Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fedodika » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 am

Fedodika

Subject title: Fedodika the rookie

hey thanks snake! yea i'm getting more into the detail sorta stuff, just gotta zoom in and paint it again. Always get a good reference tho that doesn't pixelate when magnified. don't worry about blending tho, use hard brushes first and get the values right; that should be more important. blending doesn't make things look good, they are more very last minute things when doing studies.

I'll prolly work a bit more on this pic tho cuz i feel like i could push it a little more...

Postby Dream » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 am

Dream

Really love the skull study, while it's not the same way i would have done it (as you can confirm in my sketchbook) i really like the attitude in yours and you didn't sacrifice much of the study value with the stylization. Really nice.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Fedodika » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Fedodika

Thanks dream! although i'm trying to get away from a style and make my work just realistic, but i guess then it would still have a style? lawl idk, and i wanted to thank ambiguity for showing me chris legaspi's stream it has helped me a ton! ps, the sharp detail comes from hard brushes and not overblending and rendering; make your values chunky with the hard brush then go in and steadily decrease the opacity till it looks sharp!

Postby Fedodika » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Fedodika

loose study of metal armour before i get to work on da challenge!
knight stud.jpg

Postby florentkch » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 pm

florentkch

noisy texture :) as far im concerned i think it's a little bit too much. I don't really know how to paint with thiese kind of brushed .but check noah bradley works .some of his paint has the same sense of noisyness. You may learn something from these( his other works arei great too :p)
My sketchbook : viewtopic.php?t=6697

Postby Fedodika » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Fedodika

thanks florentkch! i was trying out this chalk brush and it kinda overdoes things, so i'm gonna lay off of it. and i have seen noah bradleys stuff it is pretty awesome! I just wanna get things right hmm...

Postby Fedodika » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 am

Fedodika

helmet study, just used one brush for like 99% of it and airbrush for the light at the top
helm.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:41 am

Fedodika

faces study! some of them need a little more work; ugh learned a lot from this!
facesss.jpg

Postby You » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 am

You

Good work on the studies you're doing! Is that Jenna?

Postby Fedodika » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Fedodika

Yep! i found a little thing on google with a bunch of her faces; i was like, hey study material! couldn't get the likeness 100%, but i was just trying to role with my initial construction. She's gotten a lot better at singing too, from her initial videos haha
Jenna Rose Face.png

Postby Fedodika » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:37 am

Fedodika

did 5 studies today XD

gave myself an hour and half challenge for the last three

probably do some more detailed studies tomorrow to give my wrist and brain a break hehe..
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:09 am

Fedodika

some longer studies
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg

Postby florentkch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 pm

florentkch

it that a Mullins painting the alst one ? .i like this kind of studies.
May be you should take one and strat a more finished work from it :)

Postby florentkch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:13 pm

florentkch

it that a Mullins painting the alst one ? .i like this kind of studies.
May be you should take one and strat a more finished work from it :)

Postby Fedodika » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Fedodika

i think it's a Jamie Jones painting, i'm not sure... but i will try to take the pirate to a more finished piece once i finish my drawing for the arena! I love to have that classical painterly feel in my work!

Postby Devil's Trill » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Devil's Trill

Ah, I see you've done several studies on metals. (It's really challenging with all the reflections you can see in them too!) One thing that I would suggest is that you attempt to add more contrast to your values because the values of metal tend to jump drastically. I got some very helpful advice from one teacher where he said that placing your darkest dark right next to your lightest light should add some lovely contrast, befitting of metal. Just a sliver of the darkest dark next to the lightest light should make the highlight jump out and add more dimension.

When it comes to texture on armor, I think that it might be better to lay off the texture and settle with hard brushes so you can get more of a metallic feel to your painting. I usually think of metal as shiny, reflective, with a sharp and sleek sort of feeling. (Unless the armor is slightly aged, rusted, or dirtied.)

Also, when I'm looking at your brushwork, I'm wondering how you approach the sizing of your brush. I'm noticing that you use smaller strokes to indicate a single area of value. I'm not sure where I read this, but I've read/heard that it's best to go from biggest brush to smallest brush (I'm guessing it's so values seem more unified and clear in the end?). Try to keep your brush as large as you can before making your brush smaller so your values seem more decisively placed.

As for expressions, I think you nailed it. Each of the facial expressions are very clear. Keep it up!

Postby Fedodika » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Fedodika

thanks! yea i hate that picture i did of metal and it has too much texture; i will do another study of armor soon; and yes, i find using a larger brush saves a lot of strain in the long run; thanks for the compliment on the expressions! i did a lot of theater in high school so it's not too hard for me to feel out crazy expressions as i draw them!

I think every kind of life experience can help with art!

Postby Fedodika » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:09 am

Fedodika

more progress
Untitled-4.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:55 am

Fedodika

had a good time doing this one; didn't struggle too much.. lost track of how many hours

appreciate any comments and criticisms!

edit: fixed the eye (or tried to)
Untitled-4.jpg
Last edited by Fedodika on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:04 pm

wan

Cool sketchbook, I really like the pirate. (or musketeer?)

Skill wise I'm not really in a position to give anyone critiques but to me the eyes look a bit off in the last picture, one clearly seems to be looking up while the other at the viewer.

Other than that I think its fine, I definitely see improvement from the 1st works.

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Fedodika

hey thanks! i didn't notice that eye was off but now it really does! maybe i will check back with the reference. Again thanks for the comment! these sketchbooks are like before and after shots for people on extreme diets haha

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Fedodika

wierd girl; really tired of black and white going to try some color studies and if those don't work out i'll do more bnw

crits are welcome btw; i don't really know what to change in this picture to improve it...
001.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:26 am

Fedodika

Micheal hampton is a sexy man... This is everything i did from the past 4 days, I'm just gonna post every sunday from now on. some of these i spent a lot more time on than others haha; most the b&w things took 1hour and a half, most the color ones like 3 hours; surprisingly the drawings took the longest haha
Drawings are no ref
all paintings from ref lawl
derpenhaagen.jpg
skullz.jpg
sbgal.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
facny man.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg
FULL OF FIYA.jpg
hamptons balls.jpg
HUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUH.jpg
LETAH rebel.jpg
gah gah.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Snakebreath

You did a good job on that first colour study! But remember to watch proportions! I see you drawing hands a bit small in some of those sketches :D

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Fedodika

thanks m8! gonna be working on hands a bit this week since i've kinda fallen behind with them haha

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook