Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby RAC00NIE » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:48 pm

RAC00NIE

Subject title: Mandilor's Randomness

Your sketches and paintings are so amazing! Do you use reference while painting these landscapes?

Postby Mandilor » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Mandilor

anti.josh wrote:Awesome that you're drawing so much! I really like how you used that marker in the pencil sketches.
Glad you like it! It's actually a watercolor brush instead of a marker but I guess that's pretty much the same thing as markers are just a evolution of watercolors.

RAC00NIE wrote:Your sketches and paintings are so amazing! Do you use reference while painting these landscapes?

Thanks! Yes I do use reference. Hmm maybe I should post some next to the pieces they were used on.

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:11 am

DRaff210

Holy moly, the improvement you achieved in just a few years is astounding. You can really tell that your sense of lighting, color, and form has gotten drastically better since then. And that speedpaint is amazing, as usual.

Postby Mandilor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:53 am

Mandilor

DRaff210 wrote:Holy moly, the improvement you achieved in just a few years is astounding. You can really tell that your sense of lighting, color, and form has gotten drastically better since then. And that speedpaint is amazing, as usual.
Thanks! I looked back after reading this and yeah, I can see how this has worked out. I'm glad I decided to start that faces sketch book. Also doing Noah's art camp really helped. Glad you like the speed paints. I got more of those coming.

Postby Ibyville » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Ibyville

Wow you draw a lot, and your draws are pretty readable and expressive that`s admirable.

Postby Mandilor » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:33 pm

Mandilor

Postby piikeo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:29 am

piikeo

wowow
you're amazing at drawing scenery!!!
i love how much depth u create, the shading looks so nice!! :')
sketchbook | tumblr | instagram 18/pink is my favourite colour

Postby Mandilor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:28 am

Mandilor

Here is this weeks speed painting. I feel like there is something wrong with but not quite sure what. If anyone has a critique for it I'd love to hear your opinion.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=f7rC7_0hSfM

Postby Mandilor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Mandilor

Sketches from yesterday.

Postby wartynewt » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

wartynewt

Yo mandilor, you've got some really awesome speedpaintings there! As for the painting u want critique on, i feel like the biggest problem are the values. I would push the far mountains back a bit by decreasing the value and adding some 'bloom'. especially the water shouldn't be that highly saturated and dark on the far end of the lake. You can also push the lighting a bit more creating some shadows from the palmtrees, letting some light hit the leaves, etc.
The creature's face also seems a little bit flat, maybe use a lion or something as reference.
Hope this helps a bit (i don't have much time these days otherwise i'd do an overpaint :p). Also loooooooove how you painted the foreground and the character! Keep it up.

Postby Mandilor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 am

Mandilor

Ah I see what you mean. I guess I was so concentrated on the mid /foreground I forgot to get the background/midground right. Thanks! The creature is suppose to be based off a sphinx so his face would be relatively flat but yeah it is lacking form. I'm not to worried about that as that's a detail I'd get to if I kept working on it but it's a speed painting so no time. Thanks for the critique!

Postby Mandilor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Mandilor

First part of a speed painting
Time lapse video https://youtu.be/Q5Ev6DT_ONo

Second part
time lapse video https://youtu.be/2faKAKNaP8w

Postby PuRin0 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:01 pm

PuRin0

your environments are so good *o* , if i may give you some advice, try to incorporate more hard edges and a bit more contrast in your paintings owo

Postby Mandilor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Mandilor

PuRin0 wrote:your environments are so good *o* , if i may give you some advice, try to incorporate more hard edges and a bit more contrast in your paintings owo
Thanks! Yeah I agree with that. I tend to paint from general and fuzzy to specific and crisp. So a my speed paintings are missing those hard edges they need. I'll work on it, thanks for pointing it out :D

Postby DRaff210 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 am

DRaff210

Awesome stuff, as always. The one with the planets is super trippy, and that last sphinx painting is my favorite - monsters FTW! :lol:

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:48 pm

NesoKaiyoH

I love that last piece, although I think it would look better not cropped - gives that sense of scale around the characters a bit more ^o^

- Lovely brushwork too
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby wannabe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 pm

wannabe

most of environemtal studies are somewhat incomplete but lighting in them is wonderful
Spoiler: show
it is not me though who have the right to speak about completeness of a piece

moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.
(The more honestly the better)

Postby Mandilor » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:39 am

Mandilor

DRaff210 wrote:Awesome stuff, as always. The one with the planets is super trippy, and that last sphinx painting is my favorite - monsters FTW! :lol:
Glad to hear it! I planning on doing more like that with a menagerie or different creatures.

NesoKaiyoH wrote:I love that last piece, although I think it would look better not cropped - gives that sense of scale around the characters a bit more ^o^

- Lovely brushwork too
Ah thanks, I've been working on my brush work. To here its work is music to my ears. Yeah I think you're right about that. I was trying to work on getting the comp to up and personal but I think I should try and work those type of things from the start instead of cropping it down half way threw the process.

wannabe wrote:most of environemtal studies are somewhat incomplete but lighting in them is wonderful
it is not me though who have the right to speak about completeness of a piece

Yeah, they are speed paintings after all so it's unavoidable that they look unfinished. Although I do need to work on making them a little bit crisper even with the time I'm giving myself. Also the main idea behind them is to get good lighting so if they have good lighting in a way doesn't that make them done?

Postby Mandilor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Mandilor

Some sketches from my larger sketchbook. I've found I really like drawing figures in my larger sketchbook as oppose to the small one. The small one feels to cramped.

Postby Mandilor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Mandilor

Here are the last two weeks speed paintings. The second one is a study after one of Bernini's sculptures.

Speed paint video: https://youtu.be/U64vpIYlESc

Speed paint video: https://youtu.be/6Ee-U87m-bo

Postby PuRin0 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:33 am

PuRin0

those last paintings look so Amazing dude i really like them !!

Postby Xiphor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Xiphor

Damn dude, that drapery is srsly amazing! Really loving the values as well >.>

Postby Koźlik » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Koźlik

Wow, amazing details! : 0
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby Mandilor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:00 am

Mandilor

PuRin0 wrote:those last paintings look so Amazing dude i really like them !!
Ah thanks! I'm glad you like them

Xiphor wrote:Damn dude, that drapery is srsly amazing! Really loving the values as well >.>
Thanks! I've really gotten into drapery lately. It's quite fun to play with the shapes in an abstract way while having them actually be something. Of course that one is just a master study but still a lot of fun.

Koźlik wrote:Wow, amazing details! : 0
Oh you think so! Thanks! I feel like I struggle to put details in, I'm always worrying about the big picture that I neglect them.

Postby wannabe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:22 pm

wannabe

Mandilor wrote:Image

didn't mentioned earlier, dat cloth is hnngh
moderately focused
Sketchbook
Deviantart
Would appreciate your views on what is not right with my work rather than what is right.
(The more honestly the better)

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook