Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Jenn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 am

Jenn

Subject title: Jenn's Sketches

Hello! So I'm really new at this but a little intro about myself, I'm seventeen and I really enjoy art, like many others on this site. As you can see from my sketches, I mostly, if not always, work in traditional paper and pencil. However, I would love love love love to experiment with more mediums, especially oil painting and digital (buuuuut since I'm pretty low on cash I can't really indulge in buying a decent tablet). I'm posting here hoping to get feedback and comments on how I can improve and as motivation to draw; currently art is a hobby for me and isn't something I'm willing to pursue, but like many things I do I love learning new things and trying out lots of stuff! I have taken a strong liking to art recently and have many goals and many many things I want to improve on, even if it's a slow process. Oh and another thing, recently I have also been drawing from my imagination quite a lot so I have noticed that most of my drawings look very stiff and generic, I've been thinking about starting studies and drawing from references in combination to improve~

Comments, tips, and feedback are much appreciated! ^^ Thankyouuuuu~~~~

IMG_1881.jpg
IMG_1883.jpg

Sooooo, I can't draw bodies yet :cry: I knowwww its bad, so its mainly gonna be faces, I really want to learn to draw bodies and make a completed piece, I will start soon~

Postby fetfreak » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:24 am

fetfreak

These are great.
I think you won't have much problems with the bodies if you learn how to break them down. Maybe you could start just by adding the necks first, then the shoulders, then the whole upper area and so on.

Just keep on drawing! :)

Postby PostBoxRomance » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:37 am

PostBoxRomance

Nice start on the faces!
The second one (to me) is reminiscent of Jennifer Healey's work!

On the subject of bodies, try and do loose "stick men" to get used to drawing S curves and the like. Then slowly move on to building up the forms with simple shapes. You might not get it quite right at first, but don't be disheartened. It's all practice :)

I'll be checking back on your sketchbook to see how you're doing!
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby Jenn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Jenn

fetfreak wrote:These are great.
I think you won't have much problems with the bodies if you learn how to break them down. Maybe you could start just by adding the necks first, then the shoulders, then the whole upper area and so on.

Just keep on drawing! :)

PostBoxRomance wrote:Nice start on the faces!
The second one (to me) is reminiscent of Jennifer Healey's work!

On the subject of bodies, try and do loose "stick men" to get used to drawing S curves and the like. Then slowly move on to building up the forms with simple shapes. You might not get it quite right at first, but don't be disheartened. It's all practice :)

I'll be checking back on your sketchbook to see how you're doing!

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely try them, I find that when I try to draw poses, they seem very stiff and non-dynamic. It's probably because I don't have much of a visual library and imagination when it comes to poses that are more interesting and seem more organic. That is something I can probably improve by doing studies and trying out gestures. I really like both of your tips about slowly building up the figure, breaking them down and simplifying them first. Thank you~~ :D

And whoaaa, I just checked out Jennifer Healey's works and they are amazing!! I wish I could draw like that *-* Another artist to add to my growing list of inspirations~
Feel free to check out some of my sketches; any tips and feedback are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

My Sketches: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9095

Postby Jenn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Jenn

IMG_1892.jpg
IMG_1369.jpg

Okay, these are a couple of oldish sketches where I tried to draw bodies. So far I only have the upper body (truthfully I know little about anatomy, I'm pretty much winging it as I go along), but I think I should expand and draw the body as a whole. I really don't want to get stuck on only the upper body, instead I want to build and explore the figure as a whole and then focus on certain areas? this makes sense right? I also feel like, on the first image, I should have drawn some fabric or the hint of cloth between the guys inner right arm and his torso?? feels like something's missing there. But oh lordy the haaannndddsss, the haaannndddsss!! >__>

A fair notice, my posting time will probably be pretty irregular because I only draw when I have time, which isn't much (well kinda, I draw as a procrastination technique for homework =.=). Also, sometimes my style may change, at least I notice a change, because I am posting both my more recent and older works because I like the idea of keeping a digital kinda copy or library of my works since they don't last very long due to smudging and me be being clumsy and losing or spilling food on them. And guysss thanks for any comments you guys add (if I get any though~), I really appreciate them and this art community, I have my works posted on one other place but I find that people here really take an interest in helping each other improve and actually give awesome advice. Thank yoooouuuuuu~

And bless anyone who actually takes the time to reads my whole boring post, I tend to talk and ramble a lot when it comes to art.
Feel free to check out some of my sketches; any tips and feedback are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

Postby Idan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Idan

Your art is very appealing to the eye, keep it up. If you want to learn how to draw full bodies, I'd recommend you to pick up some book (Hampton's, Loomis', Bridgman... they're all available as PDF, just google them) and study. In my opinion it's easier to improve when you first understand what's going on beneath our skin and then move on to photos/stylization.
sketchbook
I believe in reciprocity in regards to constructive criticism in sketchbooks.
(In other words, tell me what you think about mine and I will most likely visit yours and do the same)

Postby Jenn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:17 am

Jenn

Thanks for the recommendations! I've heard about Loomis and Bridgman quite a lot and I've flipped through a Bridgman book at my local bookstore but never really thoroughly studied them. Also, I just briefly looked through the book by Michael Hampton and it looks really good and informative. Hopefully they aren't too dry, but it's worth it for the knowledge you gain. Thank you again!

Postby Jenn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 am

Jenn

Quick question, I was wondering if anyone has tried Charles Bargue's drawing course?
Personally, I feel like this course does take a very academic approach to drawing, with all the emphasis on measurement and immense precision. But having done a few, I have noticed a great improvement in my eye's ability to draw much more accurately, looking at negative spaces and shading around the form to show dimension. By far, it really helped with my shading abilities, in not using a paper stump or a brush my pencil control has greatly improved!

Also, I have started studying and practising figure sketches, hopefully I can pump out a lot more before I'm swamped with tests and application essays. :?
IMG_1912.JPG

Postby wartynewt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:47 am

wartynewt

Nice drawings you got here! That last one is soooo smooth O.o . The faces you drew are very peaceful and as mentioned before very pleasing to look at. Great job!

Postby Jenn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Jenn

Thanks wartynewt! I think there's a lot of room for improvement and variation in facial expressions is a big one as well! Here are fairly recent drawings (done a week or two ago) where I tried using colour and added a kick to my normally boring sketchbook by incorporating cutouts in the paper. I'm hoping that one day my characters will grow from their stiff figures to being more expressive and dynamic.
Right now I'm trying to get most of my more recent sketches up and a couple doses of studies here and there.

IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1913.jpg

Postby Archon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:07 pm

Archon

Hey, I just want to add something!

Your stuff look great, they really do, you can feel the form and represent it but... when you look at a photo or another picture and manage to draw the face very well that doesn`t really mean that you can draw faces.
I`m not saying this to disturb you, I`m saying it because you`re 17 and you`re drawings look awesome and it would be a shame if you don`t work to your FULL potention from now, so that when you become 20 like me to be a monster in drawing rather than "juust realizing stuff and starting to learn".

What I mean is - if you look at a drawing or photo and manage to make an awesome copy that means that your eye to hand coordination + observation + partly your rendering skills are good. But those help AFTER you have fundamentals.
Look, I`m not saying you have no knowledge of fundamentals, absurd, on the contrary - you show alot of skill, muuch more than most people who can draw at the age of 17. But there`s this "trend" amongst people who can draw well, it`s that because of how well they draw and when they manage to make 1 very cool face and they just stop.
DON`T STOP.

1 PERFECT face <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< 40 fast, correct but not rendered ones.

You`re 17 dude, I wish I could go back in time and have someone say what I`m saying atm to me when I was 17! DRAW ALOT, You`re in school atm, you`ve got loads of free time, if you want to make art for a living fuck grades at school because when you finish school they won`t help you in your life at all...
but if you start learning the tough parts of drawing from now your life will be sooooo much easier when you`re 20..

So just stop drawing nice faces (which are really rewarding to see after you finish them, I know the feeling) and start drawing ALOT ALOT of fast but correct faces, then hands, then legs, then the whole body, then poses, then two people fighting,

THEN START PERSPECTIVE, draw boxes n shit, then think about composition, then Lighting, then place figures in your compositions, then think about design, how to make everything you CAN draw to look cool, how to make it impressive!

See how many stuff one has to learn before he can get involved in the game art industry? It`s alot :D Really :D
Please don`t take my advice too hard, your drawings are great, I like them but I fear that your skill calms you down and stops you from doing the shitload of work you should be doing atm.

BIG EDIT BIIIIIIIIIG EDIT: I just saw what you said in your first post and I understood that you ain`t gonna pursue art as a career... what I said may be valuable to you so I didn`t delete my comment... but I`ll add something - if you want to have an edge over other people decide on what you reaaally love to do and start pursueing it without stopping.. If that is Game Art - my point stands, if not - sorry I wasted your time for making you read this xD

Again, what I said is critique and feedback, not an insult, or atleast it was not meant to sound like one. :) :D
Your drawings really are very appealing, but if you want to work in the industry you have to draw from imagination which is possible only with alot of work :P
Good luck :D =D

Postby Jenn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 am

Jenn

Archon, noooo, contrary to what you may think, I’ve got to say a HUGE thank you!!!! Honestly, this is the type of critique and thought I’m really looking and craving for. Personally in my experience, being in a small environment like high school, you don’t get this type of frankness from others. Even my teacher won’t give me the type of advice you’ve given me, they often leave me empty handed, with an open answer on the lines of “I don’t know, it’s your drawing, dear, do what you feel is right” and then proceed to shoo me away back to my seat. This is one of the reasons I’ve chosen to post my art online, it gives me a chance to grow from the broad spectrum of other artist’s, each unique with their own tips, experiences, and varying levels.

And I wish I have the loads of free time you're talking about (and maybe I do cause post secondary school will probably be much harder and I can't see that right now cause I'm living in the moment), but in a school where I’m taking all sciences and double math courses all year round, this is the first week where I don’t have a test (except I do have a mini essay due), art is the only subject where I can really relax and de-stress and bust out some random sketches that have been building in my mind and turn out into the sketches you now see posted. Truthfully I’m at a crossroad right now, squished between the option of pursuing science (lame I know, but it’s one of my growing passions) and art. If luck comes to find me, I hope to get into a school that I’m eying out currently that’s near another small art school where I can attend part time.

And yeah I totally get what your saying about expanding my horizons, and not just focusing on faces. And I am starting to, in my free time, I even have a whole page in my sketchbook dedicated to what I want to improve like perspective, figure, character interaction, environment, film studies, colour, composition and so much more; it’s really overwhelming actually whenever I look at it. And I really do love art, when it first sparked my interest, I am not joking when I say that I spent my whole summer locked in my basement immersed in only art from day 'til night only leaving for food. That was probably the biggest jump in my skills from only copying images to testing out the waters and draw from the imagination.

And what you have told me is indeed very powerful, inspiring really. Would you believe me if I told you that you are the first person to tell me all this? Whether I pursue art or not, it’s not something I’m willing to point blank give up. Your advice is truly valuable and thank you for your kickass feedback!

I do feel my drawing is lacking in many areas and pretty boring and plain compared to all the amazing artwork from many here. This site has really encouraged me to actually pick up my pencil and be bold and try new things :D

Postby bszijlstra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:38 am

bszijlstra

Like most people probably tell you, you should do what you think is right. I'm doing Graphic Design at the moment, and I'm doing art on the side in the hope to get as much experience possible before I'm 20, even though that's not going to be easy since I can't put all my hours on art. I don't want to discourage you, but there are a lot of professional artists out there and the competition is pretty tough. I'd think going part-time to an art school would be really nice though, if the assignments just aren't overwhelming enough to let your other school suffer under it. Your art and your knowledge is really good for someone that's 17 though! so keep up the good work and good luck in your choice :)

Postby Jenn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Jenn

Ughhh that dreading statement, do what you think feels right; and it's not a bad thing to say, I say it too! all the time. I just have a love hate relationship with it, doing what you think feels right is definitely the right thing to do, but how do you know if what you think you're doing is truly right? But you never know unless you try I guess. ;)

But mannn, being a professional artist would be a dream! And yes I do know that this industry is crazy competitive cause there's soooo many different people, all with their different backgrounds and what they have to bring to stage. And me being a professional artist? I can't even imagine it, art is just something I am extremely fascinated about and is something I don't want to lose; it's an area I want to continue learning about, with a goal of possibly reaching the standards of a professional artist one day (ehh not very confident in this) but I don't have a demanding with to with actually be one? and I know that's gonna take decades, possibly when I'm all wrinkly and saggy since it's not my number one priority at the moment.

Thank you for your thoughts and I wish you a great journey in achieving goals as an artist! :D
And I'm wondering if you have any experience with art schools (and anyone else who reads this) and what you think I should look for when applying for one. Again thank you~

Postby Jenn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Jenn

Another post coming up, I'm hoping to finish getting most of my sketches up soon! I wanted to post a few paintings, cause I rarely do them, but both are watercolour works with some black gel pen or marker here and there. The first one is actually referenced to a photo by Lauren Isabeau. The concept of the second one, butterflies around the face, is inspired by a painting by Agnes Cecile and I know the colours are pretty bad, too much going on, and the face, the hair, ugh I don't wanna talk about it, but it was an end of the year culminating project and I did it the night before it was due (I've learned my lesson and I'm never gonna do that again, it was awful). Just a note, if I reference or copy from anything usually I'll state it, unless I really trail off from the actual image. Thanks~

Forgot something, and it's probably nothing, but the second image has a bit of acrylic and watercolour mixed together. Experimentation in times of desperation.

IMG_1382.PNG
IMG_0779.JPG

Postby Archon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Archon

I can`t critique artsy stuff too much but I love the first one and the way you teared it off adds an enormous feel to it :D I can imagine how well it stays in real life.

I`m very glad that you`re taking what I said the right way, it was meant only to help in any way I can. And I kind of understand where you are at the moment, when I was where you are atm I had 3 interests and they were psychology, art and science :P :D
Psychology where I live atm isn`t an option, it just sucks major balls, not only there`s almost no work but it isn`t paid well,
science... always makes me tick, but I`ve never really understood how you make a living with it, what`s more is that I never really had a head start over other people in that direction
and art.. it kind of represents everything I love- fantasy, sci fi, games, imagination about worlds and situations, I thought I could go in any direction from this point. But it`s not easy XD :D

You just have to decide what you really want and work hard before others realize the same, that way you`ll definately have an edge over other people at your age. Say for example two people - one at the age of 24 and one at the age of 30 start doing art for the first time - it doesn`t really matter to them, because they have decided that without pressure from the people around them.
But for someone at the age of 17, if you start now and you become 20 years old and your work looks like a professional artist you`re going to be SUPER Motivated to keep on and you`ll have a very easy life in my opionion.
Art is not about age, it`s about result after all, but it always helps to have headstart.

It`s good that you have alot of interests and that you`re always doing something but that`s a double edge cuz you`re not focusing your strengths on 1 thing.
Whatever, I`m glad we understand each other, just keep on working hard and I hope you decide on something you would love doing all life :P :D
Good luck and post more stuff when you can ^^

Postby bszijlstra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 pm

bszijlstra

Jenn wrote:Ughhh that dreading statement, do what you think feels right; and it's not a bad thing to say, I say it too! all the time. I just have a love hate relationship with it, doing what you think feels right is definitely the right thing to do, but how do you know if what you think you're doing is truly right? But you never know unless you try I guess. ;)

But mannn, being a professional artist would be a dream! And yes I do know that this industry is crazy competitive cause there's soooo many different people, all with their different backgrounds and what they have to bring to stage. And me being a professional artist? I can't even imagine it, art is just something I am extremely fascinated about and is something I don't want to lose; it's an area I want to continue learning about, with a goal of possibly reaching the standards of a professional artist one day (ehh not very confident in this) but I don't have a demanding with to with actually be one? and I know that's gonna take decades, possibly when I'm all wrinkly and saggy since it's not my number one priority at the moment.

Thank you for your thoughts and I wish you a great journey in achieving goals as an artist! :D
And I'm wondering if you have any experience with art schools (and anyone else who reads this) and what you think I should look for when applying for one. Again thank you~

Thanks for the good luck, I don't have any experience with art school, the closest one is at least two hours of travel away from where I live, and there aren't any drawing courses or whatever around where I live either, which is a shame. I wanted to reply again, but then I saw Archon pretty much said what I had to say as well :P (thank you as well archon for your first reply, it helped me getting ahead a step further and I'm sure it'll help others too ^^) I also had the luck I pretty much knew what I wanted to do like 2 years prior to choosing which study I wanted to do, but then drawing and painting randomly popped up again so I'll see where I'm at when I'm done with this one :).

Postby Dream » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:39 am

Dream

... I'm speechless, and only from the first page too.

Your sketchbook is as beautiful as it is amazing.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Kayla-su » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 am

Kayla-su

Such lovely traditional works, keep it up!

Postby Jenn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Jenn

Thanks everyone for all your great tips, feedback, and commentary!

To Archon: Dude, enormous thanks for all the great advice you've been giving me, it really opens my eyes to things I should consider 'cause this is kinda like a turning point in my life, where I really need to go over what I really want to do. :D And I'm really glad to hear that the ripped page has such an impact, it's a relief cause it wasn't like that originally, I actually spilt hot chocolate all over the bottom half :( , stained it and then proceeded to tear off the soaked half, but it's nice to hear that it became like a happy accident. :D

To Bszijlstra: Yep, yep, I agree with you that Archon has given great insight on many things. And art schools in your area are really far away!! On the bright side, you can always learn more through books, other artists, and obviously the awesome internet, but its also great to have a sense of guidance that you usually get in art schools.

To Kayla-su and Dream: Thank you for your encouragements! :D They get me really pumped to draw more and improve more. Thankyouthankyouthankyou Awesomee~

Postby Jenn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Jenn

Oh the classic eye~ The first two are the most recent, the eyes seen are the same pictures but the second one is just a close up. These were both done in black gel pen and were from a youtube tutorial by AlphonsoDunn, both the feathers and the eye were from the tutorial. Really liked how he explained how to draw lines following the curvature of the form, creating a sense of dimension. And the feathers I did was kinda mehhh, the shading was totally random and doesn't make sense. The last one is just a random watercolour piece.

IMG_1894.jpg
IMG_1851.PNG
IMG_1822.jpg

I have noticed that I favour drawing the left eye, I should draw more of the right eye or simply both I guess.

:o I'm on page 2 in my sketches post now!! WOOOO! :D :D

Postby Jenn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Jenn

Donno what happened, but a slight change in style is nice once in a while~

IMG_1659.JPG

Postby Jesia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Jesia

I love your faces! They are awesome. and your lines are so lively.
Watch it though that you don't stick too much to your comfort zone. You mentioned wanting to do bodies better? Then get to it :lol: I've been stuck in the comfort zone way too long, so don't make my mistake ^^

Postby Jenn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 am

Jenn

@Jesia, Awh gosh, thank you for the comment! And yes, I know I shouldn't stick in my comfort zone for so long, and I will work hard not to and try new things this year! I've been practising and reading through books and tutorials in my free time, mainly the general stuff, and getting a feel of what style or combination of styles I feel the most comfortable with and like the best~ I just feel like I can be doing much more though, stupid school tests =.=, I haven't drawn in a few days and my fingers are already itching to really draw something and not just the random doodles in the boarders of my notes, schools is hectic right now and hopefully testing will be over after two weeks and I can get back to drawing more :D

The first two are referenced from photographs by Marta Syrko and the last one is just a Bargue drawing :)

IMG_0554.PNG

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

Postby Waveloop » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:14 am

Waveloop

Amazing stuff... I gotta say you can became big in no time if you dedicate to do more stuff... Seventeen and you have that control... Damn! Get back in the water and you'll be a shark in no time. And don't go waisting talent, talking from experience in the long therm you may find yourselves wanting to be an artist, and rgreting not dedicating yourself 100% to it

Just food for thought... Keep it up I really like what I see

Your control on that last one is amazing

Next

Return to Sketchbook