Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, Ambiguity, virtueone

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 am

DarkLored123

Subject title: DarkLored's Sketchbook [NSFW] [Critique Welcome]

Got to do some more form studies, it is going pretty smoothly however I still need to gain some confidence by doing some simple stuff since I found it difficult to draw complex forms.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 pm

DarkLored123

I've done a study of a reference I used mainly to see how I understand forms and perspective, I've had to do a few attempts since I am not so used to the drawing tablet yet but the study was invaluable and I think my attempt is pretty decent. The artist that I used the reference is called "Deel" if you want to search him up he has some good sketches and so on on pixiv, really amazing artist.

Postby DarkLored123 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 am

DarkLored123

Another attempt that I've done today on the reference image, I also attempted on a Ford Explorer but it was too overwhelming for me at the moment. So far I see improvement both in perspective and form.

Postby piikeo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:23 pm

piikeo

you can definitely see improvement between the two pictures, even though you only posted them a day apart!
that's rlly good !!

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 am

DarkLored123

piikeo wrote:you can definitely see improvement between the two pictures, even though you only posted them a day apart!
that's rlly good !!

Indeed, although this is one reference image but I am planning to go for other images as well, I think I am heading towards the right direction now since my main objective is to be able to see forms and the perspective in other images so as long as I do that from reference for a while and gain confidence I will gradually start working on images from imagination.

This is the last iteration of the image, I think I decently captured the perspective and form although I do need to work on alignment of the objects when I am drawing them in but so far it is good. From now on I am going for different types of references that include animals, cars, and so on.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:16 pm

DarkLored123

Postby Moe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 am

Moe

I like your analytical path. I'm curious to see where it would take you. When I watched Marshall Vandruff lectures a while back, one thing he mentioned is that when you focus too much on perspective, you risk losing gestural integrity. The best way, he says, is to do both. Doing gesture studies alongside your perspective studies and then bringing everything together will yield the best results. Good luck.
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Postby DarkLored123 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 pm

DarkLored123

Moe wrote:I like your analytical path. I'm curious to see where it would take you. When I watched Marshall Vandruff lectures a while back, one thing he mentioned is that when you focus too much on perspective, you risk losing gestural integrity. The best way, he says, is to do both. Doing gesture studies alongside your perspective studies and then bringing everything together will yield the best results. Good luck.

Yes I am aware that I am sacrificing the gesture, actually I can vouch for the fact that Marshall is right to some extent. When I studied gesture, the same thing has happened to me just the other way around. Basically I focused on gesture, but lost integrity with perspective which is a big problem for me since I value perspective most.

I am currently deliberately focusing on perspective, and form strictly. I might lose some integrity with gesture, but I am not planning to use it until I get decent enough with the basics, also since I have some experience with gesture under my belt I already know how to go about it in my own way, I just need to figure out the more advanced parts of dynamism.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll keep it in mind when I feel a bit more confident with perspective and form.

Postby Steeliebob » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Steeliebob

I agree, Combining both seems to one of those things that will come when just practicing both but has to be slowly build up. :(
I think you do well on the construction practice. Keep going! :)

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 am

DarkLored123

So during break between classes in college I took the chance to sketch some vehicles. I am really satisfied with the steady progress that I've been making, I watched a couple of videos and picked up a way to draw the vehicles through sections and for now I am just seeing where that method takes me.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:43 am

DarkLored123

This is a work in progress for an amateur contest that I decided to take part in. I thought that the best course of action is to go with a basic angle and a simple pose so I don't stress too much about getting it right, so far I am satisfied with the direction this is taking. I had to make many revisions but now I am at the stage where I feel confident enough to add the details, depending on how it comes out I might or might not decide to redo it.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:47 am

DarkLored123

This is the finished look of the sketch that I worked for the amateur contest. If you ask me, I am pretty satisfied with this, but I still have some time till the deadline and I might work on some other poses and see what works or catches my eye more, but that is a big if.

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:58 pm

DarkLored123

This is the finalized version of the drawing, I made minor adjustments. I am very satisfied with the result, and I've submitted it to the amateur drawing contest.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm

DarkLored123

I broke down an F-16 from a reference and it turned out pretty good compared to other attempts, I also redrew a very old drawing that I did during 2016 and that was also pretty successful.

Postby DarkLored123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 pm

DarkLored123

Another redrawing from previous sketches that I've done during my beginning stages, I kind of like the improvement I am seeing from all the form study I've been doing. After I am done with the sketch, I am most likely going to go back to some rudimentary practice to train my skills.

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

ColonelHacker12

I love your use of construction cubes for your characters.
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

Postby geryes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 am

geryes

Really great progress you've made so far! Your construction lines are improving greatly. Keep up the great work!
I too mainly draw girls. Sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 am

DarkLored123

Thanks you two, yes my construction has improved. It seems like the answers were always right in front of me and I was just too stubborn to accept it, luckily I woke up from my delusions and can pursue the improvement I desire.

On another note, I finished up the sketch with primarily fixing perspective and the form of the legs, added some details as well. I am in the shading process so tell me what you think, I really tried working with a proper light source this time so I hope I did decently.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:17 pm

DarkLored123

Finally got to finish the sketch, I've painted over it and I am quite satisfied with the result I've gotten. It came out just as I imagined it would, I had a lot of fun working on this.

Postby DarkLored123 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:31 am

DarkLored123

Been busy with college lately so didn't have much time to practice properly, but I got some things done on the side including this redrawing of an OC that some deviant artist created, I also drew figures from four different angles but struggled with it a bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook