Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Byfield » Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Byfield

Subject title: Barbarian Critique

Hi, long time lurker, figured I would make my first post here!

This is my first "finished" work that I found worthy of even being critiqued. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

wf.jpg
My first ever illustration attempt: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6799 Please help me get better by critiquing.

Postby Snakebreath » Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 am

Snakebreath

I like your painting style, but your anatomy needs a lot of work, don't be afraid to work from references! The biggest anatomy mistake I see is the legs, they look to thick to me, try doing some reference drawings from "posemaniacs" that site is great for helping to better your posing/anatomy understanding!

Postby Auricle » Tue May 07, 2013 12:58 am

Auricle

Hey Byfield. Just so you know, any work is worthy of being looked at.

The colour palette you've used here is very earthy and wholesome, and gives the impression that he is some kind of folksy herculean hero type, which is cool. I also enjoy the helmet design. Like Snakebreath said, the anatomy could use some work. The legs are barely rendered so I can't give specific advice, but have a look at some photos of bodybuilders/UFC fighters and you should have plenty of good material to work from.

Keep drawing!
"The way is suspicious, the result uncertain, perhaps destructive." - W.W.

Postby marvel57 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:22 am

marvel57

Looks pretty good! Agree w/ upper comments, keep going, you're not half bad ;) :ugeek:

Postby Byfield » Tue May 07, 2013 1:29 am

Byfield

Snakebreath wrote:I like your painting style, but your anatomy needs a lot of work, don't be afraid to work from references! The biggest anatomy mistake I see is the legs, they look to thick to me, try doing some reference drawings from "posemaniacs" that site is great for helping to better your posing/anatomy understanding!

Yes! I definitely need to work on my anatomy more, as that's one of the areas I don't study often enough. Thanks for the advice!

Auricle wrote:Hey Byfield. Just so you know, any work is worthy of being looked at.

The colour palette you've used here is very earthy and wholesome, and gives the impression that he is some kind of folksy herculean hero type, which is cool. I also enjoy the helmet design. Like Snakebreath said, the anatomy could use some work. The legs are barely rendered so I can't give specific advice, but have a look at some photos of bodybuilders/UFC fighters and you should have plenty of good material to work from.

Keep drawing!

Thanks a lot! The piece was kind of inspired by some diablo, but with the helmet I just winged it, haha. I did have the legs a bit more rendered but I some of the concaves in the leg to indicate the rectus femoris were too prominent so I blended them out. But yes, definitely do need to study anatomy and how to render them more.

marvel57 wrote:Looks pretty good! Agree w/ upper comments, keep going, you're not half bad ;) :ugeek:

Wow!! Thanks!

So, went back and tried to re-render the legs as well as move the cloth. I'll continue to study and touch u on the piece as I go on from here.

wf2.jpg
My first ever illustration attempt: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6799 Please help me get better by critiquing.

Postby Snakebreath » Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am

Snakebreath

I did a bit of a paint over, hope I didn't ruin the picture xD This was my first paint over ever, I just couldn't resist, love this type of art. I tried to keep as much of the original image as possible, mostly made tweaks to anatomy. I noticed some weird lighting through the image though, if there was a secondary source of light the highlight from it should have been a bit duller. I made my lighting assuming it was coming from the top right area. Also repositioned the head as after I fixed the leg the head looked weird (sorry it looks choppy, did it pretty fast). Last change I made was to the monster in the back, the orange reminded me of fire, so I couldn't help but to add some to make the image a bit more interesting. Hope this helps some! (This was great practice by the way, thanks!).
barbarian.jpg

Postby Byfield » Tue May 07, 2013 2:09 am

Byfield

Snakebreath wrote:I did a bit of a paint over, hope I didn't ruin the picture xD This was my first paint over ever, I just couldn't resist, love this type of art. I tried to keep as much of the original image as possible, mostly made tweaks to anatomy. I noticed some weird lighting through the image though, if there was a secondary source of light the highlight from it should have been a bit duller. I made my lighting assuming it was coming from the top right area. Also repositioned the head as after I fixed the leg the head looked weird (sorry it looks choppy, did it pretty fast). Last change I made was to the monster in the back, the orange reminded me of fire, so I couldn't help but to add some to make the image a bit more interesting. Hope this helps some! (This was great practice by the way, thanks!).

Oh my, I'm honored! For you to take the time to do a paint over really flatters me. I like the way you dd the cloth, it's a more interesting composition than mine, for sure! Your paint over gave me some interesting ideas for tweaks. Thanks for the feedback!

Postby Snakebreath » Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 am

Snakebreath

No problem, it was fun! Like I said, mid evil type paintings are always awesome!

Postby RobberyOnline » Tue May 07, 2013 3:16 am

RobberyOnline

I raelly love the feel of the piece, i would say tht from the hips up you are doing a really good job, but the problem is the drawing that you started with, i recommend you use guide lines to sketch out the pose before you start painting, you should really read some gesture drawing books they help a lot. :)

Postby RobberyOnline » Tue May 07, 2013 3:19 am

RobberyOnline

Also the elbow is usually located where the rib cage ends :D

Postby Ambiguity » Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 am

Ambiguity

There is a lot of fundamental problems here like really ambiguous perspective, weird anatomy, and proportional mishaps to name a few. As Rob' mentioned you need to make sure you have a solid drawing worked out before moving onto rendering. More than that though, you need more narrative before you even flesh out the idea; I don't understand what's really supposed to be going on. Is he running away from something? Why is he in a cave(I assume it's a cave)?

Anyways, I did a quick sketch to show you what you might have done differently:
This really needs more of a story though, otherwise he's just a dude in a cave.

Postby Byfield » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 am

Byfield

Robberyonline: Thanks for the advice! I definitely need to studya nd practice more human figure drawings!

Ambiguity: Thanks a lot for the critique! He's not in a cave, however I tried to give the impression that maybe he was using going into battle with these spirit-y monster things, but I guess it does kinda look like he's just running away. Also, I was trying to give the impression that he was running at a fast sprint, hence the smoke and debris at the feet. I clearly need to redo the pose and make it more dynamic; also I would like to make give the gesture more energy which I think needs a different perspective.

Thanks a lot for the advice already everyone! it's been enormously helpful and I'm really loving all of the critiques!

I would also love to note my own concern with the piece, which is the color. It has a very "beginner-y" feel to the color (which I suppose I am still very much a beginner), which I tried to fix over and over and even studied the crap out of other works to try to avoid this look to it, clearly I need more practice. However, I would love to here what might be causing the "beginner" feel to the color. I assume it's partly (if not all) due to value, but maybe also a saturation issue? An explanation for this issue with a possible paint over (or not, happy either way) would be enormously appreciated!!

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Fedodika

I would also love to note my own concern with the piece, which is the color. It has a very "beginner-y" feel to the color (which I suppose I am still very much a beginner), which I tried to fix over and over and even studied the crap out of other works to try to avoid this look to it, clearly I need more practice. However, I would love to here what might be causing the "beginner" feel to the color. I assume it's partly (if not all) due to value, but maybe also a saturation issue? An explanation for this issue with a possible paint over (or not, happy either way) would be enormously appreciated!!

Your colors look fine to me; just work on values. Take the piece into black and white and make sure all the shadows/midtones/textures and highlights are working. For one i see that the horns on his helmet have strange lighting on them. Also his chest could get a few more shadows where that little strapped metal thing is, like underneath it, to show it has form. Overall you're values aren't terrible, you do have shadows in the correct places, and i can kind of tell where the light is, but the anatomy could use a lot of work.

Welcome to the forum! I was a lurker for a while too <3

Postby Byfield » Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Byfield

Fedodika wrote:Your colors look fine to me; just work on values. Take the piece into black and white and make sure all the shadows/midtones/textures and highlights are working. For one i see that the horns on his helmet have strange lighting on them. Also his chest could get a few more shadows where that little strapped metal thing is, like underneath it, to show it has form. Overall you're values aren't terrible, you do have shadows in the correct places, and i can kind of tell where the light is, but the anatomy could use a lot of work.

Welcome to the forum! I was a lurker for a while too <3

Thanks for the advice! I will have to play with the values more I suppose. as for the lighting, it is definitely my least studied area, haha. So far after reading all of your critiques I realize my top priority should be value and anatomy studies. This has been very helpful!

Does anyone have any critiques about the composition/overall design? that seemed to be the biggest hurdle in my mind. I'm always questioning a design idea and whether it actually looks decent or if I need a different perspective on how to approach composition/design.

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Fedodika

like ambiguity stated earlier, why is he running? is he running towards an enemy, or away from an enemy? Right now he's just kind of running and getting a glamour shot look at the camera; Composition wise, the fact that he is running must mean something you know? If he were just looking into the camera with an intimidating pose, like from underneath, the story would be that you are a weakling compared to this guy you know? If you wanted to make this a more action oriented shot, you could have the camera at a diagonal angle, because simply doing that adds a lot of tension. You could look at a still object from underneath and a diagonal angle and it suddenly seems more intense. My cranberry juice bottle looks like a real badass right now ;)

His outfit is cool; but feels a bit generic. Skyrim like helmet, soul calibur 4 Custom character shoulder plates, runescape battle axe (should also work on the foreshortening on that), and Blizzard esque chest plate. It is a nice blend of ideas, but try to come up with something new and intersting as far as the costume.

He looks good, but he could look awesome with fundamentals ;)

Postby Byfield » Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Byfield

Fedodika wrote:like ambiguity stated earlier, why is he running? is he running towards an enemy, or away from an enemy? Right now he's just kind of running and getting a glamour shot look at the camera; Composition wise, the fact that he is running must mean something you know? If he were just looking into the camera with an intimidating pose, like from underneath, the story would be that you are a weakling compared to this guy you know? If you wanted to make this a more action oriented shot, you could have the camera at a diagonal angle, because simply doing that adds a lot of tension. You could look at a still object from underneath and a diagonal angle and it suddenly seems more intense. My cranberry juice bottle looks like a real badass right now ;)

His outfit is cool; but feels a bit generic. Skyrim like helmet, soul calibur 4 Custom character shoulder plates, runescape battle axe (should also work on the foreshortening on that), and Blizzard esque chest plate. It is a nice blend of ideas, but try to come up with something new and intersting as far as the costume.

He looks good, but he could look awesome with fundamentals ;)

Wow, thanks! That is some very helpful advice. I completely forgot about the tilted camera angle composition. I agree with the pose though - about a 90% through I began wishing I had made the pose more... intimidating; your idea but a down angle shot would've been much better. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. I agree that the stuff is definitely a bit generic. I suppose I need to start designing my own armor to use on future illustrations.

P.S. I laughed out loud at the Runescape battle axe comment. Totally not what I was going for :lol:.

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Fedodika

the first step is getting away from runescape; the rest is history...
3157452233005806.png

Return to Critique This!