Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby wraithdragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 pm

wraithdragon

Subject title: wraithdragon's sketchbook

Hi all!
New to the boards and thought I'd post some stuff. Here is just a few things.
ORA3.jpg
Artwork for a friend.

bloodfeast2.jpg
Print I made for a convention. I don't really like the colours, and after watching a bunch of Sycra's YouTube vids I think I'm going to recolour it.

elf-bikini.jpg
Pretty simple drawing. I need to work more on drawing shoulder pads in correct perspective.

demonboy.jpg
A bit of sketchy traditional. It's a pretty crappy photo of the page in my sketch book.

So here's just some stuff I do. I'm always trying to improve my drawing skills and learn more.
Please check out my sketchbook thread if you have the time. =)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby wraithdragon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:40 am

wraithdragon

Fresh sketch from last night. Just trying to redraw an old character from a few of my comics, trying to bring the design up to my current skill level.

bmm-scribbles2.jpg
Black Metal Mako
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby fleur » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 am

fleur

Welcome to the forum :)
That heart eater one hahaha scawee I don't think the colors are that bad because it's deliberately trying to be bold right? I'm not sure about the blue hair though, it feels a bit disjointed. But overall it doesn't look unpleasant
21-F-England

Postby Snakebreath » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Snakebreath

Welcome to the forum! Some pretty unique stuff to start your sketchbook, can't wait to see more :D

Postby Fawkes » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Fawkes

I really like the traditional piece, it has a unique charm to it.

Postby wraithdragon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:21 am

wraithdragon

Thanks for the kind words folks, I appreciate it! Also don't be afraid to point out flaws, I'm here to learn and have thick skin. =D I'll probably post some stuff over in the crit section of the forum when I have some new stuff I need to get help with.

Is the size of my images ok? I wasn't sure if they'd be too big. Also I've seen people using the spoiler tag, should I be using them with images? I thought I could use the spoiler tag when I'm posting NSFW work. Anyways, just want to get a handle of how to do things around here.

Fleur: I'd just like to recolour it because when I made this I really had no clue about putting colours together. I also feel that the background is ...... really ugly. My main reason to recolour it though is because when it is printed the colours come out a lot darker and muddy, so I really need to adjust them. Also I think I really need to add shading, and I may try to paint it instead of cell shading it. I'll probably stick to the same kind of colours though. =)

Snakebreath: Thanks man! I have a bunch of stuff to post, a lot more stuff along these lines.

Fawkes: Cheers! I've been trying to do more traditional work these days. I generally do digital all the time. I do carry a sketchbook with me where ever I go though, but it's mainly for scribbling down ideas and practising gestures when I'm out and about. Also it's a good way to pass the time when I'm sitting on buses or trains, or sitting in a bar waiting for people to turn up. =D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby wraithdragon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:36 am

wraithdragon

This is the final old piece I will post. From here on out everything will be new work.

space_girl_2.jpg
Don't like the background I used, and it kind of looks like she has no hair.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby wraithdragon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:48 pm

wraithdragon

A quick warm up doodle. I scribble stuff like this a lot, but I never really show anyone.
devilstep.jpg
Devil Step
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby Fawkes » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Fawkes

[quote="wraithdragon"]A quick warm up doodle. I scribble stuff like this a lot, but I never really show anyone.
devilstep.jpg
[/

I really like your sketches. Your lines are more free, even though their not as 'clean' as your digital pieces, in the 'sketchiness' lies a story, a feeling. When you're able to work from your intuition and feelings rather than focusing intently on aesthetics an making it 'look right', you subconsciously 'put' life and emotion in your work, at least that's what I've found.

Looking forward to seeing more ^-^

Postby Kuronuma » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Kuronuma

Nice doodle and I generally like what you got there :)
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby wraithdragon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:51 pm

wraithdragon

I try so hard to be loose and sketchy, and I've always felt that my finished pieces always feel sterile and devoid of the feeling the sketch had. It's been something I've struggled a lot to over come, and still can't seem to translate sketch to inked drawing and maintain the energy of the sketch. I've been actively trying to make my inking more sketchy.

Thanks for your kind words. =)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby Fawkes » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Fawkes

wraithdragon wrote:I try so hard to be loose and sketchy, and I've always felt that my finished pieces always feel sterile and devoid of the feeling the sketch had. It's been something I've struggled a lot to over come, and still can't seem to translate sketch to inked drawing and maintain the energy of the sketch. I've been actively trying to make my inking more sketchy.

Thanks for your kind words. =)

I can relate to that, i think it's one of the big problems artists have to overcome. This is something that helped me, try to identify the feeling/thought process you get when you sketch, and try and get into that same mindset when working on your best pieces.

Postby ShapeShifter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 pm

ShapeShifter

I love loose and sketchy work. Therefore I love this sketchbook :lol:
As for keeping things loose but controlled try experimenting with changes in you line quality. Use implied lines and vary the width and boldness in areas you want the viewer to pay attention to. Most the work you have has a very controlled and consistent outline.

Keep postin!
It's hard to beat a person who never gives up. -Babe Ruth

Postby wartynewt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 pm

wartynewt

Cool sketchbook man :) this one is awesome haha ^^ download/file.php?id=14151

Postby wraithdragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:42 am

wraithdragon

Yes! "controlled" very much describes my inked work. I think a lot of my problems is I've always had a tendency to work fairly zoomed in on a piece, and that leads me to do (what I believe I heard Sycra say in one of his videos about tightening up lines) chicken scratch line work. So then I go around trying to smooth out my lines, which ends up removing all the line width variation. I know I need to work more zoomed out, so I can do lines in one go and not do a bunch of little lines to make one line, and this would give me back line width variation. I draw a lot of comics, so moving to this method of inking would also really speed up the inking stage for me, which is by far the most gruelling stage of comicking for me. Really at the end of the day I think I'd just like to be able to tighten my sketches up enough and not ink my comics at all. I'd probably still attempt inking for illustration pieces, but yeah, I think for comics I really want to keep the sketchy energy.

OH, and I've always been so terrible with the implied line technique. I see others using it, but I always feel that when I do it it looks really bad, I generally always end up filling them in.

Anyways, thanks for all the kind words! =)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby Wolfen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 am

Wolfen

Hey wraith i love the black metal mako! love the line work and colouring :) keep it up and post more so i can see :3
20 y.o. artist, student
Deviantart :)! http://misterwolfen.deviantart.com/
Sketchbook ^_^ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9244

Postby wraithdragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:38 am

wraithdragon

Thanks Wolfen! He's a character I've been drawing for ages now, and has several (old and kind of not very good) comics. That sketch was just a bit of a revamp of his character design, trying to get it a little more to what I originally wanted him to look like now that my skills have caught up to my brain ideas. =)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby Wolfen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:40 am

Wolfen

wraithdragon wrote:Thanks Wolfen! He's a character I've been drawing for ages now, and has several (old and kind of not very good) comics. That sketch was just a bit of a revamp of his character design, trying to get it a little more to what I originally wanted him to look like now that my skills have caught up to my brain ideas. =)

That's actually so cool that you were able to take an old concept of your own and make it better and into what you originally had hoped for :)
20 y.o. artist, student
Deviantart :)! http://misterwolfen.deviantart.com/
Sketchbook ^_^ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9244

Postby wraithdragon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:32 am

wraithdragon

I'm constantly re-purposing concepts and characters. I think it's a really important facet of being creative, letting your ideas evolve and progress as you do. I think setting an idea in stone is the worst thing to do to it, as there's so much more to an idea than the initial conception.

Anyways, just for fun, here are some pages from some of my original comics featuring Black Metal Mako. The first page is from the first comic I did with the character, and the second image is the cover for the follow up comic. I really didn't like the style in the second comic, it was too "smooth", and I felt I was moving even further away from the semi-realistic style I wanted. After a year of working on other comics I've decided it's time to come back to BMM and give him and his world the gritty reboot it should of had from the start. =)

bmm-005.jpg
That One Guy feat. BMM p.5 2011

bmm-ouab-01-2.jpg
Once Upon A Beginning feat. BMM p.1 2012
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby wraithdragon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 am

wraithdragon

adriftpaint.jpg
Adrift In The Soul Plane

My first real attempt at digital painting. It took around 3 hours, and I was more working on technique than producing a quality picture. But that said I am actually pretty happy with how this turned out, warts and all. I worked on a single layer, and really tried to put into practice a lot of the stuff I've been seeing in online tutorials on youtube. I definitely feel that this was a successful attempt, and that it's something I want to continue working on doing.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby wraithdragon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:26 am

wraithdragon

Just some new stuff.

love-biter.jpg

borgnewworld.jpg
Just trying to work on a concept I had.

cyborggirl.jpg
Taking the previous concept and trying to push it further digitally. I didn't really like the direction this was going.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby artificial fun » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:39 am

artificial fun

I LOVE the overall shape of that last concept! It feels really unique to see a feminine body with that huge shape on top.

Postby wraithdragon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:49 am

wraithdragon

Thanks Artificial Fun! That weird juxtaposition between human and mechanical is exactly what I was trying for. I realise the physical impossibilities of it all, but there's something about the aesthetic that I find really pleasing. =)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Postby explosivedesign » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:37 pm

explosivedesign

Im seeing improvements in your work, im also liking that last drawing, it looks interesting. keep it up! :3
Im Alex, a Digital Artist Wanna'be

Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11305

Postby wraithdragon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:32 am

wraithdragon

Thanks Explosive! I appreciate your comments. I wish I had an Internet connection at the moment so I could be more active, but all I got at the moment is paid Internet in town. But soon! Soon I hope to be a lot more active on here. I certainly am drawing every day. =)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9492

Return to Sketchbook