Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Inkey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:27 am

Inkey

Subject title: Inkey's Paint splats and Ink pats

Lately being in an art stump, not very happy with what I'm producing or having much fun with doing art.
Any ideas on how I can re-spark the fire again? If my works are getting too repetitive or boring, I'd love to hear feedbacks from you guys. It'll help a ton!

Otherwise have some figure practices!
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [DeviantArt] [Instagram][Discord art community]

Postby Inkey » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Inkey

Process Gif
Spoiler: show

Postby 123mine123 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:48 am

123mine123

Inkey wrote:Image
Process Gif
Spoiler: show

OH nice! That looks cool!

Postby Inkey » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:36 am

Inkey

Hi again!
Currently working on a fan art for nier automata of 2B. Here's a snippet of the current progress.

Postby Inkey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 am

Inkey

Hi guys, long time no post. Been real busy as of late, but here's some sketch to keep things going. ;O
ImageImage

Postby Gevoian » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 am

Gevoian

great work, keep it up, loving the lines/energy.

Postby Inkey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 am

Inkey

Thanks Gevoian!

Heres more stuff from today:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby Inkey » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 am

Inkey

Some sketches I did while in the army. Gotta keep the wheels from going rusty.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby Inkey » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Inkey

More sketches done this week

ImageImage
ImageImage

Also something interesting I'm working on the side. Learning programming for video games! :)
Hopefully I can do more cooler things like adding in game assets and animations.

Postby PitE » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:33 am

PitE

Heeeey is that a jojo reference? Cool to see that you're trying to program.

Postby Fergato » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Fergato

Nice updates man, I love your ink sketches!
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Postby Inkey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am

Inkey

@Fergato Thanks my dude.

@ PitE That is -absolutely- a jojo reference. I wanted to pick up programming in hopes to see my characters come alive in a scene. But it's been proving really tedious so far to learn. We'll just have to see as we go. :O

On the flipside. Working on this character to be put into the endless runner mock up I did the last time. I'll be needing to touch 3D for this one, wew... I can hardly wait.
ImageImage

Postby Inkey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 am

Inkey

Hi guys it's me again

Lately I've hit an art slump. Like, getting bat in the head, kinda bad. I feel no improvement in art, I don't feel like I'm going anywhere. Output in art is pitiful. And stuff just kinda suck balls right now.
I'm buying art lessons, but I don't feel like they're taking me anywhere. I want to study but after awhile it gets boring. I do some sketch-ploration and inevitably end up reminding myself how much I suck ass for not studying. Jesus what a vicious cycle huh?

But hey no worries, have a creepy drawing instead. :^)

Postby LordNoctaeum » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm

LordNoctaeum

I can definitely relate, I always feel like my goals are unattainable. For what its worth I think you're getting better, your stuff has a lot of really nice energy to it!

Postby Inkey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Inkey

LordNoctaeum wrote:I can definitely relate, I always feel like my goals are unattainable. For what its worth I think you're getting better, your stuff has a lot of really nice energy to it!

Thanks man. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone on this.

I'm slowly getting back at doing art now.
I discover that a lot of my detriment as an artist was me holding back myself from my "freedom of expression". I constantly do and draw things in the "trending" or "oh yeah you want a job? You're supposed to draw A B C" category. And I thought focusing on an objective goal would fast tracked me to "success", whatever that means.

In the process I would deny myself:
1) Fan art
2) Silly unprofitable doodles
3) Experimental paintings and styles

I definitely have a problem of killing works and leaving it in the sketch phase because it wasn't "perfect" enough to proceed further. (That explains why I have so many wips haha)
Anyway. Hopefully being honest about my problems is my first step to solving it.

Otherwise, WOAarT!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby Azy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Azy

Regardless of whether you feel like you're just drawing for the masses, I still think some of what you want to express always comes out regardless of what you draw. I always find something interesting and eye catching in every post. I keep an eye out for your stuff.

I really feel like I can relate, except with me it is more a battle against myself rather than what I'm putting out for others. I feel like my mindset is slowly getting better, and that I don't think it is something you can just force yourself to change. It's always just been if im chasing only improvement it always just leads to me suffering. Being a bit more carefree and drawing for fun has been helping me recently, I haven't really studied anything for months, maybe to my detriment, but I feel like it has helped me more than trying to just drill myself into the ground drawing constantly.

Anyways, I do feel like being honest with yourself and writing it out definitely helps. I wish you luck.

Postby HankArt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:16 am

HankArt

Hey Inkey!

Wow you look like your having a ton of fun! Wish I had your confidence. Your stuff looks great.

You're def not alone in feeling the way you do. I wrote about this some in Azy's SB, but I got burned out on art a while back from feeling like I was doing constant study and not any work for myself. For sure sometimes it's going to be a grind. But if the grind is all you focus on you'll lose sight of why you started in the first place. Keep it fun!

You're sense of gesture and sense of humor are great.

Postby Inkey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 am

Inkey

Ahoy guys it's me again with some life updates.
I'm slowly getting back to enjoying the process again. Self-documentation how I felt at certain moments has helped immensely.
Much of it came down to having expectations. Negative self talks. Getting too influenced by other artists and not working on my own projects/ideas.

Things that have helped:
Unplugging from the internet and just letting myself explore my mind. (and world) I sit too long infront of the computer, hoping that an idea would magically spring out of the void. When in reality. God I just needed to take a walk and experience life.

Self care. Taking breaks, engaging in other hobbies, writing journals, eating proper meals (instant noodles sure doesn't count).

It's crazy how much of my displeasure in art doesn't come from art but my poor handling in my own life.
Being self aware is the first step, hopefully things get better from here.

@Azy:
Jesus, thanks man. I crazy appreciate it.
I definitely can relate at that point as well. I don't think it's to any detriment that you've been drawing for fun, especially if it helped you keep your love for drawing.

I never want to lose track in my enjoyment of the journey. Even if it means I won't "get good" in a year shorter or two.

@Hankart:
I'm glad it shows! Even though I'm actually incredibly stressed and anxious when creating certain pieces. xD
Amen on that advice.
Keeping it fun and lighthearted is a honest to god advice I need to start following. It has restricted me to try new things and take risks because it might result in "failure pieces" But god dammit shut brain and let's do some art.

Happy new year everyone. Here's to another year of giving your best.

Postby Azy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 am

Azy

"It's crazy how much of my displeasure in art doesn't come from art but my poor handling in my own life."
"It has restricted me to try new things and take risks because it might result in "failure pieces" But god dammit shut brain and let's do some art."

You can say that again. Honest to god I wish I could just unplug my brain sometimes, I'm always in my head all the time. It's always "no, don't draw that, you can't and aren't good enough to make it look good".

Can always count on you to have some dynamic images, the poses are always interesting and have a little bit of story I can sense. As for your most recent post, I'm not sure if you wanted her to be looking at the bird, but it looks more like she is looking past it rather than at it. Just a small thing.

Postby Inkey » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am

Inkey

@Azy: Heya good job catching that. The bird was infact added after the fact. Oughta be the reason why it looks so off. Lesson learned!

Back with some more stuffs.
Not as much finished/polished stuff as I would like. But that's ok. Last thing I want is to guilt myself into thinking I could do more when I'm burned out. So here's some fun sketches instead.

ImageImage

Postby Inkey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 am

Inkey

Sketchbook fluffs. 8-)
ImageImageImage

Postby PitE » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 pm

PitE

sustainable lifestyle is very important and I can see it working out :)

Postby arodude » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pm

arodude

I love how full of life your character's are!

Postby Inkey » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 am

Inkey

@PitE: Hey dude! Absolutely. Taking breaks from art and working to address my life issues has been the best thing I done for myself in recent months. I'm back again and slowly making stuffs!

@arodude: Yooo, thanks my dude.

Back again after a long absence!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby Polymath » Wed May 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Polymath

Inkey wrote:Also something interesting I'm working on the side. Learning programming for video games! :)
Hopefully I can do more cooler things like adding in game assets and animations.

Really? REALLY? And I thought I was unique...
So cool that you plan to make video games. What did you do till now? What are you planning to do?

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook