Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ameliori » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 am

ameliori

Subject title: potangko's sketchbook

ErnieTheMighty wrote:errors

but i can right click and open in new tab and it work

Oh thanks for pointing that out :D Edited it

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

ErnieTheMighty

i love how you did the face here

awesomenauts

Postby ameliori » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:53 am

ameliori

ErnieTheMighty wrote:i love how you did the face here

awesomenauts

Thanks a lot! Any specific reason why you like it? (is it the style, or because he has a black eye? lol) Cos I was just doodling this one and I think I've forgotten how to draw that particular face haha!

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:08 am

ErnieTheMighty

No. Because I respect people who know how to draw not only adults.

Although I would've liked it 1000x more if he didn't have a black eye. :D

Postby ameliori » Fri May 02, 2014 10:12 am

ameliori

ErnieTheMighty wrote:No. Because I respect people who know how to draw not only adults.

Although I would've liked it 1000x more if he didn't have a black eye. :D

Hahaha! Sorry.. It was just something random! And I like drawing kids. Especially kids being creepy haha

++

Color practice for environments.. Sigh.. Dammit this is hard.

Some recent digital sketches... Transitioning very slowly to digital and experimenting with styles here ._.

Image Image
Image Image

Postby Kuronuma » Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 am

Kuronuma

lovely sketches. I especially like the first one. great stylisation there!
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby tsai.leehua » Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 am

tsai.leehua

Kewl stuff! I really like your character design one!

Great environment studies... someday I will do them hopefully lol.

Postby ameliori » Mon May 12, 2014 11:31 am

ameliori

Kuronuma wrote:lovely sketches. I especially like the first one. great stylisation there!

Thanks Kuronuma! That one's my fave as well. I still can't decide what style I like best to be honest haha

tsai.leehua wrote:Kewl stuff! I really like your character design one!

Great environment studies... someday I will do them hopefully lol.

Thanks for dropping by leehua! The environment studies are a bit frustrating, but it can't be bad for us, skill-wise. Check out Nathan Fowkes work. He's a really good colorist.

++

Here's some dump of my recent stuff... I had to share these because I got quite a scare on my external HD. My artwork files suddenly went corrupt. Good thing I managed to save most of them. They're mostly dabblings and no major artworks, thank goodness. Different styles once again

First try at anime-style ish coloring
reworked with better color choices
This is made from the b&w to color.
While this one is a straight up lay-in of color

some portrait practicing

Postby fleur » Mon May 12, 2014 1:52 pm

fleur

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/ ... 8186d9.jpg This is sososo good ;_;
And good job on your recent studies!
17-F-England

Postby Roger » Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Roger

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/ ... 6b955b.jpg

Is that the girl from the movie Amelie or Robin Scherbatsky form How I Met Your Mother?

Really nice sketchbook.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby N-igarashi » Tue May 13, 2014 5:19 am

N-igarashi

I always come back here and find something really cool.

Your studies are helpful. I actually just started picking up the Reilly method and it seems to be making a great deal of sense to me.

I really like your digital sketches. It makes me want to practice it more.

Postby ameliori » Sat May 24, 2014 4:17 pm

ameliori

N-igarashi wrote:I always come back here and find something really cool.

Your studies are helpful. I actually just started picking up the Reilly method and it seems to be making a great deal of sense to me.

I really like your digital sketches. It makes me want to practice it more.

Wow thanks! It's a great compliment that I inspire you to practice! Damn.. Thank you so much. And yeah Reilley methos was one of the first things I learned that made sense to me as well! Glad to see you're working at it!

Roger wrote:http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/bikasue/paint-practice2_zps496b955b.jpg

Is that the girl from the movie Amelie or Robin Scherbatsky form How I Met Your Mother?

Really nice sketchbook.

Oh that's Amelie. It's one of my favorite movies. And I've always remembered it as a highly saturated movie so I thought I could use it as a study. Upon seeing it again, I realized it has this warm yellow cast over most of it. Being an artist is fun! Thanks for dropping by!

fleur wrote:http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w57/bikasue/sketchingpractice02_zps7f8186d9.jpg This is sososo good ;_;
And good job on your recent studies!

Thank you!! It was just on a whim. I think my favorite is her stomach haha. I got lucky painting that part and it looks good!

++

Not doing much studies recently because I got bogged down with work, but I think I'm slowly getting the hang of the face.

But still horrible on the landscapes. So I did tiny thumbnails to train my eye to see it in space. I think this is important.

Digital Painting the form

Master Study of Rocks and stuff o-o

Last edited by ameliori on Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun May 25, 2014 5:17 am

Ambiguity

How were you doing those leg studies, were you studying from someone specific?

Postby ameliori » Sun May 25, 2014 7:15 pm

ameliori

Ambiguity wrote:How were you doing those leg studies, were you studying from someone specific?

Studying from someone, like a mentor, you mean? In that case, not really anyone specific. I watched Sycra's video on how to draw feet and read leg tutorials in deviantart and such. For the studies themselves, they were mostly a combination of drawing from references found in random places (mostly google images, really) and drawing them by imagination. What specifically are you curious about in the leg studies?

Postby Ambiguity » Mon May 26, 2014 1:29 am

Ambiguity

potangko wrote:Studying from someone, like a mentor, you mean?

No, not per se anyway, I meant like are you studying from a book(e.g. Hogarth, Lloomis, Hampton, etc.) or videos or something?

potangko wrote:I watched Sycra's video on how to draw feet and read leg tutorials in deviantart and such.

You got links? I looked but I couldn't find anything really good except these(although MoonYeah!! and DHB would disagree):
http://kakimari.deviantart.com/art/anat ... 29%29&qo=4
http://kakimari.deviantart.com/art/anat ... 29%29&qo=5

potangko wrote:What specifically are you curious about in the leg studies?

I think you answered everything, thanks.

Postby ameliori » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 am

ameliori

Ambiguity wrote:No, not per se anyway, I meant like are you studying from a book(e.g. Hogarth, Lloomis, Hampton, etc.) or videos or something?

Oh hmm.. Not really. I have those books, but I'm trying not to look at them cos I have the tendency to stick too much on the theory side and not get anything done haha. The references I have were mostly find on various websites like pinterest, google images and deviantart hahaha. Not any particular book or videos worth mentioning. Oh but the sycra video on the foot helped me a lot, also Jordy lakiere's tutorial on the leg/butt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1RMZX989yk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQNCttZ_cE

++

Hey guys, haven't updated for a long time because I got busy with unrelated work. Also, my old scanner broke so it was a pain to photograph my sketches and edit/post the images. I got around to doing them though. They've been piling high haha.

After a brief stint with digital drawing, i went back to traditional because I feel like that's mostly where I improve faster. I don't want to sound preachy here because everyone has their own way to improve.. But if you're a beginner, consider doing things traditionally too. There are a lot of shortcuts in digital that masks your weaknesses. Things like cropping, liquify and cut-paste will save you time and probably improve your eye, but I think working in traditional teaches you to make smarter decisions and hone your skill. Just my two cents.

Face and anatomy studies. Focusing on the gesture now and the silhouette. The face is giving me a hard time, especially the placement of the features.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Watercolor on the left, oil on the right. I finally gathered enough courage to use my student-grade paints and make some basic shape studies. It shows the progression of my first study to the last blank page (I didn't do any recently because the turps are making me a bit sick haha). I'm saving up for an oil painting workshop because I think it will help me understand how the paints actually work.
ImageImage

Postby keltronica » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:37 pm

keltronica

awesome sketches and water color!

I tried digital painting as well and I also found that I progressed faster by doing traditional. I think my problem was I didn't know how to use photoshop really effectively so i'd spend more time messing around with the tools, effects, and trying to find tutorials more than actually painting :P

Postby ameliori » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 pm

ameliori

keltronica wrote:awesome sketches and water color!

I tried digital painting as well and I also found that I progressed faster by doing traditional. I think my problem was I didn't know how to use photoshop really effectively so i'd spend more time messing around with the tools, effects, and trying to find tutorials more than actually painting :P

Hahaha definitely me too! My bookmarks tab is full of them.. Also I have this morbid addiction to speedpaints. I don't really learn much from them, but they are so cool to watch and I trick myself into thinking it's educational, when really, it's not too different from watching a person lifting a truck on T.V.! Haha!

Postby keltronica » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:00 pm

keltronica

potangko wrote:
keltronica wrote:awesome sketches and water color!

Hahaha definitely me too! My bookmarks tab is full of them.. Also I have this morbid addiction to speedpaints. I don't really learn much from them, but they are so cool to watch and I trick myself into thinking it's educational, when really, it's not too different from watching a person lifting a truck on T.V.! Haha!

speed paints are awesome... its like MAGIC! especially the people like seage who use a weird brush to make a bunch of shapes then turn the shapes into people or whatever.
In your first few posts - what kind of paper did you use? it looks like home made paper or something.

Postby ameliori » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:51 am

ameliori

keltronica wrote:
speed paints are awesome... its like MAGIC! especially the people like seage who use a weird brush to make a bunch of shapes then turn the shapes into people or whatever.
In your first few posts - what kind of paper did you use? it looks like home made paper or something.

Oh, those papers.. They were recycled from shopping paper bags. The extra wrinkled ones were the kind of paper used as filling when you buy a new bag/wallet. Some of them were paper bags from groceries and starbucks. I was too scared and un-confident to use "proper" paper before that I opted to draw on junky paper. I told myself, if the drawings turned out bad, I wouldn't get depressed that I ruined a perfectly nice piece of paper. I can just throw them away. I never thought someone would ask me about them though hahaha.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 am

sgtmikey101

your stuff is just pure awesome, just wow

Postby kastanova » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:17 am

kastanova

I really like how much you've improved since you first started your sketchbook :D
I'm a 13 year old from Canada !
Tumblr: http://kastanova.tumblr.com/
Deviant art: http://kastanova.deviantart.com/
Will post on both soon (:

Postby ameliori » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:24 am

ameliori

sgtmikey101 wrote:your stuff is just pure awesome, just wow

Oh gosh! Thanks for dropping by to say such nice words! I'm honored!

kastanova wrote:I really like how much you've improved since you first started your sketchbook :D

Yeah, I'm really happy too. Thanks for noticing! Sometimes when I'm in a depressed mood, it helps to look back and see the work you've put in before. It's like fuel that keeps you going when things seem unsure.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 am

sgtmikey101

You definitely deserve to be followed on tumblr. I just like the energy and subject matter in your pieces. I'm digging it

Postby ameliori » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:08 pm

ameliori

sgtmikey101 wrote:You definitely deserve to be followed on tumblr. I just like the energy and subject matter in your pieces. I'm digging it

Thanks a lot sgtmikey101! Your words of encouragement mean a lot!

+++

As I've promised to myself before, I got enough funds together to join an oil painting workshop! It was pretty daunting at first, but everyone was really nice. The first day was spent getting to know the paint, the mediums involved and the brushes. This is my first plate. I was given a photo reference and was asked to do a monochrome study using Burnt Sienna. I wasn't able to finish it haha, but my instructor said I can finish it in the next session.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook