Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Waveloop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:02 am

Waveloop

Subject title: Mike's Sketchbook

Just by looking at your drawings one can tell you use your hand to mutch... And you're not confident in your strokes... Try and keep things loose, and don't worry about the end result, just focus on the line you're making. It's like everything else... You don't learn to play basketball just by playing basketbal. You got to work on your basics, dribbling, passing, shooting, tactics...
if I were you, I'll,just be doing lines like crazy, put your arm in it from shoulder to finger... Loosen up and try to draw simple things with has few lines has possible, nice long lines. With time, you'll get your own dynamics, and you'll be amazed when the things you hate about your work will end up,being the things that define who you are has an artist.

One Pixar's gurus once said ( don't really remember his name)... "only after 1million drawings will you start to be good... So just get rid of them has soon has possible " :lol:

... Practice practice practice

Don't give up, cheers

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:05 am

sgtmikey101

ill give that a try with the shoulders and such, it is seriously out of my comfort zone. Ill give it a try, but i tend to prefer being sketchier with my lines and then going over with a black line to clarify the shape i'm going for. For m i seem to get more accuracy doing it that way, where as if i put my shoulder in it, i get more sharper lines. It definately gives it a cleaner look, but it just comes out wrong for me. Ill practice it some more and perhaps post some stuff trying that technique out, i saw sycra mention that in his video. Btw can i do that on a tablet? I have a smaller one, and i feel like when i use the shoulder thing i'll be too forceful lol

Postby sgtmikey101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:18 am

sgtmikey101

heres some hands vs shoulder technique on my tablet. Things are definately bigger and gapped when i do things off to the right with my shoulder. perhaps it'd work better if i just did shoulder on paper.
hands vs shoulders.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:08 am

marvel57

Mike , you use the shoulder mostly on larger drawings when doing your lighter layout,its just mechanicly efficient. Plus you can sat back a bit more and see your whole sketch better. For the finishing,your use your wrist and fingers more for Max control. On a small drawing you don't draw the pupils of the eye with shoulder movement, see what I mean? A painter usually holds the brush back 2/3 Rds or so, Even for smaller details, choking up on the handle for the smallest detail. Don't have a death grip at all times when drawing,you'll get tired faster,that's why I suggested trying to find out what your pencil can do. Plan on tossing a lot of sketches use copy paper and drink some coffee or whatever to get to where you can focus :!:

Postby Waveloop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:10 am

Waveloop

Yes Mike I didnt mean all the time... just got include it more on the big lines, and I find it to be a good warm up for drawing session, just letting stuff flow.

Postby Waveloop » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:13 am

Waveloop

Yes Mike I didn't mean all the time... I just think you have to include it more on the big lines.I find it to be a good warm up for drawing session, just letting stuff flow

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 am

sgtmikey101

here is me messing around some more with perspective.
sycra forum.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am

sgtmikey101

heres something i had fun doing. For once i didn't feel pressured about messing up. I just felt like drawing a black blot like sycra did once and drawing from it
sycra black blot.jpg

Postby AlanSaucedo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:08 am

AlanSaucedo

Hey mikey
you seem really frustrated and i actally know how that feels like, believe it or not your sketches look alot like my old ones i see the same mistakes tha's why i've decided to give it a try to help you, i understand that is impossible to stop being frustrated just by deciding it, in fact it is most probably that you i'll end up more frustrated for your inability to stop being frustrated,so firstable i'll apologize if im not being eloquent, english is not my main language so with the help of"translate.google" i´ll do my best.

1.Your lines- your lines are very insecure i use to have that problem, so my sketches took way to much time i would obsses over a line trying to get it perfect and i would spend a lot of time in a basic guide line and my paper would end up very messy and unclean because of all the erasing, i believe this is the only exercise i will recommend you where you'll have to use your hand so here it is; Use a PEN and try to do circles inside circles or spirals, ovals and parallel lines in one direction and then another but dont put your attention to it i mean i do this when im watching t.v., the point of this is to practice whihout feeling tyred or frustrated i mean dont even look at the paper just do it while you are doing other things and try to get use to it if you do it correctly you would feel as if you did nothing and thats the point and your lines will get more loose( i also do it when i shower or go to bed i imagine as if i have a pen in my hand and start drawing in the air -do not do it with an actual pen it can be dangerous to fall asleep with a pen in your hand-.

2.Useless practicing- it is useless to practice if you don't understand the point of it or why the techniques are the way they are, for what i've being reading i imagine you see or read something (a guide,tutorial technique etc,) and you copy it or do what they tell you to do over and over and over and then you try to draw and you end up disappointed becouse it did'nt work, i can see you are missing something important and that is "understanding" i have heard Sycra and others art teachers say "you have to learn to think and to see" for example sometimes when i draw, im not even aware of the type of line im drawing, all i know is it makes sense since im not drawing in paper im drawing over a sphere or over something else or drawing towards a direction in empty space so when you see a technique ask your self what the lines represent dont just copy or do what they tell you to do try to "understand" whay is the purpose of those lines what they represent so alot of tutorials tell you what to do, they dont tell you how to see it or how to approach it you can see what the artist it drawing but you can not see what he is thinking i realized this when i saw "How to draw eyes 2" from Sycra i saw how he whas drawing not over the circle bur over the sphere
so my advice is practice the way you see i do this all the time when im out of my house i see buildings and people and activate my X rays and reduce them to stick figures and basic shapes and i try to understand the perception so again this is practicing without really practicing try to understand everything as a three-dimensional object and not as a flat image so you will end up not drawing but building also listen to what the teachers are saying sometimes they explain how to mentally aproach a draw.

3.Third and most importantly- did i mention how much you remind me of me a few months ago? that thing about how getting your arm hurt maybe affecting your sketches hahahahha i laghued a little since i said the same thing to myself, i use to play baseball and i use to trhow the ball faster than any of the other guys but my shoulder hurt every time i do it and the more i did it the more it hurt i dont play baseball anymore but my shoulder hurts when i do some particular movements so i started to convince my self that that was the problem and ergo i would never be able to draw "good" and that is not the only excuse i try to come up with i also blamed my position, the lighting, and the way i grab the pencil since i grab it in a very particular way and other things in order to give up, im not saying now i can draw good o hell no but damn i can really tell the difference beetwen the sketches i do now and the ones i used to do when i had that attitud o yeah basecally it was all bullshit i said to myself in order to quit, you know when i see someone who draws pretty good one thing always seems consinstent- that they being drawing since they were kids, when i was a kid i used to draw and i thought i was good until one day i met this kid who took out a card of "leomon" and started drawing it, and i was like Damn he really has "talent" i thought the draw was identical to the image in the card, and in that moment i said to myself "drawing is not for me", you see how much of a quitter i was? i use to sketch from time to time and yeah my familie and friends thought i was good but i knew there are people out there who can do amayzing illustrations so i used to draw with my head down not even trying to improve and there where years when i didn't do a single skecth now im 22 years old and i´ve decided to really give it a try and that is what im doing putting aside all the bullshit attitude and thanks to people like Sycra who can resume and teach us what took them years to learn i really think someday i'll be able to compite with people who have being drawing their whole lifes so yeah i´ve being doing a lot of hard work but the key is the way you approach it soon probably tomorrow i ll post a few of my sketches im not good it has only being like 2 months since i decided to really try this so don´t expect much haha.

i hope i helped... also i like to see people's sketchbooks on youtube i see theres alot of difference their level and mine but i try to ignore that i just see their sketches becouse i can really see how they have fun drawing, sometimes they draw comedy sketches just to amuse themselves they dont even care about proportions or anything like that.

Cheers!.
;)

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 am

sgtmikey101

thanks alan. it means alot to hear that from someone who shares in similar struggles. Sometimes its easy to forget that I am capable of doing art, it just takes practice. I just need to loosen up and free my mind when i draw. Thanks man. I can't wait to see some of your stuff in the future man.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:01 am

sgtmikey101

Some stuff i've been doing over the past two months in my art class. My teacher hasn't taught us anything as of yet :D, but i just draw for a few hours in that class. Which is nice to have that time, but i usually get done early, so i have time to work on other things.My hand drawing was terrible, i didn't even realize that the proportions looked cruddy till the end of it, but o well it was my first day of class. The flower one i did in pen just for fun. I have some other stuff i can post from my class sketch book too. Those ill scan in since they are smaller.

I have to pick one for tommorows class for the class to critique. The teacher seems to like my work so far, but i can't pick which is my best.

Any one have any suggestions on which to pick
Picture 19.jpg
Picture 20.jpg
Picture 21.jpg
Picture 22.jpg
Picture 23.jpg
Picture 24.jpg
Picture 25.jpg
Picture 26.jpg
Picture 27.jpg
Picture 28.jpg

Postby leonardZC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 pm

leonardZC

hey good sketchbook i can see you are trying lots of different things thats really cool, i know the creative stuff and imaginative stuff sucks right now but thats just cuz youre starting man, really draw and build from refference at first try and undestand what underlying forces are working in the pose and that way you can create poses of your own, also try and practice assymetry and practice negative space drawing you have cool ideas, you just need the skills and more importantly the KNOWLEDGE to make them a reality, push hard man its not gonna get easier but it will get more enjoyable as you keep on getting better, NEVER SURRENDER!

PD. one thing that might help you is the book FORCE by mike d mattessi look it up its made for animation majors but its a sweet read and really explains about how a pose works, id recommend drawing each and every one of the examples in the book *again theese are recommendations what you practice is up to you.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 am

sgtmikey101

Thank you man. I will definitely have to check out that book. I love all the book recommendations from this site, i'm going to try to get pay pal set up soon so i can buy these great books. I'll post some examples from the book down the line when i get it. Thanks man :D

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:07 am

sgtmikey101

heres some experimental stuff. obviously the hair was too fluffy but i did that to keep me entertain. i went out of my comfort zone on this one
some random fun.jpg
noses.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:41 am

sgtmikey101

So i played around with photoshop today, trying to draw a skull, so i pulled up some reference i drew away. I was having trouble blending two colors together, so i tried and tried again and again. Finally i made progress. I had a breakthrough, i just switched the skeleton to black and white and things just blended so much more easier. It was as smooth as butter. Obviously i'm not done yet and i have to figure out how to go back and add finer details to the teeth shapes and such. I also have to add whiter values, but that was an awesome breakthrough. Things still aren't as smooth as i want them to be, but they are getting there
skully.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:02 am

Fenix_N

It's great that you are discovering new things. The more time you spend practicing and analyzing as you practice, the more you will learn. Anyways, don't forget about your dark values too.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 am

sgtmikey101

oh yeah definately, still got ways to go with this. But i want to work on it tommorow when i get home from work lol.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:28 am

sgtmikey101

something random i did today, playing with one piece characters and different poses
rough draft_edited-1.jpg

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:32 am

sgtmikey101

I was going to make a new post with 75 sketches and of course at the very end the save file on scanner crashed :(

Postby marvel57 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:36 am

marvel57

Mike welcome back, man! Let's get biizzzzeeeeeeee :D :ugeek:

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:14 am

Ambiguity

sgtmikey101 wrote:I was going to make a new post with 75 sketches and of course at the very end the save file on scanner crashed :(

Aww, that sucks so hard. Well at least you drew a lot haha.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:20 pm

sgtmikey101

Thanks marvel :D. I made sure i did tons of drawings when i was away from this forum. I want to post on here more frequently because i love the members and feedback here, but i can't seem to find a way to convert some of my images to the right sizes. Without having to open up an entirely new photoshop file and resizing things lol. I'll figure it out eventually.

Ambiguity. I have a ton to upload. Alot of the sketches i was dumping last night were from my class that i finished a month ago.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 am

Ambiguity

sgtmikey101 wrote: i can't seem to find a way to convert some of my images to the right sizes. Without having to open up an entirely new photoshop file and resizing things lol. I'll figure it out eventually. .

You mean you have your original file and are throwing it on a new canvas to resize it? If so, all you need to do is open up your images and go to Image>Image size and change it to what you want, just make sure "Constrain Proportions" is checked.

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:44 pm

sgtmikey101

ty ambiguity ill give it a try

Postby sgtmikey101 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 am

sgtmikey101

Great news i revisited my hp program that i use for scanning and some of the things that i thought didn't scan when the file messed up, actually did!!! But only some of them did :( . But still :D.

Anyways i'll be posting a few pages of my sketchbook daily

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook