Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Belu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Belu

Subject title: How is this even possible (level of complexity) (help)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wr0BO
https://www.artstation.com/jonghwan

Hi am a amuture artist I was looking for some artist's art work to study (some one like Karl kopinski I am big fan of him)
Then I stumbled upon this Korea artist named "Kim Jong Hwan" I just fell in love with his work and I want to draw like it but I have problem as you can see his work (in likes above)it's just so much complexe and detailed for me to understand the it the process how could anyone one Draw like this? And what will be the process
I just don't get
I want to know how someone can draw such a complex and detailed work what kind of studies and lessons it's required
I ready for anything thing to get even 10% good as that guy so please if anyone knows out this subject please respond me

Postby svarn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:20 pm

svarn

For this kind of stuff you gotta study patience. I recommend meditation, long walks, a lot of coffeine and yoga cuz you'll be sitting down for a long time.

On a serious note, it's mostly perspective, use of reference and lots and lots and lots of practice.
You start of with the big geometrical shapes and then you grab a bunch of reference and start adding all that clutter, following previously established major forms.
I'd recommend studying design of mechanical elements etc, cuz reference will get you only so far. This guy clearly knows all that so he can just start scribbling and it looks as it should.
Also understanding of how the light and shadows works is important. It'd help you with understanding which areas are better left simpler, and which can be darkened with more lines.

Most importantly however, if your base geometry is junk, then all that stuff you add on top will likely be even further detriment to your work.

Postby svarn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:57 pm

svarn

I got momentarilly inspired to do this, and then realised that I have neither the patience or the time for it.
It could've been 10x better if I studied this kind of stuff or used reference. But I'm lazy and in a rush :d

But I guess that's the general process, and then you keep on adding more and more and more sht. You can also use eraser, especially to create overlapping elements.
Of course Jong Hwan's art is way more detailed then this, but that's just a matter of putting in the time to build up clutter in the scene.

Postby Belu » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 am

Belu

Thanks mate..

Postby Audiazif » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Audiazif

I think it is also worth mentioning that there is an abstract quality to all of this artist's details. Meaning nobody can really say "this part is not correct" or "that isn't how that is supposed to look". So as long as the larger shapes are strong you can pretty much get away with murder within them with the details.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Kam » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Kam

I just wanted to add that drawing this kind of stuff or really anything that's "original" or made up requires you to understand things and this aspect has nothing to do with art but rather the science and underlying mechanics of things. For example if you want to do creatures you have to learn general anatomy (usually via human anatomy) and then branch off into various species, combined with some science for why things are the way they are (like why certain animals have fur or scales) and then you can interpret that in your art.

When you have some knowledge you can make better decisions for what details are actually functional and what details are more or less nonsense are really only there to make your art look cooler, I think good art has a combination of both of those as making things fully functional is more in the field of designing real world products and making them fully nonsense will steer more towards abstract art.

Postby Mystipen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Mystipen

I agree with Audiazif and Kam on this. If you look at his entire portfolio rather than a single image, the common theme is that he draws a lot of mechs, so it is safe to assume that he is simply well versed with mech design and how the human form works. Some of his designs have an enormous amount of detail that it is hard to really understand what is going on in the image, but not all the details he draws might be accurate to what would be possible on a functional design. If you actually also look at his more rendered images, the amount of detail drops significantly from the sketches you have shown and the primary reason is probably that what looks good in his sketches might not be practical to use in a finished image, because a sketch is so vague and implied by nature it increases the margin of error by a lot because of its looseness so what you are looking at is more akin to good shape design and proportion rather than actual detail which is really just implied detail.

Adding detail is just a matter of being patient, you first need to get the foundation down before placing it on top of it. If you get your forms, perspective, and proportions right then you are pretty much off to a good start when you begin detailing the image. Personally, I wouldn't recommend studying unfinished images such as sketches or loose drawings because the artist's intent in those phases is to explore ideas or just doodle around rather than being precise with his drawing, so by studying sketches you might accidentally pick up bad habits simply because you do not know why certain marks exists in certain places.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion