Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fedodika » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 am

Fedodika

Subject title: Fedodika the Koala

I have so many bad habits from when i used to draw; i gotta start beating them. my biggest problem is drawing heads from imagination; and maybe somethings with form, but it's mainly just heads :x. I have been doing some skull studies and i can get heads for the most part in profile okay, but it's just front view and 3/4s i have all the trouble with... anyways I've been lurking here for a few months so i feel like i know some of you guys, it's kind of romantic in a way... I'm sorry if i come off as annoying, i kinda am like that on forums for some reason :mrgreen:

I used to go on the absolute write forums for writing and stuff and there's someone on here named perkexpert who's thumbnail reminds me of how i imagined more than half the people there... :lol: I'd love to get to know you guys alot more and I think you are an amazing and friendly community, alot more so than Absolute write, even though i have nothing against those guys, just writing isn't for me.. I love art, and visuals... I've devoted so much of my life learning different skills like music and writing, but it seems like it was in vein. I'll just be positive though, i know those things will help in the future and i really think visual 2D art is what i will stick with.

So, this is a doodle i did that turned out looking like one of my favorite models Hex Hypoxia. I'll try to post here daily since i draw for most of the day anyways. Here's to getting pro quality ASAP! Cheers. :D
kitty_by_ksfedodika-d61ceni.jpg
Last edited by Fedodika on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Fedodika » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 am

Fedodika

Wow i just learned the andrew loomis method and all i can say is... Geez this is going to make all of this so much simpler! I've hated going all these years without a method now, ugh i feel so naive :roll: Owell, got a big pack of manilla paper for 6 bucks gonna rip through that soon, should be fun!
Untitled-4.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Zjacklee

Welcome to the forum ex-lurker. :P
If you have the motivation and the right mindset, you'll do just fine. ;)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Fedodika » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Fedodika

Color/value study if you see anything funky tell me! be uploading a value painting soon.
Critique 1.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:57 am

Fedodika

startin first job tomorrow... not art job tho :| owell i'll get dere! here is some doodles i did, i like the skull but you can see the top face that is upside down shows alot of my bad drawing habits and maybe the face in profile does too. Gonne beat those before june hopefully, then i'll be on the way to IMPROVIN!
studdy sj.jpg

Postby James-Logose » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 am

James-Logose

Welcome!

If you are having trouble with faces, I suggest you read up on some face construction. The Loomis book on heads and hands goes over that nicely.

I'm liking the photo studies, keep it up.

Postby Fedodika » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Fedodika

Thanks james! yea i have recently learned the loomis method and i am gonna practice the hell out of it! :D I will also be uploading a value painting later today stay tuned ;)

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:25 am

Fedodika

aight guys, finally postin it; will probably do some more of these since i feel like they are really helping both my form and understanding of values... Cyber goth B&W study
Untitled-5_bak.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 am

Fedodika

fixed her arm btw ;)

Postby Fedodika » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:10 am

Fedodika

more crappy heads; though i think the loomis is helpin me a bit; got his head and hands book on favorites ;)
heads2.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 am

Fedodika

some not so good handz. used sycras wedge method and i think it helped a good bit!
handz.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:11 am

Fedodika

K some more crappy head drawings stil ltrying to apply loomis; im gonna buckle down do as many heads as i can for a while i'm tired of sucking at these
:evil:
heads3.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Fedodika

more stuff; i have this book by giovanni picardi called drawing; and i like studying what he does... maybe if i go through the whole book it should help
pencil study 001.jpg
study111 001.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 am

Fedodika

All i gotta say is, thank you based Sycra... I need some method, and i need to practice them; tomorrow i'm gonna tear it up with these methods you showed me. Got kinda carried away with childhood doodles haha. :lol: I am the result of trying to create a style with no grasp of fundamentals; just don't look good
hEAD4.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:56 am

Fedodika

Finally, i feel like i'm getting a better grasp of the face! Boy i got a story for you guys haha

K, so i am new at where i work right? I'm 18, first job w/e. So i'm in the break room for lunch and this 60 year old man is sits next to me and he is watching twilight on his phone. After a bit i tell him; man that movie sucks. And i like explain on it, and tell him some movies that i enjoyed and he is listening very intently. I put 5 of them i liked on his phone and he gave me his phone number, i did not give him mine. So i'm standing around working later and he comes up and he hands me a note on brown cardboard paper written in black sharpie saying, "Hey, I hope i'm not messing up anything, but i think you are really hot."

So... I'm straight and I gotta live with that :shock: Anyways yea, i reported him obviously, and if he does anything again i will claim harassment. Btw i luv u guys even tho i only been on here maybe a week lawl... <3
phase 1.jpg

Postby Matthias Kinnigkeit » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Matthias Kinnigkeit

Hey! Nice start! You could maybe try to work on your lines. Try to practice to make fluid strokes. Sycra has a nice video about that or you could check out the traditional medium video from Feng Zhu. Try to avoid making all those little lines.

Postby Fedodika » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 am

Fedodika

Thanks matthias; i have just been really frustrated with heads haha; i will def try to make more fluid lines, I'm kind of new to digital art so it will take me a while to get used to making less lines; I will def work on that more and i have seen those vids. Now i feel a little more comfortable with heads so i will work on it more! thanks! :D

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 am

Fedodika

more stuffz, be uploading some traditional sketches/studies lil later
hads and hands.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 am

Fedodika

Hey guys big upload; had two days off and so many sketches i don't feel like scanning them all in... Feng zhu is such a baller erhmm... yea i just want you to know i draw alot so uploading every little thing would be kind of boring. so instead once i make something i am proud of/want real critique on, i will probably do the things i kinda like on sketchbook and crit worthy stuff on crit section. Mr jack is such a baller... erhmmm. got work tomorrow; ugh. Ily guys! <3
GAAAAJO 001.jpg
hayayayayay 001.jpg
oooooooo 001.jpg
STUFFZ 001.jpg
stuffz2 001.jpg
stuffz3 001.jpg

Postby Sin » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 am

Sin

You paper is so messy :( buy better paper, sharpen your pencil, get more different pencils - lik HB, 4B and 6B or dunno, and make long lines and with them try to follow form, if you do scratchy lines you loose focus in the work, and eye is trying to find some prevailing detail but it can't because you have so many little scratchy detailes all around your work. And i don't know how you get your rendering but if it's finger stop it immediately, finger art is only for professionals ;) and if you're in early stage of your education i recommend not to use tortillon or some other rendering helper becuase it will be confusing to you and hard... focus on outer contour, inner contour and try to follow it with linework, rendering will came out of it ;) check Ricardo Federicci's pencil work to get my point ;)

Postby Fedodika » Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Fedodika

hey sin; my scanner really ruins the quality of anything i post so that may be an issue. I do have some nice pencils it's just the scanner makes it look cheap, as well as the paper. As far as the second half of your post, I'm not really sure what you mean by "Finger" rendering? so you're reccomend i use hatching/crosshatching for shading then? okay, i will try that since i have been using tortillon for blending. I will try my best to stop chicken scratching, as i realize more and more my stuff suffers from it. Thanks for your input!

Postby Sin » Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Sin

I have met many people that use their finger and blur the pencil with them, you would suprise how many ;). And yeah crosshatching is the best for beginners, later you will develop your own style and gradualy leave it for something better, or you will upgrade it to the next level. And when you're comfortable with that you can then apply tortillon to your work and other stuff... but my really big recommendation for beginners is Kimon Nicolaides's book The Natural Way to Draw, because his advices in the start stop the bad habits and force you to have some organization in your learning curve. ;)

Postby Fedodika » Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Fedodika

This is for sin; i did this the way sinix kind of draws with the constant undo if he messes up a line. I just want to prove that i am listening to what you say and i want to get better. I looked up Federici and took a few of his anatomy sketches and tried to do as little chicken scratch as possible. I will try to apply this to my traditional drawings later; if i can find the undo button ;). Hmm, it's all just confident lines; thanks for pointing that out guys it makes me feel like my drawings are more tangible and read better <3
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby Sin » Wed May 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Sin

Yeah this looks much much better... and you don't need the undo button, just do another sure line over the first one you messed up, in time you will stop screwing up (it's just important to see mistake), avoid undo, and avoid erasing, especially for work that will see no one except you, because confidence is important and you will not build it up by erasing and worrying too much about mistakes... see mistake, say ok, i will do it better and move on, if you're erasing you're in mind loop trying and trying and that is the way to get pretty soon bored... ofcourse you will later use the eraser, but for start just ignore it and build up confidence. ;)

Postby Fedodika » Fri May 03, 2013 3:06 am

Fedodika

Well first i'll get the sad news outta the way; one of my heroes jeff hanneman (Slayer) passed today at 49 from liver failure and he was a great inspiration and influence to me. I don't know if any of you are into extreme music, but it was and still is a big part of my life, and will forever be, and his legacy will live in my heart forever. :(

after that; i have been using what you guys, especially sin have told me and using less lines to create figures. I have been so swamped at work that i could only do these three from imagination/memory today in painter, but i did about 50-70 from posemaniacs and from life from this little manican i got that i feel has been really helping me understand better construction. I saw that sin was doing like 900 sketches in two weeks, so i am going to work at that; i wanna impress you guys before the end of this year with something...

Your positive work-driven attitudes is really an inspiration to me, and i feel really alone in my endeavors sometimes, but i know there are other people out their with dreams and hard work ethics too. Thank you all for being there, and i am sorry if i ramble. Here's to improving and never giving up!
Untitled-1.jpg

Next

Return to Sketchbook