Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:44 pm

DRaff210

Subject title: Boy and Beast - Character Critiques

Hello! I'm new around here, and I'm fairly new to art in general, as well. I'm currently very early on in my study of the fundamentals - anatomy, gesture, perspective, color theory, and such - but I do think I've improved quite significantly since I've started my studies (around February). I've been shy about sharing stuff I make with others, but I want to finally change that.

I made this piece back in early April. Even though I've made a lot of progress in the ~3 months since, I'm still quite happy with how this turned out despite my lack of experience. This was made before I started even looking at anatomy or perspective, and thus, I can already see problems in regards to proportions, structure, etc. (lol hands). As I'm still very much a beginner, I'd really like to know what all of you here think about this piece, and what I can do to improve in the future.

Oh, and, uh, I guess a little about the piece itself. I've had this story idea about a kid and his beast guardian for years now, but I've only recently been confident enough to start drawing them. I hope to someday be able to tell their story. So yeah! Any and all advice and critiques are extremely appreciated.
Besties with a Beastie.jpg

Postby aikoonodera » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:30 am

aikoonodera

DRaff210 wrote:Hello! I'm new around here, and I'm fairly new to art in general, as well. I'm currently very early on in my study of the fundamentals - anatomy, gesture, perspective, color theory, and such - but I do think I've improved quite significantly since I've started my studies (around February). I've been shy about sharing stuff I make with others, but I want to finally change that.

Good for you!! That's awesome, man. Keep at it, and you'll find yourself with a sharp learning curve on your hands.

I made this piece back in early April. Even though I've made a lot of progress in the ~3 months since, I'm still quite happy with how this turned out despite my lack of experience. This was made before I started even looking at anatomy or perspective, and thus, I can already see problems in regards to proportions, structure, etc. (lol hands). As I'm still very much a beginner, I'd really like to know what all of you here think about this piece, and what I can do to improve in the future.

I see a lot of potential in the piece. The thing that sticks out is it flows a bit easier then a lot of beginner pieces; it feels like you have a natural eye for gesture. Of course you can and will get better, but already having a small taste of talent for an area proves incredibly helpful, even if it's not necessary, down the line.
I feel like for the most part a lot of the areas you need to work on will be self explanatory because you're developing your critical eye, but I'll go ahead and list the big ones below:
-You have the makings for a great rendering artist. Although you have a lot to work on with it, the colors and value imply a desire to think in form, with the shadows and colors wrapping around the figures. This will need to be worked on as you go, but for now, it shows promise.
-Form, while also seeming likely to come more naturally down the line, is a big one to start working on. Even without drawing, you should start trying to feel how things fit in 3D space; stare at people on TV and try to feel the form of their bodies even just in your mind. This is a weird and lengthy process to adapt to, but it'll happen over time.
-Canvas textures, while nice for finishing polish, can be a handicap. You probably didn't add this until after the picture was complete, but do make sure to practice real texture painting.

I keep noticing little things hidden under the mask of "beginner" art that shows true potential. I know I've said that a few times now, but...the pink you've added to the clothes for the lighting and the general way you were pretty smart at the color scheme is very impressive for your "skill level". I know it might be caused by a layer mask, but even if it is--perhaps take notes! It looks good.

Oh, and, uh, I guess a little about the piece itself. I've had this story idea about a kid and his beast guardian for years now, but I've only recently been confident enough to start drawing them. I hope to someday be able to tell their story. So yeah! Any and all advice and critiques are extremely appreciated.

I know the feeling. It seems like a really fun, pleasant story, and I'd love to see and read more about it. While you develop your skills, I hope to see your sequential art talent follow suit. I don't wanna just read about them, I want to feel them, and their story. This is a good first step towards that goal.

Hope this helps!
I want to be your princess.

Art Facebook (usually the most up to date)
Art tumblr
Deviantart
Sketchbook (huge skill difference from first posts to now)

Postby DRaff210 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:22 pm

DRaff210

Thank you for the feedback! It means a lot to me that someone can find value in something I've created. I appreciate your perspective on my use of color and gesture; they're two things that I especially want to become proficient at. I also see what you mean about learning how to draw forms in a three-dimensional space; it's something I had quite a bit of trouble with in this piece (the beast's shoulder looks really flat, the kid's legs are wonky, etc.). I do feel that I'm getting better at these things with practice, but it sure is a difficult road!

Return to Critique This!