Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby deerbard » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:21 pm

deerbard

Subject title: Deerbard's Sketchbook

Hi guys.

So, as I introduced myself in a Lounge, I'm over thirty years old guy who just started to draw this year and wants to keep on doing it from now on.
Unfortunatelly I don't have time for drawing every day (so I need to become a proffesional to change it ;D).
I need your advices. I'll try to ask specific questions. Aaaand I think that's it :) Hope it will work.

Edit: Uhm, and I added my deviantart to signature just as another motivator. It'll propably remain almost empty for some time as I need to learn basics now ;)
Last edited by deerbard on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby deerbard » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:33 pm

deerbard

So this is my drawing from last week. I spent like two hours drawing it. As you can see I have problems with shading. To be honest I have no idea what to do with my hand and with the pencil. I just try this and that and it doesn't look as I'd like it to be.
So my question is - how do you hold a pencil and what moves do you make while shading? How can I follow other directions than natural for arm (bottom left to top right)???

DSC_1067.jpg

Today I tried if I can shade a ball with circular moves and I think I could if I practice. So.. is this how you do it? :D Can you shade even drawing horizontal lines (it seems impossible for me right now)?

DSC_1068.jpg

The thirs one is almost ball shaped part of lamp.

DSC_1069.jpg

Postby parseh_Designs » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:03 pm

parseh_Designs

Hi Deerbard and welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClM2Lu ... 23462tQzBg

Watch the videos. I think you will find the answer for all of your questions.
25 yrs old aspiring artist from Iran. My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7141&start=20

Postby deerbard » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 pm

deerbard

Thanx! I already knew Proko's videos but now I watched more.
I guess the answere is I should be able do do the shading in every possible direction.

Postby deerbard » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:54 am

deerbard

Despite my previous conclusions I tried to draw by almost only easiest bottom-left to top-right lines and using only hb pencil. I guess it lacks much of form and even if I'd continue with more black pencil it would still be the same? Any suggestions?

DSC_1071.jpg

Postby Probably Singed » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:17 am

Probably Singed

Don't be afraid to commit with the pencil or afraid to use your eraser. Both are tools to make things stronger, but it looks like you don't really want to erase and you don't really want to make a mark you can't get rid of. Press the values! Make your darks darker and that'll help make your lighter values pop.
Most likely. Almost definitely.

Postby trevkuhl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 pm

trevkuhl

Good to see that your practicing the fundamentals first.
Anyways, rendering in the darks at first can seem weird, so my advice would be to go darker than you think you should with your values, and you will probably end up closer to what that value actually is. Squinting is also very beneficial when trying to distinguish values.

Also when you are rendering try to use more of your shoulder and arm, especially for putting in the broader initial values, and remember that your shoulder is a ball and socket joint that you can use to your advantage.

As for how to hold a pencil, i usually switch between holding it like a stick of charcoal, and holding it as a writing utensil. Regardless of how you hold it, you will get used to it that way and improve, but there are advantages to holding it different ways.

Postby PeterPepperPP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:12 pm

PeterPepperPP

Nice studies. I would suggest to you that you should use not only one kind of pencil. With only one you have a limited range of values. Because you pratice fundamentals, I think you should try to get as close as you can to the reality.
And I agree with Probably Singed don't think that the first try must be perfect, try different stuff and ways to achive things.
We all learn through fails. :ugeek:

Keep it up man ;)
I'm a 16 years old, german teenager who is interested in art an especially in conceptual Art.

Deviantartpage: www.tpp-peterpepper.deviantart.com/
Sketchbook: /viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8400

Own fashionlabel: http://www.facebook.com/the.pepper.production

Postby deerbard » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 pm

deerbard

Thanks guys!

trevkuhl: I try to use my arm, though this is new to me :) Still I wonder what moves do others do while shading? How far from the easy bottom-left to top-right can you go?

Next time I'll try with more values and more pencils (I used hb and 4b with the previous drawings, is that enough? I propably should just press it more?).

Postby Probably Singed » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:41 am

Probably Singed

I use just 2b and can get pretty solid values when I want them. If you have 4b and hb, I'd just say don't be afraid to do a little more with the 4b. A lot of your lines look like you're scared to put them there, which is a problem I'm having a ton of trouble getting rid of myself, but if you get past it and really lay down the values a little stronger I think you'll be a lot better off for your work.
Most likely. Almost definitely.

Postby deerbard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm

deerbard

I'm little bit frustrated today, this looks crappy. And I even won't have much time to practice until next Monday.
DSC_1075.jpg

Postby deerbard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:41 pm

deerbard

Fortunatelly today I had some time to draw. So I tried to sketch Andrew Probert using paused Sycra's interview as a reference.
DSC_1082.jpg

Also I started to learn proportions of human head. I have a question: Where do you take good references to learn that from? I found Andrew Loomis, would you name something else?
So here the middle one was my attempt to draw perfect propotions. Wouldn't call it success :) The rest is some faces from memory.
DSC_1077.jpg

Some time ago somebody around me said "sweet lord" and I saw in my imagination this candy king.
DSC_1078.jpg

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:15 am

Dream

Regarding pencils, i think you should only need three- maybe even just two- for general study. A main one in the B-3B range, a shading/darks in the 6-8B range, and possibly a lighter or detail type.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby deerbard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 pm

deerbard

Thx Dream. I'll by something darker than what I have.
I was supposed not to have time, but I catched a cold and I feel very bad so I stayed at home. Yesterday evening and today I drew this (the cup is from yerterday and today morning I realized how bad it's bottom is):
DSC_1083.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

Postby deerbard » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:43 am

deerbard

Wow. Five days of fever. I think it's gone now. I'm sooo weak. The day before yesterday, lying in bad, I doodled two faces. Terrible, childish drawings, yet I had so much fun with it.
DSC_1085.jpg
I read a book. There was few lines about an early Middle Ages knight.
DSC_1086.jpg
I just kept imagining the scene like this while I had high fever. Too hard to draw for me. Still I know sooo little about anathomy, perspective, drawing clothes, weapon, landscapes... Infinity of ignorance!

Postby deerbard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm

deerbard

I hungered for colours and so doodled this today. I used wacom bamboo which I'm not sure if I would buy now as I know how precious is a space for your arm to draw. It's so tiny. But it allows to draw on PC and that's good. And I still can't afford to buy anything bigger anyway.
fioletowy typ plemienny.jpg

Postby deerbard » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:42 am

deerbard

I need to draw more. I'm a lazy man. Need to find references to learn proportions of human body.
I found this in Hogarth's Drawing the Human head:
DSC_1097.jpg

And some doodles:
DSC_1098.jpg

Postby fleur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:37 pm

fleur

You have some nice sketches going on, and as for your skull drawings this download/file.php?id=13363
Would look better if you emphasised the light as well as the dark, you need a balance! But like others said, we all learn from mistakes and I think your new drawing is a definite step in the right direction.
Keep up the good work
17-F-England

Postby deerbard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 pm

deerbard

Thx fleur.
For today only really poor sketches. Seems like I'll have to draw thousands of them before I make any progress. It is so hard for me to draw a simple cup and even harder to shade it.
DSC_1120.jpg

DSC_1121.jpg

Postby deerbard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:29 pm

deerbard

Trying to copy more from "Drawin the Human head"
DSC_1132.jpg

And getting confused when trying to find out how to paint clouds
clouds.jpg

Postby Choctoppi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Choctoppi

I'm seeing a lot of improvement with your values, good job! If you need help drawing/painting clouds, i recommend Yuumei(on deviantart)'s cloud drawing tutorial. As far as using a tiny tablet, i think you should be alright. Personally, I have a medium size tablet and a small tablet, but when I'm drawing, the size of the tablets don't really effect me at all. But at the same time, that might just be me.

In any case, keep up the good work!

Postby deerbard » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 am

deerbard

Thx Choctoppi! Really nice tutorial :)
But improvement? I don't really see or feel it. I only feel that I draw so rarely and my goal is to make an everyday drawing habit.
Yesterday I sketched some faces from Andrew Loomis's book.
DSC_1134.jpg

And also poses from random references
DSC_1136.jpg

I also finally bought 8b pencil and I must say, that drawing with that tool is a plesure. I only doodled with it mindlessly.
DSC_1137.jpg

Postby deerbard » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 am

deerbard

Just two more quick skull sketches. Just trying to get the shape faster.
DSC_1139.jpg

DSC_1140.jpg

Postby Kuronuma » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:57 am

Kuronuma

Ooo the second skull is epic :)
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby Fawkes » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Fawkes

Your "sweet lord" sketch is great ^^

Next

Return to Sketchbook