Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby RAC00NIE » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm

RAC00NIE

Subject title: RAC00NIE's sketches and stuff (probably some NSFW)

Koźlik - Thanks! The water effect was quite hard to pull off.
behxmot - Thank you! Well, it was the last of the four pieces, so I had the most experience.
everfae - Thanks! It took me about 25 hours. It was on A4 format paper, so it wasn't that big.
Weaver - Thank you! It's the first time I painted water and it looked like water. I'm not quite sure how I pulled that off :)
So today I drew some hands in pen. Trying to memorize how they look. Not going for realism, just general shapes :)
P70816-233738.jpg

Postby Pixogon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 am

Pixogon

I really like the form and power in the vast majority of those hands o' yours! (and bro your general knowledge of color and form is gosh darn amazing in your paintings).

Postby Weaver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 am

Weaver

Nice hand drawings! Keep doing those reps! Your hands looks elegant

Postby Steeliebob » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Steeliebob

ya, I agree with the others, these are looking good. pages like those are excellent practice because hands are a pain.

Postby RAC00NIE » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:49 pm

RAC00NIE

Pixogon - Thanks!
Weaver - Thank you!
Steeliebob - Thanks! Yeah, hands are hard. My goal is to be able to draw them from memory :)
So here's the same hands as yesterday plus some more :P
P70817-234044.jpg

Postby Xiphor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Xiphor

Awesome hand studies man! Keep it up :D

Postby behxmot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

behxmot

damn, these are cool D:
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Postby HopeMetal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm

HopeMetal

That sure is a lot of hands.

Postby Fergato » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Fergato

Beautiful hand studies.
How much time do you put on each one?... on each hand I mean.
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

Postby RAC00NIE » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:29 pm

RAC00NIE

Xiphor - Thanks! I'll try :)
behxmot - Thank you :)
HopeMetal - Well, it's still not enough ;)
Fergato - Thank you! I guess each had took 2-3 minutes :)
So today I was cleaning my room and found some old drawings that I would like to share. This one here is glass studies from life on black A3 paper, sone with a white pencil. I did it in art school 2-3 years ago (I assume). Give me your opinion about these please :)
P70818-172749.jpg

Postby Moe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Moe

Your painting ability is really high, what medium where you using?
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Postby RAC00NIE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:28 pm

RAC00NIE

Moe - Thanks! I used gouache :)

Postby behxmot » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:03 pm

behxmot

have you constructed these from geometric forms? kinda like the pic under spoiler? (not mine) or some other method?
Spoiler: show
sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92788
instagram: instagram.com/behxmot/
twitter: twitter.com/behxmot
deviantart: behxmot.deviantart.com/

long ded :: abolish wage labor

Postby RAC00NIE » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm

RAC00NIE

behxmot wrote:have you constructed these from geometric forms? kinda like the pic under spoiler? (not mine) or some other method?
Spoiler: show

I don't remember it was so long ago. But maybe I did for the simplest forms like spheres etc...

Today I tried a drawabox exercise. It turned out... okay. Tell me what you think about it :)
P70820-224312.jpg
Last edited by RAC00NIE on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby everfae » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 pm

everfae

Damn those hands are killer!! Whats your process with then?
and you use gouache? How long did it take you to get that skilled? And how did you start off with gouache? I've just started with gouache having little to know painting experience and I'm unsure of where to start and how to build those skills :)
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby RAC00NIE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm

RAC00NIE

everfae wrote:Damn those hands are killer!! Whats your process with then?
and you use gouache? How long did it take you to get that skilled? And how did you start off with gouache? I've just started with gouache having little to know painting experience and I'm unsure of where to start and how to build those skills :)

Thanks! I drew these hands with pen, it took about 1-2 minutes each. I drew them with no pencil guidelines- I just drew them just with pen. I used a reference pack you can find here:https://www.deviantart.com/art/50-Hand-Challenge-Pack-244-Hand-References-348847368
And as for the painting with gouache I painted with gouache for about 2 years (I was about 9 years old). I painted mostly still lifes. Then I stopped and went over to watercolor, acrylics and digital painting. I painted still lifes and imaginary stuff + stuff from photos.I did that for 5 years. I think you don't necessarily need to paint with gouache to get better at painting with gouache- I think that painting with any medium gets you better at painting with gouache (I did these pieces after a 5 year break from gouache (my previous gouache works looked horrible, I'm sure :D)). I think that I got better at gouache after painting a bit with different mediums from reference (photos or life). I think that the best way to start is to paint still lifes with gouache (or even practice values with pencil).
Well, just don't worry if your stuff looks bad at the start, I'm sure you'll get better quickly if you practice often (I didn't practice that often and look where I'm now :D). Good luck on your artistic journey, everfae!

Postby everfae » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 pm

everfae

RAC00NIE wrote:
everfae wrote:Damn those hands are killer!! Whats your process with then?

Thanks! I drew these hands with pen, it took about 1-2 minutes each. I drew them with no pencil guidelines- I just drew them just with pen. I used a reference pack you can find here:https://www.deviantart.com/art/50-Hand-Challenge-Pack-244-Hand-References-348847368
And as for the painting with gouache I painted with gouache for about 2 years (I was about 9 years old). I painted mostly still lifes. Then I stopped and went over to watercolor, acrylics and digital painting. I painted still lifes and imaginary stuff + stuff from photos.I did that for 5 years. I think you don't necessarily need to paint with gouache to get better at painting with gouache- I think that painting with any medium gets you better at painting with gouache (I did these pieces after a 5 year break from gouache (my previous gouache works looked horrible, I'm sure :D)). I think that I got better at gouache after painting a bit with different mediums from reference (photos or life). I think that the best way to start is to paint still lifes with gouache (or even practice values with pencil).
Well, just don't worry if your stuff looks bad at the start, I'm sure you'll get better quickly if you practice often (I didn't practice that often and look where I'm now :D). Good luck on your artistic journey, everfae!

Straight with pen!! No sketches! Wow, even if i went straight in with men it'll be a scribbly mess. I admire your confidence to go straight in like that :)

That sounds like a really good range of practice, no wonder you do so well. I find drawing / painting still lifes mega boring, but I'll have a go sometime it could only be beneficial. Thank you!
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby geryes » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 am

geryes

Those hand studies look slick. Kind of reminds me of Aeon flux.
I too mainly draw girls. Sketchbook

Postby RAC00NIE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:45 pm

RAC00NIE

geryes - Thanks! I don't know what's Aeon flux though :?

So I've been working on the Einstein portrait. I'm slow... I probably procrastinate too much :D
P70822-203410.jpg

Postby Idan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Idan

Now the moustache!
I'm envious of your environmental work, all these pieces look very solid. You seem to have a lot of patience for the details.
sketchbook
I believe in reciprocity in regards to constructive criticism in sketchbooks.
(In other words, tell me what you think about mine and I will most likely visit yours and do the same)

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook