Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby PostBoxRomance » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:23 am

PostBoxRomance

Subject title: Fedodika the Koala

Nice work on those last sketches!
My sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2033&start=0

25 years old, artist, web designer and pretending to know what I'm doing.

Postby fleur » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:23 am

fleur

That skull is looking so awesome - good luck with the photo realism I wouldn't even know where to start...
And that little robot sketch is precious, it's 'ickle arms! :lol:
21-F-England

Postby Skyris » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:14 am

Skyris

Wow love those colors :D very soft. reminds me of those old master paintings

Postby Fedodika » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:57 am

Fedodika

PBR: Thanks, glad they're getting somewhere!

Flewer: thanks luv u <3

Skyris: Thanksssssssss!! goin for that kinda thing :)

So I almost died today, guess i'll tell ya that story. You see, i live in this kinda woodsy area (I know koala, but this is forreal).
and i decided to you know, get outta the house for a walk since i felt like my brain was about to pop as it usually feels. So i walked about
2 miles (listening to Elsiane) from my house to the lake, and there's no one out there for like miles. So i get to the end of the path and ahead
of me i see a silhouette of like a wolf or a big dog you know. And then another silhouette of a dog, and like 4 more. So i almost shat my pants,
a whole pack of dogs i don't know, i'm in the middle of the woods, no weapon or anything. I start slowly walking and they didn't see me, and i grab
a stick in case they decide to attack or something. I wasn't gonna run because you don't do that with wild or savage animals. i got about 150 yards
or meters for you non americans (yea america is stupid i know). and i just think okay they're not gonna follow me, so i keep walkin for a bit and
sure enough i turn around and look up the hill and there they all are looking down at me. I just freeze thinking, alright this is the last couple
minutes of my life, all the art practice for nothin, might as well have studied kung fu or sth. Then this big German shephard, pretty thing, walks
down to me and luckily he was friendly, and so were the other pups. I just thought that was terrifying lol.. They were lost domesticated dogs and
they packed up, but i couldn't take them in since they wouldn't get along with the dogs i already had. Plus they all had collars.
concepots3.png
pierre small.png
WIP
skulk small.png
Gotta try something simpler for the photorealism; this is too complex

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:20 am

Fedodika

I love serge birault, i mean this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Li6FD8ESmA/U ... 0/ana6.jpg

and this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MPFa1IgFWi8/U ... eneyes.jpg

Been learning

So fuckin good...

So i'm gonna try to do another piece for the SG contest since my last one isn't great I only spent an hr on it. Gonna put a few days on this one and try to knock out my photorealism assignment :O while im at it, no concpets today lol no energy for it, and i'll be away tom <3
sinister sister small.png
pierre.png
yea the 3d brushes in painter are kinda stupid lol
spoon.png
fooling with new brushes and colors n stuff
measurin.png

Postby fleur » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:52 pm

fleur

Edit: WOO NEW PAGE <3

I clicked on your sketchbook and it brought me to the first page but I thought it was the latest page and I was scrolling down this like "wait this isn't koala's sketchbook" "is it a new account?" "Is it an imposter..?" But then I realized it was the first page of your sketchbook :lol: you've improved so much

That period portrait study of the woman came out nicely but yeah the 3d brushes kind of look like plasters...

Only critique I can give is maybe clean up the edges on your studies? Like just by making the bottom study completely round and neat will make it look a million times better! :d
21-F-England

Postby Fedodika » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 am

Fedodika

Fleur: yea, that first couple of pages is pretty rough haha; hell this whole sketchbook is pretty rough lol. Though i take it as a great compliment you think my early work is that of an imposter or not mine, but yep that was me! That's what a beginners work would look like in a complete state of panic. Aside from that, thank you for the advice; the reason i struggle to be cleaner and slicker is because i've only made a concious effort to do that recently and this is why:

Spoiler: show
i understand my edgework is not the best, my work is very dirty and probably is a black sheep on this forum where, dare i say, most of the (better) artwork is quite clean and edged very meticulously. alot of people here also work with cell shaded styles and more stylized and less realistic renderings that are meant to be super tight. Thus, making my stuff an easy target for criticism as far as edges.

I'm trying to develop my own thing hopefully, and while i must practice edges yes, it is not my goal to have "very tight" or "very clean" work in the end. I want to have this very watery very organic sense of form that is not sterile or mechanical in the slightest. This is why i study oil paintings alot, because i sense that certain look in them. Like after it rains in the summer, there's this kind of beautiful softness in the air; it's very thick but where i live it is pinkish and quite pretty. I love the way that looks and the way like these images for example look.

You'd have to zoom in to see what i mean

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ttyMSI.jpg
http://www.ollylawson.co.uk/art/studies5.jpg (NSFW)
http://janaschi.deviantart.com/art/Stacy-349211576

It may sound strange but i also really love the very early work (2008) that algenpfleger did with his still life paintings. He had such a wet and flowing look to it that later abandoned, but i am really interested in; much more than his other works from 2010-2014. Even he is trying to get back to being softer if you see his latest stuff on tumblr, doing sports car painting with bristly brushes and interior stuff with soft edges

Really it just comes down to personal preference, but i'm making no excuses, as edges are definately something i'm very very interested in :). I am learning that one or two very sharp edges is what makes alot of images i love really work, so i'll try to use that and keep it in mind :>. I hate making long posts, but if someone wonders why i'm not cleaner/sharper at this point, that should hopefully clear that up :)
concepots4.png
cap thing.png
irene.png

Postby LuisEC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:32 am

LuisEC

The painted portrait looks very nice :) some more work on the hair and it'd really come together.

Postby fleur » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:41 pm

fleur

I know what you're saying, I hope you didn't take any of that to heart. Wasn't meant spitefully even if it came out wrong ^^
And janaschi is awesome xD
That portrait you've done look cool too :)
21-F-England

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:22 pm

sgtmikey101

Wow you had a huge leap of improvement. Nicely done man!!!

Fedodika wrote:Fleur: yea, that first couple of pages is pretty rough haha; hell this whole sketchbook is pretty rough lol. Though i take it as a great compliment you think my early work is that of an imposter or not mine, but yep that was me! That's what a beginners work would look like in a complete state of panic. Aside from that, thank you for the advice; the reason i struggle to be cleaner and slicker is because i've only made a concious effort to do that recently and this is why:

i understand my edgework is not the best, my work is very dirty and probably is a black sheep on this forum where, dare i say, most of the (better) artwork is quite clean and edged very meticulously. alot of people here also work with cell shaded styles and more stylized and less realistic renderings that are meant to be super tight. Thus, making my stuff an easy target for criticism as far as edges.

I'm trying to develop my own thing hopefully, and while i must practice edges yes, it is not my goal to have "very tight" or "very clean" work in the end. I want to have this very watery very organic sense of form that is not sterile or mechanical in the slightest. This is why i study oil paintings alot, because i sense that certain look in them. Like after it rains in the summer, there's this kind of beautiful softness in the air; it's very thick but where i live it is pinkish and quite pretty. I love the way that looks and the way like these images for example look.

You'd have to zoom in to see what i mean

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ttyMSI.jpg
http://www.ollylawson.co.uk/art/studies5.jpg (NSFW)
http://janaschi.deviantart.com/art/Stacy-349211576

It may sound strange but i also really love the very early work (2008) that algenpfleger did with his still life paintings. He had such a wet and flowing look to it that later abandoned, but i am really interested in; much more than his other works from 2010-2014. Even he is trying to get back to being softer if you see his latest stuff on tumblr, doing sports car painting with bristly brushes and interior stuff with soft edges

Really it just comes down to personal preference, but i'm making no excuses, as edges are definately something i'm very very interested in :). I am learning that one or two very sharp edges is what makes alot of images i love really work, so i'll try to use that and keep it in mind :>. I hate making long posts, but if someone wonders why i'm not cleaner/sharper at this point, that should hopefully clear that up :)

Postby Fedodika » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:47 am

Fedodika

Fleur: aww don't worry about it; i just gotta fight these battles with my stylus, i feel i'll fix a good chunk of em soon enough :)

Luis: thanks man, i just fidgeted with it till it wasn't bugging me anymore, and a little more details, i'm so sick of looking at it haha

Mikey: Thanks man, hopefully when i get some jobs i'll post a downloadable folder with everything i did digitally so the things in between me coming back aren't completely missing. I'd really like sycra to have a noob to pro sketchbook (or at least half of one), since he got me into this whole thing :)

stuffz
i'm callin it done, could do a lot more though, might not help much in the end
concepots5.png
gladd.png
irene.png
howmi supposed to find anything.png
30 min sketch

Postby Fedodika » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:55 am

Fedodika

I'm back! still tryin!
bags.png
concepots6.png
GRIPPIN.png

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:42 am

sgtmikey101

Fedo, we need to draw sometime, i just love your style and improvement!!

Postby Aenea » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:20 am

Aenea

This last page looks so good, compared to the first one, its a huge improvement and very inspiring.
Thanks for sharing, i hope to see more. :D

Postby fleur » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:07 pm

fleur

I like the color variation in that hand!
21-F-England

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:13 am

Fedodika

Fleur: Thank you :)

Aenea: thank you that means very much to me :)

Mikey: i definately would, but i only have limited access to the internet, not enough for hangouts and streams where i live currently. i am working very hard so i could maybe get some jobs and move to where i can get wi fi and hangout/stream all the time :D

So spent today messing with oil paints and i'm really terrible at them, because i can't lasso tool airbrush things, i actually have to mix the colors :(. But i did spend alot of today seeing how quickly i can define form with that exact same method! so que dumb sketches:
lotion motion.png
wahgly.png
raaaaaaa.png
sketchin.png

Postby fleur » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 am

fleur

That top bottle painting is spot on!
As for the oil painting technique I know what you mean, I went to paint something thinking at least I'd be okay-ish.... I wasn't :lol:
It's just going to take loads of practice like any other medium. Especially if you're used to the lasso tool xD
My sketches usually go to pot because I use the lasso tool to transform stuff all the time if I draw it wrong. :cry: guilty.
21-F-England

Postby Fedodika » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:33 am

Fedodika

Flewor: Wat wuld i do without u??? Yea i'm gettin better at it quickly though, i'll try to post something once i don't feel like i screwed some part completely lol

Big ole dump o stuff before i go watch mr nobody for the 15th time lol
boom.png
i luv.png
concepot7.png
concepot8.png
kjeans.png
shells.png
fleshlight.png
metals.png
metals2.png
santa toy.png

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:00 am

ErnieTheMighty

is that an onion

or rabbit's butt

either way looks fun

amaze :o

Postby You » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:50 pm

You

I think you are using hard edges very randomly. You'd usually have them when there's imediate plane changes, when objects overlap eachother(they also vary with material and what style you're going for but what I mentioned almost always aplies and helps depth)

Postby marvel57 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 pm

marvel57

Your'e really catching on fire! In the one year of your Sketchbook you have quickly improved. I like All of this last run of paintings, especially the glass of water and the hand! :ugeek:

Postby Fedodika » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:21 am

Fedodika

Ernie: it's too brown that's what it is lol

You: thx

Marvel: thanks man, if someone showed me exactly how much work i had to do to progress even as much as i have, i'd probably just quit right there!

So it gets to around 2am you're just painting some dude's short shorts you really just stop and ask yourself, "Am i even alive right now?"
ugly friends small.png
life.png
terri.png
1land22.png
11land.png
weak.png
metalz3.png

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 am

ErnieTheMighty

best thing ever

Postby fleur » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:03 pm

fleur

Aww this is well cyuuuuuuteee! download/file.php?id=17974
21-F-England

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:58 am

Fedodika

Ernie/fleurrr: HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE :>)

hey guys prolly won't be postin as much next month i'm really gonna be working on anatomy stuff, in particular are the hands. I have a set goal
in mind that's pretty ambitious and i will to achieve it if i keep workin at it :). I'm gonna try to do at least 1-2 colored hand studies each day
and i'll share the nicer ones maybe and a few material studies ehre and there. Here are some dumb sketches i did in pencil, the hands aren't my best
:>
born to rock!.png
BORN TO ROCK!!!!
blobs.png
sketch1.jpeg
gestures i kinda liked
sketch2.jpeg
sketch3.jpeg
sketch4.jpeg
sketcht5.jpeg
sketch6.jpeg

PreviousNext