Page 2 of 2

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:41 pm
by DRaff210
Trask wrote:
DRaff210 wrote:Great colors, characters, and rendering styles. And you're only 17 - I so badly wish I'd gotten started as a teenager. :lol: At the rate you're going, your stuff is going to be amazing by the time you're ready for an art career (if that's what you end up choosing).

I think a good challenge for you would be to add some more expression to your characters' faces, since most of them seem pretty neutral to me. But that's just a suggestion, and you can feel free to take it or leave it. :P Keep it up!


Thank you so much!! It's funny you say that, I feel like I'm not very good for my age all the time so that makes me feel a bit better :p
I guess it's all relative to when you start really practicing though, right?

And I'll focus more on that! Sometimes I notice myself erasing expressive faces because they look strange, so i do agree I need to improve them, it's not just a style choice.

thanks for the tip! <3


Yup, age doesn't matter so much as long as you practice consistently. Being young just means you get a nice head start. :D

Beautiful portrait, by the way! How long did it take you? I'm very new and painfully slow when it comes to painting, and I'm wondering if you have any insight as to how to increase work speed.

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm
by Koźlik
Everything is pretty ;0
I really like your style! It's cute!
And this page is bomb of cuteness :lol:
Spoiler: show
Image

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 am
by Trask
Yup, age doesn't matter so much as long as you practice consistently. Being young just means you get a nice head start. :D

Beautiful portrait, by the way! How long did it take you? I'm very new and painfully slow when it comes to painting, and I'm wondering if you have any insight as to how to increase work speed.


Thank you! It took me about 2 hours I think? I think I'd say the most helpful thing for me with speed is blocking bigger things in first, and then narrowing down to small details later. Trying to stay zoomed out until you really start rendering is helpful. If you start detailing too early you can really get bogged down.

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 am
by Trask
Koźlik wrote:Everything is pretty ;0
I really like your style! It's cute!
And this page is bomb of cuteness :lol:
Spoiler: show
Image


Thank you so much!! My friend ended up loving the stickers, she put them on her laptop. I was so happy! :D

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:59 pm
by Trask
hey guys! It's been a while since my last update, but I do have a few things to share.
Image
Image
Image
Image
(the character in this next one belongs to my friend @aartyful on instagram, we were doing a trade.)
Image
this is a doodle I did to be printed on a farewell card for a radio station.
Image
OKAY these next two, I'd reaaaalllly appreciate any tips that you guys have because I just hate how they turned out. I had a really hard time with the water,
and I'd love if someone could give me advice on making it look a bit better because I'm so unhappy with these two.
ImageImage

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:22 am
by arodude
Cool stuff you've been posting! I like the colors on Taako. Can't believe we're finally entering the finale for TAZ.

For the last two pictures, I don't know a whole lot about water but I'll try to help. You could make some of the edges of the ripples look a little softer to make them more convincing. The light from whatever light sources there are would be refracted and leave distorted shapes of light on her. This sitehas a thing you can use to get an idea of how light looks on stuff underwater. I googled around and found some guy swimming with some refracted light on his body which could serve as an example.

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am
by geryes
Dang I really like your style and color palette. It's so fun to watch. Keep up the great work!

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:44 pm
by Trask
arodude wrote:Cool stuff you've been posting! I like the colors on Taako. Can't believe we're finally entering the finale for TAZ.

For the last two pictures, I don't know a whole lot about water but I'll try to help. You could make some of the edges of the ripples look a little softer to make them more convincing. The light from whatever light sources there are would be refracted and leave distorted shapes of light on her. This sitehas a thing you can use to get an idea of how light looks on stuff underwater. I googled around and found some guy swimming with some refracted light on his body which could serve as an example.


thank you so much!! I really appreciate the resources. I think next update I'll probably include some underwater studies.
And I know!!! I can't believe it either, I'm equal parts excited and sad to see it ending.

Trask's sketchbook attempt no.2!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:44 pm
by Trask
geryes wrote:Dang I really like your style and color palette. It's so fun to watch. Keep up the great work!


Thank you!! I'll do my best :D