Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fedodika » Sun May 19, 2013 5:42 am

Fedodika

Subject title: Fedodika the rookie

okay; i did the emotion thing for the portrait study, i drew a crappy face underneath; i feel like the features are placed right, the distances are right; please tell me though, why does all my heads look so bad? how should i approach drawing them different. I used my construction, does it just take more practice? is there some particular thing i am doing wrong in each of my head drawings? or is it just proportions? I appreciate all feedback, but especially my faces because if i could just do those right that would take like half of my struggles away haha...
emotion.jpg

Postby Sin » Sun May 19, 2013 8:06 am

Sin

Well i did a repaint over your stuff... i mostly based how too see volume, draw ball, not circle, but ball imagine 3D objects :) Try just drawing balls made of ellipses, and when you're comfortable with it, then trace over them making face.

Postby Fedodika » Sun May 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Fedodika

thank you sin! i will give that a shot today!

Postby Fedodika » Mon May 20, 2013 1:56 am

Fedodika

YES YES YES! I finally feel more confident drawing faces! i know they look generic, but i like them so much more than my older faces; thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement! it may not look like much, but i spent all day on this page, and i really feel like i understand how the face is built now!
faces.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Mon May 20, 2013 2:02 am

Snakebreath

Good practice!! Glad your getting the hang of it! Confidence is half the battle :D

Postby Fedodika » Mon May 20, 2013 2:23 am

Fedodika

thanks dude! i feel like since i've learned just basic construction i have so much to work on, but i at least have a more solid plan and things to turn to when i feel lost; geez i need to put something halfway decent on this sketchbook soon!

Postby Fedodika » Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Fedodika

bug thing; i tried adding more limbs but it just felt cluttered; owell, i had fun scribbling it out!
bugg.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm

marvel57

Fedo-it's the process of elimination, it's Gotta happen :lol: :ugeek:

Postby Fedodika » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Fedodika

huh? whaddya mean lawl :lol:

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 21, 2013 3:36 am

Fedodika

sargent study; WIP feedback is very welcome! :D

I'm kinda stuck though; i don't know how to make the lips look less cartoonish, or the eyes feel more realistic; i feel okay about the skin, and maybe the nose could use some work, but i'm not sure..
cehhr.jpg

Postby Matthias Kinnigkeit » Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Matthias Kinnigkeit

Hey Fedodika! I´d suggest you to practice with value only before you try to tackle color. Take it slow and easy. To get the color right is pretty hard and kind of impossible if you don´t get the values straight. It doesn´t bring you so much in my opinion if you jump right into the hardest stuff.

Postby Fedodika » Thu May 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Fedodika

thanks matthias, i've actually been doing that, just kind of like testing what i could do with the colors; I am working on form/perspective/values stuff rn, and i appreciate the feedback!

Postby marvel57 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

marvel57

Fedo- I was trying to find a formula for drawing a head also, I was putting a circle template over some head drawing to see how much was actually circular. it varies a lot , but a circle is at least 1/2 of a head. :ugeek:

Postby Fedodika » Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Fedodika

yea marvel i just use one i learned on crimson daggers recently; you basically just do the loomis method and feel out how the more organic shapes of the skull kind of fall into place; this is a really sloppy representation of kind of how i'm doing it now; it seems to be working for the most part.. I'm spending half as much time on portrait studies now since it's easier to get the proportions to line up. Yea the circle is 1/2 head eyes are one eyelength apart, head is 5 eyelengths wide, lips line with eyes from the corners; all that jazz

did this in paint btw lawl
Untitled.png

Postby Fedodika » Sat May 25, 2013 3:44 am

Fedodika

big update u guyz... been workin hard with a pen too, it is very unforgiving... also finding that i really REALLY like classical paintings, and i want to make that a part of my artwork for good; also is my 19th bday tom; so prolly wont be posting any haha

I've made so many drawings I'm not proud of, but don't we all? it's the journey not the destination :D

i think i really really like ladies too idk...
Untitled-3.jpg
Lady 3.jpg
lady 5.jpg
002.jpg
sorry if messy; first drawing i did from imag in a while that i kinda liked
003.jpg
still life and quick doodles
001.jpg
sorry if heads are wierd, i just liked the feel i got with this

Postby Dream » Sat May 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Dream

Hopefully this doesn't bother you but...

Happy birthday.

I've made so many drawings I'm not proud of, but don't we all? it's the journey not the destination

It's a way of putting it, yeah. Many non-masterful drawings need to be made before one can get to a master level.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Snakebreath » Sat May 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Snakebreath

Happy birthday! Keep up the studies :D

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 am

Fedodika

more stuff...

Thanks snake!
Thanks dream!

feeling better about proportions lately, still kinda struggling with faces but not as much :)
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Postby Rakuin » Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 am

Rakuin

Scrolled through your thread and you have improved so much! It's marvelous, I wish I was this productive.

I redlined the shoulder here as it was a bit sunken in
redlinefedodika.jpg

edit: I also tried to redline the face as that is area you want to be better at right?
Mouth and nose were little too high on the face so I lowered them. Other way to fix it would have been putting the chin higher and that would make the face a lot rounder.
redlinefedodika2.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Tue May 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Fedodika

thank you so much rakuin! that shoulder was bugging me, i was more concerned about his elbow but i guess it would just need like one more line to cause it to make sense.

yea that face was a nightmare, haha; also there was something wrong with the skull, but i am glad if you think i am improving! still got so much to do!

thank you so much! :D

Postby florentkch » Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 pm

florentkch

hey feodika !
great effort on face studies...
I m working on it too..this is hard :(..

For your sargent study , you can add more darker values .
to help you to draw head, you can draw over the references you are using (layer on top to to ref)
sorry my english is so bad..hope you are seeing what i m trying to telling you.
just to help you to get the motion. Suzanne Helmigh suggested to one of her student to do that. (crimson daggers mentoring in yoface)

great effort , i like it a lot.
My sketchbook : viewtopic.php?t=6697

Postby Roger » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Roger

Fedodika wrote:yea marvel i just use one i learned on crimson daggers recently; you basically just do the loomis method and feel out how the more organic shapes of the skull kind of fall into place; this is a really sloppy representation of kind of how i'm doing it now; it seems to be working for the most part.. I'm spending half as much time on portrait studies now since it's easier to get the proportions to line up. Yea the circle is 1/2 head eyes are one eyelength apart, head is 5 eyelengths wide, lips line with eyes from the corners; all that jazz

did this in paint btw lawl

Loomis method? I dunno, I drop that method once I found out the middle of the nose is the center of the face.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:22 am

Ambiguity

Fedodika wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UPuEmgUEK8 watching this, it made me feel not as bad about my chicken scratching
Yeah, he made that in 2006, he has come a long way himself.

Anyways, you're doing pretty good with your proportions, however I think you're missing the overall roundness of the skull in your construction. Hopefully this will make it clear what I mean:
Spoiler: show

Chris Legaspi has a pretty good series on learning the planes of the head on his livestream:
http://www.livestream.com/artmentor

Postby Fedodika » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Fedodika

hey guys sorry haven't been postin been doing lots of boring studies... lawl here is a skull study i did crits always welcome.

Got tons of ideas for paintings, but waiting till i'm good enough to do them justice :D

*edit
Untitled-2.jpg
Last edited by Fedodika on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Snakebreath

Good job! I like the sharp detail (like the cracks) I need to do that more, but I always end up over blending >.<

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook