Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm

DarkLored123

Subject title: DarkLored's Sketchbook [NSFW] [Critique Welcome]

Peteman22 wrote:Good work on the forms/ figures. :D Your clearly improving. One thing I would say though, even if you want to draw in an anime style, using photo references of real people is still very helpful. Seeing how a real human body is put together. You can always modifying it to a more anime style. Just a thought.

Thanks. Personally I only use references if I want to study the general forms that make out the object or living being I am trying to draw, otherwise I use trial and error to learn how to stay consistent with it. To me using boxes, cylinders, and spheres is a good way to construct a human figure, as long as I keep the fundamentals in the back of my mind I should be fine even if I draw in an anime style only. There's no rush to improve either, this is only my second year in drawing.

I like doing things from imagination, even of they are not perfect it is really about enjoying the process, however I am grateful for your suggestion.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 am

DarkLored123

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:36 pm

DarkLored123

Was just having some fun sketching today, just practicing the torso and trying to build up consistency with it.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 pm

DarkLored123

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:31 am

DarkLored123

Been sketching a bit, to be quite honest I am pretty satisfied with what I accomplished today. I've been working on perspective perception with different poses from different angles, most of the poses are from imagination except from the ones that I referenced from Nsio. I've also referenced a character design sheet for Rem, I mainly wanted to see if I can get the same proportions if I played around with the angles and it seems like I can pick it up really quickly although not too accurate with details.

Postby geryes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:28 pm

geryes

Nice mileage. I like that you are trying to draw the t pose in different angles. Keep it up :)
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm

DarkLored123

geryes wrote:Nice mileage. I like that you are trying to draw the t pose in different angles. Keep it up :)

Thanks. I am trying to emphasize more perspective, thus why I am changing the angles so I can properly take in all the benefits of the practice. If I were to simply copy the same angle I wouldn't get any benefit from it in terms of perspective because it is already laid out for me. I hope that with the passage of time and practice I'll be able to perceive depth more than I currently do.

Postby Kittycat2017 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 am

Kittycat2017

Keep up the practicing, I can definitely see the improvement in your lines throughout the posts c:

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 am

DarkLored123

Kittycat2017 wrote:Keep up the practicing, I can definitely see the improvement in your lines throughout the posts c:

Thanks.

I've worked on an illustration for my English class, I am pretty satisfied with both the perspective and pose that I drew.

Full Res: https://darklored123.deviantart.com/art ... -714811539

Postby Kittycat2017 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:18 am

Kittycat2017

woah thats a cute looking drawing, did you use reference for the perspective or pose? i really struggle to come up with characters in poses without any reference haha. oh! and those folds in the clothing, especially in the skirt look very natural c:

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:24 am

DarkLored123

Kittycat2017 wrote:woah thats a cute looking drawing, did you use reference for the perspective or pose? i really struggle to come up with characters in poses without any reference haha. oh! and those folds in the clothing, especially in the skirt look very natural c:

I only used reference for the clothes, the rest was done without any reference. I got the idea through a thumbnail sketch, I was practicing perspective and one of the poses appealed to me along with the angle so I decided to draw an illustration for it. Doing thumbnails is a good way to plan an illustration, especially if you want to get your idea down pretty quickly without losing track.

I feel your pain regarding poses, just figuring out a pose is difficult. For me particularly figuring out how the limbs would be positioned in a natural way is the most challenging part, you can also create your own references by drawing projections(aka 2D sketches) and refer to them when you have trouble figuring out stuff on your own, for perspective I mainly think of the rules behind it and simply imagine how the character would look in that angle, I make corrections along the way.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:25 am

DarkLored123

So I've watched Youjo Senki recently and I pretty much loved the story and everything. I decided to sketch some expressions of Tanya, now I the main purpose of this was to practice facial proportions, mainly from reference to see if I can keep it consistent with proportions I am not familiar with.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 am

DarkLored123

Hello, it has been a week and half since I last posted here. The main reason for aforementioned absence is simply because I was not feeling a hundred percent and felt rather depressed for some reason which has put me in a slump as well, regardless of that I have managed to pull out from the slump and am currently aiming to improve even more. So to catch up on a few things, I have still been practicing, but I decided that I'd start another illustration which is a fan art of Youjo Senki which showcases the main character Tanya. I just loved the anime so much I thought it deserved a fan art piece.

Right now I am done with the inking stage, and I want to create a greyscale version and a colored version. I think it'd be good practice in terms of values and I am brain storming ideas on my lighting scenario, I already know I want the light source to come from below, but getting the values for my specific scene seems rather difficult although I might have figured out a possible solution. So I am just dropping the inked version here.

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:13 am

Bugpal Hopeday

Hey, good job on snapping out of your art slump. A week and a half is not too bad honestly, my unproductive times are usually measured in months, keep it up!
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:05 pm

DarkLored123

Bugpal Hopeday wrote:Hey, good job on snapping out of your art slump. A week and a half is not too bad honestly, my unproductive times are usually measured in months, keep it up!

Thanks. The slump I was in was one of the worst I've had so far and there was absolutely no reason for me to feel down during that time period, but for whatever reason I did and luckily I managed to get out of it. The thing is, whenever I make a certain amount of progress I usually fall into slumps, probably because I am not satisfied with how much progress I've made because whatever I was proud of at the time all of a sudden looks like I could have done better.

To get out of a slump I usually binge watch anime for an entire day lol, or do something completely unrelated to art to refresh my mind. After that I pretty much force myself to draw until I feel better about it and it works for me, having internal dialogues and trying to figure out the root of the issue might be helpful as well. I'm the type of person that does not like falling into slumps that are long-term, if it is more than a week it makes me feel miserable, and had it dragged on for a month I would've ended up being depressed lol. Being in a slump is dangerous for me at the moment since I am currently enrolled in college and my finals are coming up so I can't afford to be emotionally distraught no matter the reason.

Postby Steeliebob » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 am

Steeliebob

It's fair. Hope you've gotten over it or at the very least will be able to keep up until after the exams :P
anyways. The last drawing is good. pretty good foreshortening going on! :)

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 am

Bugpal Hopeday

whatever I was proud of at the time all of a sudden looks like I could have done better

Yeah, Sycra had a video about that phenomenon, I think he called it your eye surpassing your hand, or something like that. But really your eyes getting better/more critical is an important skill too, because if you see flaws than you can eventually get rid of them by refining the piece you're working on, even if it takes hours. If you can't see the flaws, that's when you're in a rut. I've got stuff from earlier this year that I can barely look at, it's so obviously flawed, but at the time I guess I liked it enough to save it. :shock:
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm

DarkLored123

@Steeliebob, thanks! I hope that I don't get my mood down during this time period, so I most likely limit the amount of time I draw to an hour and not be as harsh on myself to improve so I can relax. Gonna replace the drawing time with an MMORPG called 'Aura Kingdom' :D

@Bugpal Hopeday, I can agree with that statement. My latest piece that I made looked super well done compared to previous drawings, but after a few days I was thinking "is that really the best I can do?" It seems that only when I get excited about a piece so much is when I am prone to these slumps. I guess because I am creating false hope that then is shattered in a matter of a few days/weeks. Also the most challenging part about your eyes surpassing your physical skills is that you simply have to rethink a strategy about improving, like what exercises, or subjects should you focus on, and so on. It is interesting none the less, and I like the challenges when I am prepared to take them :D

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:02 am

DarkLored123

I've finished applying greyscale values to my illustration, this is how it looks:

Full Res: https://darklored123.deviantart.com/art ... -717983555

I am planning on making a colored version of it just for the sake of practicing color theory.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm

DarkLored123

Trying to get rid of my rust, here are some human figure sketches from imagination.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:10 pm

DarkLored123

Been very frustrated lately that I have not seen much of improvement in my drawings so I decided that the best course of action would be to change the way I draw. I've found out that one of my biggest weaknesses is observation skills, I simply lack the ability to interpret visual information properly and store it in my memory. Since I learn best by feeling through trial and error I decided that it would be best to draw in way that makes me feel comfortable for a lack for a better term. Anyway, I tested this out today and it seemed pretty good approach, and I will practice this way from now on.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm

DarkLored123

Finally seeing some improvement in my sketches, now drawing has become way less tedious and I am pretty happy about that. Guess being a tyrant to yourself is a bad idea, I am glad I came to realize it now than later.

Postby Josephcow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Josephcow

Your recent sketches have more flow to them which is really helping! keep it up!

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 am

DarkLored123

Josephcow wrote:Your recent sketches have more flow to them which is really helping! keep it up!

Thanks. I found myself getting frustrated a lot when I try to draw in a technical approach, hence being a tyrant to myself for no other reason than thinking that approach is the only way to draw. I am trying to expand my horizons and develop a different workflow while keeping the fundamental principals in check. Hopefully it'll make it less tedious and make me enjoy art more in the long run than run into frustrations over minor problems.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:05 pm

DarkLored123

So after watching a live-stream of an amazing artist and getting a critique from him, I indulged myself into practicing a bit of figures. I only did 3 sketches, but for the first time art felt more fun than tedious now that I am changed the way I draw. I have exams so I can't dedicate much time to art, but I am hoping after I finish the semester that I'll be able to effectively use my break to improve my skills.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook