Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby XFlameR » Sun May 29, 2016 10:09 pm

XFlameR

Subject title: XFlameR's Sketchbook (NSFW occasionally)

Hello there, welcome to my sketchbook!

My name is XFlameR but you can also find me as DarkFlame while my real name is Norbert Szabo. I'm from country called Hungary but everyone just says hungry anyway and I'm totally okay with that :)

I'm kinda old I think, I'm 24 yo. And I started drawing about 5 years ago or if the doodling on my exersize book's margin counts I'm doing it about 6-7 years. In that 5 years was only doodling and smudging the digital paint around.
I decided to be open minded and start a sketchbook, this is where I will post all of my studies and failures during improving my skills.

My goal is to get deeper into the fundamentals and be a better artist, also not to get lazy and stay on the first page :)

I'm not really sure with where I should start, but what I'm aiming for is get better at perspective, gestures and anatomy mainly.

Spoiler: show
These are mainly digital works.

I think I had a trust tablet for these drawings and I remember that it was bit crappy... but i loved it somehow
fantasy stuff.png

WWII.png

strange.jpg

in 2012 only did 3D render stuffs

2013:

2013-12-09 19.04.18_1.jpg

This is just my college's hallway... it's so funny to see like that
2013-12-09 19.03.19_1.jpg

Kind of my first drawing that people liked I guess.
beast.jpg

I definitely liked that one I remember
piano1.jpg

Kind of weird stuff, half of it is a reference from real life and that sticky liquefied stuff just imaginary.
Képkivágás (2).PNG

Eyes because why not?
Eye-Test.jpg

clip (2013-11-18 at 10.13.51_1).jpg

2014:

03.jpg

Still have no idea how I did this just with painting without any marks, I'm pretty sure around this time I only painted stuff.
face_cry.jpg

lotus.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

I've did a terrible mistake, this thing could hunt me D:
Untitled-4.jpg

a life model drawing in college where there was a digital art study group just like in a japanese anime where people doing stuff after classes. Also because of this study group I started to love painting a lot.
14_03_Positure_life_model.png

It's not a sketch really but it represents where i was in terms of skills I think
huskies3.png

01.jpg

02.jpg

2015:

She's my one of best friend, just drew her, I used graphite pencils and 0.5 technical pencil I think
CAM00547_m1.jpg

Actually this is not entirely mine, the idea itself belongs to GalooGameLady but this is my interpretation of her creatures.
gglady_1.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have much more than this from this time, only fully polished artworks

Some of 2016, recent stuff, this is when the fun begins because I decided to wear off that painting-smudging thing

16_04_22_Pelvis_Studies_1.png

16_04_24_Skulls_1.png

Few style studies or just experimentation by accidentally I painted too hard shadows, and made me think...
16_05_11_Hard_light_style_01.jpg

16_05_11_Hard_light_style_02.jpg

I've reached the upload limit. I'll upload some more tomorrow I think because it's pretty late here now D:
Last edited by XFlameR on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Steeliebob » Mon May 30, 2016 10:10 am

Steeliebob

Sweet start of your sketchbook Flamer. I'm really digging the rendered skull on the top left. Also the one with the huskies. :)

Postby XFlameR » Mon May 30, 2016 10:23 am

XFlameR

Steeliebob wrote:Sweet start of your sketchbook Flamer. I'm really digging the rendered skull on the top left. Also the one with the huskies. :)

Thank you very much! I'm gonna post some of my works later on today! I do like those huskies too!

Postby sanguine » Mon May 30, 2016 3:41 pm

sanguine

Good stuff! I like the skulls too, and I like how you pay close attention to how light works in an environment, based on that bedroom scene. Nice work!

Postby XFlameR » Tue May 31, 2016 12:49 am

XFlameR

sanguine wrote:Good stuff! I like the skulls too, and I like how you pay close attention to how light works in an environment, based on that bedroom scene. Nice work!

Thank you, It's not that accurate I think, there's a bunch of mistakes there, but it's a good practise to just think about where would the light go from the a source, what would it hit.

Also there are some more sketches, that I've made about skulls
16_04_26_Skulls_1.png

What I was trying to do here is just imagine the a skull below, and tried to help my sense of space with shadows and light, but i think it didn't work that well.
(note: underneath those worms like creatures supposed to be the Zygomatic with a little part of the temporal)
16_05_15_Skulls.png

By the way Zygomatic is my favourite part of the skulls in terms of shape, weird taste huh?

Here I tried to copy from a reference photo, then I tried to imagine it from another angle without any guidelines. Kind of weird, but at least I tried. :)
16_04_27_practice.jpg

Bonus before work and coffee I doodled a bit in the morning.
16_05_30_Objects.jpg

WTH is that creature? O_O pls send help!

Update: I kinda forgot to mention I marked with an "R" if the objects form a reference and with "I" if it's imaginary, just for the sake of organising. Here it's kind of pointless, and boring, but it'll have more meaning later on in my sketchbook I think.

Anyway, I was kinda lazybone today, but I'll deliver some new fresh studies about perspective. Stay tuned! ^^

Postby Koźlik » Tue May 31, 2016 3:47 pm

Koźlik

Nice skulls you have here ^^

And yeah, drawing skull from below is horror. But I guess working with reference helps (a bit). I should work on it more :lol:
Aaaaand Zygomatic is probably my fav too. High five! :)

Also one little detail: don't forget about shape of Temporal bone!

New canvas.png

Not perfect but I think that you get what I want to tell

wikipedia stuff

Also this site can help you, though the head looks too boxy for me:
http://anatomyzone.com/3d_atlas/musculo ... l-general/
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby XFlameR » Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 pm

XFlameR

Koźlik wrote:Nice skulls you have here ^^

And yeah, drawing skull from below is horror. But I guess working with reference helps (a bit). I should work on it more :lol:
Aaaaand Zygomatic is probably my fav too. High five! :)

Also one little detail: don't forget about shape of Temporal bone!

You're definitely right! All of my studies are wrong then XD. I'm pretty sure I won't miss it from now on! Thank you!

Postby Kam » Tue May 31, 2016 7:51 pm

Kam

I was wondering if you'll ever make a sketchbook, good stuff especially the paintings, I might bug you now and then for some painting tips.
Also the Sans drawing is really cute, as for the other skulls I feel like their proportions could be better, skulls vary from person to person and there aren't any strict proportions for them but I think it'll help to learn the general proportions and apply them, after that deviating from them while being aware of them gives better results, at least... that's what I've figured so far. I haven't studied skulls much myself, maybe I should.

Postby XFlameR » Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 pm

XFlameR

Kam wrote:I was wondering if you'll ever make a sketchbook, good stuff especially the paintings, I might bug you now and then for some painting tips.
Also the Sans drawing is really cute, as for the other skulls I feel like their proportions could be better, skulls vary from person to person and there aren't any strict proportions for them but I think it'll help to learn the general proportions and apply them, after that deviating from them while being aware of them gives better results, at least... that's what I've figured so far. I haven't studied skulls much myself, maybe I should.

I was wondering the same thing myself, but I felt like I really need to give it a shot and create a sketchbook. I'm glad you like it, I've been painting for a long time now, but it has the lack of structure yet so it isn't enough yet, so that's why I'm trying to draw more.
Just feel free to bug me about it anytime. :)

Sans is my favourite character from the whole Undertale world + I love his style, even the alternative worlds that the fans created around the original story.

I totally agree with your point of proportions, I didn't put enough emphasis yet for it to get it better. However it's been bothering me lately so I'll make a change about it!
I think it's good to know about skulls or I'd rather say about the skeletal system and of the muscles, They eventually give the structure for the face and body (obviously haha). So I'd give it a try :)

Postby XFlameR » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:39 pm

XFlameR

I've just practised a little bit yesterday.

I'm terrible at perspective so this is the time to build up stuff HA!

What I've done here is just trying to figure it out how will the lines converge to the vanishing point, and doing it by freehand. After I drew lines over them to check if I was right about their angles, and circle it in if I there was a mismatch.

CAM00416.jpg

CAM00420.jpg

16_06_02.jpg

16_06_02_1.jpg

Also I've drawn some faces. I've failed to do 50 though, and most of them is just terrible for now, it'll better next time.

CAM00413.jpg

CAM00410.jpg

CAM00407.jpg

This one just kind of silly stuff
CAM00407.png

Bonus stuff because I was bored:
CAM00407_1.png

Postby XFlameR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:08 pm

XFlameR

I realised I need to work on my line control much more, so I did that.
It's supper messy, maybe I'm doing it slow perhaps?

16_06_04_6.jpg

More of it in the spoiler:
16_06_04_5.jpg

16_06_04_3.jpg

16_06_04_1.jpg

16_06_04_4.jpg

Postby Telepurte » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Telepurte

I think with perspective, the main thing to think about is "Where is the horizon?" and with that you can extrapolate the information of "What am I looking up at, and what am I looking down on?"

It's a bit of an intuitive approach but I think it's worth giving a try.
I'm no perspective guru but I think those 3 questions really help with understanding it, at least in my case!
Good luck! Keep it up!
Hey, before you keep browsin', check my art out if you haven't already!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17763
http://telepurte.deviantart.com/

Postby XFlameR » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:12 pm

XFlameR

Telepurte wrote:I think with perspective, the main thing to think about is "Where is the horizon?" and with that you can extrapolate the information of "What am I looking up at, and what am I looking down on?"

It's a bit of an intuitive approach but I think it's worth giving a try.
I'm no perspective guru but I think those 3 questions really help with understanding it, at least in my case!
Good luck! Keep it up!

Thank you, those 3 questions totally makes sense and sums up a decent part of the perspective. I think I'm more intuitive than analytical, so it might work as well. Thank you for the tipp!

Postby Moe » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 am

Moe

Seems like you're doing pretty well with those boxes. Once you comfortable with plotted perspective try freehand and stuff. But most importantly, you try to actually apply it. It's very difficult to apply and I have trouble with it as well but I think looking up the works of guys like Krenz Cushart will give you an idea of how to effectively apply boxes and cylinders to the human body.

Postby Kam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:23 am

Kam

I think I'm more intuitive too but I'm not sure, things getting too technical do surely give me a headache... anyway I If you want to make your freehand perspective more accurate what you're doing with checking to see if they're going towards the vanishing point is a great thing to do, when it gets to those box rotations it gets hard to do that so you'll have to rely on your eyes more, which can be hard because sometimes we don't see our own problems but this sketchbook can really help solve that since others will see it and will probably notice if something isn't working.
What Moe said is also really true, I'm still trying to work on applying this stuff properly but it'll work out eventually I guess.

Postby XFlameR » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:44 am

XFlameR

@Moe
Thank you. I was doing a little of a freehand stuff yesterday, but I still tend to draw bent lines instead of straight ones without seeing it. My other bad habit would be that I fall back to doing chicken scratches when my hand gets tired. I agree with that I need apply it too :)

@Kam
Getting too technical confuses me too, especially when I need to apply it on anatomy, I barely can think in accurate forms. For example drawing a hand with forms with their backfaces(those sides of the form which covered by the object itself this could be the back side of an object) I get confused in seconds without knowing it. Another problem is maintaining proportions in perspective.

Of course we can see each other's problems and errors in drawing, and we can tell if there's any problems in it. The one problem I have with this I'm not always sure about my "feelings" if a drawing has a flaw, or if it's meant to be a drawing that I'm allowed to observe and search for errors in it. These last two mainly bit of social inability stuff :P But I'm grateful we could help each other out!

Postby XFlameR » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:07 am

XFlameR

Also I did a little sketch stuff 3 days ago with those DrawABox sketches...

Layer_3.jpg

Layer_4.jpg

Layer_5.jpg

Layer_6.jpg

And I did bit of perspecitve "study" (wouldn't called that because it's more like a random stuff imho) the day before yesterday and yesterday.

I accidentally deleted part of the layer where I was checking the angles with reddish straight lines...
16_06_06.jpg

Random stuffs:
Random_16_06_07.jpg

Random_16_06_07_1.jpg

Bonus hand sketches:

16_06_07_hand_iterative.jpg

16_06_07_hands_grabbing_1.jpg

Postby Koźlik » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:16 pm

Koźlik

Hi, nice studies :)

I like the cat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Also I like details in kitchen countertop and shading on apples.

Keep on doing good stuff :)
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby XFlameR » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 pm

XFlameR

Koźlik wrote:Hi, nice studies :)

I like the cat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Also I like details in kitchen countertop and shading on apples.

Keep on doing good stuff :)

Thank you! Well that cat... :D

Postby Steeliebob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Steeliebob

Those hands look very good. And also like the line practice on the tablet. I should do those digitally at one point. =P

Postby XFlameR » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:05 am

XFlameR

Well... it's been awhile that I posted anything. I don't even want to say and explain why...
The thing is I have few fresh sketches, even more fresh determination to continue my sketchbook.

For a start more Drawabox stuff, however I didn't try make progress at it for while now
2016, 11th of June:

2016, 1st of July:

Somehow I got bored, still I think I might restart the drawabox lessons both traditionally and digitally.

I was having troubles with drawing poses or "characters"

Then yesterday I dedicated many hours of copying gestures

While we were drawing and having a google hangout session sharing our screens, Ahsoothe pointed out I was doing it wrong. So I did a bunch more with actionlines
the difference:

Some more sketches from mind:

I was trying to figure out the form of the pelvis. Maybe I'm not ready for it though.

I felt my sense of form wasn't good enough, while we were still having the hangout session from the gesture drawing, Lasse showed me that I could use boxes for get better accuracy of the sense of depth.
Maybe the only problem was I wasn't paying attention of it's proportion so it looks bit stretched along the front and back. :)

Also I did some random things for fun
Some more in the spoiler:

Plus I started my own Illustration project about own mythical creatures

I'm really glad that I had a bit of help :) I want to thank Ahsoothe and Lasse for noticing and for the suggestions.
Next Goal: Get better understanding of forms and perspective.

Postby Ahsoothe » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:37 am

Ahsoothe

The before-after of the gestures are really good! It is very noticeable when you look at the shoulders and arms. Your lines are not just contour lines now, they have a motion in them. Happy it worked!
And man, I loved that first mouse man! I haven't seen the finished work back then. The beard ended up pretty nice! And he's definitely not "cute" this time :P
Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll make progress preeeetty well

Postby XFlameR » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:44 am

XFlameR

Ahsoothe wrote:The before-after of the gestures are really good! It is very noticeable when you look at the shoulders and arms. Your lines are not just contour lines now, they have a motion in them. Happy it worked!
And man, I loved that first mouse man! I haven't seen the finished work back then. The beard ended up pretty nice! And he's definitely not "cute" this time :P
Keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll make progress preeeetty well

Thank you Ahsoothe! I'm still figuring out stuff for the mouse man! :)

Also I'm going to do a little update.
I mean now haha!

So first of all I did some line control practice:

I did a bit of form studies Finally!

I'm not sure about if it counts as form studies but I tried rotate a real object (that's right besides me) in my mind.
So I tried use my binocular vision to perceive depth and understand the form.

And for fun few illustration stuff again:

And 2 thumbnail studies for the sake of variety

These are one, just separetad them because of the 1000px limit.

Postby Kam » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Kam

I really like this one, the colors are really pretty, the other paintings are pretty nice too of course. especially the orange thumbnails, the dog one is really cute and they're all pretty creative in general.
Also I noticed the way you do lighting is pretty neat, I'm struggling understanding lighting... I'm not sure how one color looks like under different lighting conditions, is referencing going to help give me a "feel" for it or is there something I should learn other than that? I feel kinda lost... I'm stubborn when it comes to using references so I've made it hard for myself, other than that I don't do reference paintings much so I guess all those are reasons why I still find things confusing.

Postby XFlameR » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:08 pm

XFlameR

Kam wrote:I really like this one, the colors are really pretty, the other paintings are pretty nice too of course. especially the orange thumbnails, the dog one is really cute and they're all pretty creative in general.
Also I noticed the way you do lighting is pretty neat, I'm struggling understanding lighting... I'm not sure how one color looks like under different lighting conditions, is referencing going to help give me a "feel" for it or is there something I should learn other than that? I feel kinda lost... I'm stubborn when it comes to using references so I've made it hard for myself, other than that I don't do reference paintings much so I guess all those are reasons why I still find things confusing.

Thank you Kam! :) This means a lot to me. ^^ But I honestly think you do have a really good value studies, you've already caught up to me. haha :D

This gonna be a bit long to explain It might be overwhelming but I try to be as short as I can and do a summary.

Few resources
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/a2/2f/48/a22f482e97742a965996058157bcb157.jpg
http://www.floobynooby.com/ICG/artvalues.html
http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

Summary that could help:
Do grayscale studies from real world
Sycra's Foundation of Light series
Experiencing light and shadows with paper buildings and with a table lamp or CGI rendered images. +photography knowledge of lights maybe
Perspective applies to lights too

Use colours, get confident at them (I know it's easy to say but trust me)
Lazure painting method
Applying colours directly,
Hue shifting while you change a colour's value
Colour blending, mixing digitally could help you.

Lightning
Light referencing, I'm not sure what that is really. But it definitely helps if you paint grayscale studies from real world. I would even recommend you to watch Sycra's Foundation of Light series.

However the feeling... I think that comes naturally as you experience more and more. But here's what I've done so far. I gave my PC-s a lot of hard times, rendering out basic primitive shapes with different light sources, 3 point lighting, and another different custom arrangements. Light arrangement knowledge also could be learned form photography books I guess. But experiencing light and shadow changes as you vary things around is the best I guess.
My good ol' graphic designer/art teacher also suggested me to make little paper boxes as models of different buildings and play around with the table lamp and kind of another lights.

The other trick to shadows, they all applies the perspective rules too. So they could act as a viewpoint. But I think that's overkill because it can be very confusing, and too technical in some scenarios. But it could be very helpful when you have a table lamp in your scene, and you want to know how would the light spread from the bulb.

Colouring
Use colours directly might help understand colours as well, experiencing with colours is a different story than learn the theory behind it.
I won't lie, if someone tries that for the first time it could turn out badly (and I have hundreds of terrible attempts too), but that's okay, the key is to get confident at colouring.

There's two ways. One is that the painters did in the very old times, the technique called lazure painting.
The point there to get done the values in grayscale, or in brownish-grayscale with real pigments. (at least at oil-painting)
Then add layers of very thin transparent colours top of it. The key here you can mix colours by having multiple layers of them on each other while they already have values.
I haven't tried it with oil-painting yet so much. But in Photoshop they're layers top of each other with some kind of blending mode.

The other one is using the colours straight, mark down the important shapes with big brushstrokes then painting more and more detailed. Something like this:

This is another thing that I'm really bad at currently in my opinion. The tricky part here, you need to avoid to get stuck in the details.

Other important thing that could help is the ability of blending colours on the canvas, because you can alter a colour with that. Like I have that magenta colour on the bike, then I could use the mixer brush in Photoshop with a dark blue colour and mix a new colour out of the two. Maybe it's inaccurate but I felt right about it somehow. Maybe that's a bit of lazy way to do it while everyone tries to figure out the right proportion of the mixture between two colours.

I also vary the hue value of a colour if I go to brighter colour or darker colour in values. So if you look closely at the orange stuffs that I made, I use more yellowish hue for the highlights and orange hue for mid-tones, more reddish hue for shadows. Of course depending on the mood, that varies how far you would twist the hue from the original colour. Too much hue shift can be weird and surrealistic, and too little or none of the hue shift can result in flat or muddy feel.(especially at yellow and other bright colours) The shadow part could depend on the other light sources. Like if you have skylight you might turn the shadows bit bluish, because where the sun's shadow on the object can be reached by a skylight for example.

So on digital medium you can do colour blending as well, just have to be aware of that's not works exactly the same as real pigments. For example if you mix red and green, with real pigments you would get dark brown colour, comparison on the digital canvas you would get an orangish-mustard yellow kind a thing depending how deep you mixed the red with the green.

Next

Return to Sketchbook