Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kaitsith » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Kaitsith

Subject title: Kaitsith's Sketchbook (nsfw at times)

Hellu! I'm Kaitsith, which you can tell from my name, I guess? And I'm from South Australia~

So I've been really debating with myself over whether to make a sketchbook thread or not, since I get pretty nervous when people see what I've drawn... Especially after looking at a lot of the other threads here, you guys are really good... xD

I don't have much self confidence, and I'm kind of a perfectionist even though I'm obviously not anywhere even near what I'd consider a good artist, or even a mediocre one. D: I've had phases of being interested in drawing since a young age, but like I mentioned I'm kinda a perfectionist and get discouraged pretty easily, so the phase normally would end after a little while of bad drawings... I think Sycra kind of used this metaphor before, but if drawing was like an RPG, and the highest level was 100, the lowest being 1, I'd probably put myself at about a 1... Maybe a 2 on a good day? lol

A few weeks(?) ago I was looking at the references that an artist I like uses, found something to do with foreshortening, followed a trail of links and found Sycra's videos, and through them Krita (my Photoshop stopped working, Gimp and SAI don't like my tablet, Krita turned out to be perfect <3) and later this site and figured, if I wanna draw, maybe the best way to improve would be to get advice from people that actually know what they're doing, right?

I'm interested in drawing creatures, people (like sentient races, not just humans - things like anthropomorphized creatures or personifications), outfits, weapons like swords, and, though I have literally no experience in it, I'd really like to paint pretty landscapes~ I guess you could group that up as "concept art"? I want to draw things from my imagination rather than real things, y'know? Though those kind of need detail, and I happen to be really bad at adding detail to things...

So uh, I guess I should probably post some stuff I've drawn, huh... Sorry in advance for the ridiculously huge image sizes, especially the digital ones. x.x I thought using the "A4" size preset in Krita, which happens to be 2480px x 3508px, seemed like a good idea... I used to get told I made my canvases way, way too small and my drawings were tiny as a result so I've resorted to the opposite extreme, kinda... And sorry also for the really long post. D:

This first bit is physical stuff I scanned just now from my book, it has really thin pages so sorry about the quality and being able to see through to other pages ^^; The date I drew the page is in the top left, though I probably forgot to put it on some pages, lol... It should all be in chronological order anyway, unless I've messed up somewhere, which I probably have.

(Ireallyhopethisformattingandimageembeddingworks.;_;)

Studying human skulls:
Spoiler: show

Trying to get used to Sycra's lightning bolt technique:

Rapiers from reference images:

(reference images):

More skulls:

Proportions:

Cat skulls this time, teeth too which I didn't really pay any attention to at all for humans... And trying to figure out where cat ears are placed:

Trying to get used to twisting/turning forms (from one of Sycra's videos):

Simplified shoulder stuff, the sword here I got kind of inspired by the shape of collarbones and shoulderblades... and for some reason a shovel...:

Trying sketching some eyes from looking at a boy sitting across from me while playing DnD:

And here's some digital stuff, which is slightly more recent... though I guess it's all recent, right? lol

Proportions:

Trying figure drawing (I think that's what it's called? The bright colours on the left was me trying to figure out how his arm was bending using Sycra's lightning bolt technique, I wasn't very successful):

(reference image):

Shoulder anatomy:

Very lazy stuff trying to simplify things and I think figure out where the eyes fit in the sockets (also tried drawing (painting?) some eyes from a reference):

(reference image):

Trying painting eyes again from reference image:

(reference image):

Back to skulls, trying to learn the names of the pieces (sorry again for the bright colours, lol. My handwriting isn't normally that bad, I swear!):

Looked up a tutorial on placing snouts on heads (top left), more eyes, trying out some hair and an animalised guy's head, in the bottom right part I was tracing an image to try to figure out how they did proportions, hair, head shapes, basically everything I guess?:

I can't find the original image that I traced... but you can see it there anyway, right? If I find it, I'll edit it in here.

And last but not least, a pretty incomplete WIP I've been doing since yesterday (I think...?) I was trying out colouring/painting hair... but started playing with Krita's brushes and found a sparkly one... and somehow accidentally managed to make her hair look like space instead, I think...? no comment...:

And, uh, here's a random song from one of my many, many playlists. I dunno why I'm posting it, maybe someone here will like it? I dunno. I hope so. :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5mNqCruq0

Thanks for reading~! (...Or rather, looking, I guess?) Any and all advice is very welcome... ^^
Last edited by Kaitsith on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Alkis III » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Alkis III

Welcome aboard. This is a place where people of all skill levels meet.
There is but one way to get better, and that is to keep going.
Now grab a paddle and and start paddling, this boat won't float on its own!
Perfect imperfections

Postby Skunk1724 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Skunk1724

hello welcome dude im new here too, just started my own sketchbook here a few days ago ^^.
looks like ur really serious which is great i'd tackle one subject at a time tho if i were u, lets it sink in a little better when u focus on one thing and not go all around the place.. but aslong as ur having fun its the most important thing now right ? xD
wish u luck in general keep going :)

Postby Kaitsith » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Kaitsith

Thank you two for the advice and encouragement, I guess I should start/keep going with skulls, head shapes and then faces, eyes etc, which, thankfully, is what I (kind of? lol) studied (played with) today~

I also resized the images this time so they're not so massive ^^;...

Basic human head shapes/angles... not sure on how accurate they'd be since I've been drawing without references x.x:

Got distracted and went into combining cats with humans and trying to get a hang of feline ear placement using my cat as reference:

Aaand continuation of the drawing I was doing before, the hair being spacey inspired me to make the background space, too~ It was my first time trying to draw (paint...?) space and I really wouldn't have had any hope of doing this without this guide: http://tylercreatesworlds.deviantart.co ... -368295974 though I couldn't figure out how to get the brush working in Krita for a good amount of time...

And, here's another song, part of the OST of my favorite game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQSzFs9sLE

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:41 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Welcome to the forum! What you're doing is very good. Working on your mileage and your muscle memory is a great start in concerns to improving. Because the more you draw the better you'll get. Your sketches look good too. Try and fit as much on the page as possible, and try not to leave space owo
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby Kaitsith » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Kaitsith

So through exhaustion I spent a while filling a page with circ- *erhem* spheres(!!) without leaving too much space in an attempt to make my brain see 2D in 3D when drawing since I've noticed I'm pretty bad at that... and also to help with the turning of heads and stuff. And then I tried scribbling around with proportions again aaand basically completely forgot to use what I'd just been trying to get down. Maybe when I can think straight. ;_;

Time to go crash. x.x fdbzrbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbkF-15ObM

Postby Kaitsith » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Kaitsith

tinytinytiny updoot have been figure/gesture drawing a ton (though I could and should be doing more, I have to stop being lazy and make use of my time :P)
there's much much more than this but I don't think it's worth posting, lol. even the stuff below is kind of pushing it I think, though I feel really bad for posting such little stuff. D:

this one is mildly nsfw I guess?

Also, Mareep

After deciding the wool was too bland I tried playing around with the colouring, I started off intending to try and emulate one of my favorite artists, itomugi-kun (site is nsfw, though this artist doesn't do anything nsfw), but kinda forgot and went with the flow I guess, lol

*looks back at post* i feel so basic. lol. ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3iDZBOAFM

Postby Kyoobies » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Kyoobies

Mareep! That looks pretty awesome. :D

*looks back at post* i feel so basic. lol. ;_;

I think it looks fine, it's a simple concept so it should look simple. :P But if you wanna try to make it more interesting, you could draw a shiny Mareep.

(... which I may have a bias for because I actually got a shiny Mareep in Y through wonder-trade of all things lol. :lol: )
"Balsamic Vinegar" - Tsukasa Hiiragi

- - My [NSFW] Sketchbook! :D - - 21/m - -

Postby Kaitsith » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:21 am

Kaitsith

My friend requested this, kinda proud of myself for just "finishing" it, even though I can see a lot of things I could have done way better... I have a bad habit of never finishing anything :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLBjAY-9pbE
Last edited by Kaitsith on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby everfae » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:37 am

everfae

Your drawings are getting a little better with each post, especially the last one. I like the way you're trying to get used to drawing spheres. :D
Keep going
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby Kaitsith » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Kaitsith

Had been meaning to try landscapes for a while and finally got around to it... well, almost, anyway. Drew a bunch of frames and scribbled inside them until I saw something then tried defining them a bit more, of twelve frames I only really liked two, lol

I linked some friends screenshots of the "thumbnails" and asked them what they saw, responses were way more varied than I expected and were very interesting~

First one:
Friends told me they saw, among other things, a Halloween goodie bag, an insect eating its prey, a very sad vase, and a wizard dealing drugs to a rabbit.

I liked this first iteration, I think I ruined it with the second one. lol ;_;

Second one:
"Looks like a salamander... or a patch of lava?"

Personally I saw it as some sort of weird hanging forest platform type of thing, but I didn't really understand how it worked myself and had no idea what to do with it...

This is a small minority of what I've been doing, I just think it's more interesting to post than large amounts of badly drawn hands :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_cyaF2XXn8

Postby Kaitsith » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Kaitsith

It's been a long while since I posted here, I even forgot I had this account...

I stopped drawing I think from around my last post here until a couple months ago, but this time I think I'm much more determined. I'd like to think I've gotten at least a little bit better, too...

Here are some things I've done since restarting, these are in chronological order:

Postby Kaitsith » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 am

Kaitsith

bap

still chronological order

some of these have to do with DnD games I've played or run, others are just OCs or random nameless characters...

Postby Kaitsith » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:48 am

Kaitsith

DnD character comic because impulse to do it

Postby Telepurte » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:50 am

Telepurte

Ayy nice drawings.
I can tell that you sort of enjoyed doing these. I like stuff that has a little bit of passion in it.
Keep putting passion into your work!
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

Postby ehlihr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:03 pm

ehlihr

dnd comics are The BEST!! glad to see someone else likes doin them :') your sketches are really cool!!!
18 year old mostly self taught loser. sheridan illustration 2023

Sketchbook
Website
Instagram

Postby DRaff210 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 am

DRaff210

Your sketches and comics are really fun, and it's great to see how much you're practicing! Keep it up, and I can't wait to see more!

Postby Kaitsith » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:57 am

Kaitsith

thanks guys :D

some stuff I think would be better to just move on from and start new drawings, character called Chizu and a perspective/lighting practice thing

Postby Kaitsith » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:28 am

Kaitsith

sketchy sketchy

never drawn actual cats before

Postby Kaitsith » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Kaitsith

more cato

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:49 am

Bugpal Hopeday

I'm from SA too, heh. Good work with the shape and perspective studies, you can never do too many of those.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby Kaitsith » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Kaitsith

Bugpal Hopeday wrote:I'm from SA too, heh. Good work with the shape and perspective studies, you can never do too many of those.

Damn, really? I don't think I've ever met anyone else from SA on the internet, that's crazy

Postby Kaitsith » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Kaitsith

marked decrease in quality woo

I cared a lot more about the previous one, but it backfired and I think I might be tilted because of it

Postby Kaitsith » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 am

Kaitsith

Feeling a bit better now.

This character has a bit of story but it would be a spoiler to someone I know who may or may not use this board - so I'll just leave the story on my dA, which a link to is in my signature if you're interested. (Eli, if you do use this forum and are reading this, don't click. Spoilers.)

Postby Kaitsith » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Kaitsith

Another character for DnD, again lore stuff's on dA (well, it's also on tumblr and pixiv)

Next

Return to Sketchbook