Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 pm

sgtmikey101

Subject title: Mike's Sketchbook

some quick skull studies with my pen. Tried to fit as many as i could onto one page. I seriously need to get some white out lol.
Picture 50.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:41 pm

sgtmikey101

some more
Picture 51.jpg
Picture 52.jpg
Picture 53.jpg
Picture 54.jpg
Picture 55.jpg
Picture 56.jpg
Picture 57.jpg
Picture 58.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm

sgtmikey101

Some more drawings from the past two weeks. I didn't include my other half of my sketchbook because its cruddier than some of the stuff i'm uploading. Some of them are hard to tell, so ill avoid using pencil on newsprint in upcoming month
Picture 58.jpg
Picture 59.jpg
Picture 60.jpg
Picture 61.jpg
Picture 62.jpg
Picture 63.jpg
Picture 64.jpg
Picture 65.jpg
Picture 66.jpg
Picture 67.jpg
Picture 68.jpg
Picture 69.jpg
Picture 70.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:33 pm

sgtmikey101

some more
Picture 71.jpg
Picture 72.jpg
Picture 73.jpg
Picture 74.jpg
Picture 75.jpg
Picture 76.jpg
Picture 77.jpg
Picture 78.jpg
Picture 79.jpg
Picture 80.jpg
Picture 81.jpg
Picture 82.jpg
Picture 83.jpg
Picture 84.jpg
Picture 85.jpg
Picture 86.jpg
Picture 87.jpg
Picture 88.jpg
Picture 89.jpg
Picture 90.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:38 pm

sgtmikey101

Some more!
Picture 91.jpg
Picture 92.jpg
Picture 93.jpg
Picture 94.jpg
Picture 95.jpg
Picture 96.jpg
Picture 97.jpg
Picture 98.jpg
Picture 99.jpg
Picture 100.jpg
Picture 101.jpg
Picture 102.jpg
Picture 103.jpg
Picture 104.jpg
Picture 105.jpg
Picture 106.jpg
Picture 107.jpg
Picture 108.jpg
Picture 109.jpg
Picture 110.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

sgtmikey101

Even more sigh lol
Picture 111.jpg
Picture 112.jpg
Picture 113.jpg
Picture 114.jpg
Picture 115.jpg
Picture 116.jpg
Picture 117.jpg
Picture 118.jpg
Picture 119.jpg
Picture 120.jpg
Picture 121.jpg
Picture 122.jpg
Picture 123.jpg
Picture 124.jpg
Picture 125.jpg
Picture 126.jpg
Picture 127.jpg
Picture 128.jpg
Picture 129.jpg
Picture 130.jpg
Picture 131.jpg
Picture 132.jpg
Picture 133.jpg
Picture 134.jpg
Picture 135.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

sgtmikey101

last two
Picture 136.jpg
Picture 137.jpg

Postby perkexpert » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:55 pm

perkexpert

Hi, nice you posted some stuff, i actually see some improvement in linequality and overall boldness, but to me the greatest flaw is lack of depth and really looking closely. Most of your drawings did take you only some minutes i guess. Noodling and drawing a lot is good, but as i said, i guess it would do you some good to really focus on one theme at a time. E.g. why didn't you finish the portrait you posted earlier? Try to get a really good result. Really look at those eyes. Draw them. Watch closely, flip canvas, zoom in, out, do eye studies, return, refine even more. I can only encourage you to start a serious attempt at a slightly bigger project but one you can tackle, you have the skills, no doubt. You only need the focus! If the urge comes to begin something new, because you think you attempt sucks, don't. Go in where the (mental) pain is to shy away. If you don't see anything, post it here, then go in again with the things you might see as ppl did give you critique. Analyse, go in once again, draw once more. So...good luck and have a cool weekend!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 pm

sgtmikey101

Which portrait are you talking about again. I'm not really going to focus on one project at the moment because I'm in the process of moving. I don't have any of my art supplies or computers to make a refined digital image. All i really have is a stack of news print and a pen. Half of the images i did were either gesture drawings or trying to figure out the form I wanted to obtain. Alot of them are scratchy and such but alot of them you can see layers of pen with my corrections of where i should have gone or just me trying to draw another layer to show myself how to improve it since i don't have an eraser. I appreciate your post and I'll make an actual project on the 24th when I move into my new place. As for all my images that are crammed on to one page thats because I don't have alot of paper to begin with. I have two more sheets left and I try to use all the space up. Plus there are some little doodles here and there which is warm up exercises I found from William Terrel. You should try them sometime they are fun! :D

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am

Dream

Aside from what Perkexpert said, i'm seeing a crippling lack of construction lines or other methods of achieving solidity. May i venture in saying that you don't have much background/experience with art books or any art resources outside school? If so, i would highly recommend you to fix that, and since you apparently have a working internet connection it shouldn't be hard at all.

Also it shouldn't really matter if you have a tablet or not at this point, even if you are aiming for digital art.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Ambiguity

sgtmikey101 wrote:Which portrait are you talking about again.

This one:
Spoiler: show

sgtmikey101 wrote:Plus there are some little doodles here and there which is warm up exercises I found from William Terrel. You should try them sometime they are fun! :D
That guy won't stop popping back into my life ever since I met him a local con' a few months ago. I was surprised when I logged onto YouTube the other day and saw Sycra had posted an interview with him.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:29 am

sgtmikey101

Oh that portrait i have an updated version of that i did four weeks ago lol. Yeah will terrel is awesome!

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 am

sgtmikey101

Dream wrote:Aside from what Perkexpert said, i'm seeing a crippling lack of construction lines or other methods of achieving solidity. May i venture in saying that you don't have much background/experience with art books or any art resources outside school? If so, i would highly recommend you to fix that, and since you apparently have a working internet connection it shouldn't be hard at all.

Also it shouldn't really matter if you have a tablet or not at this point, even if you are aiming for digital art.

I've actually read alot of art books since thats all i do in school anymore lol. Its just applying whats in the book to real life is the problem. I mentally understand what i'm supposed to do but i can't make anything clear. Then to make matters worse i'll make stuff light with pen and when i get super far into a project i'll notice something is off and i'll draw over it darker and darker making corrections where things should be since i don't have an eraser with me at the time. Its prlly better than i'm recognizing my errors and trying to draw over it then ignoring them like i used to

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:57 am

sgtmikey101

If you have any good books to recommend i'm all ears

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 am

sgtmikey101

something i was working on for four hours last night. Stupid muddy values and smudge tool yarg! lol
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 pm

sgtmikey101

i went back to one of my old study's to see if i could spruce it up a bit. Just put another hour in and the values are blended a tad better. Just stuck at trying to add the darker values on the face without messing it up.
ssssss.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:33 am

sgtmikey101

I just had a breakthrough guys. I've been in a massive slump since 2012 and because of it i've been avoiding art. Thinking OH its not meant to be situation. So in response every week i've been trying to draw, not forcing myself like i did a few months ago but doing it because i want to. About when i moved into my new house in september I drew recreationally. I didn't make any finished works and typically i didn't spend much time on some of them.

That last statement may sound flawed but I set a goal to not make a product looked finished just for the sake of having something done. I sort of adopted the whole gesture drawing theme and ran with it. I did pixel lovely and sites similar to it, but what really helped me find my stride was going to deviant art and finding one aspect I liked from random pictures (often times clicking on whats hot to find the best of the best) and focusing in on that particular aspect only. I didn't particularly like doing this at first because it was discouraging and my mindset made it seem like everything was impossible. I was stuck in this whole school sort of mind that made it seemed like everything was going to be harshly critiqued and graded.

Breaking that habbit seemed immovable, but in the end its to be expected when twenty years of my life were focused on getting prodded around for my school work. Taking that aspect away i could begin to focus on what made pictures great without worrying about reproducing the whole picture. Overtime I did end up reproducing the whole picture but keeping it in just a wireframe set up backed with the little of knowledge i've been picking up over the months. I wasn't avoiding recreating the picture 1 for 1 but honed in onto the underlying skeleton that made up the picture. In the past this sort of stuff bored me, but now there's an appreciation and understanding of why its there to begin with. I was like a kid in a baking class who wanted to do nothing but eat and get to the good stuff, without actually taking the steps. I wanted to fly without learning how to walk.

One last bit of insight i'd like to state, is the use of pen. Last summer all i had around my house was pens, most my pencils would be dull or worn out and combining that with crappy newsprint wasn't a good combo. Even though my natural tendency was to erase, I avoided the act because it simply didn't exist with pen. Everything was rough at first but I trained myself to make things as rough as possible to tell myself its okay if its rough at first. I did silhouettes and drew blocked out the simple shapes of the body but didn't focus on the result.
As time went on I focused on drawing cleaner and lighter, avoiding unintentional lines. As expected my lines did get cleaner and lighter and areas, but that came with time (I expect it to get even more cleaner with time). Don't get me wrong my stuff still is rough but i work with it, in matter of fact i build off of the rough shapes and draw over them just for the sake of understanding. If you have an object that is hard to draw, rough it out make overlapping loops, do what you have to do to understand it.

In essence I made a crud ton of improvement that i've struggled to see in the past because it appeared to be not present. One of the biggest factors in my improvement was buying a new sketchbook and drawing everything i see, meaning if i was on facebook and someone posted a meme picture I'd draw that. Eventually i'd draw it in my own style. I accepted that I may not be the cleanest artist... yet..., but having the necessary shapes to build upon is crucial. Afterall if we want our works to be clean, we can just turn to good old photoshop to help with that.

Postby Shao » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 am

Shao

cant read all what you typed but still good luck ;)

Postby Nysta » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:35 am

Nysta

I did actually read it yesterday..^^ But honestly.. I think we're all different so we have to find different solutions as well xD

Postby Zearthus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 am

Zearthus

Definitely going to some sort of situation like that. Reading your perspective way of seeing it, actually made me wonder what I'm currently struggling with. And if I will let that particular thing be a hindrance to me, or just do my part and have fun on the long run? Thanks!
BEHANCE: https://www.behance.net/brian-hermelijn
SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8158&hilit=Zearthus&start=540

"I do not sugarcoat, rather I write my honest opinion"

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:14 am

sgtmikey101

brianhermelijn wrote: Definitely going to some sort of situation like that. Reading your perspective way of seeing it, actually made me wonder what I'm currently struggling with. And if I will let that particular thing be a hindrance to me, or just do my part and have fun on the long run? Thanks!

It's nice to hear that i'm not alone in this and others go through the same thing. I think we all have our own struggles and battles when it comes to making art. Those who are successful find ways to deal with their problems and conquer them. Some people just ignore them and continue onwards. Either way we all need to discover what we lack and we need to remedy these problems.

To be honest there is no end game. I don't think i've met an artist who makes it to their goal and say well thats it I've accomplished everything. Every artist sucks at something. I believe i heard akira toriyama say in an interview once that he wishes that he worked more on anatomy studies. Which sounds funny to an outsider because it looks perfect to me.

What changed my view on art was the idea that i should change how i practice it. I've went through phases where i acted like art was rocket science and had to be learned in that way. Then i went through phases where i thought it should all be random doodling and relaxed. What has worked for me is using art as meditation. Yes meditation can be viewed as relaxation, but in actuality it is the combination of relaxation and observation.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:47 pm

sgtmikey101

Hey guys i was wondering if it'd be fine if i took other forum members drawings and redraw them in my own interpretation or just copies strictly for learning. I heard something once if you try to learn how someone painted something through the process of a redraw, you learn how they overcame problems and developed solutions to meet those problems.

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:44 am

Ambiguity

Go for it, I keep riding You's coattails lol.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:54 pm

sgtmikey101

Thanks ambiguity! I can't wait to start!

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:03 am

sgtmikey101

An art question. So i was wondering if anyone else has this problem where instead of seeing static images in their heads, they see always moving and everchanging images. When i was younger i found it annoying that i couldn't draw what was in my head because what i saw in my head was awesome. I could see the image for its full detail. But now its the reverse i see multiple images that overlap the image. It can be described as seeing a slideshow of images and i'm just trying to sift through the slides to find the original slide that caught my eye. I feel it hinders what i can draw now because instead of drawing whats from my head and my visual library i'm now just copying images and not making my own.

Sure there is a place for reference but its odd that i can't think of a way to apply my references to an image in my head.

If anyone has strategies to deal with this let me know.

I've come up with some possible ideas on whats causing this, perhaps i watch too much tv or that i see too many images in a day. Perhaps its because i have filled my harddrive in my mind with stress and excessive data.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook