Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:45 am

Fedodika

Subject title: Fedodika the rookie

still learnin, might not post for a while doing lots of boring stuff...
rachel hugggh.jpg

Postby kocab22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:39 am

kocab22

nice portrait, keep working ;)

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:49 am

Fedodika

my first attempt at a concept

the full res is here http://ksfedodika.deviantart.com/art/De ... a_recent=1

Suggestions on how to make it better are welcome!
fruit huntress.jpg

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Dream

Fedodika wrote:still learnin, might not post for a while doing lots of boring stuff...

I would describe studies as many things, but "boring" is certainly not one of them.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby perkexpert » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 pm

perkexpert

Great studies! I like the film scenes a lot....gieeeef MOAR!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Fedodika

Thanks perk! it makes me so happy to get praise from you! you're certainly one of the best on this forum IMO

Postby Fedodika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Fedodika

i wanna drawz pritty guils!
MULLET mAKES UY LOIJ.jpg

Postby thiagolupus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:08 pm

thiagolupus

Great improvement o/ your dedication is adorable to see ^^
Be patient please, I'm pretty new here >,<'

Postby Fedodika » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Fedodika

adorable? that's a good way to put it i gues... :oops:

Postby Fedodika » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 am

Fedodika

screenshot-med-12.jpg
DO YOU REALLY THINK IM ADORABLE???

some late night doodles...

DO YOU REALLY THINK IM ADORABLE????
doodles.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg

Postby Josian » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Josian

It's awesome to see you working so hard, Fedodika! Great work - keep it up.

What I'd love to see from you and think would really help you improve is by practicing "feeling" out the forms a bit more. What I've noticed with your work is that you focus on contour and getting that right practically first try. This is pretty common in beginners but really, really impossible - for everyone! Sketching is what we do to help us minimise the mistakes we're going to make - and believe me, no matter how good you are, you'll never manage it first time unless you give yourself some wiggle room.

Instead of going straight into a drawing, I want you to try being very, very slow in your build-up of shapes.

For example - this is an example of two ellipses. One I've tried to do on my first try, and the second is by loosely swinging my arm again and again, "feeling" out the shape.
6bcaf0b792cc54de029096c6f41e9a8c.png

Now some people might disagree with me here. Teachers like Peter Han for example, teach students control by giving them only one shot at the shape, and that's great for certain things. It makes a lot of sense for clarity of form when doing something like on-site sketching because with my example it's hard to tell which ellipse is the "true" ellipse, and so anything that's built off it will look messy. But what you learn later on is how to ghost your lines before you put them down, or how to have only the faintest underdrawing that doesn't effect the final picture at all.

I really think it will improve your work if you cut yourself some slack and estimate again and again, rather than hoping to get it right the first time. Although you will definitely improve with either, you'll never ever be perfect first-try, so it's best to accept that for now and learn how to "find" perfection through trial and error.

Hope this helps, but by no means am I an expert! All the best x

Postby Fedodika » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Fedodika

thanks so much josian, the reason i actually did that is entirely psychological. I was discouraged from making ghost lines early on by the criticism i had from my chicken scratching; i do notice when i ghost the form it winds up being more flexible and able to develop easier. My sketches never really look good i guess because they are so hell bent on getting it right the first time, you are right! My finished pieces (or finished to my standards) look better because i have the time to tirelessly chisel away and the forms; it also comes from me trying to be super fast with putting lines down that are correct, but i will definately try this technique more; thanks for the advice, i hope one day i'll be able to make something appealing that inspires people, since i know my style is coming to me, but it looks really unappealing and stumpy right now.

i jusss wanna make sxy stuffz

Thank you so much!

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Ambiguity

A word about chicken scratching:
viewtopic.php?p=24058#p24058

Also, Peter Han actually does teach students to ghost their lines, he just tells them to wait to put down the line until they can see it in their head:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... nArk&t=966

Postby SplitableInf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:29 pm

SplitableInf

Ok, I know this is off topic, but.... Lady from Funny Games? Like... the movie Funny Games? Because, if so I think you are like the only other person in the entire WORLD to know about this awesome movie... I mean, REALLY! XD
Somehow I ended up with an instagram??? That's how all the cool kids share their art, right??
https://www.instagram.com/artofamandanp/

Also I have like an art website or something....
https://www.artofamandanp.com/

Postby Fedodika » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:34 am

Fedodika

hehehe me and obscure movies... she is attached to another probably even more obscure reference ;p

Funny games was pretty good up until the long silence; that was just kinda boring imo, i did like the concept of it!

Also thanks amb, i actually watched that before, but only now does it make sense... strange.

Postby Fedodika » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:04 am

Fedodika

i... think i figured out how to half draw faces... i feel so dumb... it was just the techniques i had been using were so flawed they made undesirable results. That and taking Josian's helpful advice, and some application from a book on chiaroscuro really made it click in my head. I'm gonna go bang my head against a wall for a few hours goodnight
moar facez.jpg
GREEN LIZARD!.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 am

Fedodika

a few of my studies... :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pimnup.jpg
neth.jpg
selfie
skujlls_tmp001.jpg
da mofe.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 am

Fedodika

hey guys, been a while!

Be uploading more originals, please give me your critiques, even if it's tiny tiny stuff! i'm so excited about art again!

also, can anyone give me tips on how i can get better quality in the uploads? sometimes the resolution destroys my pictures, should i upload it smaller? it looks fine on my computer. i know it could be the edges, but they look blurred in the upload and fine on my computer even when i zoom in.
roadkill png.png
GIRLL PNG.png
Untitled-1.jpg
this is a little older and less finished, but i still like it :)

Postby Fedodika » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:40 am

Fedodika

some sudzies and traditional stuff from imag or mem
skoib ny boweg.jpg
aloph hitter.jpg
004.jpg
might paint this one... prolly not
003.jpg
it's an orc! the only one i will prolly ever draw!
002.jpg
barb dude.jpg
we all paint this dude at some point

Postby Fedodika » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:40 am

Fedodika

Hey guys, i'm going to start a project that has kind of popped into my head; It's going to be me concepting and
illustrating an entire fighting game just for my own amusement/experience. I have no clue what i'm going to call it yet
but i do know that all these characters are very sporadic and off the cuff so if they seem kinda goofy that's why.
It's pretty influenced by Soul Calibur, and super smash brothers, but won't be copying them heavily.

So here's my plan for the rest of this month

Each day i'll spend about 6 hours on one illustration for each of the characters.I guess i'll do about 15-20 characters
since that's how many days are left in the month and i am calculating in maybe a day where i don't get to work. After
the illustration i'll do some basic concepts for like alternate costumes, power ups, or even a silly story to go with
each character. I find that doing studies aren't helping as much, and using intuition seems to help me learn more.

The cast will be mostly female characters with big big heads, and tiny bodies. There will be some male characters
but at the most like 5, and they will be silly looking and charicatures as well.

This is a way for me to practice my process and see how finished and presentable i can get a concept and some images
in a day. I also want to experiment with some bizarre color pallets so if some of them look gross it's just me failing
gloriously! C&C are always welcome, i hope i can learn something from this and if you'd like to contribute anything,
that'd be awesome too!

I feel like i've developed a process for creating images that works for me for now.I work more now with tone than line
because my linework kinda sucks but i feel like i am better at seeing form with value and shapes. I start monochromatic
and try to get my values right. Every five minutes or so i pull up the color adjustment and keep lowering the value or brightness
and then add in more and more highlights and repeat until i can zoom out all the way and it still kind of reads. you
must have a strong silhouette too for this to be effective. Now i work in painter and painter blows with layers
so i am constantly making them and dropping them to the canvas so i'm basically on 1 layer the whole time. Once i get
the underpainting right i pull out a colorize layer and start rendering one piece of the image at a time, trying diff
color schemes like analguous or compl, whatever i find most pleasing to the eye at the time. I feel like this is
where you can really cheat as far as digital, just screwing around with all these diff opacity and hue adjusts, and in
the end if you don't like it just desaturate and start over, you still have a good value painting underneath.

Then once i get the image lightly colored i start with overlay layers and start trying to bring out the strongest highlights to
make the image not dull, or make it "pop". again the opacity/adjustment thing is such a cheat! I use all the information i've learned about
painting cool and warm colors that just comes from research/observation/ and really thinking about what is pleasing to the eye and
how do you make this form read as if it's in 3d space. Then i go in with the hairy painter brushes and start rendering; i use
brushes that don't have really flat colors like in PS, then i use a grainy blender brush to smooth it out and the smudge blender
to make it less sterile feeling. The rendering thing can take hours, but i really think that and the drawing phase are the most
important because rendering is easy once you understand it but getting a good idea down to render is the tough part.
I picked up alot of these techniques from watching Dave rapoza, brad rigney, bobby chiu, and alex negrea painting, as they
are my biggest influences as far as painting goes i guess.

Anyways, this is Avia, she is like the main character, it kind of goes with her basic and more heroic design.

Weapon: buster sword
weight: 75 lbs
height: 4'5"

Avia was born in france and raised by a family of pterodactyl humans. They met a traveling old dude who knew all kinds
of cool sword techniques. For a few years they let him live in their nest in exchange for fighting lessons. The
Dude then later in the night stole all their money and Avia set out on a quest to find him and tell him what's what.
She likes tumblr and finding cool things to do with recyclables on pinterest. She hates the water weight on her
tummy but she recently installed an ice maker on her Kenmore refrigerator all by herself!
goofy.jpg

Postby AlphaPetra » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:56 am

AlphaPetra

Hi,

I don't know if this is a problem with your screen, but you should use really more saturated colors. All your paintings look pale, and it removes a lot of life and energy.

And if I were you I'd drop this custom brush you're using, it makes everything blurry and uncomfortable to look at.

Good luck with this personal project, I look forward to seeing all those characters :)

Postby Snakebreath » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Snakebreath

Agreed, Id experiment with hard and soft brushes, its much easier to get solid edges and get away from that blurry look. Also try adding one saturated colour, and work from there. In this one you could make the hair really saturated, while the clothes and skin are more on the unsaturated side.

Postby Fedodika » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Fedodika

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAAbbuEpnw basically me every upload

ehh i think i got it fixed somewhat; i'm gonna use some less hairy brushes for the next one and get it SUPER TIGHT and try to not make it as dull

THanks so much for the critiques guys; this is a problem i'm really gonna try to fix with the help of the preview button!
0001 comic sanz.jpg
goofy.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Snakebreath

Did a small paintover while my internet was down, I feel if you push one colours saturation pretty high, and leave everything else relatively low, it makes everything pop more xD Might just be a style thing :P
Fed Girl Design .jpg

Postby Fedodika » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 am

Fedodika

Ey snake, thanks for the paintover man! I'm gonna actually try to work in more cartoony colors with these pieces since they are so exaggerated; i'll definately take that into account, tho it is definately a style choice for that one to make it kind of a tumblr picture with some of the blues pulled out of it to make it kind of warm feeling; anyways, this is Gerry, he has kind of a flat/vector feel to it; i tried to get it as tight as i could, it may be the DPI, i did this one at like 200 starting off, then i raised it to 250, i wonder if that makes a diff. it's easy for me to make fun of hipsters when i do practically half the things they do/enjoy lawl. i might do some quick alternate costumes for him and his powerups :twisted:

Gerry the Hipster

Height: 5'10"
weight: 110 lbs
weapon: his own ego

Gerry has a degree in medieval literature, but unfortunately his community college doesn't offer that class and he can't really
afford to move out of state to the college where he could teach that. He's dated the same underage girl for about 5 years now and still
lives with his mum, but that doesn't make him want to get a better job than working at the coffee shop. Sometimes he buys his
groceries with food stamps and uses the spare change he gets from selling abstract paintings to pick up some pabst blue ribbon for
him and his buds. He's seen The Comedy over 30 times now and cries everytime he sees the main character washing dishes.

His special moves include using pitchfork and spotify to deafen his opponents and he only relents after his quote is answered,
"I'll show you this band, post new age lowercase black metal!" and the other characters all must say, "Ahh it's too obscure!"
He also flings tons of organic vegetables at his enemies and laughs at how mainstream they are for using weapons and occasionally
wearing northface jackets when it's chilly. His biggest weakness is irony, even though he loves it; It keeps him from seeing his
own weaknesses and enables him to constantly seek happiness in his own cynicism and blind consumerism. He became a fighter in
hopes to raise money to pay off his long overdue student loans.

Also his thumb is huge from all the poses he does for pictures on instagram! he wears plain rainboots because fancy one's are too
mainstream! This description could go forever...
1check out this band!!.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook