Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Steeliebob » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:54 pm

Steeliebob

Subject title: DarkLored's Sketchbook [NSFW] [Critique Welcome]

Good studies going on here!

Postby geryes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:16 am

geryes

Very nice studies. I like that you are practicing perspective too. Keep up the great work!
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:49 am

DarkLored123

Thanks! I've done some form study however I spotted that I am kind of weak in subtracting forms I'll work on tackling the issue though.

Postby Engell79 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:25 am

Engell79

this last batch, i like the model you made with the sphere and the "tower" with a "door" square and a dent, very nice
a hard shape to make that indentation into, and preserve perspective.

good studies reminds me that i have to do that for warm up more.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:52 am

DarkLored123

I've done some more subtraction from forms and constructed a decent heli from imagination even though I am not very familiar with how helicopters look like other than their general shape.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:43 am

DarkLored123

I've been a little bit rusty today for some reason, just did some random sketches.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:54 am

DarkLored123

I'm still a bit rusty but I've worked on some proportion and drew some random heads and human body parts.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:31 am

DarkLored123

I've decided to work some more on my perspective, I do not feel like I've went anywhere from where I was but I am determined to break it down eventually.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:22 am

DarkLored123

So I decided to explore perspective more and drew two cars, I wanted to do the Lambo but decided to give up on it and moved to an easier vehicle such as the GT. I've done these sketches over traditional media using a ball-point pen.

I'll put fourth what I did wrong in the GT and Lambo, I forgot to take the horizon line into account for example the GT was supposed to see from a worm's eye view rather than a bird's eye, I kind of screwed up the base and that made me fill in the blanks from my visual library as I used reference for this, although the perspective is kind of good what I was aiming for is completely different.

Postby Azy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:53 am

Azy

Seems pretty well done for unplotted/freehand perspective. My biggest gripe is the amount of lines. "Think in your head, not on the paper", take as much time as you need to ghost and think about your lines before you put them down. You may have just been going for something quicker and sketchy, but I feel like this is just too much, it's hard to make some things out. I don't know if you've heard of/are or have read Scott Robertson's "How to Draw", but that has a ton of good perspective stuff, so I'd recommend that at the moment as I'm going to go through it as well shortly.

Postby PuRin0 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:30 am

PuRin0

those cars are really cool owo

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 am

DarkLored123

Azy wrote:Seems pretty well done for unplotted/freehand perspective. My biggest gripe is the amount of lines. "Think in your head, not on the paper", take as much time as you need to ghost and think about your lines before you put them down. You may have just been going for something quicker and sketchy, but I feel like this is just too much, it's hard to make some things out. I don't know if you've heard of/are or have read Scott Robertson's "How to Draw", but that has a ton of good perspective stuff, so I'd recommend that at the moment as I'm going to go through it as well shortly.

Thanks for the critique, I do agree with you mentioning that I was thinking on paper it's something I struggled with for quite some time now, I am trying to work on thinking clearly while drawing since I am struggling with it.

So I know I haven't been active much on forums, I just had to think about a few things over these few days and change my approach to how I should practice. I've continued perspective and this time I think I'll try and apply most of the rules into a simplified version of it so any tips will help out in the long run.

So in this image I pretty much practiced with the diagonal thingy on the cubes/rectangles to determine the distance of each object, I think I did a good job at that. I also applied the rule that states every object that is facing a different direction has it's own vanishing point, I think I need to work more on that since I still need to figure out how it works in two point perspective and three point.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:47 am

DarkLored123

I've decided to work on a drawing of a girl that is in a very sad situation where she is hopeless and is on the ground, this is still work in progress since I need to figure out how to do the hair and so on, let your imagination run :D

Postby Valkhira » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:40 am

Valkhira

Those cars are really nice! Good perspective studies too. Adding to the "thinking on your head": I recommend you try ghosting the lines to help with it. It was a great exercise to me! You have a nice explanation and practice stuff on drawabox's lesson 1 on basics. Just go to part one: lines ^^
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:00 pm

DarkLored123

Valkhira wrote:Those cars are really nice! Good perspective studies too. Adding to the "thinking on your head": I recommend you try ghosting the lines to help with it. It was a great exercise to me! You have a nice explanation and practice stuff on drawabox's lesson 1 on basics. Just go to part one: lines ^^

Thanks for the comment.

So I decided doing a female figure laying on the ground in perspective:

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:08 pm

DarkLored123

So I've done another sketch of a female figure this time being viewed from a worm's eye view in three point perspective, hands came out too small and the feet could use a slightly bigger scale. The perspective is good in my opinion but the legs should've been resized a little bit to give an impression that it is closer to you.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:32 pm

DarkLored123

I've decided to do try to put a character in two point perspective this time, it's pretty good tell me if the character seems a bit off I am not sure.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:42 pm

DarkLored123

I've worked on a Christmas drawing but decided to abandon it since I caught a cold and couldn't go through with the drawing, I've noticed so many mistakes with the foreshortening, placement, etc... I also couldn't be bothered to color it or add details due to my impatience.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 am

DarkLored123

Decided to make a comeback after a few months of being away from the forums, I've still been practicing art though and I might not have this sketchbook that active anyway but while I am working on finished pieces I might post sketches occasionally.

So I've decided to make a finished illustration of Rem in an action pose, there are some revisions I would like to make to the arm that is not holding the weapon, maybe even change the position of the body since I feel like force isn't being emitted and the pose is rather more relaxed, tell me what you think about the pose also this probably the first time I ever incorporated an action pose so it might not be the best product, but I have a few thumbnails at my disposal that have good poses that I thought of for this particular drawing that can work at my skill level. As always critique is welcome.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:02 am

DarkLored123

I've made some revisions to the sketch I posted yesterday, changed the proportions, moved body parts and changed the position of the hand to better illustrate a grip. I've had a friend redline my sketch to give me a visual representation of what I wanted to achieve and so far it's going good but I am battling as to what to do with the arm on the right.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am

DarkLored123

I've made some more progress on the sketch, jeez now I need to continue it digitally since I can't figure out a way to transfer it to a new page clearly like I was able to before, but I should be able to tackle it and I will take my time on making it. After I finish the character sketch I'll start working on the background, so far the progress is going well for me.

Postby KeaneFox » Sat May 13, 2017 11:58 am

KeaneFox

I like your putting character in perspective. been looking into how to do that.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:42 pm

DarkLored123

KeaneFox wrote:I like your putting character in perspective. been looking into how to do that.

You need to treat perspective more like a camera or a person viewing a scene, also be aware of why there are 3 vanishing points and what their origins are. For example perspective is essentially a simplification of the X, Y and Z axis, each of these axis have two vanishing points of their own so in total you have 6 vanishing points, the reason we use most of the time only 3 is because we can only see what's in front of us. Using a 3D program will go into more detail as to how perspective is in actuality but also keep in mind that constructing perspective isn't necessary and it limits you, in this sketch I've simply drew the grid and the projecting lines to give me a sense of where the camera is looking which is more to the right, you need to keep track on how vanishing points shift in position as you move your camera.

I've also got a lot of advice from an artist named Nsio, I've requested critiques from him and he mentioned that throwing away the perspective system but keeping the principles behind it will allow more lively perspective, essentially following the system too literally creates limits that do not allow you to capture the image you wanted, I've also picked up a few methods from animators I've looked up some documentaries and saw how they apply perspective which helped me learn a bit more on how to use it.

You need to search for a method that works best for you, as long as the rules are followed whichever method you use to construct perspective will be accurate. I personally found that drawing things inside of boxes is limiting and stiffens my drawings so I just draw the character and use the X, Y, and Z axis on the objects of the character as reference for the accuracy of perspective. If I had follow the traditional way of laying down perspective I'd probably wouldn't even come close to be able to do this sort of thing. To truly understand perspective you constantly need to take a few steps back ask yourself if you really understand it and look for the missing pieces of the puzzle, I've pretty much constantly contradicted my actions and looked for ways to observe how perspective is done by animators since they specialize in it, each time I've had to dump some information I had and bring new information in.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:14 am

DarkLored123

Welp I've added all the details into the character, was a very tedious process and adding details is probably one my weaknesses which I will have to work on as I continue practicing. This is pretty much how the character will look like, obviously it'll be cleaner though since I am working on the line-art digitally now, after finishing the lineart I am planning on working on a background for the scene and then adding it into the entire illustration, coloring it and then finally finishing it.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:03 am

DarkLored123

I've decided I'd update my sketchbook, I've been focusing more on gesture and the human figure so far.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook