Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 am

UnorthodoxThing

Subject title: 3/4 view Portrait - need some advice on it

I had to stop rendering-detailing this when I realise I don't think it looks right (so coloring aside). I didn't think about the perspective when I started this and now it's kinda jumbled up. Frankly I have no experience in this angle. Any suggestion, tips or guidance?
stop it.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby svarn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:23 pm

svarn

Judging by your other work, I belive that you only have an issue with these kind of angles that you are not used to. And theres no other way around it, then just to keep trying to draw them. And I don't mean once or twice.

When it comes to angle from below, you can help yourself by drawing a triangle shape for the bottom of the nose. Also position of ears can help out a lot, as they go down when you tilt the head.
Also don't forget to do your messurments regardless of what angle you are working with. Those might change slighly due to perspective, but the distortion is usually not going to be significant enough to bother with it.
Jawline can mess up your piece very easily, especially on drawing stage. Keep in mind that it's an imaginary line, that's helpfull when drawing the head. But and in reality it's quite smooth, especially when seen from below.

Anyway here are some quick doodles, and a raw overpaint. I hope that it helps.

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 am

UnorthodoxThing

svarn wrote:
Spoiler: show
Judging by your other work, I belive that you only have an issue with these kind of angles that you are not used to. And theres no other way around it, then just to keep trying to draw them. And I don't mean once or twice.

When it comes to angle from below, you can help yourself by drawing a triangle shape for the bottom of the nose. Also position of ears can help out a lot, as they go down when you tilt the head.
Also don't forget to do your messurments regardless of what angle you are working with. Those might change slighly due to perspective, but the distortion is usually not going to be significant enough to bother with it.
Jawline can mess up your piece very easily, especially on drawing stage. Keep in mind that it's an imaginary line, that's helpfull when drawing the head. But and in reality it's quite smooth, especially when seen from below.

Anyway here are some quick doodles, and a raw overpaint. I hope that it helps.

Thx! I realise you can't see the bottom plane of the jaw in that perspective. I might try out some side view first tho.
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby snisetski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 pm

snisetski

The nose is way too far down. The left eye is way too small. The hair has no natural flow to it. The colors are flat.

Think of the face as a simple block in space. That will make drawing complex angles much easier
IMG_7205.JPG
I'm sorry this might not be the best way to draw it, I just wanted to show you how to compare a face to a block

Return to Critique This!