Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Azy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Azy

Subject title: Azy's Capricious Compendium

Poses from imagination. Trying digital again.
poses.JPG

Postby Azy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Azy

@DRaff, Thanks! The improvement in my gestures really reminds me that if I can apply the same kind of determination in drawing other things, eventually I'll get better. Honestly about making original work, I think I've completely fallen into the study trap of always studying and never creating. I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Whenever I draw from imagination of things I've been studying and trying to put it all together, it just comes off as obviously wrong to me and makes me feel like I don't know how to draw anything and that my studies have been useless. It's kind of embarrassing and makes me feel like a fraud when compared to others here. I could try using reference mixed with original ideas I guess, but it is so immensely hard to just change the studying habit I've fallen into. There is just so much to learn and I feel unprepared to ever do anything on my own, I know it's irrational and it sucks, but I just need to jump into it. Despite this I still have no intentions of giving up. If you have any specific advice on this issue I'd love to hear it. Thanks for taking an interest here even though I really don't have any work to show for myself.

@Telepurte, Hey, thanks for visiting my sketchbook! I'd like to do more environment drawings, but I'm a bit of a hermit and I live on college campus at the moment so everything around is quite boring and drab to be honest haha.

Trying my hand at a portrait to apply some of the stuff I've been studying, pretty daunting to work on. Some Michelangelo figure master studies that were assignments. And making it a point to animate regularly, it feels so weird and also extremely refreshing to be a beginner at something again, I have no idea how to properly animate :lol: . I recently discovered Krenz Cushart's figure drawings and studies, and wow, I think it reignited something inside of me, I need to study those.

Trying to get better pictures.
IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
WIP Portrait
ezgif-1-ccfc07e1c8.gif
e2resize.gif
e3resize.gif
resizep3.gif
stdyarm.JPG
eyes1.JPG
eys2.JPG
eyes3.JPG
forms.JPG

Postby Azy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:49 am

Azy

asd
face.JPG
four.JPG
Capture.JPG

Postby fi_le » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:12 pm

fi_le

Hi Azy! I'm looking through for the first time today and boy do I love the technical stuff. Be it animation, form or - most noticably - anatomy, you seem to have a especially nice hand for that. With just a bit of practice, you'll be really able to implement it into your more creative work, I think. Good luck!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Inkey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:22 am

Inkey

Yo! Those are some sick animations and studies you've been doing. I totally get the feeling of always studying but never using it for anything creative outside of the intended practice. Maybe it's helpful to think about ways to combine the two.

For example: Reference a pose but create a character out of that pose. Maybe try drawing the same pose but from different angles.
I personally like to do imaginative work immediately after a by the book practice, to see how far can I break the rules, play with what I've learned and get my creative juice pumping.

Keep up the amazing work!
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [DeviantArt] [Instagram][Discord art community]

Postby Telepurte » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 am

Telepurte

Ouh, I see anims :^)

For squash and stretch, try to visualize the ball has smaller balls in it and keep the amount of balls consistent when you squish the large ball in a falling movement or contact movement. This should help you avoid squishing the ball in only one axis and it should help you stretch it where the balls inside the bigger ball are just relocating to away from where the forces are applied.
I'm a big fan of how you write down what you need to improve in the exercise so I thought I'd give a tip for keeping consistent size

As for the brick, you need more easing. The longer something takes to accelerate, the heavier it seems.
That brick looks about as heavy as my words when I say I'm going to do something. Not a lot of weight at all.

Keep in mind that easing can effectively be defined as the gradual increase or decrease of spacing between frames

Keep up the good work, and I would love to see more anims!
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

Postby DRaff210 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:15 am

DRaff210

Azy wrote:@DRaff, Thanks! The improvement in my gestures really reminds me that if I can apply the same kind of determination in drawing other things, eventually I'll get better. Honestly about making original work, I think I've completely fallen into the study trap of always studying and never creating. I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Whenever I draw from imagination of things I've been studying and trying to put it all together, it just comes off as obviously wrong to me and makes me feel like I don't know how to draw anything and that my studies have been useless. It's kind of embarrassing and makes me feel like a fraud when compared to others here. I could try using reference mixed with original ideas I guess, but it is so immensely hard to just change the studying habit I've fallen into. There is just so much to learn and I feel unprepared to ever do anything on my own, I know it's irrational and it sucks, but I just need to jump into it. Despite this I still have no intentions of giving up. If you have any specific advice on this issue I'd love to hear it. Thanks for taking an interest here even though I really don't have any work to show for myself.

I know exactly how you feel; it's something I find myself falling into constantly. Lately, I've been finding that just *making* whatever you want to make, and applying studies and references along the way, does wonders for getting original work done. It's obviously easier said than done, but getting over that initial hump is always the hardest part.

Keep up the awesome work, man. :D

Postby Azy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Azy

@fi_le, I really appreciate you stopping by, practice and implementation is the plan, hope it works!
@Inkey, Thanks for looking at my stuff and taking the time to comment, means a lot. I'll try to give what you suggested a shot, although I don't feel confident, I need to step outside my comfort zone of studying. I've been taking baby steps.
@Tele, Thank you so much for the animation critique and advice. I still have an undeveloped eye when it comes to spotting issues in my animations as I'm so new to it, I knew the brick was very off and you were able to highlight exactly why. I definitely want to give the brick a few more tries trying to implement your advice.
@DRaff, Thanks for responding, glad I'm not alone in my feelings. Honestly your simple answer is completely right, it's something I think I know but just subconsciously push it away all the time. Starting is definitely the hardest part for me in anything I do really. I've been toying with the idea of just stopping studying completely and just making whatever I want for at least a week or so.

Narrowing down what I'm focusing on. Dumping pretty much everything I've done since last post, there will be a few parts.

Spoiler: show
IMG_0259JPG.jpg
IMG_0260JPG.jpg
IMG_0261JPG.jpg
IMG_0262JPG.jpg
IMG_0263JPG.jpg
IMG_0264JPG.jpg
IMG_0265JPG.jpg
IMG_0266JPG.jpg
IMG_0267JPG.jpg
IMG_0268JPG.jpg
IMG_0269JPG.jpg
IMG_0270JPG.jpg
IMG_0271JPG.jpg
IMG_0272JPG.jpg
IMG_0273JPG.jpg
IMG_0274JPG.jpg
IMG_0275JPG.jpg
IMG_0276JPG.jpg
IMG_0277JPG.jpg
IMG_0278JPG.jpg
IMG_0279JPG.jpg
IMG_0280JPG.jpg
IMG_0281JPG.jpg
IMG_0282JPG.jpg
IMG_0283JPG.jpg

Postby Azy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Azy

IMG_0284JPG.jpg
IMG_0285JPG.jpg
IMG_0286JPG.jpg
IMG_0287JPG.jpg
IMG_0288JPG.jpg
IMG_0289JPG.jpg
IMG_0290JPG.jpg
IMG_0291JPG.jpg
IMG_0292JPG.jpg
IMG_0293JPG.jpg
IMG_0294JPG.jpg
IMG_0295JPG.jpg
IMG_0296JPG.jpg
IMG_0297JPG.jpg
IMG_0298JPG.jpg
IMG_0299JPG.jpg
IMG_0300JPG.jpg
IMG_0301JPG.jpg
IMG_0302JPG.jpg
IMG_0303JPG.jpg
IMG_0304JPG.jpg
IMG_0305JPG.jpg
IMG_0306JPG.jpg
IMG_0307JPG.jpg
IMG_0308JPG.jpg

Postby Azy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Azy

IMG_0309JPG.jpg
IMG_0310JPG.jpg
IMG_0311JPG.jpg
IMG_0312JPG.jpg
IMG_0313JPG.jpg
IMG_0314JPG.jpg
IMG_0315JPG.jpg
IMG_0316JPG.jpg
IMG_0317JPG.jpg
IMG_0318JPG.jpg
IMG_0319JPG.jpg
IMG_0320JPG.jpg
IMG_0321JPG.jpg
IMG_0322JPG.jpg
IMG_0323JPG.jpg
IMG_0324JPG.jpg
IMG_0325JPG.jpg
IMG_0326JPG.jpg
IMG_0327JPG.jpg
IMG_0328JPG.jpg
IMG_0329JPG.jpg
IMG_0330JPG.jpg
IMG_0331JPG.jpg
IMG_0332JPG.jpg
IMG_0333JPG.jpg

Postby Azy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Azy

4. Final, until next time.
IMG_0335JPG.jpg
IMG_0337JPG.jpg
IMG_0338JPG.jpg
bsc1JPG.jpg
bsc2JPG.jpg
cps2JPG.jpg
cupsJPG.jpg
fcs2JPG.jpg
face1.JPG
facee3.JPG
faces2JPG.jpg
g1.JPG
g2.JPG
g3.JPG
[/attachment]
sk1.JPG
sk2.JPG
sk3JPG.jpg
sk4.JPG

Animation Stuff
ezgif.com-resize (2).gif
ezgif.com-resize (3).gif
ezgif.com-resize (4).gif
ezgif.com-resize.gif
ezgif.com-resize.gif

Postby Azy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 am

Azy

Long time no see.
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg
FullSizeRender (10).jpg

Postby Azy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:52 am

Azy

Wow, looking all the way back through the beginning of my sketchbook here makes realize how far I've come, and how far I still have to go!

(Just a thought, no images.)

Postby Azy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:25 am

Azy

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG

Postby Azy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:42 am

Azy

Lazy stuff.
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture7.JPG

Postby Azy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:20 am

Azy

Something.
Capture.JPG

Postby HankArt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:02 am

HankArt

Wow, that was a long four months. You've gotten a lot more confident with faces and heads, it really shows. That caricature stuff is great! I don't have much else to add except keep posting!

Postby Azy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Azy

@HankArt, Thank you for stopping by. I'm glad to know I'm making some progress! I'm not promising any constant updates as it has only caused me stress in the past, but I definitely don't want it to be another 4 months haha.

Little current feelings write up.
Alright, here we go. Gonna write a bit here to myself as I feel it helps me get out of my own head. So this has generally been the worst year of my entire life (dramatic I know). Not necessarily in terms of life events and situations (partly), but mostly due to the fact I've barely felt like a person for some time now, just very hollow. Guess I'm just at that age. On the contrary, I feel like I've actually seen the most improvement this year in art than any other time somehow. It's like I don't draw for 2 months then I come back and somehow I've greatly improved, like what. It makes no sense to me. Maybe my attempts to be less intense about improving and worrying about time have actually helped. I find it funny and also pathetic that I call myself an aspiring animator when I have barely even done any animation. I'm trying to not be too hard on myself, generally it seems to be helping a bit. I guess it just sucks that I don't have any art friends.

Just a bit of a thought, I've found that I don't really have a ton of interest in doing anything very polished in terms of finished artwork (I actually forgot that the reason many years ago for me learning to draw was to actually animate in a 2D form). I've found that I have always really liked stuff that has come a lot more intuitively, also sketches I find fascinating to look at, not that I don't like highly rendered finished stuff as well. Feel like I'm starting to let go of the feeling of NEEDING to create something for an arbitrary reason and starting to get back to my original reason for wanting to draw.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Postby HankArt » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:52 am

HankArt

I'm sorry Azy, I didn't mean to guilt you about not posting. By "a long four months," I only meant that I could see a lot of improvement before and after the gap.

I understand about feeling like an imposter, and I've burned out on art before from pushing myself too hard. I've always thought of myself as an artist, but I haven't seriously drawn much in the past ten years or so. Now that I'm seriously trying to get back in the habit, I've found that being easy on myself and not setting unrealistic goals, like you said, is really helpful. If sketching and intuitive art-making is what speaks to you right now, then so be it. It'll keep your hand moving till you find that you do want to make more finished work, or work on animation, again.

Postby Azy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:26 am

Azy

@HankArt, Oh it's no problem I got ya.

Thought I might as well put something up since it has been a while. Been drawing just about everyday lately so that has been nice. Trying to get back into a bit more studying but still keeping the fun stuff with it, which is a new thing for me so we'll see how it works out. I really need to start tackling my weaknesses as I feel I've always drawn for the most part within my comfort zone. Namely I would like to just start figure drawing and what not rather than fooling myself into skirting around it for the millionth time like a big dumb. (Someone hold me to that). Want to get back into animation hopefully soon, but I'm trying not to take on too much at once like I always do and end up burning out after 2 weeks.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

Postby Azy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Azy

What I've been doing. Fairly scattered out of order. Tried out some of that automatic drawing.
Capture23.JPG
Capture22.JPG
Capture21.JPG
Capture20.JPG
Capture19.JPG
Capture18.JPG
Capture17.JPG
Capture16.JPG
Capture15.JPG
Capture14.JPG
Capture13.JPG
Capture12.JPG
Capture11.JPG
Capture10.JPG
Capture9.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture4.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Postby Azy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Azy

333333goodone.JPG

Postby Azy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Azy

What I've been up to! (Also first post on the forum for march hehehe)
1.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG