Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby SlimRock » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

SlimRock

Subject title: Knight Dude !!!

Sup guys, been a while . Thought I should post this knight dude I have been having fun sketching. Comments and crits are always welcome ;)
Knight-6rez.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm

Audiazif

This is very nice work. I think you could just call this finished if you really wanted to. It is pretty top notch. If you wanted to take this farther I would start going through an punching up stuff that you think is important to the piece. Here is a little paint over I did just to show it could be worked on more.
I thought if this was my piece I would want the face to have more punch than everything else (not that it is not already standing out but you can always work it up more). I made the pupils the darkest value in that area to make them stand out more. I made the lighting seem stronger by adding cast shadows for the nose and under the brow. I defined the lower lip a little more because it was a little lacking there and I thought the nose needed the separation of the side plane and front plane more defined. These changes where more personal preference than corrections so do with them what you will. Lastly, I made the shine in the hair more prominent and knocked back the grey hair above the ear (hopefully that is grey hair and not a shine in the hair). I thought the grey hair above the ear was a little distracting because it was so close to the value of the shine. The only other thing that I could think of that may need more work would be the hands, they seem little unfinished to me (again this is more personal preference because I like to see finished hands).

Wow, that is a lot for something that I said could be called "finished". Anyway keep up the great work and I can't wait to see what you do next.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:05 am

Josephcow

It's very cool, but two things.

1. hands
2. face

One of those hands is about as big as his head. You can enlarge the arms and hands, but within reason. If he put his arm down, would it look right?

The face reads as a bit feminine to me and the reason is how you have handled the raised eyebrow. You need to make sure that when his eyebrow raises, the brow bone doesn't go with it. Brow bone first, then eye brow. Having that arch the way you do reads structurally as a woman's brow which tends to have a natural arch. Combined with the black lines around the eye, we have a man with eyeliner. Avoid a dark line around the lower lid of the eye if at all possible!

Structurally also, think about making the nose a little blockier, and less sloping. And moving the highlight on the cheek over to the cheekbone. Having the highest light on the cheek makes it read as feminine also because it implies a round volume (women tend to have fatter cheeks, and old men especially, bonier ones).

Just like Azudiaf said, these are more my personal opinions at this point. I actually would do less shine on the hair just because I worry it will look too similar to the metal in shinyness, while he suggested more, and that's okay!
Knight-63333rez.jpg

Postby SlimRock » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:46 am

SlimRock

Thanks for all the great Critiques and overpaints you guys. I can definitely see the improved versions working better :) .
I will see to making the changes asap, or at least implement them when I decide to start adding color.

Postby SlimRock » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:50 am

SlimRock

Sup guys, i decided to go full color and full body with this one. was having too much fun ;)
You can check out the gif for the process in my Artstation here : https://www.artstation.com/muk1r1
Knight-iirez.jpg
Knight-rez.jpg

Postby Fantelle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Fantelle

I like it! Great values. Is his skin tone supposed to be pink/purple though? ^^''

Postby SlimRock » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:04 pm

SlimRock

Thanks Fantelle
Fantelle wrote:
    I like it! Great values. Is his skin tone supposed to be pink/purple though? ^^''

I was hoping no one would notice the skin too much :D :D

Return to Critique This!