Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Wyntry » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 am

Wyntry

Subject title: DarkLored's Sketchbook [NSFW] [Critique Welcome]

Love it. Epic work. :D
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby everfae » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 pm

everfae

Seeing your studies and improvement is really uplifting!
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:28 am

DarkLored123

Time to give a small update although I don't have much to post, I feel like I am going towards the right direction. So until recently I've been in a regression from drawing, my mindset was completely abolished and became negative and it affected my output due to not being satisfied with my results, currently after a very short break I feel better and decided to approach drawing in a different way than I usually sketch since I feel like most of the important fundamentals are being taken out due to my previous method.

[Note]: I used references for these poses.

As you can see I've started using geometric shapes rather than organic shapes due to the fact that I feel it is easier to identify perspective that way, using boxes became a little bit easier since I've done drawabox exercises so now I feel confident enough to go back and try to do basic human poses and do more rudimentary type of practice. I still have a ways to go to correct my mindset and the first step is to develop patience, due to me placing a lot of pressure on myself I've improved but not as much as I was expecting which affected me in the long term and actually caused my regression.

I'll probably post every week or so to update my sketchbook, I'm definitely going to take my time on drawing and try not to pressure myself and college starts anyway so I am hoping for the best.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 am

DarkLored123

I've used reference for the following sketches, last one was from imagination. I am getting used to the method I am using right now and already am noticing an improvement, now that I am actually thinking more about the shapes it easier for me to imagine the perspective although the last one I kind of screwed up the proportions although I am going to keep in mind not to break them next time, I might even study proportions as soon as I feel confident enough with the torso.

Spoiler: show

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:54 am

DarkLored123

So far this is how much I got done today, I like the direction I am taking with these.

Postby geryes » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 am

geryes

Nice work so far! I like that you are working on your construction lines too. Keep up the great work.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:28 pm

DarkLored123

geryes wrote:Nice work so far! I like that you are working on your construction lines too. Keep up the great work.

Thanks! It took me a long time to realize that I opted out construction because I was focusing so much on dynamism and it went so well so far that I completely forgot perspective and it kind of slapped me in the face when I didn't understand why I am struggling so much to create poses in angles, now's finally the time to take it seriously and see how it goes from here.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:40 pm

DarkLored123

Got some sketches done yesterday, I am pretty excited about drawing these after finally realizing the pure ignorance of what was in front of me this entire time. Now that I made this realization I am going to take advantage of it and hope for the best.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:56 pm

DarkLored123

I've been trying to get a knack for forms, so far it is a decent attempt and I am trying to draw objects from reality and stuff from reference. It is pretty damn hard to identify the forms for living beings. Since this is the first time of me trying to actually practice this any tips or pointers are welcome.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 am

DarkLored123

Got to do some more form studies, it is going pretty smoothly however I still need to gain some confidence by doing some simple stuff since I found it difficult to draw complex forms.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 pm

DarkLored123

I've done a study of a reference I used mainly to see how I understand forms and perspective, I've had to do a few attempts since I am not so used to the drawing tablet yet but the study was invaluable and I think my attempt is pretty decent. The artist that I used the reference is called "Deel" if you want to search him up he has some good sketches and so on on pixiv, really amazing artist.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 am

DarkLored123

Another attempt that I've done today on the reference image, I also attempted on a Ford Explorer but it was too overwhelming for me at the moment. So far I see improvement both in perspective and form.

Postby piikeo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:23 pm

piikeo

you can definitely see improvement between the two pictures, even though you only posted them a day apart!
that's rlly good !!
sketchbook | tumblr | instagram 18/pink is my favourite colour

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 am

DarkLored123

piikeo wrote:you can definitely see improvement between the two pictures, even though you only posted them a day apart!
that's rlly good !!

Indeed, although this is one reference image but I am planning to go for other images as well, I think I am heading towards the right direction now since my main objective is to be able to see forms and the perspective in other images so as long as I do that from reference for a while and gain confidence I will gradually start working on images from imagination.

This is the last iteration of the image, I think I decently captured the perspective and form although I do need to work on alignment of the objects when I am drawing them in but so far it is good. From now on I am going for different types of references that include animals, cars, and so on.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:16 pm

DarkLored123

Postby Moe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 am

Moe

I like your analytical path. I'm curious to see where it would take you. When I watched Marshall Vandruff lectures a while back, one thing he mentioned is that when you focus too much on perspective, you risk losing gestural integrity. The best way, he says, is to do both. Doing gesture studies alongside your perspective studies and then bringing everything together will yield the best results. Good luck.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 pm

DarkLored123

Moe wrote:I like your analytical path. I'm curious to see where it would take you. When I watched Marshall Vandruff lectures a while back, one thing he mentioned is that when you focus too much on perspective, you risk losing gestural integrity. The best way, he says, is to do both. Doing gesture studies alongside your perspective studies and then bringing everything together will yield the best results. Good luck.

Yes I am aware that I am sacrificing the gesture, actually I can vouch for the fact that Marshall is right to some extent. When I studied gesture, the same thing has happened to me just the other way around. Basically I focused on gesture, but lost integrity with perspective which is a big problem for me since I value perspective most.

I am currently deliberately focusing on perspective, and form strictly. I might lose some integrity with gesture, but I am not planning to use it until I get decent enough with the basics, also since I have some experience with gesture under my belt I already know how to go about it in my own way, I just need to figure out the more advanced parts of dynamism.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll keep it in mind when I feel a bit more confident with perspective and form.

Postby Steeliebob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Steeliebob

I agree, Combining both seems to one of those things that will come when just practicing both but has to be slowly build up. :(
I think you do well on the construction practice. Keep going! :)

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 am

DarkLored123

So during break between classes in college I took the chance to sketch some vehicles. I am really satisfied with the steady progress that I've been making, I watched a couple of videos and picked up a way to draw the vehicles through sections and for now I am just seeing where that method takes me.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:43 am

DarkLored123

This is a work in progress for an amateur contest that I decided to take part in. I thought that the best course of action is to go with a basic angle and a simple pose so I don't stress too much about getting it right, so far I am satisfied with the direction this is taking. I had to make many revisions but now I am at the stage where I feel confident enough to add the details, depending on how it comes out I might or might not decide to redo it.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:47 am

DarkLored123

This is the finished look of the sketch that I worked for the amateur contest. If you ask me, I am pretty satisfied with this, but I still have some time till the deadline and I might work on some other poses and see what works or catches my eye more, but that is a big if.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:58 pm

DarkLored123

This is the finalized version of the drawing, I made minor adjustments. I am very satisfied with the result, and I've submitted it to the amateur drawing contest.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

DarkLored123

I broke down an F-16 from a reference and it turned out pretty good compared to other attempts, I also redrew a very old drawing that I did during 2016 and that was also pretty successful.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm

DarkLored123

Another redrawing from previous sketches that I've done during my beginning stages, I kind of like the improvement I am seeing from all the form study I've been doing. After I am done with the sketch, I am most likely going to go back to some rudimentary practice to train my skills.

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

ColonelHacker12

I love your use of construction cubes for your characters.
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook