Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby N.K. » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:13 pm

N.K.

Subject title: Sketchbook thingie

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

My main goal is to draw comicbook-worthy artwork, and I take a lot of inspiration from Noir movies and early 1900's advertisements. So I'm aware my style might not be that appealing for many.
I've only been drawing serious for around a year and don't consider myself anywhere near good, so please bear with me.

Some sketches and work in progress:
Spoiler: show

Finished work
Not completely finished, but it's an illustration I made earlier this year and can't bother to finish it

Most of my studies are done traditionally and aren't very interesting...
But I'd love to improve on perspective and environments, and I want to draw more varied characters and faces. Any form of feedback is welcome :) Thank you.
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:27 pm

DRaff210

First: welcome to the forum!

Second: Holy crap, man, your work is incredible. You're being so hard on yourself! It seems like you've got painting and rendering techniques down to a tee, and your anatomy and sense of form is really great. (This is coming from someone with very little experience, though, so take my words with a grain of salt. :p) My favorite piece is the second one, the one with the half-blue-lit face - the colors are so cool and creative.

Off the top of my head, I think the one thing you might want to focus on improving is your sense of gesture. This applies to your facial expressions, too, since they mostly seem pretty neutral or apathetic. The banjo-player in the last piece is a good example of this, I think - I love the colors and the atmosphere, but he seems a little stiff, and his expression is hard to read.

But yeah, don't sell yourself short, especially with regards to your style. I feel like noir-inspired art is really hard to come across, which a shame, especially since it's so stylish and powerful. Can't wait to see where you head with this. :D

Postby N.K. » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:08 pm

N.K.

Hi, thank you for both the welcome and the compliment :) It's much appreciated!
I'm glad to hear my anatomy looks good, it's the thing I've been practicing most the past year. But you're right, my expressions (and poses) still seem very flat, stiff and hard to read. It's definitely something I'll be working on the upcoming year, I'm aware I still have a lot to learn!

And thanks again. Yes, noir-inspired artwork is very difficult to come across (or maybe I just haven't been searching that good). I do often feel misplaced in art-communities, like deviantArt or ArtStation for example. It's either anime or concept art, so I quickly feel as if I'm not allowed to post on said sites. That's why I'm hoping to get more feedback at a forum like this.

Anyway, this is a silly sketch I did today. I'm not that good at one-layer drawing but I wanted to try some new stuff with shading and technique.
But I do wish I had a scanner! I want to post some sketchbook pages, since I draw a lot more traditionally lately S:
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Knard » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Knard

Amazing work! Keep going ! :)
I have a bad english.

My art : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75453

Postby lilla » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:19 am

lilla

Oh man, I love this! So cool to see an orientation not many take. I wish I had a clear goal/taste like you in that sense that you seem to go for something very specific and I really love the film noir appeal!
As it's been said, you might really benefit from practicing facial expressions, like the old-timey movies usually overact a lot of facial expressions, and it gives some drama, trying out some caricature might be helpful maybe, just an idea! :) But apart from that you got really far for only having done drawing seriously for a year!
And don't be discouraged by being different, it's great to see something a bit outside the box!

Postby rockmor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:56 am

rockmor

Holy shit, man, I'm blown away. Really love your lighting and that old-school style of yours :)
Do you really just draw for a year? I wish I'd be able to learn that fast.

Postby N.K. » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:29 pm

N.K.

lilla wrote:Oh man, I love this! So cool to see an orientation not many take. I wish I had a clear goal/taste like you in that sense that you seem to go for something very specific and I really love the film noir appeal!
As it's been said, you might really benefit from practicing facial expressions, like the old-timey movies usually overact a lot of facial expressions, and it gives some drama, trying out some caricature might be helpful maybe, just an idea! :) But apart from that you got really far for only having done drawing seriously for a year!
And don't be discouraged by being different, it's great to see something a bit outside the box!

Ah! Thank you very much :) It means a lot to me!
Well, it took me a while to have a goal this clear haha. Before I started experimenting with this style I didn't draw for almost half a year.
I was questioning myself a lot where exactly I wanted to go with drawing/illustrating, since the years before 2016 I didn't draw as serious as I do now (mostly cartoons and stuff). I always wanted to go for a more serious and realistic style, like J.C. Leyendecker for example, so I started practicing by doing a lot of studies of his work and researching a lot about (facial) anatomy. That's how I got started.

And thanks for the feedback! It's stupid that I never thought about it before, but as for drawing expressions I think I might learn a lot from studying movie stills! I'll try that next :)

rockmor wrote:Holy shit, man, I'm blown away. Really love your lighting and that old-school style of yours :)

Thank you so much! Actually I've been drawing for a longer while hahaha :D However I've been practicing this particular style for only a year.
For the past year I've filled around 4 sketchbooks full of studies (the 5th one is almost full!) Drawing is more important to me than homework it seems, since I basically draw everyday.
On my DeviantArt I posted an improvement meme thingie, comparing an early work from Januari with a newer drawing from December:

I'm still trying to get better at perspective and more expressive poses :) It's definitely a New Year's resolution!

And of course some sketches from the past day. I'm drawing more traditional lately, too bad I can't post those sketches since I don't have a scanner :S
Another New Year's resolution is to draw more women. They always look so manly when I draw them >>;;

Postby Seorabol » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Seorabol

Have to say that I love your art, everything about it is beautiful and so fresh even if it is inspired by older styles. I agree with one of the posters above. Don't be hard on yourself about it! Some people might not appreciate your style only because it's uncommon in the mainstream and very western? I guess.
What I would recommend is getting more expression and movement into your work. It can look stiff sometimes honestly.
Yaoi, that hurts!

Postby rockmor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 am

rockmor

rockmor wrote:Holy shit, man, I'm blown away. Really love your lighting and that old-school style of yours :)

Thank you so much! Actually I've been drawing for a longer while hahaha :D However I've been practicing this particular style for only a year.
For the past year I've filled around 4 sketchbooks full of studies (the 5th one is almost full!) Drawing is more important to me than homework it seems, since I basically draw everyday.
On my DeviantArt I posted an improvement meme thingie, comparing an early work from Januari with a newer drawing from December:

I'm still trying to get better at perspective and more expressive poses :) It's definitely a New Year's resolution!

That's awesome. I'd like to learn about your studying process, because it seems to work :) My problem when it comes to studies is that I tend to loose direction really quickly and don't benefit from them as much as I want.
As for the improvement meme — I think I actually like the older version a bit more, but that's just because they are so different in styles and that graphic cell-shading style is somewhat closer to me. But in fact the both versions are great. I really love the lighting and color gradations on the second one.

Postby DRaff210 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:51 am

DRaff210

About your women looking too masculine - maybe try making her neck slightly thinner? It seems pretty thick and muscular to me. Not to say that we shouldn't embrace men and women of all different shapes and sizes, but I think your flapper gal in particular might benefit from a slightly thinner neck. :P

It's cool to see how you incorporate perspective into your drawings! It's something I know I struggle with a ton - definitely suffer from Mushy Form syndrome all too often.

Postby Grupk Gastauff III » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:38 am

Grupk Gastauff III

Your style kinda reminds me of JC leyendecker, you should study his art

Postby Koźlik » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:37 am

Koźlik

I really really love your works! You have a awesome and unique style! I love it! :lol:
I see very good anatomy and rendering in your pieces. And about the womans, I'd say that Draff's advice is good. You might also try to make the ribcage thinner at the bottom to get a nice hourglass shape of the body :) Increasing the size of the hips also helps!
( Don't worry too much about it, I know your feeling. I was drawing only girls and figures of all of my guys look so feminine now :lol: )

Hope to see more of awesome stuff from you!
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby N.K. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:47 pm

N.K.

Seorabol wrote:Have to say that I love your art, everything about it is beautiful and so fresh even if it is inspired by older styles. I agree with one of the posters above. Don't be hard on yourself about it! Some people might not appreciate your style only because it's uncommon in the mainstream and very western? I guess. What I would recommend is getting more expression and movement into your work. It can look stiff sometimes honestly.

Thank you very much for your kind words :) And I will!

rockmor wrote:That's awesome. I'd like to learn about your studying process, because it seems to work :) My problem when it comes to studies is that I tend to loose direction really quickly and don't benefit from them as much as I want.
As for the improvement meme — I think I actually like the older version a bit more, but that's just because they are so different in styles and that graphic cell-shading style is somewhat closer to me. But in fact the both versions are great. I really love the lighting and color gradations on the second one.

Ah yeah, the older version was made when I just started to make the switch to this style. It still has a lot of my old drawing habits in it, like the cell shading and the 'I don't know what I'm doing' coloring style.
As for my studies, I started with doing a lot of individual studies of body parts, especially of the head. Like I said, I filled around 5 sketchbooks this year and my first three sketchbooks have a lot of these studies in them (sorry, the image is kinda large).

I also picked up some Loomis books and combined theory with practicing a lot until it worked for me. Of course, I'm not where I want to be yet (I still have a lot of trouble drawing faces in different angles for example), but I can really recommend reading about anatomy too for the sake of knowledge :)
I know I have to pick up doing studies like these and anatomy in general more. However, I'm stuck in a bad health situation right now so I often prefer to draw things I already can, just to relax and to not overexert.

DRaff210 wrote:About your women looking too masculine - maybe try making her neck slightly thinner?

This is something I really need to keep in mind, since I still have problems with drawing necks haha! Thanks for pointing it out :)
Grupk Gastauff III wrote:Your style kinda reminds me of JC leyendecker, you should study his art

Thank you! And like I said in an earlier message, I already did (and still do)! :D
Koźlik wrote:And about the womans, I'd say that Draff's advice is good. You might also try to make the ribcage thinner at the bottom to get a nice hourglass shape of the body :) Increasing the size of the hips also helps!( Don't worry too much about it, I know your feeling. I was drawing only girls and figures of all of my guys look so feminine now )

Thank you :) I do like experimenting with different body shapes and for this character I just prefer to not draw her 'that' thin, if that makes sense haha.

Some more stuff:
Trying to redraw that sketch from earlier. Since drawing portraits like these are very relaxing to work on :)
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Seorabol » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:21 pm

Seorabol

I like the way you draw women; it's a good change from the pear/hourglass shape with thin waist that seems to be popular with a lot of artists.
What was your approach to learning anatomy (specifically muscular anatomy) and figure drawing? I'm interested in how you learned to draw from imagination with realistic accuracy.
For drawing women - maybe try making the shoulders a bit narrower and experiment with studying different body types.
Yaoi, that hurts!

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:37 pm

NesoKaiyoH

Awh man I love your work so much! It reminds me a lot of Call the Midwife and Peaky Blinders (because of the style), it's awesome!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby N.K. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 pm

N.K.

Seorabol wrote:I like the way you draw women; it's a good change from the pear/hourglass shape with thin waist that seems to be popular with a lot of artists.

Thank you! Yes, to be fair I'm not necessarily striving for that kind of 'thin is pretty' perfection. Also because the 20s had different beauty standards from nowadays, is that I'm drawing my girls the way I do :)
Seorabol wrote:What was your approach to learning anatomy (specifically muscular anatomy) and figure drawing? I'm interested in how you learned to draw from imagination with realistic accuracy.

Hmm, that's a good question because I don't entirely know the answer haha! I think that it's a combination of observing a lot, drawing a lot and memorizing anatomy facts. And I usually try to draw my figures 8 heads tall.

NesoKaiyoH wrote:Awh man I love your work so much! It reminds me a lot of Call the Midwife and Peaky Blinders (because of the style), it's awesome!

Aaaw thank you so much! Unfortunately I don't know both of the series you've mentioned but I'm sure to check them out soon :)

Also, I'm currently trying something with a composition but I'm not that good with proportions so I can use a bit of help.
[img]
I can also use some input on what to draw for the background (I was thinking about the front of a mansion, or a luxury garden).
But what I can really use help with are the proportions of the character next to the car. 20's luxury cars were huge, as they were a lot higher above the ground, and their chassis was usually longer. As a reference I used this pic of the same car (and Robert Redford, lol) to get the idea. However my sketch just looks off to me for some reason.
Help is appreciated!
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kam » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 am

Kam

Your stuff looks really unique, I think that's a really great quality that most people including me lack, the proportions look alright to me but don't be hard on yourself with proportions anyway, it's really hard to consistently get them right, a really basic exercise to help your proportion control and sense is trying to rotate basic geometric shapes in space while maintaining their proportions, you might have already tried it so if you have try increasing the complexity.

Postby N.K. » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:53 pm

N.K.

Kam wrote:Your stuff looks really unique, I think that's a really great quality that most people including me lack, the proportions look alright to me but don't be hard on yourself with proportions anyway, it's really hard to consistently get them right, a really basic exercise to help your proportion control and sense is trying to rotate basic geometric shapes in space while maintaining their proportions, you might have already tried it so if you have try increasing the complexity.

Oh thank you! <3 Yeah, proportions are very difficult. I ended up looking up specifications about the car and found out it's about 5,6 meters long ._.;;; Based on that I tried to measure my character with it.
[img]

But I grew tired of this composition, since it's a full-front angle which is kind of boring =_=; I'm sketching the same thing with other angles now, will maybe post those soon.

As for background other studies; I tried to draw a creepy swamp without using a perspective grid, and tried to make use of depth of field.
It kinda failed, since the trees in the background merge together too much.
[img]
And a value practice from today:
[img]
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fergato » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Fergato

Hey N.K. Welcome to the forum!
I really like your work, your sketches are so clean! How much time does a regular sketch takes to be finished? I mean, no cars, no environment, just a person.
Keep posting, and like Lilla said, don't be discouraged by being different, that's what makes us special. Otherwise life will be boring :)
Our learning path never ends... Keep practicing.

My Instagram.

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 am

DRaff210

I totally love the painting of the creepy swamp environment. The colors are so good!

Postby N.K. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm

N.K.

Fergato wrote:Hey N.K. Welcome to the forum!
I really like your work, your sketches are so clean! How much time does a regular sketch takes to be finished? I mean, no cars, no environment, just a person.
Keep posting, and like Lilla said, don't be discouraged by being different, that's what makes us special. Otherwise life will be boring :)

Hi :) Thanks! Yes, I have the weird habit to work really clean... Usually I start up with a rough sketch but that quickly gives me the urge to clean it up, haha.
Hmm, I never keep track of time when drawing but I'd say that a character sketch takes around 30 minutes. I'm slow!

DRaff210 wrote:I totally love the painting of the creepy swamp environment. The colors are so good!

Thank you so much!

Today I tried sketching some thumbnails to find a composition for that car picture;
[img]
But then I got the idea to practice interior and stairs and ended up liking the sketch a lot... So I'm cleaning it up :')
[img]
I haven't decided yet if I want to place a character in it. Either way it's a good practice for rendering environments.
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ragamuffin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Ragamuffin

Hey, great stuff here! I think any of those thumbnails could make for a good illustration.

I love the visual theme of the early 1900s :D

Postby N.K. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 pm

N.K.

Hi, thank you! I'm glad to hear so haha. Since I draw a lot of these '20s characters and environments it's starting to feel normal to me, and it makes me wonder if I capture the era well enough.

Still working on that interior drawing, it's purely for fun/relaxing and just an overall good practice for rendering.
[img]
Sketches are under the spoiler tag
[img]
[img]
[img]
Came across an older picture which I'll probably never finish
[img]

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by N.K. on Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Nymzo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:01 am

Nymzo

Only a year? You've got some serious talent man. I actually don't mind the style, think it's very refreshing. Thanks for sharing.

Postby Xiphor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Xiphor

Damn that interior is looking real nice man :D

Next

Return to Sketchbook