Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Oli » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 am

Oli

Subject title: Warty's sketchbook

Hey mate, thanks again for your input over at my SB. I just had the time to flip through your SB (not all pages :oops: ) I figured that your strongest suit is landscapes and scenes from the beginning. and light. I like the way u use it. the only thing that is not quite at that level (which is fucking high up there) is the figure drawings. your backgrounds always look so lively and BAM! but the figures sorta do not match up. i guess it'll be tough to match but i think it'll push your whole work to an other level.
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby wartynewt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:47 am

wartynewt

Oli wrote:Hey mate, thanks again for your input over at my SB. I just had the time to flip through your SB (not all pages :oops: ) I figured that your strongest suit is landscapes and scenes from the beginning. and light. I like the way u use it. the only thing that is not quite at that level (which is fucking high up there) is the figure drawings. your backgrounds always look so lively and BAM! but the figures sorta do not match up. i guess it'll be tough to match but i think it'll push your whole work to an other level.

Thanks Oli :) any specific thing i need to work on with my figures? for instance i feel my poses are very weak, but my proportions are good but i'm not sure about this since i used to think my proportions were good back in 2014 etc and when i look at it now it looks terrible lol... Personally i feel like my weakest points are the pose, design and understanding of anatomy in some parts (like the forearm, knees etc)

Postby Oli » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 am

Oli

It is hard to say in general, cuz you did so many paintings. But in your latest one (the necro-piece) I think that the figure lacks action. For instance, and I might be wrong, the hair could show more wildness, more energy that reflects the wildness of the summoned dragon. like so maybe:

Spoiler: show

for the cape the same

The pose as well, but this you know ;) . (I kinda like this for ref)

I think I might sum it up that you could push everything to be more extreme. summoning a dragon is extreme, so the figure (and everything around the figure) needs to reflect that. I guess there is nothing "wrong" with the necro atm, but with a little more... you know. It is the next step to level up, from lvl99 to lvl100

I hope you kinda get what I am jabbering about.

Postby wartynewt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:22 am

wartynewt

Thanks a bunch! I totally get what you mean, great feedback :)

Postby wartynewt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:10 pm

wartynewt

first interior i ever tried, i feel like it's turning out quite well, it's a challenge though for sure
Untitled-74.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:51 pm

wartynewt

worked on the figure a bit, calling it done
Untitled-67lowrez.jpg
Last edited by wartynewt on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ragamuffin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:10 am

Ragamuffin

Very good job on that interior!

Postby Markus Creation » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 am

Markus Creation

The interior looks really good. Reminded me of Inns in Warcraft and in Witcher 1. So, in case you wanted to make an medieval themed Inn, its quite good!
You said it was a challenge, why is that? Would you like to tell a bit more about the process of making it and what problems you encountered?

Postby Oli » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Oli

wartynewt wrote:worked on the figure a bit

way better! But I think you can push it even further. I took the liberty to quickly sketch out a pose:

IMG_2971.JPG

I tried to push the stance to a stronger one by placing the feet further apart. I kept the twist in the body and I moved her left hand further to us so that there is some foreshortening going on. The same with the right arm, just in the other direction. I figured that she might also be shouting something.

Anyway, just an idea.

Postby Steeliebob » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Steeliebob

Yeah, its pretty insane how great even these rough landscapes look.

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:45 pm

DRaff210

That tavern/kitchen setting really resonated with me. I love rough-around-the-edges-but-cozy places like that. :D And it's especially amazing for your first indoor-type painting!

Postby wartynewt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:33 pm

wartynewt

@DRaff210: thanks man :) I love places like that too hehe :D so it was really fun painting it.
@Steeliebob: thank you!
@Markus Creation: thanks man! that's exactly what i was going for. It was a challenge since it's the first interior i've ever painted, and it involves some light scenarios i'm not familiar with to create the mood i wanted. Also involves alot of perspective, i found it hard to find an interesting composition, i helped myself by first making a very quick 3D base which made making the initial drawing alot easier. The textures were a challenge too since i want my stuff to look painterly so i didn't want to just photobash everything and i still wanted to not spend entire days rendering it :p. So as for process i just made a blocky 3D base, then drew in some details and started painting in photoshop :)
@Ragamuffin: thanks muffin :D
@Oli: Thanks alot for the overdraw! i see what u mean :) for this one i'm too lazy to repaint it all so i'm leaving it as is, but for the next one i'll definitely use your critique! Thanks for pointing that out :)

A quick sketch, went for neutral poses just to show their character concepts. Lots of errors but just wanted to loosen up and relax
Untitled-76.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:06 pm

wartynewt

quick values and background
Untitled-76.jpg
Last edited by wartynewt on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Ragamuffin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Ragamuffin

That's a killer costume on the dual-wielding guy :D

Postby wartynewt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 pm

wartynewt

more practice from imagination, lately i've been doing everything from imagination, my last few paintings too, i should go back to using reference, i'll probably do a better job then lol
Untitled-77lowrez.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:19 am

wartynewt

painting one of the sketches

better quality: https://gyazo.com/51cff1b786614dd43656500df4e1a2e3
51cff1b786614dd43656500df4e1a2e3.jpg

Postby Oli » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Oli

Very cool.

Just a sidenote to the pose: I think it'll be even more dynamic if you move her right hand to the hight of her nipples. And her left arm looks a bit stiff.

Postby wartynewt » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:46 pm

wartynewt

Thanks Oli :) i'm too lazy to fix the pose now since i drew everything on one layer, but your suggestions would've definitely made the pose better. I did turn her torso a bit more and put the sword less horizontal.
updated some other issues
Untitled-78.jpg
Last edited by wartynewt on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Postby Ellustration » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Ellustration

I love your environments! Especially that interior scene on the last page :)

Postby Xiphor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Xiphor

Hey man the latest character concepts look awesome!

Postby Troeton » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Troeton

Good shit, warty. Especially your environments are just awesome.
Quick heads up for the last pose. Even if you're not going to fix this particular piece, maybe some of this helps in the future: You have parallel lines and right angles in there, which really hurts the dynamic of the pose and makes it look kind of stiff. Her legs for example, in relation to each other, form a right angle, and the arms do the same thing. In addition to that, her right arm and her right leg are parallel to each other, as well as her left arm and her left leg.
It doesn't help the pose much either, that all of her limbs kind of exist on the same plane from the viewer's point of view. What I mean by that, is that nothing moves back or forth in space and you just look at it from a flat angle from the side. I have no idea, if I explained any of that well. Feels kind of incoherent to me and I'm slowly losing the ability to speak English, while reading through my own words. :D
Anyway ... lots of awesome stuff and a few easy to fix problems. I'll be using your environments to improve my own environment work. Keep it up, dude! :)

Postby wartynewt » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:12 pm

wartynewt

@Troeton: thanks man :) really helpful shit, i'm trying to get my characters to look better and posing is a big working point for me :p so i appreciate it alot! will definitely use it in future paintings and fixed this one a little bit lol.
@Xiphor: thanks Xiphor :D yay, someone that likes my characters ^^ makes me happy
@Ellustration: thanks :D i'm pretty happy with that myself (which doesn't happen very often hehe)

Calling this sketch done, too many errors to make it worth putting in more time, learned alot though and i think it's not too bad for using zero reference
Untitled-78lowrez.jpg
Last edited by wartynewt on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wartynewt » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:52 pm

wartynewt

Untitled-75.jpg
rendering this bad boy

Postby Oli » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Oli

Yeah!

BTW, just tell me if I am criticising too much :ugeek:

Postby Icyhands » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

Icyhands

Nice work with no ref. Always good to try that every so often.
Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9681 DA - http://icyhands.deviantart.com

'the hell are you reading this? You should be drawing!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook