Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby masaothedog » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:31 pm

masaothedog

Subject title: Masao's Sketchbook

So this is where I am right now. I want to be a comics artist, and I've tried to include a little bit of every aspect of my recent stuff.

For about two months, I've been doing gestures every day, and now I'm trying to also do regular value and head studies.
5februarywarmups.jpg
6februarywarmups.jpg
headpractice.jpg
20Februarygestures.jpg
pirripcharactersketchcoloured.jpg

Postby Choctoppi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 am

Choctoppi

Seems that you've been working with a lot of different body types and mediums. I'm pretty jealous that you have so much motivation to study everyday. Keep up the good work!

Postby SamBuggy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:49 pm

SamBuggy

I too am jealous haha. I always tell myself to practice but always end up procrastinating xD.

Postby masaothedog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 pm

masaothedog

Choctoppi wrote:Seems that you've been working with a lot of different body types and mediums. I'm pretty jealous that you have so much motivation to study everyday. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! I don't honestly know if I'd call it motivation, though. There are many days where I just have to make myself do it. It's becoming more of a habit than anything else, and it took me a long time to get myself into that habit.

Postby masaothedog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:24 pm

masaothedog

Does anyone else who started with traditional stuff have this problem? I can't seem to get anywhere near the same control when it comes to drawing digitally as I can traditionally. It's worse with drawing than with colouring or painting. I'm guessing the only way to make it better is to force myself to get regular practice with digital drawing. I can't afford an on-screen tablet at the moment.

Embarrassingly bad case in point with a traditionally drawn example at my current skill level for comparison.
19Februarysketches.png
21februaryfaces.jpg

Postby Yveo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Yveo

Yeah, I think everybody has this problem when starting digitally :)
All you can do really is just practicing a few hours everyday, then you'll have no more problems in a week or two (at least that's how it worked for me :) )
And you're sketchbook is starting nice! I'd like to see more than just humans though, so if you get to draw something else post it here :b
Have fun c:

Postby masaothedog » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:31 am

masaothedog

Yeah, I guess that's all there is to it. Just putting the effort into doing it. I'll have to do a bit of that today. And now that you mention it, I haven't posted anything but people, have I?

Well, here are today's gestures along with some recent environmental stuff. I need to do more still lifes too, though. I'm having a sort of off day today. Can't make myself work on my comic pages for anything.
22februarygestures.jpg
comicpreviewfebruary22.jpg
16januaryspeedpaint.png
speedpaint.jpg

Postby masaothedog » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:53 am

masaothedog

Lately I just haven't been scanning my gestures unless there's something interesting about them. But I did kind of a value study portrait from one of Vishstudio's (on deviantArt) photos with gouache. I've never worked with gouache before, so it was pretty challenging. Still trying to balance out studies with imagined work, so here's a crappy watercolour as well.
Dewihoe.jpg
1MarchVishstudio.jpg

Postby Kuronuma » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:19 am

Kuronuma

really like your sketches :) Overall very nice sketchbook!
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby welume » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:41 pm

welume

Your sketches are great! ;)

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:42 pm

ErnieTheMighty

Spoiler: show

Woooaaah!!! Awesome!!!

Postby masaothedog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 am

masaothedog

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone!

So, my friend asked me to help design a character. They're working on a story where there are these people with godlike abilities, and they need several of them, so I decided to help. They're supposed to be kind of quirky, interesting characters. Anyway, this is a really early sketch that I was just playing around with to flesh out ideas. I wanted to give her an emphasis on water abilities, but I want to push it more outside the box, and I'm not sure how to do that. So yeah, any advice? (Any general critique is welcome too!)
Witchdesignjpeg.jpg

Postby masaothedog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:20 pm

masaothedog

So yesterday's gestures were bears! I tried to do some imagined bears after drawing referenced ones. Trying to make a creature that is mostly like a bear but a little different. Also, there's a dog there, too. Oh, and a sketch I did for an illustration.
3marchbear2.jpg
3marchbear.jpg
dewicarenexcentriquewip.jpg

Postby andre » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 pm

andre

Love those bear gestures, i think your drawing will get alot from the way you gesture your bears, i am trying myself, to put more gesture into my drawings, so i will take that from your bears, then seem alive and fun! keep up the good work!
My sketchbook (with gifs- midly NSFW) : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9409

Postby Choctoppi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:34 am

Choctoppi

I find myself really loving those bear sketches too... the loose lines give a nice gesturey feel.

Postby masaothedog » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:56 pm

masaothedog

Wasn't feeling well for a few days, but I did a crappy speedpaint today. I really hate how it came out, but I guess at least that means I'm working on areas (digital drawing, face construction, and values) where I need a lot of improvement.
CathleenTaraWhiti1hour.png

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 pm

ErnieTheMighty

MANBOOBS yES

Postby masaothedog » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:21 pm

masaothedog

Yeah his jumper made him look like he had a little boobageXD. Still hate how it turned out.

This is two hours into that sketch. I'm trying to work on it an hour at a time so I can balance work with my comic and studies now that I'm feeling better.
dewicarenexcentriquewip.png

Postby SlimRock » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm

SlimRock

nyce line work. keep practicing. dont give up.

Postby masaothedog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm

masaothedog

Just a sketch I did, playing around with inking style.
dewicareninksketch.jpg

Postby masaothedog » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:46 am

masaothedog

Warmup sketches from yesterday. I'm still trying to apply what I'm learning from doing gestures to imagined stuff. Also yay, Sailor Moon.
13marchsailorsenshi.jpg

Postby Kuronuma » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 am

Kuronuma

I really love the best one, I think it's the best! :)
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby masaothedog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 am

masaothedog

Thanks Kuronuma!

Since I live in Japan, I never know what a good time to post is:/. It's morning for me, so here's some of the stuff I worked on yesterday. I want to give a preview of my comic since it's taking up most of my drawing time lately, and I did a Gyakuten Saiban fanart sketch. I'm trying to do a little more fanart lately to try to add more influences to my style an shape it.
comicswip.jpg
gyakutensaiban.jpg

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 am

Dream

masaothedog wrote:Thanks Kuronuma!

Since I live in Japan, I never know what a good time to post is:/. It's morning for me, so here's some of the stuff I worked on yesterday. I want to give a preview of my comic since it's taking up most of my drawing time lately, and I did a Gyakuten Saiban fanart sketch. I'm trying to do a little more fanart lately to try to add more influences to my style an shape it.

No need to worry about the time of posting. Since it's a forum it doesn't really make a difference for the threads at what time something get posted, and in fact one of the great things about forums is that you can post something and leave it there for other people to check at various times and reply to. Interesting to hear you live in Japan by the way, as i have some interest/admiration for the country and it's culture.

That said, looking at your general stuff, i think you have a pretty good grasp of linework and shapes (how the outline of the various forms feel to the eye and what they add to the general image), but certain things like the proportion and lighting could use some improvement. Do you also draw more traditional/3D stuff on the side? Because i feel some of the characters don't have a very solid sense of three-dimensionality to them.

Hope some of this feedback helps, if only a litte.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby masaothedog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:54 pm

masaothedog

Thanks for the critique! I really appreciate it. Stuff looking flat is something I struggle with a lot. I have hoped doing a lot of gestures would help it, but it's still something I struggle with. What other kinds of studies could I do to deal with that problem head on? Any suggestions would be great!
SwedenFinland.jpg

Next

Return to Sketchbook