Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Zearthus » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Zearthus

Subject title: Zearthus Sketch Blog

@jachuu
Thank you, likewise :geek:

@everfae
Thanks for your compliment, really appreciate it. Yeah, patience is the key when it comes to learning... :lol:

How am I approaching learning hamptons book?
The way I'm doing it is, I first read the chapter as in the whole chapter, to get a general idea of what the chapter is speaking off. Then I go through it again, but taking notes, ideas, like a part of his system in order for me to implement in my drawings. I also copy his drawings, especially the first chapter, to get the feeling of what I should be looking for in poses. He emphasizes a lot about the spine, which I believe he's right. When you get the movement of the spine, it becomes easier to draw the other parts.

Although, its not really my first time using his book, I have been learning from his book since last year, mainly gesture drawing for 3-4 months last year haha... So we have to also take that into consideration. Its going to take time for his system to start sinking in.

But other ideas I have taken for understanding more of the gesture drawing phase (Chapter 1 of Hampton Book)
http://drawthefigure.blogspot.com/2013/ ... notes.html
http://analyticalfiguresp08.blogspot.com/

Overall, gesture phase is gonna be a process lots of frustration, repeating the same thing over and over until it clicks. I have found if you understand form better, and simplify like Kevin chen does, its easier to do the gesture drawing. So to sum it up: The way I approach learning from any books/Hampton book in particular, read the whole chapter, read it again, study the pages take notes/copy, and try to apply the system on reference or life.

Hope that answers your question, if not feel free to ask again, will try my best to clarify more.

---

Imagination gesture, no time limit gesture, and simplification/study of the torso.

---

Day 15 of 42 Michael Hampton Learning Project

---

-

-

---

-

-

---

-

-

---

-

Currently on a Michael Hampton learning project, give it a read if you want to know more:
viewtopic.php?p=104410#p104410
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby Zearthus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:49 am

Zearthus

---

Simplification of head drawing, 1 minute gesture, sketchbook challenge #4.

---

A bit in depth of what the sketchbook challenge will be about is basically designing stuffs with random forms, for those interested into knowing more can be found here:
http://thedesignsketchbook.com/tip-138- ... technique/

Why this form exercise?
To the process of creating things out of imagination/shapes and of course practice contours, forms and shapes.

---

At first I wasn't going to post these but eh... if I'm documenting my journey I should indeed post even the horrid ones haha.

---

-

-

-

-

-

Postby Zearthus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Zearthus

-

Torso simplification, gesture practice time/no time. Still not too intensively with torso yet, still trying to understand the general structure of it, and different positions. Same with the skeleton landmarks. Probably this is going to take me at least a fine 2 weeks before I start understanding the torso better. Love the challenge, especially when you're getting a headache, that's when you know you're learning something new :)!

--

Changing the name of Michael Hampton Learning project to, Figure drawing learning project. Why? Because I realized I'm not really sticking with the Hampton's book, rather I'm combining different sources together. So instead of focusing on one book, I will just share the sources I used and how I went about learning the figure at the end of the project.

-

-

--

-

-

--

-

-

--

-

-

--

-

-

--

-

Postby Fantelle » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:24 pm

Fantelle

Very interesting studies and gestures! I may borrow some of your wise works for my own studies ^U^

Postby everfae » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 pm

everfae

Zearthus wrote:@everfae
Thanks for your compliment, really appreciate it. Yeah, patience is the key when it comes to learning... :lol:

How am I approaching learning hamptons book?
The way I'm doing it is, I first read the chapter as in the whole chapter, to get a general idea of what the chapter is speaking off. Then I go through it again, but taking notes, ideas, like a part of his system in order for me to implement in my drawings. I also copy his drawings, especially the first chapter, to get the feeling of what I should be looking for in poses. He emphasizes a lot about the spine, which I believe he's right. When you get the movement of the spine, it becomes easier to draw the other parts.

Although, its not really my first time using his book, I have been learning from his book since last year, mainly gesture drawing for 3-4 months last year haha... So we have to also take that into consideration. Its going to take time for his system to start sinking in.

But other ideas I have taken for understanding more of the gesture drawing phase (Chapter 1 of Hampton Book)
http://drawthefigure.blogspot.com/2013/ ... notes.html
http://analyticalfiguresp08.blogspot.com/

Overall, gesture phase is gonna be a process lots of frustration, repeating the same thing over and over until it clicks. I have found if you understand form better, and simplify like Kevin chen does, its easier to do the gesture drawing. So to sum it up: The way I approach learning from any books/Hampton book in particular, read the whole chapter, read it again, study the pages take notes/copy, and try to apply the system on reference or life.

Hope that answers your question, if not feel free to ask again, will try my best to clarify more.

Hi, sorry I missed your reply, i don't know how to get this forum to notify you when someone's quoted / replied to you but oh well!

Thank you very very much your clarity! That was the kind of answer I was looking for and I will approach the book (or any other book) in a similar way. Ive currently just been flicking to the chapter when I feel l ike I need it in my drawing, but I will try to approach each chapter more thoroughly over time.

I love what you're doing, you're going to have such a massive mind library by the end of your studying :D How wonderful!
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby Zearthus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Zearthus

@everfae
Thank You, although that sure is going to take some time. Talking about the visual library part :lol:
---

Random Post/Random stuff

---

CHAT:
I was planning to stick with Hampton for 42 days, but unfortunately I do not want to continue with his method, and instead of setting myself a rigid 42 days strict one book learning, I'm gonna change the process to a more organic way of learning. Not gonna go into too much details about it, rather I want to not always say everything, because sometimes our mind can also trick us and think we already got it and so on.

So I shall refrain from sharing it until I know it's working properly :)!

Another thing is, I was going to take a week off of studying and just let my mind draw, but I just can't shake off the urge of wanting to learn figure drawing before I do that. Since I'm stopping with Hampton, I will be using Bridgman since that's another book I wanted to learn from due that I feel Bridgman way of drawing is what I want to learn more a lot about. Hampton for me, was more for the Chapter 1 for the time been. I will get back to Hampton again, but not any time soon. But instead of using only one book with Bridgeman, I'm combining it with Stephen Rogers Peck book, and if I need to combine it with more, then I shall throw in Sarah Simblet's Book. Well then...!a
---

Random stuff drawn during boring classes - Yesterday Stuffs.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Postby Vixie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Vixie

nice update here again =) blue-pen sketches have very clean and design-y feel to them =) but the rest looks nice too, comfy chairs :D
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Exilious » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Exilious

Those look amazing! I REALLY want to sit in that chair from the fourth photo. ;-;
Hey there! My name is Jeoffrey Robinson, but you can call me Jeff, or anything you feel comfortable with. I have been drawing for nearly a year now, and am just getting back from a long hiatus. I am eager to start improving again and finally get good with art!

My journey through art~[/b]

Postby Zearthus » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 am

Zearthus

Thanks for the comments guys!

---

Was on a break with studying, but I won't be posting as often probably once every week or two weeks, school, and all that jazz. And starting to figure out whether I will go abroad for learning art, such as at Watts or tafa studio, so yeah. And for those interested:
https://www.wattsatelier.com/allforums/ ... -practice/

Started with Bridgman book (combining it with Hampton) , hence the copies/studies, and couple of master studies/imagination figures.

But yeah, overall currently considering what options I have for continuing with art self teaching vs education system (atelier) with a manageable of payable debt and so on. Because the path of self teaching, while it's great, it comes with a lot of limitation especially in the area where I live (Curacao).

---

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Postby Vixie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33 am

Vixie

that was one massive update :D I really dig your studies, it´s so inspirational to see how much work you are putting into it =)
*random thing: your Bridgman studies reminded me of something I have read in Loomis book: Bridgman sometimes demonstrated his figure drawing for class with drawing with crayon at the end of 4 foot long stick. sorry for OT :roll: *
Hello. How are you? Have a nice Day. I'm socially awkward, sorry.
Sketchbook / Tumblr / deviantArt / Skype - if you'd like to chat: vixie.illustration

Postby Fergato » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Fergato

Excellent gestures man, I love them. Really clean and simple.
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Previous

Return to Sketchbook