Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Archon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Archon

Subject title: Fleur's sketchbook

Fleur, you`re getting better very fast!
I don`t know how much you draw a day but at the age of 15 if you put in more hours than you usually do you`ll skyrocket =D
Upload your stuff more regurarly and thanks for joining the arena challenge =D

Postby fleur » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:28 pm

fleur

Archon wrote:Fleur, you`re getting better very fast!
I don`t know how much you draw a day but at the age of 15 if you put in more hours than you usually do you`ll skyrocket =D
Upload your stuff more regurarly and thanks for joining the arena challenge =D

That's such a relief to hear! Hahaha
At the moment I have exams (GCSE's) so I've not been able to draw much. Hopefully when they're over, in a couple of months time, I'll be able to draw much more; especially as I'll have 12 weeks or so without work :)
The arena was fun, gave me ideas :) hope to contribute more hopefully
21-F-England

Postby AlphaPetra » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:34 pm

AlphaPetra

I agree with Archon ! Continue the hard work, and you're doing the good exercises to get better at painting :)
The cast shadow of the cube is right (I think)

To become better at drawing, do life drawing! a lot of life-drawing, and personal sketches (not painting), whether they're characters, buildings, vehicules ...
Sketch sketch sketch and you'll become really good if you start this early :)

Have fun and god luck!

Postby fleur » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:44 pm

fleur

AlphaPetra wrote:I agree with Archon ! Continue the hard work, and you're doing the good exercises to get better at painting :)
The cast shadow of the cube is right (I think)

To become better at drawing, do life drawing! a lot of life-drawing, and personal sketches (not painting), whether they're characters, buildings, vehicules ...
Sketch sketch sketch and you'll become really good if you start this early :)

Have fun and god luck!

Thanks I'll definitely take your advice. At the minute it's time I need more than anything so in a couple of months I'll be practicing alot I hope :)
21-F-England

Postby LuisEC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 pm

LuisEC

Great improvements on the girl with the wings! It's a really great thing just when you know what needs to be fixed even if you don't know how to fix it, if that makes any sense. You're doing lots of good things that will help you improve :)

Postby fleur » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 pm

fleur

LuisEC wrote:Great improvements on the girl with the wings! It's a really great thing just when you know what needs to be fixed even if you don't know how to fix it, if that makes any sense. You're doing lots of good things that will help you improve :)

Yes, that makes perfect sense hahaha! It's thanks to the guys who gave the critique really. So in future I know to boost the values, and then the anatomy will come with more practice I suppose. Thanks for the support!
21-F-England

Postby JayJapanB » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 am

JayJapanB

Lovely work Fleur!
Keep up the study. You are doing great!

Postby fleur » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 am

fleur

JayJapanB wrote:Lovely work Fleur!
Keep up the study. You are doing great!

Thanks!
21-F-England

Postby fleur » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:57 pm

fleur

Was attempting to do some texture studies.. I like how the first one came out but it doesn't look like leather in my opinion and the metal.. bleh I can't.
Anybody got any pointers for me?
texturesstart.jpg
21-F-England

Postby Kuronuma » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Kuronuma

The leather looks real good.. not so sure about the metal. I'm no expert but it seems very.. unrealistic. (sorry am of no more help :( )
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

Postby fleur » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:09 pm

fleur

Kuronuma wrote:The leather looks real good.. not so sure about the metal. I'm no expert but it seems very.. unrealistic. (sorry am of no more help :( )

I completely agree with you.. I have no idea how to do metal; it just seems to be so reflective and has too much going on :(
I tried to use this as a ref and change it to the light source http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Yy-F8R_Dsvo/T ... Ball+1.jpg
But I'm a bit lost to be honest, and it's no problem :P
21-F-England

Postby Archon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:51 pm

Archon

fleur, it`s looking great! =D The leather might have its reflection a bit too bright but otherwise it`s great,

I completely agree with you.. I have no idea how to do metal; it just seems to be so reflective and has too much going on :(
I tried to use this as a ref and change it to the light source http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Yy-F8R_Dsvo/T ... Ball+1.jpg
But I'm a bit lost to be honest, and it's no problem :P

It won`t happen perfectly from the first time you know =D The ref you used is a bit ... uhh... not helpful at all. Try using something better, like Knight armour http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _51580.jpg , and you could totally look at professional artist`s drawings cuz they nail down the most important aspects of everything and make them obvious to see, whereas with photos it is a bit hard to see stuff;

Postby Fedodika » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:31 am

Fedodika

oh nooo, another 15 year old who's better than me :O

NO REALLY! just keep it up, you'll be super in no time!

As for metal, remember there are a lot of different kinds of metal; there's like iron, plating, chrome, steel, adamant, rune, drag- just kidding ;)

one trick i like, is to try to paint spoons or forks on your desk and examine how the light is reflecting on them, helps alot with metal! also, metal is high contrast so the values will spread harshly over the surface.

Your attempt at painting metal looks like a ball on a pool table, and reflected light isn't that powerful in shadowed areas.

here's a cheap trick; take the dodge tool and turn opacity down to 10% then lightly glaze over a small area. then take the smudge tool and a texture brush and just keep hitting alt until it looks good. as my philosophy goes, "keep messing with it till it looks good." of course be looking at reference when you do this. it's probably easier to paint super shiny things than like paneled cars or vehicles and such at first. so yea, chrome and forks and knives and such will be a good bet for metal.

You're lucky to find all this stuff at your age ;)

Postby fleur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:36 pm

fleur

@Archon - I know inside that you're right, but it's still frustrating to have no idea where you're going hahaha, thanks for posting that ref though looks much better than what I got... the one which I had didn't even look like metal now I look at it. I'm considering doing a metal study at some point after this; it's definitely pinpointed a weakness

@Fedodika - do you play runescape? ahhaha :D I do, you may have noticed from my first painting. But anyways, you're far far too modest, I'm nothing special, your work is great!
Also I don't use photoshop; I used to but when I switched computers, my computer wouldn't run it for some reason so I'm using paint tool sai. But the spoon on the table thing is a good idea! I may do that; it's so much more difficult, I find, drawing something from life than from a photo which deems all this pointless I suppose. Why draw if you can't draw from life? ahahha

So after taking both of your advices I tried to fix it up, using that ref and I also saw someone else's take on the exercise as well. So mine looks really copied now :( I only copied the intersecting lines thing though hahaha
Also I have no texture brushes or anything in sai so I tried to draw some scratches on the surface.. which look interesting :P I don't think it's too bad. Better than before, certainly.
Ps: I lowered the highlight on the leather, from your suggestion Archon
Tell me what you think!
texturesstart.jpg
21-F-England

Postby Fedodika » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Fedodika

oh yea, runescape was uhh, a bigg portion of my life; was insanely addicted to that game from age 8 to probably uhh, 16 or 17? i was playing that game on a 56k modem and got to like level 105 in all those years. all my friends had faster internet so they passed me in like a year, anyways i'm digressing :?

you did a fantastic job on that sphere!

yea texture brushes make life easier, but maybe it's good if you just practice with basic brushes for now and keep learning what you can; whatever your settings are right now, stick with it, you've got a good grasp on edges. also, try to take a soft brush or a low opacity hard brush and just gently run it along the edge of the ball maybe around the shadow. when your eyes look at something, they naturally blur out a bit especially where the eye tends to NOT look at, which would be the shadow. Our eyes are drawn to light, especially super bright, but even at the peak highlights our eyes kinda blur; sorry if that's confusing :?

don't worry about copying, it's always good to copy as long as you're learning and these little exercises aren't things that people get noticed for their originality of doing them haha. and i appreciate the compliment on my stuff; i will be back before long with updates :)

Also, i like your runescape character she has a cool sword (is a scimmy?), i bet it's changed so much since i last played haha
Last edited by Fedodika on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PeterPepperPP » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:46 pm

PeterPepperPP

Nice studies, look already better than the first tries.

Little suggestion to you: The metal one doesn't really look as metal I think. Maybe you should use stronger and bigger highlights and seperate the lights form the shadows(darker reflections) a little bit more).
A problem that you have is that you think about light and shadow and not really much about refelctions. Most matelish materials are very glossy (either some are more dull then others) you will see more from the enviorment in which the object is placed than the actual light to shadow gradient of the sphere or cylinder.
I don't know it this helps you but a did a little metal study on my own to visualize what I mean. (used the reference that Archon posted):

Spoiler: show
Material study_02.jpg
I'm a 16 years old, german teenager who is interested in art an especially in conceptual Art.

Deviantartpage: www.tpp-peterpepper.deviantart.com/
Sketchbook: /viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8400

Own fashionlabel: http://www.facebook.com/the.pepper.production

Postby alnoth » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:53 pm

alnoth

imo, you will never get a true metal look without reflecting something that is actually around the metal ball in a scene... if you have a metal ball standing in the middle of nothing, it will not look like metal ever i think.

just enter "chrome ball" or "gold ball" or "steel ball" into google images... at the very least, the lightsource will reflect almost perfectly - the shape of a window, a lamp, they skyline, etc..

Postby fleur » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:38 pm

fleur

@Fedodika - yeah I've been playing since I was 8-ish so it's been a big thing for me too. The chara is holding and armadyl godsword btw :) and also ALOT has changed in the past couple of years. Like the combat system (max is lvl 200 now), new skills, new layouts, new graphics. You probably wouldnt recognise it :s
Yeah that makes sense! The blurring thing, I'll bear that in mind when I do stuff like this again.

@Peterpepperpp - Yeah, I agree with the reflectiveness thing. I think that's why I'm having such a hard time about it - I'm approaching it as if it's something you can just draw when actually it's going to be difficult when there's nothing to reflect in it... Like I said before, might do some proper metal studies or draw a spoon or something :P

@Alnoth - Yeah, like I said above, think that's why I'm having such a hard time with it.

Thanks for the constructive advice guys :)
21-F-England

Postby fleur » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:11 pm

fleur

Just sketching to keep myself ticking over. Waiting till I have time to do a proper study.
wip.jpg
21-F-England

Postby Archon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 am

Archon

Hey, looking good, I love your material studies, fleur! And the metal is looking good, I think that if this render is scattered across an armour of a knight and you make the reflections where they should be according to the lightsource, it would be super evident that it`s metal! Try to render different forms as well some time =D

About the face -
It`s really helpful to look at portraits and do them, but don`t try to copy what you see, try to understand it 3 dimensionally and re-create it on the paper; It`s all about right perspective and proportions; But i can`t draw faces; So I shouldn`t be the one to talk about this :D

Postby fleur » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:05 pm

fleur

@Archon - Thanks a bunch :) And by different forms do you mean things other than spheres?
Also the face thing - its just a little something to fill my time :P I know what you're saying though. I'll continue the material study at the weekend when I have more time.
21-F-England

Postby fleur » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 pm

fleur

Coloured.
Pick as you please :P
PS. I didn't use the sphere because I messed with the hues too much AND it's not exactly from the reference, I mostly improvised because I was doing it for fun rather than as a study
face.jpg
21-F-England

Postby Archon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:17 am

Archon

Fleur. Awesome. Your initial sketch didn`t look 3 dimensional enough but the render is a totaaaally different story!
Girl, if you keep doing these studies like this, as you`re 15 now, you`re going to be amazing by the time you get to go to university and stuff, just keep goingg!
What I`d still advise you is to try and give such surfaces like skin when you render a more *hard* look, like, not so soft, because usually when you make a soft gradient you get lost as of where the actual break of the form is, but when you go with hard and defined strokes that rapidly change in saturation and hue you get a much more profound understanding of depth and form =]

Postby fleur » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 am

fleur

@Archon - Thanks for the continued support; it's really helpful!
I tried to take your advice on the 3d forms and stuff rather than just copy it.
Thanks for the tip, I was trying to not make it *too* soft, esp around the eyebrows and stuff because I knew where the shadows were but everywhere else I guess I was slightly less brave :/ I'll bear that in mind next time I do something like this :P
21-F-England

Postby fleur » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 pm

fleur

WIP for the arena.
Opinions and critique please before I add details :)
knights.jpg
21-F-England

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook