Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Snakebreath » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Snakebreath

Subject title: potangko's sketchbook

Your figures are amazing, there so fluid and smooth, great work! :D

Postby deerbard » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 pm

deerbard

Wow, your figures from memory are even better than with reference I'd say! Thx man! This is great idea, I should try it out.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Ambiguity

The gesture of those figures are great, just watch the heads, they're a tad too small on some of them.

Postby N-igarashi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:02 am

N-igarashi

This is some great stuff man!

I love your studies!

Postby ameliori » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:51 pm

ameliori

Thanks for the support everyone! It seems those studies are useful to some people. I'm glad! It took me a long time before I got the 3D anatomy down so I hope you fare better!

@Snakebreath: Thank you! Do you mean the lines or the gestures? Cos the lines aren't as smooth as they look haha!
@deerbard: What a huge compliment! I'm not sure about that but thanks!
@Ambiguity: Thanks a lot! You have a good eye for these things.
@N-igarashi: Thanks man! I hope you find the studies helpful too!

Tried still life today. The graphite looked ..okay (the texture on the orange really stumped me) but I think that watercolor study is a fail haha. If I layer any more colors, I'm pretty sure its gonna get hella muddy haha. I was a bit disappointed. Need to practice this more!
Also, I spilled ink on my sketchbook. What a messy session today haha!

Postby AlphaPetra » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:55 pm

AlphaPetra

Whoa solid drawing around here :)
Love the sketch of the girl on the bike ^w^

Postby ameliori » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:38 pm

ameliori

AlphaPetra wrote:Whoa solid drawing around here :)
Love the sketch of the girl on the bike ^w^

Thanks AlphaPetra! Still getting the hang of it and yeah, the girl on the bike is my fave one so far! :D

Postby Kuronuma » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Kuronuma

Yeah those traditional things look great! :)
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby Zearthus » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:41 am

Zearthus

Solid sketch book mate. Keep going. Looking forward to see more of your sketches.
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby ameliori » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 pm

ameliori

@Kuronuma: Thanks a lot. Traditional is my go to thing, but I better try digital soon or I'll become a fossil haha
@brianhermelijn: Thanks man! It's a great compliment to know that you wanna see more of my work.

++

Tried painting backgrounds and it came out as weird as expected haha. For anyone experienced in backgrounds, can you tell me why it looks kinda cramped? I dunno it feels squished and cramped to me somehow.

Also I tried to make a character digitally! Digitally! Wooh! I know it doesnt look like much, but this is a big thing for me haha! Lines are so messy tho eh.. I don't know how to make them cleaner.. Comments/critiques as always!

Postby ameliori » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:09 pm

ameliori

Character design trial. Trying out the ever popular and ancient "pencil sketch to photoshop" technique. I didnt render our the lines to look if the effect is okay.. It might be too messy.

Postby Fawkes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Fawkes

potangko wrote:Character design trial. Trying out the ever popular and ancient "pencil sketch to photoshop" technique. I didnt render our the lines to look if the effect is okay.. It might be too messy.

Awesome! ^-^ love the clothing. I have so many characters I want to draw, I should start allready

Postby ameliori » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 am

ameliori

@Fawkes: Thanks. Yeah, me too. There's a lot in my head, sometimes I don't know where to begin! I'd love to see your characters soon. Are they mostly medieval, modern or futuristic type?

++

Legs are giving me such a hard time, so I thought to relax and draw a face. Practicing my visual motor skills and reference drawing as well. I think the hardest thing to reference is the face because the features have to be precise (esp if drawing a public figure). I hope it looks like her at least haha.

Postby Fawkes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 am

Fawkes

potangko wrote:@Fawkes: Thanks. Yeah, me too. There's a lot in my head, sometimes I don't know where to begin! I'd love to see your characters soon. Are they mostly medieval, modern or futuristic type?

++

Legs are giving me such a hard time, so I thought to relax and draw a face. Practicing my visual motor skills and reference drawing as well. I think the hardest thing to reference is the face because the features have to be precise (esp if drawing a public figure). I hope it looks like her at least haha.

All my characters are part of the same world/story, and they vary alot in terms of their 'type', but i generally like to incorporate elements of magic and technology to my characters ^^

I know what you mean haha, I'm struggling with legs too! I'm gonna spend the day doing figure studies...and LEG studies.

Postby Choctoppi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:05 am

Choctoppi

mm. interesting concept, sketching things that scare you for practice, 'll have to try it some time! I really like your sketchbook, the texture on your traditional stuff is great! For your digital work, I would urge you to try and define the edges your shapes/figures more with bolder shadows/lines/colors. Great work though! I think my favorite is the girl with wings on the bike.

Postby ameliori » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 am

ameliori

Fawkes wrote:
All my characters are part of the same world/story, and they vary alot in terms of their 'type', but i generally like to incorporate elements of magic and technology to my characters ^^

I know what you mean haha, I'm struggling with legs too! I'm gonna spend the day doing figure studies...and LEG studies.

Oh same same. RPG- type characters are faves of mine. Post them soon! After a week of doing nothing but leg studies, I gotta say it's kinda depressing haha. I'm tired phew.. But gotta push through.. Hope things are going better on your end

Choctoppi wrote:mm. interesting concept, sketching things that scare you for practice, 'll have to try it some time! I really like your sketchbook, the texture on your traditional stuff is great! For your digital work, I would urge you to try and define the edges your shapes/figures more with bolder shadows/lines/colors. Great work though! I think my favorite is the girl with wings on the bike.

Yeah, from that exercise, I think I might be afraid of pain and mutilation. Igz. Weird that I'm also kind of fascinated by it. Thanks for the kind words. I'm having a bit of a hard time transitioning from traditional to digital. I love doing stuff traditionally, but it's slow and I just recently found out that it can be really hard to edit a traditional piece. Not just physically but there's just something "permanent" with traditional so it can be a bit painful, unlike digital where you can copy paste a file and edit that.

Thanks a lot for the advice on my digital works. I'll be putting that into practice. Btw, I'm a fan of your work! Thanks for gracing me with your presence! :D

++

Practicing digital painting on faces. I started with faces because I love em haha. It keeps me motivated in tackling a new medium. These are two very different techniques from tutorials (1-direct color 2-b&w). Trying them to get a feel of both.

Which of the two looks better?
Last edited by ameliori on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am

ErnieTheMighty

That giraffe portrait is amazing. I love it. XD

Postby ameliori » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:26 am

ameliori

ErnieTheMighty wrote:That giraffe portrait is amazing. I love it. XD

Giraffe portrait? O-o? Haha Which one is that? Thanks though

Postby Fawkes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 am

Fawkes

Your digital faces are looking good! ^^ I went through a digital phase once, buuut I drifted back to traditional. Are you using photoshop?

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 pm

ErnieTheMighty

potangko wrote:

Image XD

Postby ameliori » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:34 am

ameliori

ErnieTheMighty wrote:
potangko wrote:

XD

Does it look like a giraffe? Hahaha! I feel like I'm missing a joke here. You have a strange sense of humor Ernie haha.

Fawkes wrote:Your digital faces are looking good! ^^ I went through a digital phase once, buuut I drifted back to traditional. Are you using photoshop?

Oh same. I also did a lot of digital last year, but my hand kept on hurting.. Also I thought I wasn't learning as much as I should because there are a lot of crutches in digital (copy paste, warp, transform and such), so I went back to traditional to get to know the fundamentals.

Yep, did the faces in photoshop! Thanks!

++

I haven't drawn much today. Just ugly doodles.. Nothing really substantial. I feel sort of depressed about art the past few days. It seems like every time I want to make an artwork, I can't think of anything to draw so I end up practicing and copying other peoples work instead. Now I'm doubting if I'm creative enough.. Ah well.. I'm sure it'll pass soon.. Can't stay in this slump for long

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 am

Ambiguity

potangko wrote:
Spoiler: show

Which of the two looks better?

The one on the right, the subtle greens(it's green through my yellow lenses anyway) bring out the reds more and the added hue variation makes the skin feel more realistic.

Postby Snakebreath » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Snakebreath

Great work! I love all the subtle colours your able to mix into your paintings, makes them look really awesome! :D Keep it up!

Postby ameliori » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:32 am

ameliori

@Ambiguity: Thanks! I agree :D
@Snakebreath: Thanks for the encouragement man! Your studies are going great as well.

Happy Easter everybody. I'm back with the grand bulk of the my leg studies.. I think I have a better grasp of the legs now (I hope so at least)

I think I'll tackle the back anatomy next.
Last edited by ameliori on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:34 am

ErnieTheMighty

errors

but i can right click and open in new tab and it work

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook