Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:07 am

sgtmikey101

Subject title: Mike's Sketchbook

So far i've worked 5 hours on this and i'm head banging. I'm trying not to start witha sketch and using shapes, bigger brushes and the hard brush. Everytime i progress a part of my piece ill notice something is off and in the process of fixing it i paint over my mistake. Its driving me nuts because i can spot all my problems but in the pursuit of fixing them i screw up something else. It irritates me because i've done many realistic studies in the past and have had mildy good success with them, granted i sketched and used a different program than photoshop where the brushes taper off at the end. this is just bonkers though. I'm going backwards inthe blink of the eye and i want to die. Why do i spend so much time with art if after all these studies i go back wards

this is a wip and i see mistakes in values, i still have to render eyes, nose, define it more, lips, teeth i can keep seeing my mistakes. it just irritates me because i'll attempt to fix them and then end up screwing up something else. I can see the details and in the individual parts and i just can't render them. Where as with pencil i could

Before anyone says do black and white studies i do those every flipping day. I just can't believe this is how far i've gotten in just five hours and i still have way more time to go to render ever thing, ears, lips,etc. SO many problems, proprotions of head highlights fkdjsfjkddjksfsdjkfsdjsdklj

oh and as i posted this the nose that i tried fixing the angle of earlier today, needs to be fixed again because i painted over it and made it straight on accident. I'm so stupid. its just frastrating seeing so many mistakes and everytime i think i fixed it i'll stand back and realize i screwd it up even more or i ruined something else in the process. I'll probably end up working 40 hourso n a flipping study and still be at the same point. Even worse is that i started off simple, shapes, blocked in , started with flats, then darks and placed individual tones where they belonged. I just laugh because a year ago when i did a study in just an hour in color it was ten times better and even with that piece i still kept spotting flaws and getting frustrated but atleast its way better and further along than this. I also cheated and used soft round back then argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
fillm study copy.jpg
you can make fun of me

Postby marvel57 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:39 pm

marvel57

Sahge-forget coloring, your measurements are off. The mans nose is bent the opposite way that you'repainting it. The distance from the bottom lip to chin is too short and in your version the dudes hairline"widows peak" , is too high and misplaced. Try this, close one eye and squint the other. All you'll really see is the darkest and lightest points. Use that way of seeing to locate the major facts of your subject. :ugeek:

Postby kaponsh » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 am

kaponsh

Dude don't be so hard on yourself. Painting is a skill that needs to be learned and maintained. Not every painting you make will be the master piece you envision in your head.
And it's not as bad as you make it to be :) The colors you chose are close to the original and you captured the general shape of things.
Plus after working on it for five hours it's ok to take a break and study something else for a while and return to the painting with fresh eyes
Painting is supposed to be fun :D

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 am

Ambiguity

Why are you trying to handicap yourself when you just said you got better results with previous methods? What are you actually hoping to accomplish with this "study"?

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:09 am

sgtmikey101

Hey guys I'm back from college. I finally graduated and slowly transitioning into the next phase of my life (the job hunt). I've had a lot of time to think about why I'm making art and to be honest most of my frustration with it came with expectation. I saw so many people in school who made great art who blatantly told me that they don't practice, i've met people who could render stuff better than I could. It was a competition in my head, i knew how I should have avoided that mindset, but it was hard to escape since i've always been an athlete. Instead of it propelling me it lead to a lot of self doubt. I still feel doubt and I still feel bad when I i can't make something so simple. The difference is now I'm willing to not dwell on it so much and just to try. It still scares me knowing wow i can suck my whole life and waste my time, but in actuality thats such a weird fear to have because its irrational. How does my mind know this to be true, ya know. Even if I'm not successful, so what? ya know. I may have huge weaknesses that puts me at a disability or I may be worse than the kid who never practices, but at least i'll have confidence when I make something. A complete natural artist could be born unto the world and if he doesn't have the confidence, he will give up or depreciate his work because of his lack.

I tried to use art as a way to feel like I'm worth living, having impractical expectations set me up for failure. Even if i was making progress at one point or another my confidence set me ten steps back. If anything now i expect to fail, I expect things to go way worse than I imagine (which sounds like a contradiction of having confidence), but in having the bar set so low, i'll surely surpass my goals. At this point its not a competition, its just me vs me. Can i do this one task an inch better than yesterday, if not no worries. I'm not going to die, i'm not going starve, the universe doesn't depend on a study. I think the final thing that killed me over the past few years was knowing that i saw my mistakes as i made them. In attempt to fix my errors, i failed all the time or so I thought. I heard an artist say that if you try something and fail it means that you weren't ready for that knowledge yet. Some people are ready before you are, it may be perceived as unfair, but it also means that when you finally understand it, you may understand it better than the next person. There are so many variables in art, that getting bogged down by all of them lead to my demise. I didn't tackle things one by one, i tried to do too much and didn't give myself credit where I needed it. All in all I may have stepped on many toes in the process of my struggle, I deeply regret sharing my past anger for art, but in the end it lead to positives.

I can't fail period. Failure is a mad made term to describe something that we loosely understand, failure is accepting your fate and burying your own grave before your even dead.
Thanks guys.

Plans that I don't promise, nor guarantee. Filling my thread with five pieces a week to get my sketchbook caught up to speed. Mostly filling it with the work i did throughout the year.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:20 am

sgtmikey101

Here are 5 Oil painting I completed from the months of August to December. Lots of obvious flaws. If you have any helpful crits feel free to leave them below. Thanks ;)
Sycra Uploads-1.jpg
Sycra Uploads-2.jpg
Sycra Uploads-3.jpg
Sycra Uploads-4.jpg
Sycra Uploads-5.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:09 am

marvel57

Sahge! Looking good,especially the street scene :ugeek:

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 am

sgtmikey101

Thanks Marvel! ;)

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:29 am

sgtmikey101

Here is something that I started working on a couple week ago while messing around on g plus. By no means finished, but its a good start. Proportions and refining the face is next. I'm open for hearing feedback and possible directions to take this in.

Thanks, Mike
Ya-1.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:04 am

Ambiguity

Kudos to you for having the balls to take on those patterns in oil, I'd be so scared; they turned out pretty nice as well :D.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:58 am

sgtmikey101

Thanks ambiguity. Those fabric textures scared me, the girl next to me was so accurate with hers and I was crossing my eyes trying to find what i painted and what i didn't. I ended up rushing it towards the end of the process but I'm happy with it. I can't feel too bad because most the girls in my class handled the texture part better than the rendering part.

here's a picture i started working on tonight. I was having trouble with ideas, and thumbnailing. I decided to go straight to paint without sketching (which may not be the best thing), but i was able to start developing ideas or a mannequin to start building on. It's for a contest for a con I go to. The theme is bio tech. I'm working on one layer and painted over the original arms because i was unsure of how to pose them. Do you think its too uninteresting for the pose? Once i can figure more out about the pose i think i will attempt laying on layers of metal. If you have suggestions that will save me from weirdness please leave them below
1.jpg
1.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:59 am

sgtmikey101

Failed to mention that its for an anime con and the mascot is ninja based. I also failed to mention i'm unsure if i should add shogun guards or play around with leg modeling

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:04 pm

sgtmikey101

I redid the bio mechanical drawing. I found out for the contest that i had to have their mascot in it, so i'm redesigning him and i plan to make the arms have metal layers like xmen's collosus character. Ideas suggestions. Are the arms to far off, is it too boring?
1-1.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:54 am

sgtmikey101

Hey guys and gals just wanted to let you know that i'm still working. Always have been, just in private.Studying studying studying and failing. But failing upwards lol.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:57 am

sgtmikey101

figured i'd upload the picture i did for the contest from a month ago. I ended up winning somehow, but here it is.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:59 am

sgtmikey101

i keep getting a server error

Postby sgtmikey101 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:55 am

sgtmikey101

a quick sketch
hella-1.jpg

Previous

Return to Sketchbook