Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Decimus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Decimus

Subject title: DRaff210's Sketchbook

I like this! Keep it up!

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:59 pm

AlwaysARookie

I can only second Decimus :) Really nice stuff and inspiring for me.
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:41 am

DRaff210

Decimus wrote:I like this! Keep it up!

AlwaysARookie wrote:I can only second Decimus :) Really nice stuff and inspiring for me.

Thanks, you guys! Means a lot to hear that.

I binge-watched Sycra's Foundations of Light and Shadow videos yesterday to try to get a basic grasp on values, as up till now I've done virtually no value studies. The videos really helped me start to understand some of the fundamentals, so I tried to put what I learned to use with Beast Dude's head.

Attempt 1: Fail.
Value 1.jpg

Attempt 2: Fail.
Value 2.jpg

Attempt 3: Less of a fail! (Any pointers would be super appreciated.)
Value 3.jpg

And some random Bridgman arms, why not.
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Postby Valkhira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:33 am

Valkhira

I love your non-human character pieces, especially the one with the... family? It's adorable and beautiful!
And you're doing a great job with the value studies. I'm still working on that, but just as another pair of eyes: Maybe a bit of shadow where the hood meets the fur to show that it's going inside of it. A shadow against the farther side of the hood from the face. Cast shadows for the antlers too.
Also, I don't know it that was on the foundations of light and shadow from Sycra, but remember that different hues have different values, so if you have a clear color for your character take it into account if you haven't!
I don't think there's anything else... I'd probably just add a bit more contrast (darker values make everything else pop, if that's something you like) and make more shinny some materials (like the circle on the hood, which I'm guessing should be metal, right?).
Hope any of this was useful ^^ Keep up the good work!
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:00 am

DRaff210

Valkhira wrote:I love your non-human character pieces, especially the one with the... family? It's adorable and beautiful!
And you're doing a great job with the value studies. I'm still working on that, but just as another pair of eyes: Maybe a bit of shadow where the hood meets the fur to show that it's going inside of it. A shadow against the farther side of the hood from the face. Cast shadows for the antlers too.
Also, I don't know it that was on the foundations of light and shadow from Sycra, but remember that different hues have different values, so if you have a clear color for your character take it into account if you haven't!
I don't think there's anything else... I'd probably just add a bit more contrast (darker values make everything else pop, if that's something you like) and make more shinny some materials (like the circle on the hood, which I'm guessing should be metal, right?).
Hope any of this was useful ^^ Keep up the good work!

thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I see what you mean about contrast being an issue - I'm finding myself struggling a lot with keeping everything balanced. Also, your point about keeping in mind the inherent value of certain hues/materials is extremely important, too - it took me a while to figure out why my studies kept looking like stone statues instead of monochrome versions of actual characters/objects!

Here's another sloppy character painting; I experimented with a different technique this time. Not too happy with it, but I learned a lot.
Eran.jpg

Postby Decimus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Decimus

Yer focus on the process of doing something different/challenging/downright uncomfortable that's the only way to progress. Im also at the point where i need to push my drawings forward by trying out time saving methods while remaining consistent. As long as you're learning then victory has been achieved. Keep it up! Continue the experimentss 8-)

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:43 pm

DRaff210

Decimus wrote:Yer focus on the process of doing something different/challenging/downright uncomfortable that's the only way to progress. Im also at the point where i need to push my drawings forward by trying out time saving methods while remaining consistent. As long as you're learning then victory has been achieved. Keep it up! Continue the experimentss 8-)

Very true! I'm typically very afraid of experimenting and cling to methods that I find work, but then, it's impossible to grow.

Another sketchy character bust. Definitely bit off more than I can chew with the upshot angle, and the colors are dreadful IMO. But I think the values are sort of maybe okay, ahaha.
Roscoe Color.jpg
Roscoe Values.jpg

Postby Oblongly » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Oblongly

Whoa, I really liked going through your sketchbook, you improved so much. I like the way you draw your figures, you can "feel" the form. Also I get how you feel about painting, I'm going through the same thing, " I don't know what I'm doing 8-), but I'm doing it anyway." Like you said, it's the way to improve haha. I like your painting though. Can't wait to see more!
F. 21. Working towards becoming a professional concept artist/ hobby animator

My Sketchbook
http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73873

Postby geryes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 pm

geryes

Very nice figure studies, and I love your character designs. They have a lot of charm to them. :)
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DRaff210 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:56 am

DRaff210

Oblongly wrote:Whoa, I really liked going through your sketchbook, you improved so much. I like the way you draw your figures, you can "feel" the form. Also I get how you feel about painting, I'm going through the same thing, " I don't know what I'm doing 8-), but I'm doing it anyway." Like you said, it's the way to improve haha. I like your painting though. Can't wait to see more!

Thank you so much! I'm so so glad to hear that you see improvement, because some days, I hardly feel like I'm improving at all... :cry:
And yes, the best way to learn stuff is to just do it! Even if it's a tremendous failure, it helps you learn what *not* to do, which is very valuable in and of itself.

geryes wrote:Very nice figure studies, and I love your character designs. They have a lot of charm to them. :)

That means a lot, thank you!

Here are a pair of color thumbnails I was testing out for a sketch. I still have nearly no idea what I'm doing with regard to color - frustrating! - but I'm pressing onward.

Attempt 1: Colors are kind of ugly, but I like the contrast.
Plant Powers 1.jpg

Attempt 2: I think the colors are much more interesting, but the contrast is a little lower.
Plant Powers 2.jpg

He's supposed to be summoning, like, tree branches from the ground, but it might look more like they're on fire. >_> Oh well! Any and all pointers are deeply appreciated, as usual.

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:53 pm

DRaff210

I don't even want to admit how long it took me to sketch this... :oops: Wanted to try posing my characters in an illustration-y way; it was a fun way to test my composition capabilities. Please feel free to pick out anything you see wrong - i.e. I know my anatomy is definitely not up to snuff.

IMG_6074.JPG

This made me realize that the fish woman's design is super clothing-unfriendly... gotta figure out how to design an outfit around those back fins and her giant tail. Hmmm.

I gotta say I've been feeling a little insecure about my output here. I draw a lot more than I post here (I try to do about 90 mins of gesture/figure drawing a day, minimum), but I only post things I want to share - i.e. things I'd like feedback on or feel even slightly happy with. I see so many users posting tons and tons of studies and it's so inspiring to see, so I'm wondering if maybe I should try switching my mindset.

I'm just rambling now, but I guess I wonder if anyone else feels the same way? It'd be interesting to hear.

Postby Oblongly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 am

Oblongly

I think your illustration turned out really nice and I feel like the composition lead my eye to all of the correct places. The only thing that looks sort of off to me are the boy's hands/forearms. Even though foreshortening is happening, it wouldn't be that much.

Example
Spoiler: show

Also I wouldn't worry to much about how long a drawing took you speed will improve with practice! Also post whatever you feel comfortable posting, you don't have show people all of your art, maybe you want to keep some things private. At the same time I don't think anyone here would be judging you, everyone is here to learn and grow with each other ^^.
F. 21. Working towards becoming a professional concept artist/ hobby animator

My Sketchbook
http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73873

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:30 am

AlwaysARookie

About that illustration: I like it because I read a lot as I was younger and imagining the stuff from books with your inner eye is really a great experience even if it is maybe scary too sometimes. And thats where I was wondering why he looks the way he looks. Isn't the first "thing" above him his friend? Or is it because the hand of the top guy is grabbing him?

If you feel like posting it I would say go ahead if you want to show it. Just today when I shower the forum to a friend she said that its amazing that you also get to see the not so perfect stuff and the learning progress instead of for example tutorials where people draw the perfect eye and you try it yourself as a beginner and it sucks and you get demotivated because you don't think about the time the tutorialperson put in but your own inability. I post almost everything at the moment because I want to show the progress and kind of document it for myself and maybe others if they can use it.
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby Azy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:57 am

Azy

I wouldn't worry too much about what you output. On the other hand, posting what you may not feel comfortable posting may help you the most as people could point out the errors. I seem to have the opposite problem haha. I see people posting only their characters, portraits, landscapes, figures, etc. compared to my stuff. I know it's not good to compare yourself with others, but it makes me feel like I'm in a different world compared to what others are working on.

Postby PuRin0 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:52 pm

PuRin0

I really like your illustrations ! and your characters look like something from Pixar owo

Postby DRaff210 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:58 am

DRaff210

Oblongly wrote:I think your illustration turned out really nice and I feel like the composition lead my eye to all of the correct places. The only thing that looks sort of off to me are the boy's hands/forearms. Even though foreshortening is happening, it wouldn't be that much.

Example

Ooh, thanks for the tip about the arms. I knew they looked a little off, but I couldn't figure out what it was; that reference picture helps a lot.

AlwaysARookie wrote:About that illustration: I like it because I read a lot as I was younger and imagining the stuff from books with your inner eye is really a great experience even if it is maybe scary too sometimes. And thats where I was wondering why he looks the way he looks. Isn't the first "thing" above him his friend? Or is it because the hand of the top guy is grabbing him?

Thanks! I'm so glad that's the feeling you got, since that's pretty much what I was going for. And yep, the two above him are his friends; his face was supposed to be more surprised or in wonder, but maybe I didn't convey that clearly enough.

Azy wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about what you output. On the other hand, posting what you may not feel comfortable posting may help you the most as people could point out the errors. I seem to have the opposite problem haha. I see people posting only their characters, portraits, landscapes, figures, etc. compared to my stuff. I know it's not good to compare yourself with others, but it makes me feel like I'm in a different world compared to what others are working on.

Thanks. I think it's cool that you're posting your studies!

PuRin0 wrote:I really like your illustrations ! and your characters look like something from Pixar owo

What no way! Thanks!

I appreciate the discussion on the topic of insecurities on what we post from all you guys. The common theme seems to be that we're all here to learn and grow together, so it doesn't really make too much sense to worry a lot about what I post. It's hard to shake that feeling, but I'll see if I can try to be a little more open about my art.

Aaaanyway, here's another value study. I'll post the link to the reference image when I can find it again, lol.
Face Value 2.jpg
Last edited by DRaff210 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:43 am

DRaff210

Another value study, this time of another artist's illustration of the Beast. My monster dude character take some pretty obvious beats from Beast's design, so I figured that painting him would help me gain a bit of an understanding of my own character's face. It was also a good way to practice hair since he's totally covered in it. :lol:

The original illustration by JordanKerbow can be found here: http://jordankerbow.deviantart.com/art/Beast-536933441
The user's DeviantArt page is here: http://jordankerbow.deviantart.com/

The original artist takes full artistic credit for the illustration; my painting is merely a duplication for the sole educational purpose of studying values and practicing capturing a likeness. [Disclaimer end. :p]
Face Value 3.jpg

Postby PuRin0 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:34 pm

PuRin0

That last study is really Amazing *o*

Postby DRaff210 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:42 am

DRaff210

PuRin0 wrote:That last study is really Amazing *o*

Thanks!

A little doodle where my characters are getting into the holiday spirit. Merry Christmas!

Christmas.jpg

Postby N.K. » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:44 am

N.K.

Wow, those studies are very nice :) And Merry Christmas to you too!

Postby Wyntry » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:44 pm

Wyntry

DRaff210 wrote:
Another value study, this time of another artist's illustration of the Beast. My monster dude character take some pretty obvious beats from Beast's design, so I figured that painting him would help me gain a bit of an understanding of my own character's face. It was also a good way to practice hair since he's totally covered in it. :lol:

The original illustration by JordanKerbow can be found here: http://jordankerbow.deviantart.com/art/Beast-536933441
The user's DeviantArt page is here: http://jordankerbow.deviantart.com/

The original artist takes full artistic credit for the illustration; my painting is merely a duplication for the sole educational purpose of studying values and practicing capturing a likeness. [Disclaimer end. :p]
Face Value 3.jpg

Holy hell. Nice Study. I can see the influence when it comes to your character... them values, man.
:D Have a great Christmas.
"Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing". -Yamaoka Tesshu
Sketchbook: http://sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9424
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/artofwyntry/

Postby DRaff210 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:33 am

DRaff210

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Holiday nonsense has left little time for art, which is sad. But of course here's a thing of Mr. Moss Man Guy, because he's one of like 3 things I draw, lmao.

IMG_6190.JPG

I've been trying to stray away from relying on blend modes to achieve lighting/shading, since I feel like you can achieve a much more natural result by manually choosing colors... buuut, I wanted to try something different. I'm sort of pleased with the colors, but not a fan of the process - I still prefer the feel of painting all on one layer and not micromanaging blend mode layers. Also, I really want to stop relying on line art, since it usually looks terrible when i do it, ahaha. If anyone has experience with blending lineart into a rendered painting, I'd love to hear some tips :lol: (Or if you see any other things I can work on, that's welcome too, lol.)

Postby Koźlik » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:19 am

Koźlik

Very cool sketchbook you have here, man!

I love your characters and colors you use in your pieces! I also like your anatomy studies a lot!
Hope to see more stuff from you!
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby DRaff210 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 am

DRaff210

Koźlik wrote:Very cool sketchbook you have here, man!

I love your characters and colors you use in your pieces! I also like your anatomy studies a lot!
Hope to see more stuff from you!

Thanks so much!

I tried out a simpler painting style, and I kind of like the potential of the result, but I'm not happy with the drawing, here. The anatomy's all fudged up and way stiffer and less gestural than what I'm used to. Oh, well.

C1.jpg
C2.jpg

Also trying to actually figure out monster dude's body shape instead of basically guessing every time, lol. I want him to be slouchy and fat and kind of goofy, but also beastly and powerful-looking; it's hard for me to find a balance.

C3.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook