Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 am

GauntletsTheArtist

Subject title: Sketchbook thread 4 my random whatevers... (Meh!)

Well I guess dis gonna b my sketchbook thread. Go nuts wit it like any critique I guess. I'm kinda startin' 2 take some time an' sit wit dis cintiq. Likely, Imma try an' do some simple shit rather than da complex shit I b tryna do. Hopefully, one can c me grow here.
Here go somethin' Imma post 2 start it...
And the process of how I went about it!

Also, here go a li'l template I created if y'all wanna do some black an' white.

Quick edit: More to come here.

Postby Total100 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

looks cool but it think that the line art would look cool obove the painting layer wise.

also anatomy wise:

it looks good but the abs are to wide and big. they are pretty small in real life. also where is the deltoid on the dudes right hand?
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 am

GauntletsTheArtist

Total100 wrote:looks cool but it think that the line art would look cool obove the painting layer wise.

It's a common photoshop trend. Put da paint layer above da lineart an' switch da mode 2 "Multiply." Either or will work tho.

Total100 wrote:also anatomy wise:

it looks good but the abs are to wide and big. they are pretty small in real life. also where is the deltoid on the dudes right hand?

Shows I just need more practice... an' more ink if I'm 2 print dat PDF I downloaded. lol (probably shoulda exaggerated a bit more or somethin')

But yeah... Like I said. More 2 come l8r.

Postby Isius » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 am

Isius

GauntletsTheArtist wrote:
Total100 wrote:looks cool but it think that the line art would look cool obove the painting layer wise.

It's a common photoshop trend. Put da paint layer above da lineart an' switch da mode 2 "Multiply." Either or will work tho.

It is not just a trend, is it a certain style. However, to get away with it requires smoother/sharper edges and better shading. Of course, you have to start somewhere :) When it is done well I really like the look of it. I think Total meant, was as this pictures stands, it looks very incomplete around the edges, and adding the line art over top would probably fix that.

Here is an example

http://fav.me/d21p3pi

Of course, that is some pretty advanced stuff haha. Don't expect you to be near that so soon (I myself am miles from it) but see what I mean by the crisp edges?

Postby Williham24 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 am

Williham24

I agree with Total about the abs, they look to much like they are pieces of plastic under his skin, they look a little large and flat and the boundaries between them are too defined. Also, I'm guessing it's your style, but I think you could tone down on the muscles a little, or make them more ridiculous. Most body builders have huge shoulder muscles, they look like cobras, and your dude doesn't, but he does have the legs of one. Anatomically though, in terms of scale, it all looks accurate and the pose is interesting :)
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby marvel57 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:53 am

marvel57

A definate improvement! It looks kinda cool, did you have referenceor is this of the top of your head? I read that you're really an anatomy nut, which is good, people are the most important subject in art, and maybe the hardest to excel at. Keep working :ugeek:

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 am

GauntletsTheArtist

marvel57 wrote:A definate improvement! It looks kinda cool, did you have referenceor is this of the top of your head? I read that you're really an anatomy nut, which is good, people are the most important subject in art, and maybe the hardest to excel at. Keep working :ugeek:

Mainly from da top of my head. Sometimes I'll try an' use reference; tho sometimes I almost despise it seein' as how I know a teacher who'd sometimes try an' ram dat fact down my throat. More often than one would think, one can do well without usin' reference.

Also, here go some cat heads I was dickin' around wit.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am

Ambiguity

GauntletsTheArtist wrote:Mainly from da top of my head. Sometimes I'll try an' use reference; tho sometimes I almost despise it seein' as how I know a teacher who'd sometimes try an' ram dat fact down my throat. More often than one would think, one can do well without usin' reference.
Ram what fact down your throat?

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am

Zjacklee

More often than one would think, one can do well without usin' reference.

That's when your visual library is experienced enough. Meanwhile... It's not about doing good without reference, it's about doing the best you can even if that would mean to use a reference to get the job done. Using reference doesn't mean to copy. It just means to see and understand your subject better before you continue your drawing.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Ambiguity

Zjacklee wrote:
More often than one would think, one can do well without usin' reference.

That's when your visual library is experienced enough. Meanwhile... It's not about doing good without reference, it's about doing the best you can even if that would mean to use a reference to get the job done. Using reference doesn't mean to copy. It just means to see and understand your subject better before you continue your drawing.

+1 People who do amazing without reference have also studied a lot from reference(life counts as reference too btw), and I can bet you they'd do even better if they did use reference.

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm

GauntletsTheArtist

Some poses...
I needa spend a little more time in front of my cintiq imo... or wit pencil an' paper. Actually, what I should b doin' is my 3d animation, but dat's somethin' else entirely. Tryin' different things in poses.
QUICK EDIT: I probably shoulda used darker shades as well, in hindsight.

Postby Total100 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

check out vectorology.com in the anatomy section. it helped me a lot with poses and wireframes.
Spoiler: show
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

Zjacklee

Total100 wrote:check out vectorology.com in the anatomy section. it helped me a lot with poses and wireframes.

lol, you mean to say: http://vectology.com/category/anatomy/

Postby Total100 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Total100

Zjacklee wrote:
Total100 wrote:check out vectorology.com in the anatomy section. it helped me a lot with poses and wireframes.

lol, you mean to say: http://vectology.com/category/anatomy/

yes 8-) yes i do.
lol i need to finally book mark that damn page. i never got down to bookmarking it :lol:
I'm Alex, I'm 12,

Postby kocab22 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 pm

kocab22

Hey you have pretty interesting manikin body building method.. You sure build body with what method you like, but there are few rules working for all of them.. Start your pose with gesture lines, that will help you to find the movement you want, to do it it is necessary to use nice flow lines. Also always watch your proportions, wherever you start measure with heads afterwards and correct all discrepancies. I usually start with head or torso (after my gesture lines are there)... Hope this helped. For proportions Sycra have really good videos on his channel ...
PosesSketching_zpsc4841e07.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Zjacklee

I have never ever used gesture lines but just seeing how to apply it in these examples, I suddenly see the real use of it. I guess I should give it a try too sometime. :)

Postby kocab22 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:26 pm

kocab22

I think you are experienced enough Zjacklee as I see your stuff ;).. But yes I use gesture line, it shows me the "swing" or "twist" and all that..

Postby alnoth » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:16 pm

alnoth

its good if you need to decide on the pose. good action lines will give your pose a nice look - kinda like the difference between jet li doing a fight scene for a movie, where its all super tweeked by Yuen Woo Ping vs your ordinary pub brawl. :D

Postby marvel57 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 pm

marvel57

It seems to me that gesture lines were/are noticed after the pose is drawn, not before. The only part of the body that a curve can represent is the entire spine. Why not start w/ a stick figure(because the bones are straight and don't bend) then put in rough shapes for torso and hips, using modified cylinders for arms and legs and continue fleshing out? Does anyone draw a sweeping line first,every time, when figure drawing? I usually start w/ the head and scale everything off that, based on an 8 3/4 head figure. The crotch being 4-1/4 heads down,
(1/4) head for neck and (1/2) head for foot including ankle :ugeek: that's buscemas scale for heroic adults m/f.
Last edited by marvel57 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Ambiguity

marvel57 wrote:The only part of the body that a curve can represent is the entire spine.

They are often used in gesture drawing to represent a big stretch like one from the head to a foot. I use S curves for long gesture lines more often the the C curve though.

marvel57 wrote:Why not start w/ a stick figure(because the bones are straight and don't bend) then put in rough shapes for torso and hips, using modified cylinders for arms and legs and continue fleshing out?

The body is not straight, there is a a lot of S curves throughout the body to keep us balanced. The modified geometric shapes are often used on top of the gesture though to create a manikin though. I personally start with the general rib cage and pelvis and gesture out everything else, after that is when I start adding more rough anatomy. I'm sure as you get more comfortable with drawing the figure you can be more economical, and not have to build the rough skeleton every time.

marvel57 wrote:Does anyone draw a sweeping line first,every time, when figure drawing?

It would depend greatly on the pose, it wouldn't work on every gesture.

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 am

GauntletsTheArtist

Well I can c dis thread here's been active while I was doin' shit. lol. A lotta y'all said some interesting stuff. Plus, I've visited dat site b4; just never really got around 2 actually tryin' shit out as of yet, cuz I got a lotta shit on my plate as it is; me still lookin' 4 work an' other things I'm in to. I'm lucky 2 even have my cintiq. Speakin' o' which,

I was fuckin' wit hands after I seen a YouTube video. Probably needa draw more of 'em tho.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 am

Ambiguity

Nice to see you still practicing.

A few tips about hands: the middle finger(which happens to be the longest finger) is about the same size as your palm, that should help you insure your hands are proportionate. Another thing is I noticed your fingers are thinnest at the knuckles, if anything they should be the thickest at those points because of the way the bones are shaped. lastly, with the exception of the thumb, your fingers should also get gradually thinner and thinner towards the fingertip.

Hope that helps, and I hope you'll keep posting :).

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 am

GauntletsTheArtist

Really needa practice THIS kinda drawing seein' as how I'm writin' dis story an' might consider drawin' it out in a comic...
A-a-a-a-a-and... the file!

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Roger

You should try learning the muscles in separate groups and then adding them all together. That way, when you render or shade you know exactly where to shade.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 pm

GauntletsTheArtist

I ain't died yet! But... I'm gettin' a bit lazy wit da cintiq. Been usin' my pencils an' shit also an' my 3DS. But I ain't died yet! lol
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9303861/Female ... Sketch.psd
Last edited by GauntletsTheArtist on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Sketchbook