Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Probably Singed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 am

Probably Singed

Subject title: Probably Singed's Stuff

I'll be posting random things here every now and then to help track my own progress. I have a bad habit of deleting almost everything as I work on it, so this should help give me some initiative to avoid that. I'll be posting things in a chronological order, starting with the earliest drawing I can find as a kind of marker.

I prefer people suggesting things I should fix rather than praising it, because of my own dissatisfaction in my drawings.
Hopefully I can help you guys as much as you'll help me, and thanks in advance.

I'll be adding my own thoughts and opinions on each one as I go, starting with the old and onwards to whatever I post.

I started with Paint Tool Sai, and played around with it for a couple days. After some frustration and scribbling, I had managed to draw something I was satisfied with. Of course, there's a million things wrong with it and it can barely be called a sketch, but it was a start. May 28th, 2013
1 (1000x647).jpg

I realized that I wouldn't get anywhere if I didn't have at least a basic understanding of human anatomy, and so I went in and 'sketched' out what I thought was right. Of course, none of it was. Still, it was more progress. June 1st, 2013
3.jpg

Feeling ambitious, I thought I'd try drawing one of my favorite characters with a fancy background and overly dynamic pose. It made perfect sense to me at the time, but looking at it now... where's the body, exactly? I supposed this was my first time playing around with any kind of perspective, so I was somewhat pleased with the results. June 5th, 2013.
2 (700x496).jpg

A friend of mine said to me, "You'll never get any better just drawing what you want to draw. Draw me an ent." And following his words, I drew what I thought an ent would look like. To be completely honest, I do like the concept even if everything is poorly executed. June 6th, 2013.
4.jpg

There's quite the jump between dates on this one. I guess I went a couple weeks without drawing, or was just plain unsatisfied with all of it at the time. Once again, my ambitions got the better of me and I felt like trying an 'amazing picture with feeling and perspective', based on a game I had just finished playing. I was inspired! The game filled with me emotion, and... ew.
I spent a lot of time on it, got extremely frustrated (Bit off a little more than I could chew), and abandoned ship. I believe just after this was when I realized that I would learn more if I tried to learn actual anatomy and techniques, rather than focusing on a 'manga style', though I still love drawing that way. I accepted that lack of knowledge would lead to me drawing abominations that were adaptations of an adaptation, and the thought scared me a little. July 13th, 2013.
IbMaryWIP2 (707x1000).jpg

Shortly after, I somehow sat down and drew up this scenery on one layer through random color dropping and doodling with Sai's pen tool. I was happy with the results, but the very next day I saw a million things wrong with it and ended up spending a whole week trying to figure out more about depth, color, and trying to find an understanding about implied data through brush strokes. I still kind of like this one. July 16th, 2013.
scenery1 (707x1000).jpg

More to be added in another post. I feel the wall is getting too big.
Most likely. Almost definitely.

Postby Probably Singed » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:57 am

Probably Singed

On July 30th, I spent a whole day messing around with people on 4chan. I asked for requests, they'd request strange things, and I'd draw them as fast as I could. Oddly enough, one of my favorite characters came into existence this way: Walrus Singed. I was beginning to understand what it meant to have confidence in my lines, and my work was becoming a bit cleaner, though not by much.
Being no different from a doodle, there's not much to judge about this one other than the poor line work and anatomy/proportion problems that still haunt me.

SingedChampionSpotlight.jpg

Somewhere around this time, I decided to try my hand at Photoshop rather than Sai. I was somehow under the belief that I'd be much better at painting digitally than standard lineart illustration. Seeking something to drive me to learn Photoshop, I asked a friend to make a request. He asked for a character from a game he likes, 'Katawa Shoujo.' I tried it. I failed. This was where I realized the incredible importance behind colors and values, and I spent many sleepless nights trying to learn as much as I could about it. July 31st, 2013
Lily (1000x707).jpg

I considered it a total failure, and begged him to let me try again. Of course he had no reason to say no, so back to Photoshop I went for round two. It was definitely better, but I became blind to the picture and rushed to try and finish it before I got frustrated enough to just delete it. After looking at it the next day, I realized how important it was to avoid abusing brush presets in Photoshop. This was my first completed composition. 8/2/2013
Lily2-2 (1000x707).jpg

Several weeks were filled with color dropping, sketching, and me banging my head against my tablet.

I felt the need to try different things and find a style/technique that I liked. (Still working on that.) While it's messy, lacking proportion, missing an arm, and reminiscent of manga though I was trying to avoid it, I do like this one. It has a warm feeling to it that I still haven't really been able to replicate. 8/23/2013
practice 2.jpg

I decided to try my hand at another scenery right after that. The sky somehow manages to look flat, the clouds are horribly plastic looking, the cabin doesn't follow perspective (or logic), and the trees and brush is a bit too dark and vague. I had completely ignored everything I just spent weeks trying to teach myself about values, and it's obvious here. It also looks rather lazily done and messy. 8/23/2013
Woods bg small.jpg

I took my first shot at realism right after that. It went... well, it's interesting. This taught me that my monitor had some problems, so until I had fixed them I hadn't seen all of the problems underneath the robe's hood (cowl?). I had imagined that his arms were somewhat hidden in the cloak, but it looks more like he doesn't have any at all. There's a few problems with the alignment of his nose, the 'object' in the background is a little lacking in detail and so the image seems rather random and chaotic, and some lazy brush strokes are very evident. Other opinions and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 8/25/2013
Hrmmmm (1000x707).jpg

Did a couple sketches of profile for both realism and various styles, happened to get one that I liked so I dropped some color onto it. Various problems with shading, anatomy, and facial features. I was still hoping to find a style I liked (still am.) 9/3/2013
moresketches.jpg

My most recently finished drawing, and my first attempt at getting a 'clean' lineart for anything I've drawn. I was happy the hour I finished it, but the very next I was disappointed. The face has an awkward shape that I didn't immediately notice, the eyes are a bit misproportioned/aligned, the colors could have been more interesting, and the general anatomy/proportions are just awful, specifically the hand. There are several problems with shading and color, but that will take more time for me to fully understand/solve. I think the lighting/value/color choices are a bit weird for the background that I dropped in as well. I believe many of the problems with the picture were from me trying to give lineart to a sketch that was far too messy for it, and so some details and contours were lost, causing some stupid mistakes (i.e. the misshapen head.) Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated on this one as well. 9/7/2013
Yay (1000x655).jpg

Postby Dream » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:48 am

Dream

First thing that comes to mind in which you might want to improve is cleaner or more concise linework. This is specially noticeable in the sketches but it's also there on the more finished to a certain degree. By the way, if you want people to give the most critique and feedback they can, i recommend you post something in the Critique section of the forum. But considering how you honestly don't feel there's a point in spending time on a piece to a point of completion (since you feel you are still too much of a begginer), i can understand why you would prefer to have critiques just in your sketchbook for the time being.

Sorry that i ended up writing so little, will try to give more extensive feedback in the near future.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Probably Singed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:37 am

Probably Singed

Dream wrote:First thing that comes to mind in which you might want to improve is cleaner or more concise linework. This is specially noticeable in the sketches but it's also there on the more finished to a certain degree.

I completely agree with that. I have very little confidence in my lines, so I find myself making several lines lightly and gradually making them darker until I see what I want to see. It's a bad habit, and one I'll need to work hard to fix.
Dream wrote:By the way, if you want people to give the most critique and feedback they can, i recommend you post something in the Critique section of the forum. But considering how you honestly don't feel there's a point in spending time on a piece to a point of completion (since you feel you are still too much of a begginer), i can understand why you would prefer to have critiques just in your sketchbook for the time being.

Hmm... This might be hard to explain, but I'll try my best.
It's not that I feel like there's no point in posting there, there definitely would be. I feel that I don't have enough 'finished' drawings, and the ones that I do have simply aren't good enough, even by my standards. Maybe I'm just afraid of posting that stuff there, but it feels wrong to post something that I can see has several mistakes. I feel that it would be best to post something there when I have trouble seeing the mistakes I've made, or don't know what I should improve on. Posting something to have someone parrot my own thoughts to me might just make me more upset.

Maybe it would be better to post some of them there. I honestly don't know, I don't have the experience to say what's right or wrong.

Dream wrote:Sorry that i ended up writing so little, will try to give more extensive feedback in the near future.

Not a problem at all, thank you for posting. I'll think on what you said about posting to the critique forum a bit.

Postby Probably Singed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:48 am

Probably Singed

Tried gesture drawing for the first time using one of the sites in Sycra's resources. To be completely honest, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, so I just tried to draw what I saw as fast as I could. I hope that was the point.

It didn't occur to me that I should be saving what I'm drawing until the very end. Oops. So these are the only ones I have from the session, and I have no idea which ones were given what allotted amount of time. I did my best to keep erasing to a minimum, though I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.
Definitely an interesting exercise, and I'm hoping I was doing things right. Someone, please correct me if I'm being stupid. Teach me, O' wise ones.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Couldn't draw this woman's face for my life.
4.jpg

5.jpg

My hand hurts like all hell... At least it was fun.

Postby Probably Singed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am

Probably Singed

I feel like I should be using smaller pictures...

And I should stop chicken-scratching while I do these. It's probably not helping anything if I keep doing that.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Ambiguity

I think you have the same problem with gestures a lot of beginners have, you stare at the contours too much instead of trying to feel out the "flow" of the pose.

Maybe this will help you understand it a bit better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

Here's a demo too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j39NqwL7s4

Postby Probably Singed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Probably Singed

I'm an idiot. Thank you so much.

Postby Di Vakrov » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Di Vakrov

Very nice art! we beginners must support each other! I really love the hood-cloack guy, I think it would be even nicer if you put him in a 1/3 (goldern ratio) of the picture. (Sorry for my bad english, its my second language).

Currently I'm reading Michael Hampton- Figure Drawing - Design and Invention and I've learned a lot! maybe it will help you with the character design :D

Postby PostBoxRomance » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 pm

PostBoxRomance

You've definitely got a good foundation here!

I'd like to recommend Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth".

It's a fantastic book, he takes you through step by step and it helped me a lot!

Good luck with your future work! :D
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby Probably Singed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Probably Singed

PostBoxRomance wrote:You've definitely got a good foundation here!

I'd like to recommend Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth".

It's a fantastic book, he takes you through step by step and it helped me a lot!

Good luck with your future work! :D

I think my lack of foundations is the majority of my problem.

Both of you recommended books, but that's out of the question. If I had the resources to put into books, I wouldn't have to be entirely self-taught. Still, thanks for the comments and recommendations.

Postby PostBoxRomance » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:08 pm

PostBoxRomance

I'm self taught too.

Have you tried lovecastle's draw tool? Fast paced figure drawing!

30 minutes a day is all you need. :)

Postby Fedodika » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:18 am

Fedodika

isn't lovecastle down? i've tried so many times to go on there and it's like it doesn't work or something

Postby PostBoxRomance » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 am

PostBoxRomance

It would appear that it is. Strange.

Try Pixelovely instead :)

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:46 am

Dream

You can easily download Loomis books from pretty much anywhere on the internet. You don't even need to feel bad if you're among the anti-piracy crew since even in the U.S. and such it's extremely hard to buy. And the author is dead, so it wouldn't make much of a difference to him how you acquire the book.

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Probably Singed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Probably Singed

To be completely honest, I've lost most of the direction I had when I first started getting into this. I have no idea what I should be doing to improve more, or what I should be looking at. I'm mostly just doing random sketches and drawings with no real direction. I guess it's fine, as long as I keep drawing. Hard to say.

Postby Dream » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:23 am

Dream

For free, you can: check Proko's, Sycra's, FZD's, and other artists's youtube channels (they all have educative and useful videos) as well as the CTRL+Paint site and it's unplugged section, which seems specially designed to help people in your predicament.

Postby Waveloop » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Waveloop

Nice stuff. I love to see people motivated. A comment though, those last figures you did... Try and avoid all those chicken scratches... Keep hem in check and to a minimum, it's taking away the energy of your lines, and I can't help feeling it's a shame cuz they're cool

Keep up the good work

Postby Probably Singed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 am

Probably Singed

I've watched a couple different videos and read a few different things on figure drawing, and everyone has said something different. It's a bit confusing, honestly.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:03 am

Ambiguity

Probably Singed wrote:I've watched a couple different videos and read a few different things on figure drawing, and everyone has said something different. It's a bit confusing, honestly.

That's because there really aren't any "rules" to drawing("There are no rules, only tools" - Glenn Vilppu), almost anything can work, but that doesn't mean everything will work for you. You just gotta experiment and see what you like the most. Don't be afraid to mix and match either ;).

Postby Probably Singed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 pm

Probably Singed

Ambiguity wrote:That's because there really aren't any "rules" to drawing("There are no rules, only tools" - Glenn Vilppu), almost anything can work, but that doesn't mean everything will work for you. You just gotta experiment and see what you like the most. Don't be afraid to mix and match either ;).

What I mean is that everyone has a different opinion on what you're supposed to be getting out of the same exercise, and they all seem to have different understandings of what's more or less important to focus on. I figured an exercise to improve my ability should be a little more solidly placed, but I guess what you're saying makes sense. Thanks.

Postby PostBoxRomance » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:15 am

PostBoxRomance

No one can really tell you what you "should" get out of an exercise. If people are telling you what you "should" get out of it, you're going to feel like you've failed if and when you don't get out of it what they're saying that you should. Does that make sense?

Everyone stumbles around blindly for a while!

Keep doing what you're doing, but as Waveloop said, try and keep the small, sketchy lines to a minimum. It's easy to lose the "energy" of the piece when that happens!

Please keep the hard work up though! :D

Postby Probably Singed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 am

Probably Singed

Dream wrote:First thing that comes to mind in which you might want to improve is cleaner or more concise linework. This is specially noticeable in the sketches but it's also there on the more finished to a certain degree.

I was thinking about this because I know it's a huge problem of mine, and I was wondering. Is it a problem on the latest one that I posted? Not the figure drawings, but the girl with the scarf. I like to think that it's cleaner linework, but if I'm wrong then there's a lot I'll have to try and wrap my head around.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 am

Ambiguity

Probably Singed wrote:Is it a problem on the latest one that I posted? Not the figure drawings, but the girl with the scarf. I like to think that it's cleaner linework, but if I'm wrong then there's a lot I'll have to try and wrap my head around.

It is cleaner linework, but the point isn't to have a sketch with "clean" lines for the sake of cleanliness, the point is to have "fluid" lines(lines that flow naturally, they don't feel "broken") for the sake of gesture. Even a "messy" sketch can contain lines that flow well(look at Sycra's SB). If you clean up stiff lines, they're still going to be stiff even if they're technically "clean", whereas if you clean up lines that flow well, you'll still retain some of that energy from the original sketch, even if it was a "messy" sketch.

Some videos that might help you with your line quality and basic sketching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQ1WVyPHvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFv1MnZi7No

Postby Probably Singed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Probably Singed

Ambiguity wrote:
Probably Singed wrote:Is it a problem on the latest one that I posted? Not the figure drawings, but the girl with the scarf. I like to think that it's cleaner linework, but if I'm wrong then there's a lot I'll have to try and wrap my head around.

It is cleaner linework, but the point isn't to have a sketch with "clean" lines for the sake of cleanliness, the point is to have "fluid" lines(lines that flow naturally, they don't feel "broken") for the sake of gesture. Even a "messy" sketch can contain lines that flow well(look at Sycra's SB). If you clean up stiff lines, they're still going to be stiff even if they're technically "clean", whereas if you clean up lines that flow well, you'll still retain some of that energy from the original sketch, even if it was a "messy" sketch.

Some videos that might help you with your line quality and basic sketching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQ1WVyPHvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFv1MnZi7No

The last video is amazing, being able to draw something like that with a single line. It took me a couple seconds to realize he was drawing a face when he started. It's almost discouraging when I see stuff like that and realize that it just means I don't even have the smallest understanding of something as basic as drawing a line.

Thanks for the videos, those exercises should be pretty useful.

Next

Return to Sketchbook