Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Xiphor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:57 am

Xiphor

Subject title: DRaff210's Sketchbook

Damn dude...thats some really awesome figures....Keep it up!

Postby Koźlik » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 am

Koźlik

These figures look super nice! Also your color studies look intresting to look at :)
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby DRaff210 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:09 am

DRaff210

PuRin0 wrote:the forest monster looks amazing *o*

Wyntry wrote:These are so awesome!

Xiphor wrote:Damn dude...thats some really awesome figures....Keep it up!

Koźlik wrote:These figures look super nice! Also your color studies look intresting to look at :)

Thank you guys!

I've been in a creative rut for a while, kind of depressed, y'know, the whole deal. Still keeping up with my daily studies, though, so here's some more figure drawings:

Spoiler: show
1.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
2.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

I'm also super insecure about my lack of traditional drawing skills - I rely so much on layers and undoing in Photoshop. :oops: I practiced by drawing my story characters (who always change designs lol).

magic sand
4.jpg

wee beastie
9.jpg

imprisoned
0.jpg

Postby Ragamuffin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Ragamuffin

Hope you're feeling better!
Hehehe, i can relate to your characters always changing designs. You made reference to a story, and i'm curious. Is it a forthcoming project, like a comic? 3d feature film? :D

Postby Cheecken » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:59 am

Cheecken

Your characters are interesting :)
DRaff210 wrote:I've been in a creative rut for a while, kind of depressed, y'know, the whole deal.

Yep, I feel you. Depression really hinders productivity and creativity aswell. I also deal with this alot, so I try to make a routine, or draw with different themes or try out new stuff to refresh myself a little bit. You kinda have to figure out what works best for you I guess :)
Add me on Steam you little gardening tool, or female dog
http://steamcommunity.com/id/chaycken/

Postby DRaff210 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 am

DRaff210

It's been... longer than I would like to admit. Blah. Depressive moods still kicking my ass, and starting a new job soon so I'll have even less time for art. But! That won't stop me from at least messing around.

Ragamuffin wrote:Hope you're feeling better!
Hehehe, i can relate to your characters always changing designs. You made reference to a story, and i'm curious. Is it a forthcoming project, like a comic? 3d feature film? :D

Yup, I plan on making a webcomic sometime in the very distant future! And it's good to know that I'm not alone in the character consistency struggles. :?

Cheecken wrote:Your characters are interesting :)
DRaff210 wrote:I've been in a creative rut for a while, kind of depressed, y'know, the whole deal.

Yep, I feel you. Depression really hinders productivity and creativity aswell. I also deal with this alot, so I try to make a routine, or draw with different themes or try out new stuff to refresh myself a little bit. You kinda have to figure out what works best for you I guess :)

Thanks for the pep talk! Yeah, I've been trying to be a little more organized and disciplined in how approach my studies. We'll see how it all pans out in the future!

Some figure studies:

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

And some random stuff.

Roscoe.jpg

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Last edited by DRaff210 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby miloyoyo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 am

miloyoyo

great work on those textures! I really like your characters too, especially this guy on the last page

Postby Ragamuffin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Ragamuffin

DRaff210 wrote:Yup, I plan on making a webcomic sometime in the very distant future!

Nice! I look forward to see it take off, good luck!
Love the last drawing, the musculature is very impressive

Postby ephelce » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:30 am

ephelce

Your characters look really appealing, I love the shapes you use. Really liking the neon bodyguard's expression in the last page :) . Best of luck with regaining motivation, I would enjoy reading your comic one day.

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 am

DRaff210

miloyoyo wrote:great work on those textures! I really like your characters too, especially this guy on the last page

Thanks! Yeah, I like him too. :D

Ragamuffin wrote:
DRaff210 wrote:Yup, I plan on making a webcomic sometime in the very distant future!

Nice! I look forward to see it take off, good luck!
Love the last drawing, the musculature is very impressive

I hope it takes off, too! ...In several years when I actually start it. :lol: And thanks!

ephelce wrote:Your characters look really appealing, I love the shapes you use. Really liking the neon bodyguard's expression in the last page :) . Best of luck with regaining motivation, I would enjoy reading your comic one day.

Thanks you! Yeah, lack of motivation is a killer, but inspiring comments like yours help out a lot. :)

I got a new Intuos tablet recently, so I just made these two peeps to break it in. Feels like such a dream compared to my dinky little old one!

Gurl.jpg
Grump.jpg

Postby AlwaysARookie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:16 pm

AlwaysARookie

congrats to the new tablet :)
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby ephelce » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 am

ephelce

He is cute, he seems he would be a lot of fun to hug with how big he is :D

Postby DRaff210 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:04 pm

DRaff210

ephelce wrote:He is cute, he seems he would be a lot of fun to hug with how big he is :D

Hehe, thanks. He's definitely a gentle giant.

Welp, I started my new job. I already felt like I had no time for art, and this is only making things more complicated... oh, well. Just gotta hang in there.

Some random Bridgman studies:
Bridge.jpg

I re-drew and re-painted this guy because the wonky construction on the last one was bothering me a lot.
Grump 2.jpg

And finally, I painted a self-portrait, because I really wanted a more personalized avatar. 8-)

Postby Alpacky » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 am

Alpacky

Really like the colors/texture. And silhouette you got going on, also, nice avatar man!
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Azy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 am

Azy

Nice to see an update from you! Hope your new job plus managing time for art works out for you.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:59 am

AlwaysARookie

I hope it works out with your job and art. Here's the video if you haven't found it already.
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby Marcelo_Steinhaus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 am

Marcelo_Steinhaus

This character is cool, he looks a nice guy.

Postby Cheecken » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 am

Cheecken

Nice self portrait!

Postby everfae » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 am

everfae

Damn, just took sometime to look through your whole sketchbook.
You work is so delightful, from your sketches to your coloured portraits, and your rate of improvement inspires me so much. I love this thread! I can't wait to see more, your stuff is amazing.
Do you have an instagram or gallery or page or something?
:)
you can call me flower if you want to
instagram
my sketchbook

Postby voe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 am

voe

I really love your self portrait! Did you use a photo of yourself or a mirror? If mirror how do you manage to go back to the same position I've been trying to do this but I can't seem to resume.

Postby DRaff210 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:46 am

DRaff210

Wow, thanks so much, you guys!

everfae wrote:Damn, just took sometime to look through your whole sketchbook.
You work is so delightful, from your sketches to your coloured portraits, and your rate of improvement inspires me so much. I love this thread! I can't wait to see more, your stuff is amazing.
Do you have an instagram or gallery or page or something?
:)

Thank you so much for the lovely words! I don't have an Instagram or anything like that - it's pretty much just this, haha. I do have a Twitter - just added the link to my signature - but it's basically just a filtered-out version of this sketchbook. :lol:

voe wrote:I really love your self portrait! Did you use a photo of yourself or a mirror? If mirror how do you manage to go back to the same position I've been trying to do this but I can't seem to resume.

Thank you! I didn't use a photo, and I only used a mirror very minimally to make sure I was getting my facial features right, and also to quickly check the folds on my sweatshirt. Other than that, the pose is from imagination.

I realized I have't posted my figure studies in a while, so here are some from the past few weeks.

Figures
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg
FullSizeRender (10).jpg

Some random bears, courtesy of Aaron Blaise. Love that guy's art so much.

Bears.jpg

More of my characters that constitute like 90% of everything I draw. :lol:

i2.2.jpg

I also found some of my first drawings that I made of them a little over a year ago, and man, the old ones make me cringe super hard now... :oops:

i1.jpg

And finally, some kind of... lunar demon? Inspired after listening to Thriller on repeat for like hours on end. :D Tried to be experimental with the colors on this one.

Lunar Demon - Black.jpg

Postby Ragamuffin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:21 am

Ragamuffin

The figures look great!
Love your character designs. Great improvement in one year, too!

Postby Cheecken » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:28 am

Cheecken

I really enjoy the latest painting, nice contrast between green and red. Also interesting to see this change in other artists characters. I think there is one character I have that is completely unchanged from the beginning, but the rest have all dramatically changed. Nice update!

Postby Alpacky » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:56 am

Alpacky

One year.... 0-0

I mean, I can sort of see it. I think that, in 2016, you were limited by a couple smaller things, like construction, and some anatomy, but otherwise knew how to do stuff. And then, in that year you fixed those couple issues and shown through.

Regardless. Incredible, love the ever growing appeal of your characters. :D
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby snisetski » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:54 am

snisetski

Your coloring technique definitely reached a pro level, I personally feel that way. Also, the rhythm is very beautiful in your drawings. The texture and details are on spot! I love your style. It's beautiful!

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook