Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby khart » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:54 pm

khart

Subject title: Khart's Sketchbook!

Hey everyone c:
I've been lurking around this place for a little while now and this community has really started to grow on me ehehe.

A little about myself before I start shoving eye-blinding art into yo' faces ;;
I'm a 20 y/o semi-professional artist working in the game industry
(but i suck orz).
though I work in this industry, it's not anything speshul since I actually don't.. draw? yet, i suppose. I'm an intern 2D animator!
i'm extremely heavily influenced by eastern style art. never was huge into comics (cos im poor lol) or cartoons.
oh and i'm a guy living in the land of the snow,
Canadiaaaa~ (Canada orz)

my dream is to develop and grow into someone who can produce amazing illustrations and designs, much like my inspirations (which include but not limited to Loundraw, Weee, Feng Zhu, LM7, etc.).

i also dream of becoming a kawaii loli that draws cute things and is very cute and stuff. jkjk ;;

My earliest stages of drawing was inspired by a friend in my 8th grade. I used to copy a webcomic series "Mega Tokyo", though it was very minimal (I just liked watching her draw)
Most (if not all) of my drawings in my high school years were comprised of overly-sized anime eyes on the corners of my homework sheets orz||

I continued my education past high school and was accepted into a Video Game Design and Development program! I entered as a kid wanting to program cool shizzz
but ended up doing art wtf?
During my time in this program, I had switched into the arts stream/pipeline of Video Game Design/Development, mainly because it seemed so much more fun to create things!
I had also fallen in love with creating music (contributed by the fact that I also played piano my whole life).

It was also this time that I had fallen into a deep
deep.. deeeeeeeep depression which caused me to not give any fudges about anything I was doing in life anymore
I ended up failing a whole term, stopped caring about anything and just wanted to play games forever!
(League of Legends wootwoot)
I finished the program though with barely passing marks and no skills acquired, but managed to land an internship with a small game company (i'm still surprised i got it).

During my last few months & a few after graduating, I also worked as a free-lance graphic designer for many twitch.tv league of legends streams (most recognizable ones are Trick2G and Mylixia).
It was a great experience, but I was constantly being scammed of work and not being paid for the commissions (Trick2G used all my work without giving a single dollar). This drove me literally insane so I stopped everything.

After I had finished the college program, I was still only 19
(late birthday eeeee ;;) so i went back to a privatized high school in order to upgrade my education and return to the computer science world.
I did this for 5 months before stumbling upon the unsettling news that i would never be accepted into any university
sobsobsobiwannadie.
this happened right after new years and had simultaneously destroyed my life and "forced" me to continue being an artist (I say forced because I had no other path to take at this moment in time)
Though it was forced, it was not a bad thing! it was that moment that i got my shit together and did something good for myself. I found new joy in creating, experimenting and learning about art.

But, here I am today, kind of still trying to move past this depressive state of mine and start drawing cyoot annie may gurls and other illustrations to start breaking into this industry of design(?)
i'm soooo sorry for this wall of text!! i didn't realize and started just typing and ranting ehehe ;;

TL;DR my life is average, heres my sketchbook stuff! all my stuff is digital, i don't use any of my actual sketchbooks orzz ;; i have so many /sigh
btw i'm down to make new friends and talk about stuff c: i have skypeeeeeee~ (send me a message n stuff for the thingy to add the thingy)

so without further ado, please cover your eyes and scroll down really quickly!! ehehe .///////.
P.S. i'm sorry in advance if the images are too big!!
P.S.S. nothing is in any particular order. everything is jumbled cause i'm a little sh-- i mean disorganized!

[2D game assets]
Spoiler: show
Assets used in the background of an unpublished game

Background drop

Modular level designs (you can move all the little objects and everything is seemlessly repeatable!

User interface (left 3 are for shield, health and score; right of that is character portrait followed by text box; further right is weapon portrait and ammunition)

Some art I did for a quick project

[Conceptual]

[Graphic Design]
(The time of my posting, these streamers have stopped using most of my art as I no longer support them/give my consent)
Logo in the middle, information headers around it

Print-ready business cards (in CMYK format)

Offline static image!

[January 2014]
(I mainly studied and practised with the mindset of I NEED TO FINISH A COMPLETE PIECE this month)
(This was also the first month I started practising seriously!!)

[Febuary 2014]
(I'm uploading stuff I did till the time of this post (the 7th) and will continue to upload with posts (if i'm not being a lazy shit, i'll update main post as i go along on this journey))
(This part will be by date and stuff)

[Animation Stuff!!! WOOT]
February Running Animation
You can view the Progress .gifs here! http://imgur.com/a/gbPfN

Heres to getting better at this art thing!!
Thank you for stopping by and viewing!
Last edited by khart on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Visit my stuff!

Sketchbook : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9181 ! c:
Tweetarrrr : https://twitter.com/khartists
deviantART : http://khartists.deviantart.com/

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby AlphaPetra » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:02 pm

AlphaPetra

Hello hello !

Very nice presentation, easy to read, read it all :)

I think that this http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2 ... 75g6rs.png is definitely your stongest work, I like it a lot !
I painted over it and made a few changes :

fijazo.JPG

- I think she wasn't very balanced, and falling on the left of the image so I adjusted that a bit
- I added a secondary light on the right, it brightens the image and makes it warmer !
- your first light was coming from behind her, so we should see the moon I think (I might be wrong on that), but that's still a nice element in your picture imo ^^ and as it's a diffuse light, her cast shadow shouldn't be that sharp. In fact it would be very very light, nearly invisible
- And i darkened the sky a bit, it wasn't feeling "deep" enough to me :)

I hope you'll stay away from depression, and never forget that practicing is the first thing you wanna do ; it's your number one priority if you want to be a successful professional artist.
Of course we can talk more if you want!
I believe you didn't write your country ^^'

Oh and welcome :) don't hesitate to come to me if you want to ask anything I'll do my best to answer. Seeya!
Last edited by AlphaPetra on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby khart » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:18 pm

khart

Hi Alpha!

Thank you for reading and leaving a reply, I really appreciate it!

The changes you made we're really nice, I do like them a lot and agree with them!
For the longest time, I stared at her and thought the same thing, "She's.. falling to her right..? Doesn't seem like she's okay". Ahaha ;;

The secondary light source was a really good idea, it really adds a lot to the feel of the picture that wasn't quite there before (I notice my colours were all very muted/desaturated..) and the new lighting pops out a lot more with the darkened sky really nicely!

In my original, I was thinking that the festival lights in the background would somehow be strong enough to cast such a powerful outline on her, derpderp~ this paintover really helps me understand better c: Thank you!

Oh and I probably should include my country/gender, ehehe.. ; ; will update the main post! thanks for pointing that out, i'm so forgetful when i rant walls of text.
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby TheRainbowRose » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:20 pm

TheRainbowRose

I think you show a lot of potential! Right now, I can see how much effort you are putting into your work. Keep at it, dude!
Professional procrastinator and over-blender
Check here for all my social media! http://morasanders.flavors.me/

Postby AlphaPetra » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:08 am

AlphaPetra

Sorry I love the mood of your illustration so I played around with it a bit :P it isn't maybe what you want, just my personal take, I hope you don't mind ^^
I added a bit of volume to the pink part of the bridge, some little fireworks that I think fit well the mood, some bounced light on your character (more saturated and a bit lighter color in the shadow ; it comes from the light that bounces on the floor and go to the character), reflection of the sky in the water, removed the hard edged shadows. I hope this can help you, it's just me thinking about how it would actually really work.

I'm looking forward to see your next illustration :)

edit : actually looking at it now, I think the fireworks are out of place, my bad
fijazo.JPG

Postby khart » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 am

khart

Alphaa~ \o\ thank you for showing so much interest in this piece! it makes me really happy ; u;

I had originally planned to add fireworks actually! but i didn't know how to draw fireworks ehehe and i didnt want to ruin the piece with my shitty skillzz so i went with light bubbles from the festival!
omgosh the water reflection really completes this piece. i can't believe i missed such an important thing <sobsob>
I think the fireworks would have worked if they weren't so bright o: but it might also be that there's already too many lights in one piece already ;; maybe..

@Rainbow : Thank you! I happen to have a lot
(and by a lot, i mean that i'm practically a hobo/NEET) of free time on my hands these days so i try to pour it all into practice. I must get better quickly!
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby Yveo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:02 am

Yveo

You got really cool pictures and designs here, I like a lot of it :D especially the modular level designs and user interface :) probably because I wanted to make some minor games a while back, too, but never got further than writing the engine in flash pro :D I guess mainly because I was just starting to get into the digital medium and blah blah, not my thread^^

So you want to become a game designer? (or in general a designer :) ) Do you know what exactly you want to focus on? Like Illustrator, concept artist or whatever :D would probably be good to know, to see what you should focus on improving :) And I, too, want to get into game design, and hope to one day become a concept artist, so I got lots of stuff to learn right now :D
But anyways, keep studying as hard as you do now, already from what I've seen so far the improvements are clearly visible

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:21 am

Ambiguity

Whaaat? A sketchbook banner? Why didn't I think of that? I think I'm going to have to rip you off sir ;).

Anyways, welcome to the forum :D. It's cool that you're drawing a lot, if you can keep that pace with clear practice goals you're sure to get good quickly. Look at me talking as if I've done it myself :lol:.

Postby khart » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 am

khart

@Ambiguity : ehehe i had originally put one for the end as well, kind of like a thank you/farewell thing, but it came out like absolute shit so i cut it sobsobsobsob but feel free to take the idea! c:

P.S. you have a really nice sketchbook and you definitely improved a lot since the first page of it! I hope we can be friends and stuff ;///;

@Yveo : Thank you! I worked hard on those level designs (but it was really under-appreciated u. u) i don't think our game even made it to that level so it wasn't used! sobosbcrysariver

yes! i really want to draw cool illustrations and character concepts and things of that nature. i have always loved the design aspect when it came to movies, games, or anything and the thought of being able to do something like that is what keeps me going honestly ; ;
right now, my game studio is looking to start a new project sometime within the coming months, i am really excited to take part in the pre-production phase. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cannot contain excitement!

@my sketchbook : todays sketching thingy isssssssss..

it's really lacking details but uhg how i dread backgrounds. how do people come up with these things?!?!?!
well anyways, it's not very polished but I do hope to continue this piece (if my attention span allows it), but mostly a perspective practice of the building behind her
hope you like it!
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby wartynewt » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:00 pm

wartynewt

I really liked this painting, the idea is pretty cool but the painting has some problems.

Your values in the back are darker than your values in the front, this isn't realistic, values tend to get lighter the further away something is. This creates a feeling of depth. Another thing, if things get further back the contrast decreases and the colours get less saturated. So in the foreground you can have some very light values next to very dark ones, this doesn't happen in the background. Now you've got very strong highlights on the rocks next to almost pure black in the back. This doesn't happen in real life because of atmospheric fog (which is the reason for the values getting lighter and the colours and contrast decreasing).
All of your colours also looked pretty desaturated, you can add some more saturated colours to make things a bit more interesting, but don't overdo this. Most of the saturated colours should be in the front.
I chose a direction for the lightsource because the lighting was looking a little bit flat in the original, i wanted to make things a bit more interesting with some cast shadows, this will make things look more interesting. Lighting is one of the most important things when doing landscapes, if i would've had more time i'd push the lighting even more.
Moving on to the little river, your water should have a reflection, a quick way to do this is just to copy your painting turn it opside down and change the opacity, then skew the perspective a bit so that the reflection is right. It also looks like the water is flowing pretty fast,then it should be a little bit lighter because of all the moving particles reflecting the light in every direction.
I also added some background mountains to help the composition (and it just looks better i think :p) and made the sky a bit lighter since it's basicly your lightsource.
Oh and a good trick to check your values is put a saturation layer above your other layers to make the painting black and white this way you can't see your colours only the values. Most of the time if your values are working, any colour will look good! Keep it up, I hope i helped a bit :).
practice1801_by_khuynhart-d75fx24.jpg

Postby AlphaPetra » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:24 pm

AlphaPetra

Hey no problem, it's cool to help motivated and nice people :)

I saw some problems in your last drawing that I could correct (kind of) quiclky, hope this helps and you learn from that ^^
Sorry I'm just writing directly on the canvas, I hope your can read my awful rush hand writing ^^'
btw I enjoy doing those as I like the initial drawing, they're very pleasant to the eye, and that's cool!
karthpo2.JPG

Postby khart » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:39 pm

khart

@Alpha : Thank you for the tips, it's extreeemmeeeely helpful! I mean it! I had originally thought this picture looked really weird (I only had one perspective point when, as pointed out, should have 2.. haha)

I really need to fix that haha ; ; need to practice a lot more backgrounds and perspective drawings

@Warty : That actually makes a lot more sense, thanks! I wasn't feeling very happy about that picture but I couldn't find out why haha i think i stressed too much on trying to create a pop-out focal point and missed the importantness of values! ; ;
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby AlphaPetra » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:14 pm

AlphaPetra

I'm glad this help :)
will you color it ? ^^

Postby khart » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:18 pm

khart

I may! I need to practice softer methods of coloring, and i'm thinking this piece will be a good one to experiment with. I will need to make adjustments that you've pointed out first and finish up the sky, then i will start coloring it c:
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby eev11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:04 am

eev11

I see a lot of issues with this one..

So I did a quick drawover for you. I'll explain what I've done, the first thing I noticed about your drawing is the strange torso, it's extremely elongated (or seems to be) and really narrow at the top. I see a lot of twisting motions in your drawing but that is a little too complicated. The arms are too short and the legs somewhat awkward. I fixed the legs, shoulders, proportions of her torso and arms. Her head was also a little too small and I thought her spine was twisting really strangely so I moved her torso even. If you put my version and your own next to each other you'll see what i mean. There is also a severe lack of contrast but i assumed that must have been intentional. I think the arm with the shield is still awkward even in my drawover but i wasn't sure how to fix that quickly.
I also painted a simple blue skeleton over my drawing to show you that the stance and proportions are accurate now.

Postby khart » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:30 am

khart

@eev11 : Hi! Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it c:

A few things, just for the record. When I drew this image, I knew that these proportions were extremely broken ahaha but I had not drawn a single anatomy study at this point (I still have very few under my belt ; ; ).
Your draw-over has made a lot of the weird proportions more clear though, I was really experimenting how long I could stretch the proportions but I'm clearly not very experienced in doing that stuff yet orzz||

I do believe I have gotta a lot better since this drawing though! I don't think I would have made this many of the same mistakes if I had to re-draw it, but then again, I might just be getting too full of myself ehehe..

Thank you for the comment and effort, really! I appreciate every bit of it.
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby eev11 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:50 am

eev11

If someone gives you advice, just take it.. ;) Nobody will go from shit to amazeballs in a few weeks you know, and nobody expects you to.
I just noticed this and I really wanted to show you how you could also do it. My advice is to try and NOT push proportions untill you've got normal proportions under control. I did this earlier as well but learned that if you want to exaggerate things you must first have a good understanding of it.
I think you're improving pretty fast but you're still making quite a few mistakes (as to be expected).

I'd say keep up the good work and don't try too much too fast, get the basics right.

Postby khart » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:58 am

khart

mhm, not saying I didn't absorb every last bit of information! I was really frustrated when I drew this because it looked weird is all ahaha ; ;
thanks again though \o
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby JayJapanB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:15 am

JayJapanB

khart wrote:mhm, not saying I didn't absorb every last bit of information! I was really frustrated when I drew this because it looked weird is all ahaha ; ;
thanks again though \o

Make no drawing sacred.
If you want to go real hardcore: Draw a bunch of pictures and delete the files/ don't save them.
Not great for feedback though it is an interesting exercise none the less.

Love that page of faces! ^-^

Postby khart » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:19 am

khart

Hey Jay! Haha i like do document all my works, just in case i want to refer to one of them later on down the line. it's good to show people later on or to go back and see how you progressed!

and thank you! ahaha that one was a fun day for me.
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby khart » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am

khart

wow ok so this day was a little intense. the pen was glued to my hand for 16 hours today.. ehehe (i took a few breaks so it wasn't as hazardous for my health).

I did some work for.. work which I would love to display here but sadly I can't because of an NDA agreement. ; ; gomin

BUT, I did start playing Bravely Default and looks like i found what i'm drawing for the next few days ahaha
My piece for today isssssssssss:

all the characters are so cute omfg i just want to kidnap them all and put them in my closet and stuff ; ; eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ahem.. anyways I hope you like this! It's Agnes (but it seriously doesn't even look like her ahaha orz im sorry Agnes ; ; )
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby AlphaPetra » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:44 pm

AlphaPetra

khart wrote:wow ok so this day was a little intense. the pen was glued to my hand for 16 hours today.. ehehe

Goooooood !! That's the spirit, when I read this I'm thinking "this guy is hungry and motivated, that's cool :)"
So ... here's a paint-over, with some explanations. I changed her face to make it more elegant/cute (at my taste ^^'), and I only know Bravely Default by name so sorry if it doesn't match the character

For what eev11 said, I strongly agree on the fact that working on the real human figure proportions/anatomy is an essential step, if you want to stylize your characters correctly ^^ you can do like me though : for your personal drawings, stylize them as you like, you'll appreciate them more like this ; but practice real human anatomy on a side-sketchbook too ^^
And I'm very influenced by oriental characters too :P I think my direction is more into Korean-type characters though, than anime, but still with some very"anime-ish" things here and there.

PS : I'm also giving you the paintover in bigger size because it's very small with the 2 paintings next to each other.

Hope this helps Kaaalsuu, keep practicing this hard !! :D
karthpo3.jpg
karthpo3full.jpg

Postby khart » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 am

khart

Alphaaaaa! As usual, thank you so much for the tips and help! I usually practice hours upon hours a day, but work is also art so yay extra practice! haha
I am going to start doing daily studies instead of pure creative art. i figured i'd need to learn more about how things work. my understanding of things are very weak like anatomy, light, and other small things like clothing and hair ; ;

I've always had so much trouble drawing hair ehehe ; n; your paint over gives me a really clear image of how hair should look like in reality! i never liked the hair i drew, it was really stiff any pointy but i didn't know how to fix it ahaha.
the spine thing is great! my friend said she couldn't tell if she was front faced or back faced, haha. the spine makes it a lot more clear that she has her back faced to us!

Thank you so much again Alpha! I really appreciate your help more than I can say c: your paint over is a lot better than my original. i must try even harder next time!
Visit my stuff!

sobsobwhynobbcode?

Postby Yveo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:21 am

Yveo

The last picture you posted is really cool :) It has a lot of suspension, because of how the energy of the hair and the calm facial expression and pose contradict each other

Oh, and when you do studies, I'd be interested in seeing them :D

Postby AlphaPetra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:24 am

AlphaPetra

You're welcome I'm very glad it helps :D

oh and yea I really like the characters you draw, I'm digging your universe, even though it's not technically perfect I think we got some common taste :D So I've been thinking about it, maybe do some kind of collab ? It's been a long time since a drew a character, I don't really know what character to paint, so you would get the basic idea, some bit of design, you choose her/his clothes (I'd prefer a girl actually :lol: ), the pose, and then I come to add and fix some things and improve it the best I can ... Like what you did and what I did for Agnes. What do you think ? ^^
I might even maybe add a quick background, i think it would be great for us 2, to make a nice piece :D
I'd take over when it is at the same level of finish than your Agnes, because I need to practice on rendering a lot :P

You decide Kalsu, if this concept interests you or not!

Next

Return to Sketchbook