

Fedodika

@Snake Amb and Dream; i think about this all the time, i drew this face today before i go to bed. it kind of looks like this harpist named mikaela davis. i found her because sinix liked one of her covers by elliot smith the song twilight.

Anyways watched dumb and dumber today, and dawn of the dead; noticed something about heads while staring at the beautiful lady in dawn of the dead; and also looking at the way jim carreys face contracts when he does those expressions i love so much and try to do when i go on deviantart XD just kidding... got some old tabloids to practice from i think that should be fun!

HEY LETS CRAZY TOM GUYS GET INTENSE ABOUT ART!
YOU READY YOU READY GET PSYCHED!
OLA!.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:59 am

Fedodika

hey guys; so today been working on shoulders from hampton, it's tough getting all the proportions down but if you just think about
it it all comes together. I think understanding the science behind things REALLY helps more than just copying photos. For instance
being able to draw the skull and place the features on the bone to draw a face. Of course understanding the planes helps with
lighting and such. My stuff is far from perfect or even good, but i really think the "aha" moments i have come from just
thinking and analyzing things... Like if i would have drawn those thousands of heads i drew a couple months/weeks ago with just
the knowledge that there are eyelids, sockets, cheeks, the flesh under the jaw, the muzzle, they would have looked totally different.
You can copy photos all day, but if you're not thinking it's not doing you much good. just what i think; probably not true for ever
yone..

Also painted my friend Torrii again, i think i've painted her three times now, i will continue to do that once a month around the
25th as like a tradition; I hope to one day not just copy her picture but like make her a superhero/demon or something!

Still goin hard, keep pushin it guys, the more you think the better you get; btw that face from yesterday is awful haha, musta been
tired or im just that bad lol
victoria.jpg
ref 2.jpg
bliss.jpg
more facez.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 am

Fedodika

went a little crazy with some brushes and overlay/color layers

Z Daniels
Height:uknown
weight: 8lbs
Fighting style: Color mode

Z Daniels lost his body many many years ago in a terrible head trauma. He constantly gets headaches but he is way ahead of the game.
he used to design roads, but misses it; contributing to people everywhere and being a good head. He zaps people with hue adjustment
settings and blinds them by turning his saturation all the way up! He fights as a floating orb that shoots lights from the center.

MMMM TASTY.

I figured out that the skin i'm trying to paint is so pale that it barely has reds in it and more just purples to indicate the raw
muscle.
11111111111111111terible poictua.jpg

Postby kocab22 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 am

kocab22

nice improvement, I really like that girl in corset :!:

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 am

sgtmikey101

Fedodika wrote:one more post i couldn't resist!

hey, while i was drawing this i was thinking... are the faces we draw reflections of our emotions or inner desires. Like the male
faces i don't give a real crap about and i certainly should more, but you know they don't look much different than the female faces.
Like i spend more time on the female faces than the males, and i noticed with female artists it's the opposite. Like Alex Negrea and
Miles Johnston draw faces totally different from someone like phil Hale or Xia Taptara. They're very distinct. Wouldn't it be
awesome if everyone who joined these art forums got like super serious and showed how many different kinds of styles and influences
could come about from just dedication?

But are the faces of the genders we are attracted to reflections of what our ideal partner would look like? or is it just muscle
memory telling us to make a face the easiest and safest way we can? i dunno, i really think there is a correlation somewhere in there...

Faces are just so fascinating to me, i want to make my initial portfolio pieces all portraits of my original characters, none that
I have the guts to try and depict at this point in time, but definately sometime next year for sure!

looks like we both have the same brush problems, i can tell in the shirt. My brush does the same thing i've tried diff settings but i think a layer ontop of yours with soft brush could fix it

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 am

sgtmikey101

Fedodika wrote:hey guys; so today been working on shoulders from hampton, it's tough getting all the proportions down but if you just think about
it it all comes together. I think understanding the science behind things REALLY helps more than just copying photos. For instance
being able to draw the skull and place the features on the bone to draw a face. Of course understanding the planes helps with
lighting and such. My stuff is far from perfect or even good, but i really think the "aha" moments i have come from just
thinking and analyzing things... Like if i would have drawn those thousands of heads i drew a couple months/weeks ago with just
the knowledge that there are eyelids, sockets, cheeks, the flesh under the jaw, the muzzle, they would have looked totally different.
You can copy photos all day, but if you're not thinking it's not doing you much good. just what i think; probably not true for ever
yone..

Also painted my friend Torrii again, i think i've painted her three times now, i will continue to do that once a month around the
25th as like a tradition; I hope to one day not just copy her picture but like make her a superhero/demon or something!

Still goin hard, keep pushin it guys, the more you think the better you get; btw that face from yesterday is awful haha, musta been
tired or im just that bad lol

really like this one! We should have a drawing session one day on skype or g +

Postby Fedodika » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 am

Fedodika

@ kocab: thanks man! comments like that really keep me motivated; to be fair i had a ref for that one tho :L

@ Mikey: thanks man, just keep pushing, something came about to where ican only be on the internet maybe an hour a day so it will be a while before i can get a new internet... but when i do, i'd be more than happy to skype all day!

This is a WIP any thoughts suggestions? or should i just trash it?
0000000000000000000002 fiel.jpg
image201309250001.jpg
this is my manican; he loves you <3

Postby Snakebreath » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Snakebreath

It has potential, try adding perspective and proper anatomy to the skull, it could turn into something :D

Postby Fedodika » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:31 am

Fedodika

thanks snake; i think i'll work on that idea somewhere down the road though; when i'm a bit better at composition; i don't really
like it and i've messed with it and im not sure how to get it looking as cool as it does in my head...

Anyways, here are some bridgeman studies and a face. I think i'll name her Jeb Monster after a girl i knew who went by that
nickname. scanner aint workin and i was happy with the lines i got on these i hope you can see. one day ill be a super tight suave
mofo

Im gonna go in my room and draw till my arms fall off; if i don't post for a while it's because I have died drawing :D

#things always look cooler in my head.
image201309260002.jpg
image201309260001.jpg
jeb monster.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:35 am

Fedodika

MULLET MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A VILLAIN
smart guy.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 am

Fedodika

well today was kind of strange for me; a couple relatives came over and it just brought back some memories that i'd rather not have.
This is kind of a rant, not really a rant but more of an apology. Guys, the last couple months for me have been really crazy, like
adopting this lifestyle and just always feeling on the edge about making it in this industry. I've had a couple breakdowns about it
but i've managed to stay on track for the most part. it's hard to explain, and i really understand if this seems pointless or
stupid to be worried about but it's just therapudic to say it.

I'm sorry if i seem cocky or egotistical, and i don't want to be at all in any shape or form.

When you avoid social interaction, i guess it has a bit of a cost; like i feel i can speak fine, but i can't handle the things
people say very well on an emotional level as i used to. There's such little things or conflict in my life that the tiniest things
set me off and it feels so stupid to be upset about this.

Like there was this girl, mellowmuffin, she joined the forum a while back and kind of stopped doing art. I knew her on facebook and
we would chat daily and i would show her the things i was working on. I wanted to get her more into art since she was designing
tatooes and seemed interested in it. She was doing commisions and stuff and i thought that was cool. but after a while, she entered
some contest and asked me to vote for her and i did. She lost and felt like that was the only chance at her dream. I thought that
was one of the dumbest things i'd ever heard, you lost a dumb contest on the internet and you're hopes and dreams are gone? I told
her that was a terrible way to think and she should just try to improve but i guess she felt overwhelmed by me pushing her.
Eventually she unfriended me and we havent spoke in months.

There was this other person, who i won't name, but you'll probably know who i'm talking about. I've seen him online and he's been
doing art for years but hasn't improved much. I wanted to help him so i tried to get him interested in fundamentals but he felt a
bit overwhelmed and just told me straight up that he had no interest in learning that. That is totally fine, i wished i could be
content doing that, i really do.

There was also this girl my friend went to college with and she was getting into art; i typed up a long list of things to help her
get started and in it i talked about the discipline needed to make it. after a while she just seemed to lose interest and was again
overwhelmed by the information.

I have a friend who's in art school at uni, and he's been there about 2 years, and he still draws penis noses and flat almond shaped
eyes. I provided him tons of links and information on how to improve and he never has taken a look at any of them; and he refuses
to take any of my help, and even hides his work from me, but i have never once criticized him or been discourteous about his art.

Goodness, it's so tough to put myself back in my old shoes, as someone who just didn't care about working constantly. A person who
just enjoyed the passage of time and didn't have this imaginary gun pointed at their head. It's stressful sometimes to think
about it but sometimes when i do something i'm happy with, i feel very good and get the "ego boost." The old me had a colossal
over the moon ego, and the me now has just been beaten into submission by the industry standard that i try to have no ego, and keep
it away as far as i can. I tell anyone who knows me that "If i start being a jackass, tell me straight up."

I'm so tired of being arrogant and egotistical that i can't stand it. It's a personality flaw that has always been with me since
i was young. my first post here, the death knight girl, somewhere in the critique section was the day my ego died. It was beautiful
and crushing, and i've learned so much about myself and life ever since, more than i've ever learned about anything. and sometimes
i feel like i'm judging my own self worth on my art; Sycra said never to do that and he is so right, but it's tough for me since it
is all my days revolve around doing. I literally put myself into nothing else; i have no other outlet than this for relieving my
emotions.

Maybe this is good to type, if someone on the same road i'm on comes along and sees this, it may help them feel better and keep
pushing. I must sound like a big crybaby, but it just sucks; i feel like i offer people my help and they just don't take it, or
think of me as being cocky and pushy and shut me out. I'm just trying to get better the fastest possible way so i don't have to do
it all later on; time keeps slipping away.

So here it is, my apology; to anyone i've ever offended or made uncomfortable with things i've said on this forum... I'm just
trying to tell you the things that helped me learn. This especially goes out to the guys on the thread about application. When i
see people posting, no matter how good or bad they are, i'm happy for them that they are doing the work or just having fun. I can't
even look at my own posts, no matter how good or bad they are, because if they're bad i feel ashamed and if they are good, i feel
like i'm feeling pride and pride is bad. But maybe pride isn't bad... i guess i just think of it as being that way because
of how i used to be.

So i'm sorry to you guys, Amb, Imcostalong, Snakebreath, and anyone who's ever felt uncomfortable about the things i say. You are all
great and helpful positive people, and we're all here to learn and grow, to form a community. thank you for putting up with me and
my off sense of humor and pushy nature. Also thank you Zjacklee for setting me straight a while back, i can't thank you enough for
the journey you set me on, it feels closer and closer every day. I still love art, and i never thought i'd want to do this.. Thank
you guys for the constant inspiration and help.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:38 am

Ambiguity

Fedodika wrote:So i'm sorry to you guys, Amb, Imcostalong, Snakebreath, and anyone who's ever felt uncomfortable about the things i say.

I can't remember anyone ever having a problem with you here. What's funny is Snakebreath had nothing but nice things to say about you last night without even being asked. He was admiring your ability to actually apply critique you're given to your work.

Postby Barbossa » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:46 am

Barbossa

So Fedo is arrogant and egotistical one here? Naaaaaah..... Come on dude! Sometimes you were the only one who supported me!
Thank you and don't worry about sissiess who cant stand a art-challenge lose, some critique or hard work requirement. If THAT brakes them down that means there are no chances for them in future.

I can't count how many times in the begining I was told that I'm suck and need to stop drawing. My best friends (dem basterdzz!) when I showed them something, told me stuff like: "What a piece of crap did you draw here?! Pffffhaha!". But who cares rly?! When someone tolds me I'm a crap - thats only my fault and I need to work my ass off to get better and show them all who's da man here! :D That's how it works! It's a huge motivation even if it's not pleasing at all.

But there was also people who said: "Hey! it's not that bad! But you may want to work on that, that and that. Here is some useful stuff to read and learn." And thanks to them I'm learned A LOT and still happy with being in art and pushing myself further! I can't live without it anymore.

Just stay on track man. Learn stuff yourself, help others and everything will be fine.
Please check out my stuff on:
DeviantArt
ArtStation
DrawCrowd
tumblr

Postby Jesia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Jesia

Im probably not one to write, considering i am really new to the forum, so i don't really know you guys, and so i should probably just walk along. Despite that i wanna share my opinion. No ones life is a walk on sunshine. We are all so fragile, and even very small things like some contest or the opinion of a friend, can make our heart crack a bit at times. It also makes us say things we don't mean or that we thought we'd never say.
The same way you find it silly that some people got impacted by these things, the same way you should think about how these people impacted you, it's honestly their loss if they decide to look past the help of a friend, (or stanger when it comes to forums or online help) and even though it hurts, you should just move on yourself, and continue helping, as Barbossa also said, even if everyone won't accept it.

Truth be told, many people are afraid of improving or succeding, this might sound super odd. But the fear of finishing one thing, and then be left with that, not really knowing what to do next, scares many. So don't blame yourself when people don't accept your help, it most likely has to do with something they are dealing with themself.

To not stear away from the sketchbook topic (as i heard once was not allowed), then i wanna say, that you have a wonderful sketchbook. I looked through it when i first joined, and there is a lot of improvement. So just keep going, keep helping people, cause i know that many will accept your help with open arms, and don't stress out too much. As i said life is no walk on sunshine, but the least we can do is not make it harder on ourselfs.

Postby Fedodika » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Fedodika

@Amb: snakes a good friend of mine... we used to skype and i dont know i just worry that i upset people because i can't see your
faces so i don't know how you feel about anything. It's like all my friends are avatars, but there are people behind those and i
guess i care too much about what strangers on the internet think of me or something. It means alot that snake thinks that, and crit
ique sucks but it speed up the learning process tenfold. i hope one day i can get a better internet so i can skype;G+ hang with you
guys all day. i just know that this is a small world, the one of digital art, and the last thing you want is a bad reputation, but
i actually don't know or ever heard of someone in this industry who actually has one of those.

@Barbossa: where do i even begin haha; you make me feel good man, with everything you do; i hope we both get somewhere soon with
art because i know you've got what it takes to get there, and it's people like you who can push through the crap who get better
and finally get the praise you deserve. Keep pushing, never stop

@Jesia: NO BODY CARES You're NEW.. Just kidding, of course, we are all people, and these are people problems. What you say about people
being afraid of improving is true; i knew this girl who i wanted to play music with, and i treated her nicely and expected a lot out
of her and she got scared because no one ever treated her like that; You're right about pretty much everything and i appreciate the
comment about my sb. I do have to not get so worried about people not accepting my help because if they don't want it and can't take
the stuff we have to go through then they just aren't cut out for this. I hate saying that though because i wished everyone could
go on this exciting journey but it's just too much commitment/time investment i suppose, and thats fine.

I hear all the time that this stage of just getting there and improving is the best time in the art journey, because you're making
mistakes, learning and having fun. I don't know if that's true, but it might be; i don't know i feel really good now for all you guys
responded, i probably would have been kinda depressed if you didn't. I gotta stop expecting the worst all the time... thank you guys
so much!

Postby SirRedLlama » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:53 pm

SirRedLlama

:'( I completely understand the thing you said about encouraging others and them not wanting to take your advice. The same exact thing happened to me but only it was a person much closer to me than an internet friend. I actually got into drawing because of my brother and he was much better than me. I used to encourage him at first and then I started looking at tutorials and art videos and send them to him and then after that I started drawing and using all the fundamentals I learned. This was about 2 years ago and I was young and stupid and I criticized him for NOT using the fundamentals that we learned from all the literature and resources I shared with him.

All while I was steadily improving and he continued ignoring the stuff I told him about. Then one day I flat out told it looks bad, you need to understand basic anatomy before you can get better. And that completely crushed his spirit and any kind of motivation for drawing. He never drew again. I hated myself for saying that and I still feel guilty, and on bad days I hate my brother for not having a thicker skin. He got over that now but I still think about it from time to time. Imagine if I kept my mouth shut how great he would have been. Ever since then I avoid giving harsh critiques and always cheer encouragement b/c that kind of guilt from crushing someone never goes away. I know people would think I'm doing more harm than good by blindly supporting but I'm sure there are 10 more people behind me ready to rip apart that drawing you posted on the internet.

(just thinking about this makes me weepy)

I just want to point out that I have an incredibly thick skin when it comes to my art so just because I don't like giving bad reviews doesn't mean I don't understand the necessity of honest critiques.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Ambiguity

Critique has become such a dirty word among beginners, they're either afraid to hear anything negative about their work, or they're at the other extreme where they start with "rip my work apart, I don't care!". Both of these are the wrong attitude imo. The thing is, critiques aren't about trashing your work, or giving you gold stickers, they're about showing you what you could do differently that would make your work better, or telling you what you did right so you don't break good habits.

Postby alnoth » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:07 pm

alnoth

if someone says "rip it apart, i dont care" they probably already know they could do it better - why not post the better work then?

Postby Fedodika » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Fedodika

@sir red llama, i think it's interesting to think about people like your brother, what if you never told him, then he got better,
but someone else gave him a hard critique later on? it's interesting to think, like would it still affect him the same way? Like
my friend who is in art school, he is like dreadfully afraid of any criticism, and even saying something simple like, the nose is
too low makes him get super pissed. the crazy thing is, these people who didn't take my advice, i wasn't even criticizing their
actual work, i was just trying to be positive and help them keep working, but harder. It seems like they always back out when i lay
in a sentence that is to the effect of, "If you don't learn this stuff, you'll be at the same level for a very long time; if you
want to pursue art as a career and not do cheap commissions for the rest of your life, you'd best bite the bullet and start drawing
this way."

Drawing isn't fun when you know you can do better, but as i've practiced more, i enjoy it more because i make things that please my
eye much more than what i used to draw. If only beginners could feel that same sense of fulfillment just once and then someone says
okay, work hard and you'll feel that much more often! but not everyone experiences that forever, once you become at a high level
and it's just a job, i'm sure the sense of fulfillment wears thin, and you must find something else to keep you motivated like
teaching or taking on bigger projects.

But you gotta have steel skin to be in this industry. It's not like music where you can be super terrible and people share you
anyways because they think it's funny. You have to be able to make something people find appealing and it seems the best route
for that is fundamentally strong representational art. i mean i just think of like scott pilgrim novels or todd macfarlane's
broken anatomy; sure it's not fundamentally strong, but it looks cool, and it's survived just on that.

@Amb: crits are such a helpful thing; this whole process is just about learning where to put things to make them look good and sit
in 3d space correctly... Why not speed that up with some help of fresh eyes? Everyone i know who draws in real life has this
colossal ego about how well they can do it. You know where that leads them? absolutely nowhere, and suggest them posting on a forum?
pfft never, those forum guys don't know anything. "My stuff is more abstract" that sentence makes it easier for me to sleep at night
sometimes. and the opposite end is kind of self defeating; it's just bad, but i think it's a little better than getting offended
by someone giving you good critique. "how can you defeat someone who's already defeated themselves?"

@alnoth, basically that sentence just means, "Do my homework for me."

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Snakebreath

Hey man, nothing you say is bad. Your the one who truely made me start my journey to get better at art. I remember I posted something a while back and you put me straight, you told me it was crap basically (which it was lmao) and that made me really take a step back and look at the level I was at. I'm the type of person whose eye level is better than their hand level, meaning I'm always satisfied with my work, or most of it, even though it has many flaws.

Your the first person to give me that honest criticism that I needed to get my head out of my ass and truly try to improve. Since then I've been doing art all day everyday, and like you know moved away from everyone to go to school to learn about art, this journey we go on is a crazy one, for everyone. I'd definitely suggest trying to get into a cheap art program, it will really help you with that social improvement. Hopefully when you get stuff sorted we can Skype again :D

Postby Fedodika » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:18 am

Fedodika

Thanks snake; i gave you that crit because i knew you could take it and do better and you definately have. I really think you
should do more sketches like your doing; make less of the day about rendering and more about learning proportions and anatomy, it
will help you a ton. just do tons of sketches, don't even shade them, just keep messing up and trying to get the proportions
right, then worry about rendering. Gesture drawings are a great way to do it, posemaniacs, do like hours of it; i know it's tedious
but it really helps your drawing abilities improve super fast. Nicolaides drills the importance of them, and you can essentially
learn everything about art through the figure.

as far as an art program, i have a long reason for it, but i'll keep it short and say i'd rather learn on my own, since i'm pretty
reclusive anyways.

Anwyays, enough moaping about in this SB time for some more goofy sketches!

This is Long Girl, i came up with her while practicing hampton stuff, and i still gotta work on a few things with the arms and stuff
but it was a fun way to apply some of the things i'm learning; i really like how some parts of her turned out, especially the shoulders.
It's amazing what just looking at a photo can teach you. i also thought about it when i walked into my kitched and the light was
casting a shadown on the underside of my hand, so i tried to apply similar top down lighting and thought about how that worked.

Crits always welcome, evil crits even more welcome >:D
11111111111111111long gierl 1000.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook