Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Snakebreath

Subject title: imcostalong

Great work, I tried this a while back with Sasuke from Naruto, its an interesting challenge trying to make the anime character look more realistic, but definitely helps you to see your weaknesses. Keep it up! :D

Postby wartynewt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:58 am

wartynewt

It's looking really good!
Take a look at my sketchbook and leave some critique!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8307

Postby imcostalong » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 am

imcostalong

done... coloring took a while too
princevegeta.jpg
Always looking for good critiques, help, and direction... There is always room for improvement

Postby Fedodika » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Fedodika

i think you really nailed the forehead :)

Postby imcostalong » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:14 am

imcostalong

i have a video coming for this one too... the Jason Seiler Method is working 10000x better.... :D slow zoom in and squinting..
iloveusycra.jpg
Always looking for good critiques, help, and direction... There is always room for improvement

Postby imcostalong » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 am

imcostalong

done... half the time of Danny SExbangs paint
HansomHanson_Nohomo.jpg

Postby kocab22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 am

kocab22

this last one also looks much better than the previous one.. It is always good to experiment with different techniques, squinting helps so much, here is just a small list of squinting don'ts from Richard Schmid:

1. It is not helpful to determin color. For color open your eyes.
2. It is not meant to be a way of seeing true values in subject. Actual values will be lighter with opened eyes (not for darkest darks, they are still as you see them while squinting). So squinting is for comparison which value is darker or lighter to one another, not for seeing and painting actual shades.
3. Some common sense is needed. Do not to try to simplify too much or on the other hand paint too small detail. If the shapes are very tiny and numerous, view them from the greatest distance practicable, so they merge to form a single value.
4. There is natural tendency to simply forget to keep squinting and open eyes to see vague are more clear.
5. Be careful of reflected lights within shadows. They are never as light or as colourful as they seem at a casual glance. Squint down at them and you will see that they are more likely same value as surrounding shadow area.
6. Never squint at your canvas! Always look at your painting with open eyes!

Hope it helps :). You are hard worker, keep going man!

Postby imcostalong » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 am

imcostalong

kocab22 wrote:this last one also looks much better than the previous one.. It is always good to experiment with different techniques, squinting helps so much, here is just a small list of squinting don'ts from Richard Schmid:

1. It is not helpful to determin color. For color open your eyes.
2. It is not meant to be a way of seeing true values in subject. Actual values will be lighter with opened eyes (not for darkest darks, they are still as you see them while squinting). So squinting is for comparison which value is darker or lighter to one another, not for seeing and painting actual shades.
3. Some common sense is needed. Do not to try to simplify too much or on the other hand paint too small detail. If the shapes are very tiny and numerous, view them from the greatest distance practicable, so they merge to form a single value.
4. There is natural tendency to simply forget to keep squinting and open eyes to see vague are more clear.
5. Be careful of reflected lights within shadows. They are never as light or as colourful as they seem at a casual glance. Squint down at them and you will see that they are more likely same value as surrounding shadow area.
6. Never squint at your canvas! Always look at your painting with open eyes!

Hope it helps :). You are hard worker, keep going man!

thanks buddy! but I didn't squint the whole time lol.. just for the first couple of zooms and value checks... color was added much later with adjustment layers.. I just decided to keep it super loose and the color super desaturated :P but thanks for the tips haha I mean here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXXd6PjJ9Q

Postby kocab22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:28 pm

kocab22

Nice video.. good to see your progress. The points I mentioned about squinting was just to share knowledge. It is from book Alla Prima from Richard Schmid- amazing book full of really great tips for fine artist, but tons of that can be applied also for digital painting..

Postby imcostalong » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:40 pm

imcostalong

kocab22 wrote:Nice video.. good to see your progress. The points I mentioned about squinting was just to share knowledge. It is from book Alla Prima from Richard Schmid- amazing book full of really great tips for fine artist, but tons of that can be applied also for digital painting..

Ahh understood.. :P

did another quickie..

video too http://youtu.be/x6nkHZcDy7E
comicbookgirl19.jpg

Postby imcostalong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 am

imcostalong

another anime to reality
Untitled-7.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Ambiguity

I tried to do Spike in a semi-realistic style a few years ago before I had any fundamental knowledge, it didn't go so well haha.
"...just wanna stab everything" - Skyris on puberty
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
My pile of crap(Sketchbook): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1781
My Deviantart: http://graphics-pp.deviantart.com

Postby imcostalong » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm

imcostalong

this has been a huuuggeee headache.. dont worry about eye distance.. will fix
spikespiegel.jpg

Postby imcostalong » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:31 pm

imcostalong

too many issues.. decided to restart.. new angle, new values... this thumb is working better in likeness and readibility
spikespiegel2.jpg

Postby imcostalong » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:29 pm

imcostalong

i made the right call
spikespiegel2.jpg

Postby imcostalong » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:30 pm

imcostalong

i think... it feels like spike.. thoughts..
spikespiegel2.jpg

Postby imcostalong » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 pm

imcostalong

no we're getting somwhere!!
spikespiegel2.jpg

Postby wartynewt » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:47 pm

wartynewt

Looking good! smart choice to start over again, the pose is way better!
Take a look at my sketchbook and leave some critique!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8307

Postby imcostalong » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

imcostalong

i just keep pushing the values :P
spikespiegel2.jpg

Postby imcostalong » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:12 pm

imcostalong

i will fucking catch you rapoza... will clean up the details here soon... trying out super rendering
spikespiegel2.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook