Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby geryes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 am

geryes

Subject title: DarkLored's Sketchbook [NSFW] [Critique Welcome]

Really great progress you've made so far! Your construction lines are improving greatly. Keep up the great work!
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 am

DarkLored123

Thanks you two, yes my construction has improved. It seems like the answers were always right in front of me and I was just too stubborn to accept it, luckily I woke up from my delusions and can pursue the improvement I desire.

On another note, I finished up the sketch with primarily fixing perspective and the form of the legs, added some details as well. I am in the shading process so tell me what you think, I really tried working with a proper light source this time so I hope I did decently.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:17 pm

DarkLored123

Finally got to finish the sketch, I've painted over it and I am quite satisfied with the result I've gotten. It came out just as I imagined it would, I had a lot of fun working on this.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:31 am

DarkLored123

Been busy with college lately so didn't have much time to practice properly, but I got some things done on the side including this redrawing of an OC that some deviant artist created, I also drew figures from four different angles but struggled with it a bit.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:27 pm

DarkLored123

Finished the drawing I was working on yesterday, my painting skills aren't up to par but the main focus was just the perspective and form of the character. I also really need to work on quality, I like doing things without having to refine a lot but I guess the quality suffers as a result.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:56 am

DarkLored123

I had some free time today, so I decided I'd draw some poses and try designing a character based on the inktober prompts. It is such a shame that I will not be able to dedicate enough time to participate in the challenge but I am still planning to use some of the prompts to create characters or illustrations. I used yesterday's prompt for the design, I thought that a mecha character with a wings that give it the ability to fly is swift so that is what I focused on.

Postby geryes » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:59 am

geryes

Nice studies. Be mindful of the placement of the breast as they look a little high.

I also feel for you about the inktober thing. I'm still not ready to take on ink :P But you will get there eventually. Keep up the great work.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:59 pm

DarkLored123

geryes wrote:Nice studies. Be mindful of the placement of the breast as they look a little high.

I also feel for you about the inktober thing. I'm still not ready to take on ink :P But you will get there eventually. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the tip, I indeed placed the breasts slightly higher than they should.

If it wasn't for my college responsibilities I'd totally do the challange, but no rule says you can't do it your own way, hence why I am still going to keep the restrictions of the challenge itself but do it when I have free time. The urge to hit ctrl + z is almost unavoidable xD

Postby geryes » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:31 pm

geryes

DarkLored123 wrote:
geryes wrote:Nice studies. Be mindful of the placement of the breast as they look a little high.

Thanks for the tip, I indeed placed the breasts slightly higher than they should.

If it wasn't for my college responsibilities I'd totally do the challange, but no rule says you can't do it your own way, hence why I am still going to keep the restrictions of the challenge itself but do it when I have free time. The urge to hit ctrl + z is almost unavoidable xD

lol, the Crt+Z is very true XD. I've heard someone say if you draw with a pen, you're pretty brave, but if you draw with a marker, you're fearless.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:04 pm

DarkLored123

geryes wrote:lol, the Crt+Z is very true XD. I've heard someone say if you draw with a pen, you're pretty brave, but if you draw with a marker, you're fearless.

Funny I've actually tried using one of my sharpie markers to do sketching during the weekend, damn it was challenging.

I used references for these poses, if you saw earlier posts you'll probably recognize some of the poses. It is pretty rough but I am satisfied with what I've received in return, it is pretty damn hard to control a sharpie for sketching, going to think twice before trying to go for this kind of challenge again xD

I also know an artist that draws cars with a sharpie marker, it always baffles me how well he uses it.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 pm

DarkLored123

Finished the sketch, was pretty exhausting since I wanted to add a lot of detail to the hair but couldn't pull it off so I decided to go with some basic cel shading, although I do like the sketch and pose of the character(except for the arm resting on top of the wing).

Postby Josephcow » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:02 am

Josephcow

Really nice legs on this last one! I like the simplification of the feet.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:06 am

DarkLored123

Josephcow wrote:Really nice legs on this last one! I like the simplification of the feet.

Thanks! I've guessed how the legs would look from that angle so I pretty much faked it in terms of anatomy so there might be mistakes although I am not aware of them since it isn't on my priority list right now.

On a side note, I've done some figure drawing practice which went splendidly. The first few poses helped me loosen up, but I definitely love how the 7th pose came out :D

[EDIT]: LOL, just now I realized that I accidentally skipped two numbers with the poses.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:57 pm

DarkLored123

Decided to do some figure drawing from references that Nsio made, the outcome is pretty neat although I believe I can do better but I did like the challenge since I decided instead of simply copying I'd add different angles in order to challenge my perception of 3D space.

Postby Steeliebob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:08 am

Steeliebob

Good job lored, you're really pushing yourself with the figures. :) I like the winged girl The thing with the arm is that it seems a bit like it's going through the wing :P maybe having some cast shadow from the arm on the wing might help a bit. ^^

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm

DarkLored123

Steeliebob wrote:Good job lored, you're really pushing yourself with the figures. :) I like the winged girl The thing with the arm is that it seems a bit like it's going through the wing :P maybe having some cast shadow from the arm on the wing might help a bit. ^^

Thanks! I am trying to use my time more effectively and got more hours put in so I guess it is paying off. I don't know which pose you are referring to since I am not sure how to read "wing" if you can point out which one, I'd appreciate it. Although I am assuming that you are referencing the pose in which the character is pulling her leg towards herself, then I must say that I gave up on the pose since the angle I chose was rather difficult and there was a lot of form intersecting which was a bit complicated to figure out.

There are some gestural and angling errors, but I am sure I can overcome them in the future.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:41 am

DarkLored123

I've been working these past couple of days on two illustrations, one of them which is for an English project which I will be getting done soon and the other is a Nichijou fan art piece that I came up with from imagination. Since the first illustration is about to be done I might as well share it when I finish it, but I am ready to share my Nichijou sketch that I've got done today.

I think this is going to be the first piece where I implemented strong dynamism and good composition, hopefully I can get it done by the end of next week.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 am

DarkLored123

So I've been resting for a couple of days from practicing in general, but worked on my projects little by little and made some progress with the Nichijou fan art piece. I really like the way it is coming out, and hope to get it out by the end of October. As for my other project, it is very close to completion and I hope to share it soon.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:28 pm

DarkLored123

I've finished my English Project illustration finally, the coloring isn't the best, but I like the composition and the drawing itself.

Full Res IMG: https://darklored123.deviantart.com/art ... -711091257

Now the only piece that needs to be done is the Nichijou piece, I am really looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

Postby pukrolli » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 am

pukrolli

:D Wonderful studies you're doing!
The English Project illustration does remind me of something that would be on the cover of a notebook or textbook. The only thing that I noticed is that her right cheek sticks out quite far. It might help to reduce it a bit :D
Keep up the great work! :D

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm

DarkLored123

pukrolli wrote::D Wonderful studies you're doing!
The English Project illustration does remind me of something that would be on the cover of a notebook or textbook. The only thing that I noticed is that her right cheek sticks out quite far. It might help to reduce it a bit :D
Keep up the great work! :D

Thanks a lot. I certainly overdid the cheek, I am not so used to drawing chibi characters so I was experimenting with how far I should take that cheek but I guess I overdid it this time. For the project itself, I am going to probably just remove the letters since I think they ruin the piece because of the sloppy execution.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:06 pm

DarkLored123

These are just some sketches I've did during my breaks in college from imagination:

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:01 am

DarkLored123

Finally got around to finishing my Nichijou fan art piece, I am pretty pleased with it. So after finishing Nichijou I felt like doing a fan art for it, since it was such a good anime and made me laugh every time I watched an episode. I decided in this piece that I wanted to capture the daily life of Nano and Hakase in a sense, since Hakase is always troubling Nano with the weird gadgets she installs in her, I thought maybe this composition and situation would be best.

Full Res: https://darklored123.deviantart.com/art ... -712028356

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:19 am

DarkLored123

So I wanted to make a Halloween fan art for Higurashi since I finished watching it, I really liked the story itself and one of my favorite characters is Rena Ryuugu, I mainly like her role as a "demon" with her pet phrase "USODA! Rena wa shiteru yo" I just can't get over it.

Full Res IMG: https://darklored123.deviantart.com/art ... -712719512

Postby Peteman22 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Peteman22

Good work on the forms/ figures. :D Your clearly improving. One thing I would say though, even if you want to draw in an anime style, using photo references of real people is still very helpful. Seeing how a real human body is put together. You can always modifying it to a more anime style. Just a thought.
What are you doing? Stop browsing the forum and get drawing.

Just visit my sketchbook first:

http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37212 Come say hello!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook