Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 am

DarkLored123

Subject title: DarkLored's Sketchbook [NSFW] [Critique Welcome]

Just some practice.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 pm

DarkLored123

Been a while, I took a few weeks off because I was stressed and felt lost with the direction I am taking with my art. I had a conversation with an artist and he pointed out my mistakes very clearly, so now I feel like I can direct my attention to my weaknesses a bit more. I am currently trying to solve my problem with inconsistent perspective, and see where it goes from there.

Postby Ionflux » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Ionflux

Hey! It's hard to tell without knowing your process in detail, but from your sketches it looks to me like you spend a lot of time to get your studies clean and make the construction correct. I see this a lot with people interested in manga style, and I guess it is because manga usually has very neat lines and certain ways of deconstructing the figure - which is fine by me and of course requires studying in its own right.

But for developing an intuitive understanding of things like gesture and perspective of the human body, I think it helps a lot do keep it loose and do a lot of short and sketchy studies. I am still working on this myself, but what helped me a lot was limiting myself to one to 3 minutes at max (per pose) and trying to just capture the essence of a pose, and then doing lots of those quick drawings. It does not need to look good and you don't have to show it to anyone, but it will help a great deal!

There is also a great exercise where you look at your ref for a really short time just to get an idea, then cover the ref and try to draw it from memory. Then you draw it from the ref again, and then once more from memory. It's a bit tedious but you will be amazed by the results.

Anyway, nice studies, keep it up! :)
»The multiverse doesn't make sense, and it ain't supposed to.«
SketchbookDeviantArtArtStationInstagramFacebook

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 am

DarkLored123

Ionflux wrote:Hey! It's hard to tell without knowing your process in detail, but from your sketches it looks to me like you spend a lot of time to get your studies clean and make the construction correct. I see this a lot with people interested in manga style, and I guess it is because manga usually has very neat lines and certain ways of deconstructing the figure - which is fine by me and of course requires studying in its own right.

But for developing an intuitive understanding of things like gesture and perspective of the human body, I think it helps a lot do keep it loose and do a lot of short and sketchy studies. I am still working on this myself, but what helped me a lot was limiting myself to one to 3 minutes at max (per pose) and trying to just capture the essence of a pose, and then doing lots of those quick drawings. It does not need to look good and you don't have to show it to anyone, but it will help a great deal!

There is also a great exercise where you look at your ref for a really short time just to get an idea, then cover the ref and try to draw it from memory. Then you draw it from the ref again, and then once more from memory. It's a bit tedious but you will be amazed by the results.

Anyway, nice studies, keep it up! :)

Hello, I have to disagree with your first paragraph right there. I don't really spend a lot of time cleaning my lines, and if you had asked me if my sketches appear clean I would say no, because they are not. It does not really take me a lot of time to draw these out, I just do things this way because I think it is much more efficient for me. You see, I think that spending a lot of time on 5 to 10 sketches with intense focus is much more useful than just multiplying the amount of sketches you do, and I think it is pretty self-evident why it seems that way. Drawing manga requires clean lines, that is true since they carry the drawing, however I do not think that the approach is any different than other mediums. This is actually the first time I heard that constructing bodies for manga is different from other styles which simply is not true at all, you can construct them whichever way, and I think that aiming for correct construction is the right way to go about it. There is a difference between allowing mistakes to happen to learn from, and making careless mistakes.

No offense, but I have actually been focusing on developing this "intuitive" sense during my break from college, and it absolutely did nothing for me. First of all, I do not believe that you can learn something without analyzing your output with the theory in mind, and building intuition in your context is like saying that you do it for the sake of building up speed, which in of itself will happen naturally as you get comfortable with the subject you are trying to learn. I got my advice from a pretty competent artist whom I trust more than anyone that has ever given me advice before, because he has something to back it up with and it makes sense. I am analytical by nature, so developing an "intuitive" feel for perspective and gesture never actually makes logical sense to me, if you look at my digital sketches the perspective is so broken that I want to laugh at how many mistakes were made that could have been easily avoided if I had not followed the "intuitive" approach. Just like I said earlier, to me spending time on a few sketches that have all your attention, is much better than simply piling up numbers with scattered focus. Also, I wouldn't call what I am doing as study, because I am not studying any knowledge right now that I do not know, what I am doing is practice and that's pretty much it.

Yeah I've heard of that exercise, someone created a book based on an experiment that uses that exercise, although I do not think it'll be of much use for me as it requires that I draw specific things, and I think that I'll be able to spend that time more efficiently if I focused on the fundamentals as a whole rather than drawing specific subjects.

I hope you do not take offense to what I said, but I simply cannot agree with your opinion. At least what you recommended does not work for me, and right now I am simply settling into drawing again slowly. Thanks for the comment though ^^

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:10 pm

DarkLored123

First drawing from reference, second drawing from memory after looking at a reference.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 pm

DarkLored123

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm

DarkLored123

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:33 pm

DarkLored123

Some practice from some book scans I found online

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:38 pm

DarkLored123

Sketch for an illustration that I am working on, gotta fix the proportions and dynamism.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:04 am

DarkLored123

Fixed some errors and added ink. Hopefully going to finish this by tomorrow.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:23 am

DarkLored123

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:33 am

DarkLored123

Started doing some manga studies:

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:08 am

DarkLored123

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:49 pm

DarkLored123

Been doing some critique to practice my analysis skills.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 am

DarkLored123

Studied a painting made by Radiokeg

Postby Josephcow » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Josephcow

Wow nice painting study! That's really beautiful lighting. I would only note the bellybutton placement before keeping going with it.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:50 pm

DarkLored123

Josephcow wrote:Wow nice painting study! That's really beautiful lighting. I would only note the bellybutton placement before keeping going with it.

Thank you, although I color picked most of it because I was trying to focus on placement of colors on forms rather than picking the colors by myself, it was more of a way to convince myself that if I try I can learn to do the same thing.

Did another round of critique for someone on YouTube. Really useful way to learn to spot mistakes and analyze things objectively, although I might need to start analyzing my own finished pieces so that I can apply that skill to myself.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:53 pm

DarkLored123

Decided to return after I took a pretty long break from drawing. I experienced burnout for a while due to not being able to find the motivation to practice and feeling like there was no progress being made. The break definitely helped and I want to commit to my sketchbook here once again, although now I have a different practicing method that I thought up for myself, hopefully it'll work.

I am currently practicing drawing heads as a warm up, been using some diagrams made by radiokeg as a reference:

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:34 am

DarkLored123

Did some torso practice, looking back at what I have done in the past really shows that the difference was like night and day. Really helping me stay motivated to do more.

Previous

Return to Sketchbook