Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Azy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 am

Azy

Subject title: Azy's Capricious Compendium

Hello all. Trying to submit this again as it never got approved for whatever reason the first time around, maybe mixed in with spam. Thought I'd start this online sketchbook to improve my study habits and get some feedback as I'm pretty much going through this alone. Been drawing seriously for 4 months now, 6 casually before that. In the process of upping my daily practice time to 5-6 hours from 2, has been going pretty well but still needs more work.

It's mostly boring stuff right now, so I wont blame you if you gloss over my current work. To combat that I'm trying to do one complete drawing of something everyday after I've finished everything else. Also going slowly through drawabox as I quit it many months ago at lesson 4, you can probably tell through my daily warm-up. That's pretty much everything I remember from my original post, I guess if you have any questions feel free to ask. Oh and I've been trying to wrap my head around intersecting forms so I would love some direction on that.

Should be in chronological order except for the finished work: http://imgur.com/a/fnONn
Last edited by Azy on Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Azy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:03 am

Azy

More stuff. Feeling like I'm getting better about understanding intersecting forms. Getting back into pencil stuff. The jaw is a really tricky shape to me, guess I don't quite understand how to rotate with different / more extreme angles yet. Any advice on heads would be greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/a/odQnv - Sorry about the image quality, best I can do with my phone.

Postby Azy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:54 am

Azy

More stuff. My heads are all over the place... Going to go through Loomis' Head & Hands book as soon as I can, although I don't want to tackle hands just yet. My first try at organic intersections, did worse than I thought I would honestly so I'll definitely be doing more of those.

http://imgur.com/a/JZKPH - As always feel free to offer constructive criticism or guidance.

Postby Wyntry » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Wyntry

I've checked them out, but it's a lot easier for people to comment on what they see on here. I think imgur has this feature but you have to share it to like a message and copy it. Photo bucket also has it where can access the direct link to the image as well. But with that being said...
I like what I saw. I definitely think drawabox is what's up. Keep going. :D
Last edited by Wyntry on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:36 pm

AlwaysARookie

Hi Azy, I can't really give you direction but its always nice to see other people on a similar path :) How did you decide what to study?
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby Azy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Azy

AlwaysARookie wrote:How did you decide what to study?

Hmm, well in a way drawabox is what I would say is mainly guiding my studies right now. Overall I'm working on form and space as a prelude to learning anatomy and gesture to hopefully wrap them together nicely. My ultimate goal is to be an animator, so I would like to master gesture and anatomy. I think I also need to work on my understanding on perspective as well.

Postby Azy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:16 am

Azy

School assignments are finally catching up to me. I've only been able to a bit drawing. I'll be back at it in a day or so to dump some practice here.

Postby Azy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 am

Azy

Here we are, haven't gotten to draw as much as I would have liked the past week, schedule has been messed up. Decided to relax a bit and mix it up trying some poses and what not from imagination. Breakin' out the brush pen.

http://imgur.com/a/HbAdi - I tried to upload through the site as Wyntry suggested, but both the file size and resolution are too big. Would just be a massive headache for me to figure this out now.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm

DarkLored123

Good stuff! I like how you do your line-work, very confident :)

Postby Azy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:38 am

Azy

Alright, I don't know why two of the images are tilted, so you'll just have to tilt your head. My camera phone is so shite, it murdered the colors in that cityscape drawing, I couldn't get a half decent photo of it, I promise it looks much better in person. Continuing on with drawabox lesson 3, luckily I have a bunch of plants in my house for whatever reason. Starting Proko's figure drawing stuff. Feeling very stressed in relation to school applications at the moment and making a portfolio, feel like that is reflecting on my current practice. Haven't been doing much as I should.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg
IMG_0381.JPG
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
IMG_0382.JPG

Postby Oblongly » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:55 am

Oblongly

:O oh snaps, I like the way you do your drawabox exercises, might have to take a few ideas from you. For example the way you were tilt/spinning the box in space. I'm sitting here like why didn't I think of that! haha. Seriously nice stuff, I just started on drawabox a few days ago and I think it's pretty neat so far. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
F. 21. Working towards becoming a professional concept artist/ hobby animator

My Sketchbook
http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73873

Postby Azy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:35 am

Azy

@Oblongly

Thanks! Feel free to nab my warmup and what not, I feel that it really has improved my line work in general and my accuracy. Look forward to those form intersections in lesson two, they'll bend your brain the first few times around, haha. Although, you'll probably be able to handle them pretty well looking at your sketchbook. Sweet animations by the way! I plan to also get into it once I back to my desktop in this coming week or two.

Postby Oblongly » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:10 am

Oblongly

Azy wrote:@Oblongly

Thanks! Feel free to nab my warmup and what not, I feel that it really has improved my line work in general and my accuracy. Look forward to those form intersections in lesson two, they'll bend your brain the first few times around, haha. Although, you'll probably be able to handle them pretty well looking at your sketchbook. Sweet animations by the way! I plan to also get into it once I back to my desktop in this coming week or two.

No problem at all. Yeah you have some pretty good ideas here and your right I'm starting to feel more confident in my lines as well. Funny you say that because boxes are giving me a hard time haha xD, I think I'm just now starting to get my head around it. I was looking ahead though and I found this video about intersections that explained it pretty well! Also thanks a lot, animation is soooo fun, time consuming, but worth it! Are you looking to get into 2d or 3d?
F. 21. Working towards becoming a professional concept artist/ hobby animator

My Sketchbook
http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73873

Postby Azy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:25 am

Azy

@Oblongly 2D!

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:18 pm

DRaff210

That colorful cityscape is really eye-catching!

I think your approach to learning is a very effective one, and I can tell already that your drawabox studies are helping out. Knowing this foundation stuff will make the harder stuff (i.e. anatomy) a breeze - definitely wish I'd taken this approach when I first started. :lol: I'm excited to see where your journey takes you!

Postby Azy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:10 am

Azy

@Draff210, Thanks! Drawabox is sometimes very overwhelming, especially when you start a new lesson, but I tell myself if I just keep repeating the lessons I'll understand and improve. Glad to see that is reflecting. Love your character designs and expressions by the way, could definitely see them being in a animated film or comic!

Today's haul, need to do more life drawing, so I drew my pencil sharpener, came out okay but definitely some glaring problems. Still need a lot of practice in that regard. Trying to get back to posting every couple days now that my school assignments have calmed down.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0384.JPG

Postby Azy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:01 am

Azy

Couple day's work. Absolutely love the way the author of "Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators" does his figures and gestures. Currently going through this book and studying and analysing his drawings. I'm making sure to learn and observe instead of just copying these. I'm even taking on the poses myself to see how the forces would feel and play out.

I feel like my torso bean's are getting a little samey, any advice? Thinking of moving onto the robo bean soon. Current output is 3 hours a day when I get to draw, need to manage my time better still, but I'm getting better about it. Going to add one life drawing per day and an hour of portrait learning to my current routine.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg

Postby Wyntry » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:35 am

Wyntry

I honestly don't know much about the bean and robo bean studies other than their relation to proko, who's the bomb. :) I'd suggest if you feel like moving on up, go for it. I really like to see the tenacity behind those studies, regardless. It's really inspiring.
Have a good Christmas! :)
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby Azy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:07 am

Azy

@Wyntry

Thanks man! Right back at you, keep it up. Merry christmas.

Postby Azy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:11 am

Azy

Few days work. Started the robo-bean, tried a few before these but got frustrated, think I got a system I'm comfortable with now, all that's left is to practice more. Output should be back to normal soon.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Postby Azy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:05 am

Azy

Not much this time. First time trying solid ink based shading, so this is just a semi-basic sketch, would like to come back to it and flesh it out. Any advice on it is appreciated.

FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg

Postby Azy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:52 am

Azy

Muffin.

Zzl8LQz.jpg

Postby Azy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:53 am

Azy

Personified Pizza.

I'm not going to guarantee any posts for a while now. I'm currently under the heaviest workload I've ever been in my life, on top of this I have to finish my portfolio by mid next week. I've switched to doing finished/semi-finished drawings due to my portfolio. Now isn't the time for me to study.

YFLDFpi.jpg

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:13 am

DRaff210

I love your food characters! So much life and personality, and the drawing quality is super solid. I think the ink works well with your art style, too.

Postby Azy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Azy

@DRaff210

Thanks! I was thinking of doing a whole series of characters out of foods (not exactly original, but whatever). I still am no where close to a style though haha.

Next

Return to Sketchbook