Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:23 am

sgtmikey101

Subject title: Mike's Sketchbook

Bummer the file size on my scans are too large. Instead of uploading all of them i may just post some of the ones that interest me.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 am

sgtmikey101

Here is something i worked on for about two hours. I used tons of reference and I'm still on the rough sketch. I just want things to be right. I fought hard to do the best i can do with proportions while experimenting with foreshortening. Nothing is set in stone so i want ideas on what could be changed. I obviously haven't added the finer details yet, but that is next. I don't want to submerge to far into this and then lone behold have proportions way off.

The foot on the right looks off but i'll import another pic of the sort of style i was going for. I wanted to combine a few styles but i obviously had trouble with that.
Still Learning.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:30 am

sgtmikey101

here is sort of the style i want to emulate. I don't want to swag jack him (afterall him and I are friends lol), but i want to have over the top perspective.
n_e_o_n_manga__ion__by_metalhanzo-d3h3pug.jpg
Sorry if this is grainy, it was a high quality pic until i changed the image size in photoshop

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 am

sgtmikey101

here is how i wanted the proportion sizing to be like. Any suggestions on how to fix my proportions or draw them better. I know the whole 7 heads high bit, but that only seems to work for me when someone is standing perfectly straight. Perhaps i should just draw something until it looks allright to me. All suggestions are welcomed.
Proportions of raiden picture.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:37 am

sgtmikey101

I also like how clean the neon picture is. I am curious if he goes over his final sketch with the pen tool(I think thats what its called). I know photoshop elements or atleast the version i'm using doesn't have it. I've used it at school and i love how much smoother sketches come out opposed to manually doing it in ps.

Postby Zjacklee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Zjacklee

sgtmikey101 wrote:I also like how clean the neon picture is. I am curious if he goes over his final sketch with the pen tool(I think thats what its called). I know photoshop elements or atleast the version i'm using doesn't have it. I've used it at school and i love how much smoother sketches come out opposed to manually doing it in ps.

that looks pretty cool indeed. But i think this one has been done manually. (if you look really closely, the line is not one smooth stroke in some places. The pen tool in photoshop tends to make lines really dull, plain and lifeless. But this one doesn't have that and feels more natural. )

For your proportions too.... have you tried constructing your character with a wire-framed stick figure and some simple shapes?
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:30 pm

sgtmikey101

That is a good eye you have zack. Yeah that one doesn't seem artificial like the pen tool. I don't have a wire framed stick figure thingy lol. But i did construct simple shapes. When i construct simple shapes, objects perspectives and proportions get messy for me. I'll show you an example in a bit, if i can find one.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 am

sgtmikey101

Hey guys I'm finally back! Sorry I've been away I've had some things come up with work and school, still floundering to find time to draw. But I keep trying to doodle during class, I just don't know what more i can cut from daily schedule.

Here's something I was playing around with recently. Just trying some things out and trying to figure out how to make leather, adjusting lighting, playing with perspectives, painting chrome.
daft.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:58 am

sgtmikey101

IDK if this is cheating or not, but i had trouble copying this reference picture so i drew ontop of that to get the face shape close and the eye and mouth positioning accurate. I've been having trouble lately doing that and I haven't drawn with my tablet in a while so it feels really awkward. So i spent the past hour and a half using the smudge tool trying to value this face. Its obviously not complete but looks better than most the crap i turn out. I can't wait for the day that I can draw realistic images from my head and not copying pictures. I also am fully aware that i need it to be darker shading on the right half of the face, which i've tried and it looks messed up lol.
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:59 am

sgtmikey101

eye shape and mouth shape will change soon. But i think i've invested way to much time into this

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:14 am

sgtmikey101

Random question to people stopping at my sketchbook. Does anyone know how to resize a large group of photos instead of doing them individually. I've been wanting to upload my sketchbook that i scanned to my computer but the image sizes exceed the correct size of the forum.

Postby virtueone » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 am

virtueone

sgtmikey101 wrote:Random question to people stopping at my sketchbook. Does anyone know how to resize a large group of photos instead of doing them individually. I've been wanting to upload my sketchbook that i scanned to my computer but the image sizes exceed the correct size of the forum.

Photoshop has Automation tools you can use to help with that. You should probably search for a tutorial on the topic "Photoshop Batch Automation" for more in-depth information, but here's some quick info to get you started....

- Make a backup folder for your scans (so no files get over-written)
- In Photoshop, show the "Actions" Window. (Window > Actions)
- Create a new action, name it whatever [it will start recording], then do your resizing. Once finished, click the stop button (next to the record button within the Actions window).
- Once you have recorded an Action within Photoshop, then you can Batch Automate it. Go to, File > Automate... Configure you're options and click Ok.

That's it. You'll need to play around with this for a while to figure out how it works. Good luck. ;)

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 am

sgtmikey101

Thanks virtue seriously you are a life saver. I've been googling this issue for a couple months and couldn't find the exact answer i wanted. Thanks man.

Postby perkexpert » Thu May 09, 2013 9:12 am

perkexpert

Hi Mike, i see your struggles but there are several good points here...i think having fun is good but really struggling and having a decent result in the end is priceless and will get you motivated. We all struggle - a lot, the problem is that in tutorials or other resources it seems to easy...so fluent so effortless. But we dont see the countless hours which were put into getting so smooth. You wrote:

eye shape and mouth shape will change soon. But i think i've invested way to much time into this

I think this is exactly the opposite: Spend even more time...make it 5 10 20 hours... crunch through it. What you got now, is a failed attempt (or at least you seem to see it like that) which is bad and demotivating. Stay with a theme and really try to push through it until you are satisfied or feel you did a decent job and maybe are a bit proud of it, even if it has issues...i know you struggle and thats good! Struggle more! You can do it!

Keep it up!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Zjacklee » Thu May 09, 2013 9:54 am

Zjacklee

Spend even more time...make it 5 10 20 hours... crunch through it. What you got now, is a failed attempt (or at least you seem to see it like that) which is bad and demotivating. Stay with a theme and really try to push through it until you are satisfied or feel you did a decent job and maybe are a bit proud of it, even if it has issues...i know you struggle and thats good! Struggle more! You can do it!

I couldn't agree more with this! Listen to this guy.
Spend 1 month even if needed to make that 1 thing right. Try different approaches... same subject.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:39 am

sgtmikey101

Thank you Perk seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the way your phrased it. It hit home with me and now I must draw more. This gives me a jolt to work on some older stuff that i haven touched in ages. would you guys like to see some of it??? Thanks zack you guys are always there for me :D

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm

sgtmikey101

something i've been playing around with for past hour. I love low angle shots. Ill have to work on the neck for the picture. A straight on shot of it is simple but then you start adding perspective. Granted it is easy to draw a cylinder from a low angle, but ill just have to work through these perspective/proportion issues and fast before i make a fool of myself.
luffy_edited-1.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:09 am

sgtmikey101

I think I finally understand the source of my problems as an artist. It starts from the head. I know I have to practice and I set aside time to do so, but it never seems to happen. I"m preocuppied with too much, school, work, and trying to get a social life (still dont have one) trying to find fun in my mundane town that I lose sight of the only thing I want. It is as if the universe is telling me to pick one and only one.
Regardless of this internal battle that wars in my head I feel as though art is a source of validation to be alive and living. I have awesome images in my head and I want others to see the awesomeness in my head and experience it the same way i thought it out to be. When something turns out wrong I immediately get frustrated, sometimes i try to calm myself, but it is a force of habbit where I tell myself that i'm worthless. It is so ingrained in my head that it is impossible to learn because I"m not improving. I try to compare my past works to current and they are loose and relaxed. I try to do that by listening to calm music and just letting go but at the end of the day feel discouraged by my lack of improvement. I tried to blame it on my schooling not teaching me anything. Which there is some truth to that (I'm in college and my art classes pat you on the back for everything you regurgitate). I like criticism because it is supposed to help you improve, but ultimately when I receive it I feel sick. I feel worthless and I feel like I can't fix my errors.
I tried to blame it on my practice, so i changed it. I changed it to working with only pens and no erasers. changed it to only anatomy proportions, etc. But at the end of the day I returned back to the conclusion I'm not improving. I also tried to blame my ability to not improve as some sort of mental problem. I told myself maybe i have some sort of disability because in school I tend to learn things in many subjects and months after I forget it all.
Returning back to validation. I think validation is the reason I grow so upset. Its hard to point my finger and say it is that in the moment of feeling pissed, but it has to be a large part of me not improving. As a kid I drew all the time. I was always an amazing artist and I was drawing portraits of people when i was 8. I got the label of the creative kid and when it came to doing projects it excited me because I knew I could finally be of some sort of help to people. I lacked in conversational skills and let my work speak for me. It was the one time when jocks and girls would notice I was a person. It made me feel worth it. With this awesome feeling came improvement because I didn't have expectations yet, I just drew to have fun. My teachers actually taught me stuff and it I ultimately improved up until i transferred to a Catholic school in 7th grade. At this school they had art classes but the teacher could only draw stick figures and no i'm not talking the stick figures you make to set up the pose of a figure. She came to my desk and noticed my drawings of 3 dimensional form and shape and made me become the teacher. I by no means am joking by this I WAS THE TEACHER. So up until 9th grade i taught art at my junior high what a joke.

In highschool I retained my rep and I returned back to public school. People still remembered me as being an artist but too bad I could only display it on one or two projects a year. My art teachers didn't teach me anything instead of pointing out my flaws they just corrected them for me. I am aware of paint overs and such, but no they seriously would take your problem back to their desk and drew over it, fixed the shading, handed it back. It'd be benefitial to see how its done and allow me to redraw it, but that sucked. Or i had polar opposite teachers who couldn't draw. So come college here is a guy who is still stuck at the 7th grade level. But that is fine because afterall we all start from the basics in college or so i thought. At the time of shopping for a college to go to I discovered an art college locally. I couldn't go out of state because I didn't get any scholarships despite having a 4.0 in highschool (being in nhs, honor roll, key club, leo,volunteering, sports), but that is a story for another day. So at this art college I went to a tour and was in awe because I SAW the improvement of the students. The tour guide dude sat us down and talked to me and my mother. The second my mother brought up scholarships, grants, loans, etc. the guy yelled at her. I could immediately tell this wasn't going to work out nor was she going to allow me to attend. So this gave me the idea of going to this community college that is uber cheap and same as the university in town.

I go to the tour of the campus and grow excited because they offer tons of art classes for super cheap. So things start to fall in place and my mother criticizes me for wanting to go there. She eventually guilt tripped me into going to the local university. I attend there (going into third year and it is hell on earth), and get excited because OH BOY they will definitely have art courses. Sign up for classes but realize i have to take a shit ton of gen ed's to get to the pre req's. So this doesn't deter me until i realize they are all the same as highschool. Time flies and right now just about done with pre req's. But yet zero art classes. I return back to the course scheduler to see they removed half of the art department. So here I am almost done with college without learning a smidgen of art. I begin to watch tuts online because my fate is in the distance. I realize that I haven't learned jack and I"m about to graduate. So i take things into my own hands. I try to learn learn learn, but instead of doing it for fun, its because its sink or swim.It sounds stupid to judge the situation that way, but the fear of working at two jobs full time approaches. I gain the realization that CRAP i have to learn this all on my own because my school obviously isn't going to teach me and now i have a time limit. I have a time limit because Most my day is in classes, at work, and by the time I'm home my brain is about to explode because I haven't done anything fun. You'd think art would be fun for me since it was for half my life, but it isn't. Art has evolved into a must. I know that if i don't do it I have zero chance of escaping my current fate.

I grow even more scared because other aspects of my life are gone now. I feel empty because I haven't had a girlfriend before, haven't had real friends, and I haven't had fun in the past 7 years of my life. because of my work work work school school school regiment. At first i grew hopeful of the idea that after college I can actually get an hour to myself or an extra hour to draw, but actually it'll grow worse because I'll have to work even more to get myself out of debt (cough cough wouldn't have any if i would have went to community college).So i'll be a person with a diploma that means absolutely nothing because i didn't learn anything valuable and I won't have the time to improve my art. Obviously you create time to make art, and I try my best to do so. I go to bed at 12 so i can draw more and i wake up at 4 so i can draw more, I draw during class when the teacher becomes redundant. So I will ofcourse find time to still do art, but It will all be meaningless because I'm not having fun doing it, thanks to the sink or swim mentality. I'm hating art because I don't have a life because of it. I only have an hour free after work and school, which usually goes to homework, but when i do get to make art I grow frustrated knowing I'm in a huge cycle.

I feel even worse about this whole situation because I suffer from the same thing other artist face, finding a job. I feel even more worse because If i don't improve i'll be a failure to my parents. I hear every night and day from them that they want me live a life free of debt (starting to feel school is a scam if i have to do everything myself). I don't want to be a failure to them and get the education they could never have. So as a result I draw draw draw, but it isn't fun. Its as if every fun bone in my body has snapped. Everything is serious, even outside of art.I try to loosen up and try to not take these things so serious but its sort of hard when everything reminds me of my impending fate.

Finally if you read all that good job, pat yourself on the back, and buy yourself a drink its on the house. Jokes aside I feel like this all returns back to validation. Art has been the thing that made me feel worthwhile. It used to give me a reason to live, it made me feel like I deserved to be here. Putting my energy into thinking that is the only reason to be here has put to much negative emphasis on success (hard not to when we are in a success dependent society). I think if I find other reasons to be on this earth like having good friends, or a girlfriend, being more thankful for being alive I can return to the fun I had. But i fear this won't happen until after college. If i can solve these other aspects in my life perhaps I can improve properly instead of trying to force growth.

What do you guys suggest? Obviously time is an issue for me but how to manage it when you have absolutely none of it?

I'll write my daily schedule with drawing times inserted:

4:00 wake up, shower, draw
5:00draw
6:00 head to class
7:00 draw before class
8:00 class begins draw during class
9:00 In class still
10: In class still
11: In class still
12:00 head home, grab a bite to eat
1:00 take sister to work
2: do laundry/mow lawn/email teachers/bills/etc. Miscellaneous time for impt stuff
3: head to work
4 work
5 work
6 work
7 break time draw
8 work
9 work
10 closing shift stuff
11 come home do homework, shower draw

so that was my mon thru friday schedule I have the same hours for my other job except that i have an extra hour free on fridays yay me :(

so on saturday I work all day except i get a couple hours free to draw and do school work that i couldn't do during the week
same with sunday.

Obviously my schedule is a problem, but I gotta make the best out of it. Obviously there is no time to join art clubs at the university, no time to be trying to get friends, no time flirt with girls. So i just got to make the best out of the only thing i have left which is art, while trying not to be the only thing that validates my existence, and trying to make it be fun despite it be necessary for my career.

Sorry everyone who read this far. I'm keeping this post in my sketchbook as a point of comparison for the future. Perhaps someday I'll have a different life and i can look back at this and my art an say Boy have i Improved. If you have suggestions, comments, hateful feedback let me know thanks for your time...... that is if you have any

Postby chyneseBBQ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:34 am

chyneseBBQ

I don't know. Something that might help you.

If drawing what you like doesn't help you improve, then draw what you hate.

Draw what you hate until you learn how to accept it. This way it might even help you with your personal problems.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 am

sgtmikey101

Not a bad idea. When I'm pissed I'm just going to draw it out. This will be a nice change of pace and Ill welcome it. Thanks Chinese and I'll post the results ;)

Postby marvel57 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:25 pm

marvel57

Mike my Son went to community college to be a architect, after a year he did'nt like so we thot be a cop, so he graduates w/extra credits and gets a double degrees criminal justice and assoc. Arts. They closed the local police acadamy so he works a series of jobs and now is a personal banking supervisor w a major bank. Moral of the story is you'll get much higher paying jobs than your no college friends. Which is Good! My son 26, has a live in girlfriendand is a gaming /internet junkie. But he, like you could be doing art instead. So the school is never going be be negative in your life, so, no 2 jobs etc. :P :ugeek:

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:10 am

sgtmikey101

Marvel i don't want to make it seem like I ignored you by not replying. To be quite honest i read this post every week and it relieves some pressure from me. You clearly come from a place of experience which i am grateful for :)

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 am

sgtmikey101

Here is something i did for a friend he is an mlp fan ( I am not). But for once i feel fairly proud with what i did. For once i invested more than 2 hours into getting the structure down and used references up the wazoo. I will note that i used pose reference from posemaniacs. But other than that the rest of the concept was from pure knowledge. The hand resting needs work which will be worked on tommorow. More light values need placed obviously, but finding good placement is a toughie. I trid making abs with light values comparing to past studies but it looked flat so i'm avoiding that for now.

I like the pose. I think the hair needs worked, but i will say i worked out some of my settings towards end of the process with hair especially in the strand hanging by her left eye. I still feel the facial expression in the mouth needs more attitude and the eyes need some pazass somehow. Maybe if i change the pixel size instead of working on a small pixel percentage I can add some more detail instead of bits lol.

Other than that I felt way more confident drawing from a pose of a 3d model than trying to remember from my studies how stuff looks and guessing. I feel way better with references but you guys be the judge
six.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:20 am

sgtmikey101

oh and the right leg looks unrealistic with it disapeearing into space it should come maybe at more of an angle. maybe the left leg with more of angular look. idk.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:25 am

sgtmikey101

I will say that i do happen to like the folds i did with the skirt. I haven't added the middle values to the skirt, but it would help. If any one struggles with folds, not that i'm a guru or anything, I saw a drawing vid Jim lee did a long time ago that covered it which I can provide if you'd like. I saw it a few months back and haven't put it to use yet, but essentially he put it like this..... for every spot of tension on the human body, place a dot. So if an elbow is bending place a dot at the joint and possibly at the armpit. From there draw a few curved lines that stem out from it and blam.

I remember four years ago I'd try to render folds like straight lines because it was in my visual memory from drawing crappy dbz pics with no idea of how cloth moved. Word of advice dont' do that.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook